closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1970 Speedmaster MK2 bracelet service or replacement?

Master

1970 Speedmaster MK2 bracelet service or replacement?

Hiya,
    I’ve just got a 1970 MK2 with the 1162 bracelet . It looks a little worst for wear although it functions fine. An STS service on it was quoted as £250 or about £400 for the service replacement. Any other options ? What would you do?
    Cheers,
    Chris.

Blog Entries
    At those prices I’d get a service replacement.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    At those prices I’d get a service replacement.
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. Are you a speedy owner? I wondered if the service item replacement was leaps and bounds above the original quality wise? Keeping things original seems to be important to Speedy folk so I just wondered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the original as part of the set and look for a decent second hand one for everyday use or better still, buy an Uncle Seiko Omega bracelet for less than £100. When it's on the wrist no one will see the difference.

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/c20/Omega.html

I like the look of the uncle seiko flat link ,anyone got one ? Is it worth the money? it will save my 1039 getting used but give me the look.Do his shipments come through ok?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure he does a MKII replacement bracelet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Keep the original as part of the set and look for a decent second hand one for everyday use or better still, buy an Uncle Seiko Omega bracelet for less than £100. When it's on the wrist no one will see the difference.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master

Cheers they do look the part :) I’ve a MK2 1970 speedy. Do these bracelets come with a narrower 20mm link and then come out to 24mm like the originals do? I might drop them an email as all of the pics are FOIS not MK2 .
    Thanks for the heads up:)

Master
    Well, a quick thread and an easy solution... ordered a new one today from Ernest Jones ...thanks folks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simon Freese may be able to rebuild the original...
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Uncle Seiko has a UK site for his Seiko stuff but I haven't been able to find a UK link for the Omega bracelets. Isn't there one or am I just being stupid? I actually have a couple of NOS Omega 1175 clasp covers that I'm hoping would fit the US1035 flat link bracelet, for my 1968 Transition Speedy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Uncle Seiko has a UK site for his Seiko stuff but I haven't been able to find a UK link for the Omega bracelets. Isn't there one or am I just being stupid? I actually have a couple of NOS Omega 1175 clasp covers that I'm hoping would fit the US1035 flat link bracelet, for my 1968 Transition Speedy.
    Uncle Seiko has no Omega fit stock in Europe as yet so if you want a US Omega bracelet you have to order from the USA and pay VAT on the way in. Yes Omega clasp covers fit the US flat link well. Here is an incentive, these are both Uncle Seiko Flat Link bracelets:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Simon Freese may be able to rebuild the original...
    I may well send it to him at some point. It’s had its day I think. Mine is actually an October 1969 so it should have had the other type of bracelet on anyway... the one that’s impossible to get now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I may well send it to him at some point. It’s had its day I think. Mine is actually an October 1969 so it should have had the other type of bracelet on anyway... the one that’s impossible to get now. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some Omega replacement braclets have a habit of being a bit rattly and less solid (I have three!). Mine all replaced knackered bracelets, one day I may follow my own advice and see if I can have them rebuilt.
    "A man of little significance"

uncle seiko flat link ordered,lets see what its like when it lands
    Last edited by peter2704; 26th September 2020 at 10:29.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Some Omega replacement braclets have a habit of being a bit rattly and less solid (I have three!). Mine all replaced knackered bracelets, one day I may follow my own advice and see if I can have them rebuilt.
    Mine was polished to bits. All pin arrows were gone , all definition gone . Clasp was slightly clicky and somebody has modified/repaired the first link .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 26th September 2020 at 10:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Uncle Seiko has no Omega fit stock in Europe as yet so if you want a US Omega bracelet you have to order from the USA and pay VAT on the way in. Yes Omega clasp covers fit the US flat link well. Here is an incentive, these are both Uncle Seiko Flat Link bracelets:

Thanks for that. I’ll get one ordered. I have at least one, possibly two, NOS clasp covers left. Obviously you were able to source some as well. I bought a few of these, together with a NOS complete clasp for a 1175 (No.12) bracelet, although I wasn’t sure what bracelet it was for at the time. As it turned out I had an old, broken bracelet that had come off a ‘straight writing’ Speedy and the clasp was correct for it. Just one of the rare times the stars align.

Master
    Pity uncle Seiko doesn’t cater for MK2 lugs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Mine was polished to bits. All pin arrows were gone , all definition gone . Clasp was slightly clicky and somebody has modified/repaired the first link .

I could be wrong, but I don’t think that bracelet is as old as the watch. The original 1171 bracelets of that era had a trapezoid shaped logo and AFAIK the 1162 was the same. They are essentially the same bracelet apart from the first & second link which flares out to 22+mm.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don’t think that bracelet is as old as the watch. The original 1171 bracelets of that era had a trapezoid shaped logo and AFAIK the 1162 was the same. They are essentially the same bracelet apart from the first & second link which flares out to 22+mm.
    I think you are right . I have no trust in it though as some of the link pins are half gone and it’s got so much horizontal play in the pins that IMHO it is a liability .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 26th September 2020 at 16:42.