closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Piano for 7 Year Old

Piano for 7 Year Old

My so has started piano lessons so we’re looking for something he can practice on at home. Something electronic as they take up less space. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good starter piano? Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My so has started piano lessons so we’re looking for something he can practice on at home. Something electronic as they take up less space. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good starter piano? Thanks.
    My daughter started on a Korg SP-170S when she was 7 and after stops and start, it has worked for her up to grade 4. If she keeps going, which I think she will, I'll replace it with an upright before the end of the year. The Korg was perfect to get her started, good weighted keys, single peddle, and the headphone jack was a bonus.

Master

Piano for 7 Year Old

My daughters teacher recommended the Yamaha electronic piano. It’’s fairly large and heavy but smaller than a piano.

The key factors are full size keys, key feel that is similar to a piano ( degree of resistance and able to respond to play differently with different pressure). Also need a few octaves to have a full keyboard.

Oh, and a headphone socket !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 25th September 2020 at 19:54.

Piano for 7 Year Old

We bought a Yamaha P-60 (with stand) second hand through Gumtree for about £250 about 5 years ago when my oldest was learning. The piano was already a few years old when we bought it. Renting a piano was expensive and the one we bought paid for itself in no time. Plus we still have it.

Full size electronic keyboard and highly recommended. As mentioned above you can plug in a headphone so your kids can practise without any noise. Plus it has a library of songs, so you can set it to play Beethoven while you fart around on the ivories looking like a pro.

Last edited by noTAGlove; 25th September 2020 at 16:44. Reason: photo added

Drop me a PM if you want a new Roland or Casio piano at a preferential price. We have trade accounts with both companies.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Drop me a PM if you want a new Roland or Casio piano at a preferential price. We have trade accounts with both companies.
    Thanks. Once I’ve done some research I definitely will.

And thanks everyone else for the comments so far.

Master
    My 7yo plays fine on our Roland FP30. I don't think you can go too far wrong with the big manufactures provided it feels somewhat like a real piano (as opposed to a keyboard).

The FP-30 is a lovely piano. I'd recommend it above the FP-60 and FP-90. The FP-10 is also a good entry level choice but the key-bed in the FP-30 is outstanding.

Yonks ago my missus (who is a player for a local Church) told me she needed a piano at home to practice on. Luckily living in the big city at the time it was one evening spent at a local music shop. I know she really wanted an upright but luckily she is a practical lass and so we ended up with a Roland RD-100 digital piano (discontinued now). She's been on it for ~3-6 hrs a week for the last 20 yrs and still has no desire to 'upgrade'.

It has the midi outs so she can in theory link it to a laptop and get a gazillion sounds from it - but after doing it once she never did it again.

The take home from this, a digital piano can be fairly small, it can be a v good imitation feel wise of the 'real thing' and you can make the player use head phones, might you the pedal going up and down is noisey so even w headphones you don't want it in the same room if you are trying to watch TV etc at the same time.

Get a digital one, with proper feeling keys.

Testament to the quality of Roland's instruments. Good to hear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Yamaha P-515 earlier this year and have to say its a fantastic piano.

Probably I bit overkill fir me to learn on but my thought process was if I go with an entry level piano and progress quickly I would be looking to upgrade so bit the bullet and bought a half decent, mid range model which should last me while.

Sadly it’s wasted on me but fills a corner nicely and has a massive bank of pieces I can listen too all day long.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Thanks again for comments, does anyone have one of these and if so what are your thoughts?

https://music.casio.co.uk/cdps100

Master
    I bought a Casio Privia PX-150 for my daughter. Her teacher insisted it should have weighted keys and a full size keyboard, which this does.

To my untutored ear it sounds and feels very bit like a real piano, very impressive.
    One if he keys has lost its weighting though, so it’s currently in for repair under warranty. 4 years 11 months into the 5 year warranty, how lucky is that?!?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    We bought a Yamaha P-60 (with stand) second hand through Gumtree for about £250 about 5 years ago when my oldest was learning. The piano was already a few years old when we bought it. Renting a piano was expensive and the one we bought paid for itself in no time. Plus we still have it.

Full size electronic keyboard and highly recommended. As mentioned above you can plug in a headphone so your kids can practise without any noise. Plus it has a library of songs, so you can set it to play Beethoven while you fart around on the ivories looking like a pro.

I had this exact model. I took piano lessons and got to grade 6 as a teenager. Bought one of these when I wanted to get back into it. Really good and actually much better than practicing on an old upright with uneven keys and other “quirks” like I did as a kid.

One thing I did was ditch the cheap “off/on” sustain pedal that came with it (can’t see what you are using) and buy the one that allows a more graduated sustain variation...don’t think it was expensive.

When I get a house with more space, I think I’ll invest in another digital piano and actually try to improve and maybe take some lessons again. Kind of depressing that I spent so much time learning something and after yet another 10-years of not touching the keyboard again, I’d struggle to play.

Something like this is ideal for a 7-year old and should see them through many years.
    Last edited by Christian; 4th October 2020 at 09:13.

Thanks again everyone. Really useful experience/advice.

We bought our lad (11 at the time) a Yamaha cdp-120. It's full size with weighted keys and it's never missed a beat.
    Think it's been replaced with 130 but if you keep your eye on ebay or gumtree they normally come up at a decent price with the stand etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Costco often has good deals on Casio pianos.

I've always been a Roland player, FWIW.

We’ve been recommended the Korg B2. Has anyone tried / seen any good deals around?