closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe Ceramic.

Craftsman

Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe Ceramic.

Went with a friend on Tuesday this week to look at the Blue Dial Ceramic Bathyscaphe 43.5mm hes looking at buying.
    I must say, it's absolutely stunning in the flesh. I was a bit dismissive on the way, and held no notion I would be at all enamored with it... The date window at 4. 30, all that empty dial with the little hour markers.. Nahhhh not for me, how wrong I was.
    The ceramic case is a kind of gun metal, and really compliments the stunning Blue dial.
    The only stumbling block is they won't move on price from the RRP.
    Are discounts available for Blancpain in the UK?
    He may be better of waiting as I told him I'm pretty sure you could get a discount when you return to UK.
    However, he is pretty sure they will contact him this evening and any sort of discount will tip him over the edge...
    Anyone of this parish have one of these?

As they say, pictures don't do this watch justice... Especially mine ;)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That is one classy diver, the dial looks gorgeous.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the RRP on it?

Discounts are available via the greys. Check with Heritage Watches if they have one, if not e-mail them and ask if they can get you one.

https://www.heritagewatches.co.uk/blancpain

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    That is one classy diver, the dial looks gorgeous.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the RRP on it?
    GBP is 10,700. the price he was quoted is slightly less, cant remember the exact amount but if memory serves, think it was about 100 GBP less.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Discounts are available via the greys. Check with Heritage Watches if they have one, if not e-mail them and ask if they can get you one.

https://www.heritagewatches.co.uk/blancpain
    Thanks for this, will pass it on..... somehow i get the feeling he's going to buckle before hand..... hahaha

EDIT. just had a look at the link provided, some excellent savings on the ones linked.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    GBP is 10,700. the price he was quoted is slightly less, cant remember the exact amount but if memory serves, think it was about 100 GBP less.
    Thanks. Offering a 100 discount on a >10000 watch is a bit of an insult though, isn't it? If I were the retailer and that was really all the room I'd have to play with, I'd offer a free or discounted first service or another strap or something.

That does look lovely but just looking at those lovely svelte lugs makes my spine crawl. 10k to wear something that you’ll have to baby for fear of snapping a lug off?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    That does look lovely but just looking at those lovely svelte lugs makes my spine crawl. 10k to wear something that you’ll have to baby for fear of snapping a lug off?
    You fear that because the case is ceramic and not steel?

That is indeed the reason.

Master
    Me too, we have seen ceramic watches damaged like that and recasing is an expensive business.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Me too, we have seen ceramic watches damaged like that and recasing is an expensive business.
    How many though? For all the talk of ceramic’s brittleness, with the number of watches out
    there, I see very little actual evidence. Usually it’s the same two photos of IWCs.

Not a fan of the steel or the grey ceramic model, but love the black.

I suspect the number of instances where owners have damaged their ceramic cased watch is low, compared to numbers sold but how many people have bought one and then been overly precious with it? The most horrific example for a while was an IWC but then I saw an Omega DSOTM with a sheared off lug and a gaping wound in the case and that was it for me. Even more so when I read that the damaged case wasn’t covered under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    How many though? For all the talk of ceramic’s brittleness, with the number of watches out
    there, I see very little actual evidence. Usually it’s the same two photos of IWCs.

Journeyman
    I have to say that puts me right off ceramic cases. You'd probably need to drop it from a height onto a concrete floor to break a lug, but still, a steel case would just have a scratch.

Craftsman
    The Bathyscaphe is like marmite. A lot of people preffer the traditonal fift fathoms.

If they made this in a 40MM, none LTD i'd add one right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post

It is a tired old cliche that some bring up every time ceramic watches are mentioned. I have a bunch of ceramic case watches and all remain pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is a tired old cliche that some bring up every time ceramic watches are mentioned. I have a bunch of ceramic case watches and all remain pristine.
    Desk diving background or sub-sea welder? They will remain pristine until knocked hard or dropped from high enough. Science is science. Invariably, the harder the brittler.

I've owned lots of ceramic cased watches and I don't really baby them. When I sold them on they still looked brand new, it is a tough material and light weight of course. Steel or ceramic? Ceramic every time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've owned lots of ceramic cased watches and I don't really baby them. When I sold them on they still looked brand new, it is a tough material and light weight of course. Steel or ceramic? Ceramic every time for me.
    Fair play and to each his own.

Love the Bathyscaphe... and luckily enough, BP cover all the bases with SS, Ceramic and Titanium. 40mm would be perfect (for me)

Far out of my budget, but none of the Bathyscaphes do much for me.

I thought maybe I needed to see it in person, but no.

The traditional Fifty Fathoms (simple black 3 hander on a sailcloth strap), though, would be a definite lottery win purchase.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?