closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Transferring iPad contents to new iPad

Transferring iPad contents to new iPad

I have been tasked to sort my fathers new iPad and get the old contents onto the new one. Now i would use iCloud to transfer over but my Dad is either too tight or doesn't want to take the simple way! So can this be done over bluetooth / wifi? I have a MacBook would it be quicker to back up on the laptop and transfer that way - but is that going to cause problems with different iTunes accounts... I think its a 16GB version so not masses of data. Anyone done this recently? Thanks!
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 25th September 2020 at 14:07.

SydR
    Not done it recently with an iPad but did so with an iPhone.

It was a simple process of following a few instructions on the new device to link it to the old one and everything copied over seamlessly. No iCloud, laptop or anything.

I believe there are iOS version limitations on what works that way so would be good to know more about the device you plan to transfer from.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Not done it recently with an iPad but did so with an iPhone.

It was a simple process of following a few instructions on the new device to link it to the old one and everything copied over seamlessly. No iCloud, laptop or anything.

I believe there are iOS version limitations on what works that way so would be good to know more about the device you plan to transfer from.
    Ah yes forgot to mention he is only running IOS 10.3.3 and can't get 11 because of age of iPad

Back up old one with iTunes on laptop or iMac, restore back up to new one from iTunes.

It's how I do it. I don't trust iCloud or wi-fi after nearly bricking an iPhone when the connection dropped out suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Back up old one with iTunes on laptop or iMac, restore back up to new one from iTunes.

It's how I do it. I don't trust iCloud or wi-fi after nearly bricking an iPhone when the connection dropped out suddenly.
    That probably won't work if the old iPad was on 10.x and the new one is on 13.x/14.x

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    That probably won't work if the old iPad was on 10.x and the new one is on 13.x/14.x
    It should work fine. When you restore it will update the iOS but still transfer all his stuff over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    Won't work if the new iPad is running an older version than the old iPad but so long as the new iPad is running the same iOS version or newer then it will be simple.

If you're cheap use a computer and be prepared to wait around as the usb is only 2.0.

I would personally pay for iCloud if you're over the 5gb allowance. If you're super cheap you can just pay for one month and downgrade after. Everyone I know is too cheap or doesn't understand what iCloud does so I'm the mug paying for the family plan everyone else uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

This the method I used (twice) and it works.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It’s hardly big money for the iCloud storage.
    50GB plan is 79p/month and the 200GB plan is £2.49/month.

Getting a new iPad (or phone) up and running has got to be one of the easiest task on the planet.Pay the 79p and get it done in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It’s hardly big money for the iCloud storage.
    50GB plan is 79p/month and the 200GB plan is £2.49/month.

Getting a new iPad (or phone) up and running has got to be one of the easiest task on the planet.Pay the 79p and get it done in a few minutes.
    Yes that's what I want to do but my Dad doesn't see it like that. Quite happy to give Apple 500 notes but isn't willing to pay up 79p - parental IT eh!

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Yes that's what I want to do but my Dad doesn't see it like that. Quite happy to give Apple 500 notes but isn't willing to pay up 79p - parental IT eh!
    If you have any iOS devices yourself just add him to your family plan. Worthwhile

Master
    Blog Entries
    Minimum iso 11 onwards to Bluetooth between devices did my phones yesterday and sure that’s the figure