closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorway Speed limits to be reduced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Mid-march we went from 120 km/hr (±75 mph) to 100 km km/hr (± 62 mph) here in The Netherlands.

It's a total disaster!

Driving hasn't become easier, simply because it's slower nowadays. All cars now have more or less the same speed. As if you're driving along in a 62 mph traffic jam! One needs to be ultra-alert. Lorries start overtaking as well on dual carriageways, because the speed difference on the two lanes is more or less gone. That causes long 'tails' of cars behind the lorry - and that 'tail' goes on for miles after the lorry has gone, because all cars accelerate to 62 mph and stay close to each other.

So the argument: 'it's safer' has gone out of the window. The number of accidents hasn't come down simply because they're not longer caused by speed difference, they're now caused by not keeping enough distance.

I still think that the French and (mandatory) Italian system works best: 90 km/hr for lorries on the inner lane, on the middle lane 110 km/hr for those who want to drive calmly/save fuel and 130 km/hr on the lane for overtaking.

M
    This is a very good point and needs passing on to MPs. The experience of driving is becoming increasingly soul destroying. While cars have evolved into amazingly capable machines, governments have become increasingly good at preventing you from using them. Motorway journeys have become a nightmare, with endless average speed checks that have you more focused on your sat nav than the road. The experience of driving on a so called smart motorway is deeply unpleasant and dangerous with it, never mind the experience of years of road works to convert to them. Some account needs to be taken of the need to actually enjoy life, and travel at a speed that feels natural for the cars we drive these days. I’m no fan of pollution and appreciate the need for safety, but follow these arguments to their natural conclusion and we’d never be allowed out of our houses.

Travelling as close as possible is the best way to cut emissions by lowering drag. It works for F1 cars, and they have a wheel at each corner too. Of course it is better to be right up the chuff of a Chelsea Tractor if you are a woman driving a Fiat 500 in the correct direction down a motorway.

My inner troll makes me say these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Indeed, as you say, mpg is a measure of consumption over a distance, not time.
    Oh right, for work we're more interested in l/hr than anything else so I totally forgot you can measure it by distance too.

Master
    It pisses me off because it’s lazy. Of course it reduces emissions if we go slower. But it also makes everything take longer. If 60 makes it better why not lower the limit to 50? Or maybe 40? In fact why not just get people back into horses and carts because otherwise what’s the point of having an automobile capable of faster speeds if we hobble it through moronic legislation?

Motorway Speed limits to be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    It pisses me off because it’s lazy. Of course it reduces emissions if we go slower. But it also makes everything take longer. If 60 makes it better why not lower the limit to 50? Or maybe 40? In fact why not just get people back into horses and carts because otherwise what’s the point of having an automobile capable of faster speeds if we hobble it through moronic legislation?
    Things will take less time at 80 so why not raise the limit, or why not 90 or why have a limit at all?

Perhaps a better question is why design, build and manufacture a car capable of much faster speeds when the fastest speed that can be legally achieved is 70mph? And following that line, who would be stupid enough to waste their money buying a car capable of much faster speeds? Surely that's the moronic thing to do?

An unfortunate truth for those of us that like a bit of speed is, as we place higher capacity demands on our road systems, they actually work more efficiently at lower speeds with vehicles traveling at the same speed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Perhaps a better question is why design, build and manufacture a car capable of much faster speeds when the fastest speed that can be legally achieved is 70mph? And following that line, who would be stupid enough to waste their money buying a car capable of much faster speeds? Surely that's the moronic thing to do?

An unfortunate truth for those of us that like a bit of speed is, as we place higher capacity demands on our road systems, they actually work more efficiently at lower speeds with vehicles traveling at the same speed.
    The maximum speed is just a consequence of the car being designed to accelerate well at lower speeds, and cruise at motorway speeds with reasonably low revs. It’s not as if anyone expects to drive it with maximum revs in sixth gear, unless they’re on a race track. But if you design a car to cruise calmly and quietly at 80mph with <3000rpm, which larger capacity cars on the continent will aim for due to their higher speed limits and better roads, it will tend to top out at over 150mph. But that’s not really the point in real life. You could ask what’s the point of accelerating swiftly, handling well, being comfortable, or looking good, but if you’re going to have a tool, it’s pleasing to have one that works well. Is it too much to ask to enjoy the journey, or indeed life?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Just saw online that Highway’s England are going to be running a trial on parts of four different motorways reducing the speed limit to 60mph to help reduce pollution.
    I can’t help but feel that this is an excuse to bring in speed reductions on all motorways in due course.
    Cars are safer and cleaner than they have ever been, yet the motorist is getting squeezed in some form or other more and more.
    I remember an article by Mazda where they were trying to drive at the most fuel efficient rate. I think they aimed for 55mph in 5th gear (low revs). Better fuel efficiency will be less fuel burnt per mile.

I actually travel at about 60mph on motorways on the inside lane when I can - lot less stressful than getting worked up about hammering along at maximum speed and in reality makes no difference in travel time given the traffic loads on motorways anyway.

I don’t mind higher max limits - it leaves me space to not be cramped at 60mph. I do wish the average speed sections were 60mph not 50mph though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

I don’t mind higher max limits - it leaves me space to not be cramped at 60mph. I do wish the average speed sections were 60mph not 50mph though.
    They are raising the 50 to 60 on lots of them to get the traffic flowing better, 50 causes so many Problems.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I thought it was just the SR-71 that became more fuel efficient the faster it went.

Presumably, it would be exempt from certain taxes, too.

If it could do L. A. to D. C. in 60 minutes, London to Bath would be a doddle.

Maybe that's because the faster it went the hotter it got and the plane materials expanded to halt the leaks from the fuel tanks. On the ground, cold, it leaked fuel all over the place.

Master
    Because horses fart like the cowboys in Blazing Saddles constantly and often just as you stop to talk to a nice young lady. So more pollution.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Things will take less time at 80 so why not raise the limit, or why not 90 or why have a limit at all?
    Id happily go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Id happily go with that.
    Spoken like a true VanVan owner!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Because horses fart like the cowboys in Blazing Saddles constantly and often just as you stop to talk to a nice young lady. So more pollution.
    Yup, can't trust 'em.....

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yup, can't trust 'em.....