closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time Management

Time Management

This time next week I'll be unemployed. My current job ends on Wednesday after which point I'll be looking for new opportunities. Anyone need a CTO/CIO?

I got made redundant a decade ago and used the time and money to pursue a full time MBA and had easily the best year of my adult life. Unfortunately, I have since gained a wife and two kids, so I can't take a year out this time.
    However, financially I'm fine so there's no rush or pressure to find anything imminently.

Given the Covid situation it could be a while before I get work, so I'm beginning to think about how I'm going to spend my time.

I need structure in my life. At work I have a PA, and at home a wife. These wonderful people tell me where I should be and what I should be doing at all times. Without a calendar of events I do whatever interests me at that moment (watch forums right now for example) so I'm thinking I need to instill some rigour in my out of work time or I'll just waste it all.

Those of you that are retired or between jobs, how do you manage your time? Do you set yourself goals, targets or do you just wing it day by day?

I can't really spend more than an hour a day looking for work. That leave a lot of time in the day to fill productively. I like lots of hobbies, so was thinking about making targets like taking 10 shots off my handicap by April, cycling at least 100 miles a week, getting to grade 6 in guitar and more family stuff like helping kids homework and reading that we leave to the nanny currently. Maybe even learn another language. This way I can plan a day in chunks and dedicate myself to things I enjoy and not just waste this gift. I've never been time rich before.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?

I had some time between jobs last year and I tried to structure the day like a working day to avoid wasting it on surfing ..

* set the alarm every morning, shower, put nice clothes etc
    * had dedicated times to look for jobs
    * made (well, better half did ..) a list of projects to keep myself busy
    * started to learn German

Then my partner also changed job so we went for a 3 week holiday in Vietnam. Good times!

In between looking for jobs - i liked to get up earlier and go for a walk / get outside / exercise / sets you up for the day

Volunteer work - 2/3 times a week - feel better, meet people and chat - stay positive.

Grand Master
    Time Management course/training, it is a skill in itself and doesn`t come easily to some people.

Back in the days when I had a proper job we all had to do it, it helped me a lot and it sounds like it would help you in the future.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't been in the same position as you but have been in times when I really needed to find a new job, both when I was unemployed and not. Back then if I could submit 1-2 applications per week for a jobs that I really want to do then I would already consider it a success.
    If you don't have that much pressure to look for another job right away, I would suggest taking a little break and enjoy the time for yourself and your family.

I would start just by drawing up a daily plan for yourself. Sounds like you already know what you'd like to do outside of job hunting which is helpful.
    An example day might be:
    7-9am: Morning cycle
    11-12pm: Job hunting (e.g. speak to recruiters, browse job sites, brush up on CV)
    1-3pm: Free time (chores, hobby time)
    4-5pm: 2nd session of job hunting (optional), reach out to old colleagues and professional contacts
    5pm onwards: family time

A personal calendar (e.g. Google Calendar) could be helpful. You could add events in your diary and put reminders for important things (e.g. job hunt time, interviews, guitar lessons).

All the best and let us know how it goes!

Master
    I would agree with the work life balance advocated above. Also when brushing up your CV re energise your Linked In profile as a way to re-engage with ex colleagues and advise them you are ready for a new role. Lastly use the time to evaluate what you want to be doing over the next 5 years, is it time for a career change?

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    more family stuff like helping kids homework and reading that we leave to the nanny currently.
    Best of luck with the job search.

As you say, may don't get an opportunity to do things like the above very often so a good opportunity to get involved. I have been trying to do a little more of this also since WFH. I still don't do enough of it if I am honest with myself.

A routine will certainly help. I am finding some of the same possible issues you describe being WFH rather than in the office.

Sorry to hear your news - I have seen a couple of positions on LinkedIn over the past week actual for CTO (worth a look there to begin with?)

My partner has been out of a role since the start of the year she was part of the first wave of Covid casualties unfortunately.

The key is routine, pretty much what the previous people have written above, to keep yourself on track.

Some people use paper diaries/task lists, others online diaries, project management tools (Trello, Hive, Asana come to mind here)

4 key components:
    - something to keep yourself fit
    - something to keep yourself creative (reading trade press, latest watch news is a must in this category obviously)
    - family time
    - job search (small objectives are key here)

Best of luck with your search!

S

Master
    I was in a similar situation from March - August, also coming out of a CTO role. I found job hunting took at least three hours a day when factoring in customising CVs for roles, talking to recruiters etc. I was primarily focused on finding a new role and a good day was when I had lots of conversations in my calendar with recruiters, headhunters, ex-colleagues etc. I also spent time contribution thought leadership pieces, participating in podcasts to bolster my profile. It is a tough market! PM me if you want to have a chat.

Craftsman
    Hobbies like cooking can be great. With lock down and 4 months between roles this year, I have spent hours refining my BBQ and smoking techniques. Get a ceramic kamado BBQ for long slow cooks and fire it up in the morning for low and slow for the day. It works as a brilliant gap filler to keep you occupied without needing to over-commit time.

I also got a pizza oven and found the learning curve for the dough making, stretching and baking interesting and challenging. There are a couple of great threads on TZ for ideas and advice.

Best of luck with finding a new role.

Master
    I was in a similar situation from March - August, also coming out of a CTO role. I found job hunting took at least three hours a day when factoring in customising CVs for roles, talking to recruiters etc. I was primarily focused on finding a new role and a good day was when I had lots of conversations in my calendar with recruiters, headhunters, ex-colleagues etc. I also spent time contribution thought leadership pieces, participating in podcasts to bolster my profile. It is a tough market! PM me if you want to have a chat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    meet people and chat - stay positive.
    Trouble is, doing that with the virus apparently rampant, you'll probably end up testing positive!

There is a IT Director post advertised at Worcester NHS at the moment. It would have been CIO but for political reasons

If you want to keep your brain active during otherwise free time, there are a load of free online courses from MIT https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Avoid too much online time.

It's a massive time drain and an easy trap to fall into.

find jobs around the house, help your wife out more, read more, find new hobbies you never tried, learn new skills, excersise much more, go for long walks every day, learn a new language. dont get into a depressed rut or you may go down hill like many people out of work.

by the way if you were out of work and went to the job centre they would tell you to look for work 40 hours a week lol

Craftsman
    Yes, my role is running out out next week as well. What I've found helpful in terms of exercise is signing up for a challenge on Strava. The biggest I've done is 100km running in 1 month but there are others.

The other one is Yoga with Adrienne which offers 30 day yoga classes.

Good luck with your search! And if anyone's looking for a Group Accountant, please let me know.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Master
    I would give the nanny some time off as it sounds like you’re missing out on valuable time with your kids currently. Crack on with your hobbies! Strengthen your weaknesses. Maybe ask the wife to set up a weekly routine for you, like chores to be done in return for money? Decorating, baking and keeping your room tidy etc. Enjoy this time!

Hi all,

I have tried to start a roles and opportunities thread in the G&D.

Not sure if you think it will work but feel free to help get it going if so.