closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right 3rd Time - the PRS-25 Smiths Everest

Quote Originally Posted by M_i_G View Post
    ...Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    true enough. It’s good news for Timefactors that demand outstrips supply, let’s hope that balance can be addressed in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good evening fellow watch mates,

Finally it's possible to register again for the TF forum. Thanks Eddie!
    I'm new to this forum as well as to TF watches. After seeing some great reviews of the black 36mm Everest Explorer on YT I snagged my first PRS25.
    I am super excited. After ordering in september I right away had a Horween leather strap made for this beauty. Even though the watch was delivered about 3 weeks ago I still haven't had a chance to unpack it and slap it on the wrist, since I have been abroad. So until I get home I continue to get my daily fix in this thread.

Great pics gentlemen. As far as I'm concerned keep on posting

Cheers!
    You are in for a treat when you get back home. That's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post

Unexpected combo, but looking good. Don't you think?
    Any chance for a side-view pic so we can see the interphase between the fitted strap and the lugs, please?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    true enough. It’s good news for Timefactors that demand outstrips supply, let’s hope that balance can be addressed in the future.
    These are exceptional times. It hasn't always been like this and no doubt in due course it will correct itself. People just need to be exceptionally patient and treat Eddie with the respect he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    These are exceptional times. It hasn't always been like this and no doubt in due course it will correct itself. People just need to be exceptionally patient and treat Eddie with the respect he deserves.
    Hear hear.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Noticed that Chronomaster has one this am at £395, 2 weeks old/40mm if anyone is chasing one

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    You are in for a treat when you get back home. That's for sure
    I certainly hope so. Until I discoverd Smiths watches I never thought I would in a million years consider hommage watches. Now that has changed. I'm even getting greedy and want to have a PRS29-AM and a Navigator and a Baby Dreadnought too. This is going to be difficult because I also love german Flieger and tactical watches. For this year my watch budget is used up, but next year I have some tough decisions to make.

Thank you a lot Sir for the image. Really love the unriveted Oyster you got there. What a stunner!

+1 to that.

Journeyman
    Any chance for a side-view pic so we can see the interphase between the fitted strap and the lugs, please?
    No problem. Will do.

I certainly hope so. Until I discoverd Smiths watches I never thought I would in a million years consider hommage watches. Now that has changed. I'm even getting greedy and want to have a PRS29-AM and a Navigator and a Baby Dreadnought too. This is going to be difficult because I also love german Flieger and tactical watches. For this year my watch budget is used up, but next year I have some tough decisions to make.
    Apart from the undeniable quality of the watch, I feel the PRS25 is an especially compelling homage because of all the controversy with Rolex around the Everest expedition.
    It is like closing the circle in a way, a form of poetic justice.
    Stealing from a thieve is not a crime after all.

In my review of the 1st version I said:

"three tiny things I’d change. First, the Smiths logo. Personally I'd have gone for the old De Luxe logo and the coronet ("Big Tits") device. But then I love old Smiths. (I have, ahem, a few.) Also the Smiths’ coronet isn’t a million miles from the Rolex crown.

Second, the hour hand could do with being a tad longer, maybe a mm or two extra between the pinion and Mercedes.

Third — and being really picky — I do like the ball-end counterbalanced seconds hands on old Rolexes. It’s just a pleasing detail."

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review

Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour
    That's not what I call being super picky. I also love that brown yellow hue. I suppose that would definitely be the icing on the cake. Who knows...Perhaps someday.

Journeyman
    i know it is a long shot but if someone doesn't get on with theirs I'd love to take it off your hands :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The one thing that makes it 9.5/10 for me is Eddies milky ring.

A lovely warm acrylic crystal would have been perfection.

You cant have everything for just over 300 quid though so Im not complaining.
    Yes that would be my only negative point.

"three tiny things I’d change. First, the Smiths logo. Personally I'd have gone for the old De Luxe logo and the coronet ("Big Tits") device. But then I love old Smiths. (I have, ahem, a few.) Also the Smiths’ coronet isn’t a million miles from the Rolex crown.

Second, the hour hand could do with being a tad longer, maybe a mm or two extra between the pinion and Mercedes.

Third — and being really picky — I do like the ball-end counterbalanced seconds hands on old Rolexes. It’s just a pleasing detail."

Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.
    To add to your list, would love the revised hands (not happening) and a counter balance on the seconds sweep, maybe even the coronet on the crown instead of the S to match the logo and an update to the smiths on the case back too so it matches all around.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Hoping these are back in stock soon, hoping to pick one up this time around, gorgeous watches

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Journeyman

I agree on all counts, i’m surprised with all the revisions we’ve already seen so you never know. We could see the perfect 10 someday.

I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring.

Not easy I know, but possible with a custom made spacer perhaps.
    Doesn't sound like an easy task, finding the right crystal and fitting it onto the case. I could settle with a flat sapphire.
    For now, I just look at the watch at an angle 🤷

I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring

A milky ring is an awful thing to be suffering from Ian.
    F.T.F.A.

I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring.

Not easy I know, but possible with a custom made spacer perhaps.
    Watchmakers used to be able to cut acrylic in any shape and size. I wonder if this is still happening.
    Last edited by abraxas; 6th November 2020 at 13:58.

Journeyman
    Is it really that complicated? According to the PRS-25 blueprint the sapphire glass is 30,5 mm in diameter.
    After a quick look on eBay I have found a 30,6 mm low or high dome acrylic crystal. The 0,1 mm more is certainly a good thing to help the acrylic crystal stay in place.
    Maybe I am missing something but for me it seems to be an easy job for a local watchmaker with the correct tools.

Right 3rd Time - the PRS-25 Smiths Everest

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Is it really that complicated? According to the PRS-25 blueprint the sapphire glass is 30,5 mm in diameter.
    After a quick look on eBay I have found a 30,6 mm low or high dome acrylic crystal. The 0,1 mm more is certainly a good thing to help the acrylic crystal stay in place.
    Maybe I am missing something but for me it seems to be an easy job for a local watchmaker with the correct tools.
    No quite as the sapphire crystal has a gasket that sits between the crystal and the case:

Last edited by TheGent; 4th November 2020 at 13:55.

Journeyman
    Ok, so if we can’t use the gasket the only missing information is the inner diameter of the bezel. Maybe Eddie has this information and is willing to share with us ? With that information it is only a matter of choosing the correct crystal diameter no ?
    Last edited by Mamaw; 4th November 2020 at 14:21.

Ok, so if we can’t use the gasket the only missing information is the inner diameter of the bezel. Maybe Eddie have this information and is willing to share with us ? With that information it is only a matter of choosing the correct crystal diameter no ?
    As I understand it yes.

It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.

Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

Eddie
    Useful info - thanks Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A milky ring is an awful thing to be suffering from Ian.
    It is indeed.

Little did I know in my youth that I would have this to contend with in my 60's
    I also have the condition, but I've learned to live with it.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Yes thanks Eddie.
    When the shops reopen I will have a chat with my local watchmaker about swapping the crystal.
    The milky ring is the only thing that I am not a fan of, same with the PRS-29. I wonder if there is a way to manufacture a domed sapphire crystal without the milky ring effect.

Eddie
    Does that mean the crown is any different? Or is just the tube that changed?

Does that mean the crown is any different? Or is just the tube that changed?
    Only the tube needs to be changed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Only the tube needs to be changed.

Eddie
    How come Eddie (if you don’t me asking)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    How come Eddie (if you don’t me asking)?

How come what? If you're asking why I'm changing, it's because it's easier to change a cross threaded screw in tube than it is to change a press in tube. If you're aking why only the tube will be changed, that's because the existing crown will still screw onto the new tube.

Eddie

How come what? If you're asking why I'm changing, it's because it's easier to change a cross threaded screw in tube than it is to change a press in tube. If you're aking why only the tube will be changed, that's because the existing crown will still screw onto the new tube.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie

Yes I was asking why you were changing - certainly makes sense!

Eddie
    When is the next one out Eddie? It’s about time I bought one of your watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    When is the next one out Eddie? It’s about time I bought one of your watches!
    There are 3 available in stock today. Good luck!

There are 3 available in stock today. Good luck!
    They are not available when you try to purchase them. Sigh.

Bloody hell, that was quick, either Eddie has done his sales in 6/7 mins or the sites gone mental with those orders lol...

Anyway managed to snag (i think) one of the Black 48’s...

Closed within 4 mins. There were no Everests available at any point.

Closed

Could someone advise me on what screwdriver size I need to adjust one of the latest rivet bracelets? Thanks!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Could someone advise me on what screwdriver size I need to adjust one of the latest rivet bracelets? Thanks!
    I have done the resizing with a 1,4mm screwdriver.

I have done the resizing with a 1,4mm screwdriver.
    Thanks mate

Looks great, I missed their release back in Novemeber, it was gone within a few minutes & closed

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Looks great, I missed their release back in Novemeber, it was gone within a few minutes & closed
    Updated version coming soon and in larger numbers hopefully so you should be able to snag one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    Updated version coming soon and in larger numbers hopefully so you should be able to snag one.

Must have missed it but what updates are planned out of interest?

Lucky enough to snag one of the last of the current Everest black dial examples which is becoming a firm favorite, even demoting the Navigator, particularly since switching to a leather wrist strap.

Crown tube updates. You can find more form Eddie on that in another thread here.

Journeyman

Updates

Does anyone know what the updates will be ??

Quote Originally Posted by gubbins View Post
    Does anyone know what the updates will be ??
    I think I read it was a threaded crown tube as opposed to the current press fit version.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post

Do you reckon there going to be any changes with the hour hands?

Quote Originally Posted by billa84 View Post
    Do you reckon there going to be any changes with the hour hands?
    That was put to bed I believe in another thread...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk