closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 150 of 150

Thread: Right 3rd Time - the PRS-25 Smiths Everest

  1. #101
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65

    Right 3rd Time - the PRS-25 Smiths Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by jodydavis View Post
    Looks lovely. What bracelet do you have on it? I notice it’’s lacking the rivets.
    It's an aftermarket oyster from ebay. The end links required some tweaking but I'm loving the result
    Last edited by fogar; 26th October 2020 at 09:29.

  2. #102
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    Ití's an aftermarket oyster from ebay. The end links required some tweaking but Ií'm loving the result
    There are some good alternative oysters on ebay. A number will fit the origibal solid end links too.

    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  3. #103
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newton, MA USA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    It's an aftermarket oyster from ebay. The end links required some tweaking but I'm loving the result
    Ah thanks. Looks very nice. Iíve tried a few aftermarket oysters, but havenít had luck with the end links. Will keep looking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #104
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Czech
    Posts
    83
    It does look really cool on a rubber strap. Here is my first combo on a green rubber strap. Unexpected combo, but looking good. Don't you think?

  5. #105
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    It does look really cool on a rubber strap. Here is my first combo on a green rubber strap. Unexpected combo, but looking good. Don't you think?
    Looks great on that rubber strap! Congrats

  6. #106
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    Good evening fellow watch mates,

    Finally it's possible to register again for the TF forum. Thanks Eddie!
    I'm new to this forum as well as to TF watches. After seeing some great reviews of the black 36mm Everest Explorer on YT I snagged my first PRS25.
    I am super excited. After ordering in september I right away had a Horween leather strap made for this beauty. Even though the watch was delivered about 3 weeks ago I still haven't had a chance to unpack it and slap it on the wrist, since I have been abroad. So until I get home I continue to get my daily fix in this thread.

    Great pics gentlemen. As far as I'm concerned keep on posting

    Cheers!

  7. #107
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by M_i_G View Post
    Good evening fellow watch mates,

    Finally it's possible to register again for the TF forum. Thanks Eddie!
    I'm new to this forum as well as to TF watches. After seeing some great reviews of the black 36mm Everest Explorer on YT I snagged my first PRS25.
    I am super excited. After ordering in september I right away had a Horween leather strap made for this beauty. Even though the watch was delivered about 3 weeks ago I still haven't had a chance to unpack it and slap it on the wrist, since I have been abroad. So until I get home I continue to get my daily fix in this thread.

    Great pics gentlemen. As far as I'm concerned keep on posting

    Cheers!
    Congratulations on ordering one - you wonít be disappointed when you open that box...!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    As strange as it sounds I guess congratulations are indeed not entirely out of place. Little did I know how difficult it is to get one. First try first hit. Somehow it almost feels a bit like all those long time Smiths fans who already tried several times deserve it more than I do. On the other hand...Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

  9. #109
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by M_i_G View Post
    ...Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    true enough. Itís good news for Timefactors that demand outstrips supply, letís hope that balance can be addressed in the future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by M_i_G View Post
    Good evening fellow watch mates,

    Finally it's possible to register again for the TF forum. Thanks Eddie!
    I'm new to this forum as well as to TF watches. After seeing some great reviews of the black 36mm Everest Explorer on YT I snagged my first PRS25.
    I am super excited. After ordering in september I right away had a Horween leather strap made for this beauty. Even though the watch was delivered about 3 weeks ago I still haven't had a chance to unpack it and slap it on the wrist, since I have been abroad. So until I get home I continue to get my daily fix in this thread.

    Great pics gentlemen. As far as I'm concerned keep on posting

    Cheers!
    You are in for a treat when you get back home. That's for sure


  11. #111
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,631
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    .......

    Unexpected combo, but looking good. Don't you think?
    Any chance for a side-view pic so we can see the interphase between the fitted strap and the lugs, please?
    A fully wound watch smells like Switzerland.

  12. #112
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,631
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    true enough. Itís good news for Timefactors that demand outstrips supply, letís hope that balance can be addressed in the future.
    These are exceptional times. It hasn't always been like this and no doubt in due course it will correct itself. People just need to be exceptionally patient and treat Eddie with the respect he deserves.
    A fully wound watch smells like Switzerland.

  13. #113
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    34,257
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    These are exceptional times. It hasn't always been like this and no doubt in due course it will correct itself. People just need to be exceptionally patient and treat Eddie with the respect he deserves.
    Hear hear.

  14. #114
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,544
    Noticed that Chronomaster has one this am at £395, 2 weeks old/40mm if anyone is chasing one

  15. #115
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    You are in for a treat when you get back home. That's for sure
    I certainly hope so. Until I discoverd Smiths watches I never thought I would in a million years consider hommage watches. Now that has changed. I'm even getting greedy and want to have a PRS29-AM and a Navigator and a Baby Dreadnought too. This is going to be difficult because I also love german Flieger and tactical watches. For this year my watch budget is used up, but next year I have some tough decisions to make.

    Thank you a lot Sir for the image. Really love the unriveted Oyster you got there. What a stunner!

  16. #116
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    These are exceptional times. It hasn't always been like this and no doubt in due course it will correct itself. People just need to be exceptionally patient and treat Eddie with the respect he deserves.
    +1 to that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #117
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Czech
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Any chance for a side-view pic so we can see the interphase between the fitted strap and the lugs, please?
    No problem. Will do.

  18. #118
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by M_i_G View Post
    I certainly hope so. Until I discoverd Smiths watches I never thought I would in a million years consider hommage watches. Now that has changed. I'm even getting greedy and want to have a PRS29-AM and a Navigator and a Baby Dreadnought too. This is going to be difficult because I also love german Flieger and tactical watches. For this year my watch budget is used up, but next year I have some tough decisions to make.
    Apart from the undeniable quality of the watch, I feel the PRS25 is an especially compelling homage because of all the controversy with Rolex around the Everest expedition.
    It is like closing the circle in a way, a form of poetic justice.
    Stealing from a thieve is not a crime after all.

  19. #119
    In my review of the 1st version I said:

    "three tiny things Iíd change. First, the Smiths logo. Personally I'd have gone for the old De Luxe logo and the coronet ("Big Tits") device. But then I love old Smiths. (I have, ahem, a few.) Also the Smithsí coronet isnít a million miles from the Rolex crown.

    Second, the hour hand could do with being a tad longer, maybe a mm or two extra between the pinion and Mercedes.

    Third ó and being really picky ó I do like the ball-end counterbalanced seconds hands on old Rolexes. Itís just a pleasing detail."

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review

    Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.

  20. #120
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour
    That's not what I call being super picky. I also love that brown yellow hue. I suppose that would definitely be the icing on the cake. Who knows...Perhaps someday.

  21. #121
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    58
    i know it is a long shot but if someone doesn't get on with theirs I'd love to take it off your hands :-)

  22. #122
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

    Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.
    The one thing that makes it 9.5/10 for me is Eddies milky ring.

    A lovely warm acrylic crystal would have been perfection.

    You cant have everything for just over 300 quid though so Im not complaining.
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  23. #123
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The one thing that makes it 9.5/10 for me is Eddies milky ring.

    A lovely warm acrylic crystal would have been perfection.

    You cant have everything for just over 300 quid though so Im not complaining.
    Yes that would be my only negative point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #124
    Apprentice Nastadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    In my review of the 1st version I said:

    "three tiny things Iíd change. First, the Smiths logo. Personally I'd have gone for the old De Luxe logo and the coronet ("Big Tits") device. But then I love old Smiths. (I have, ahem, a few.) Also the Smithsí coronet isnít a million miles from the Rolex crown.

    Second, the hour hand could do with being a tad longer, maybe a mm or two extra between the pinion and Mercedes.

    Third ó and being really picky ó I do like the ball-end counterbalanced seconds hands on old Rolexes. Itís just a pleasing detail."

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review

    Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.
    To add to your list, would love the revised hands (not happening) and a counter balance on the seconds sweep, maybe even the coronet on the crown instead of the S to match the logo and an update to the smiths on the case back too so it matches all around.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  25. #125
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    159
    Hoping these are back in stock soon, hoping to pick one up this time around, gorgeous watches

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

  26. #126
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tweed Heads, Australia
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    In my review of the 1st version I said:

    "three tiny things Iíd change. First, the Smiths logo. Personally I'd have gone for the old De Luxe logo and the coronet ("Big Tits") device. But then I love old Smiths. (I have, ahem, a few.) Also the Smithsí coronet isnít a million miles from the Rolex crown.

    Second, the hour hand could do with being a tad longer, maybe a mm or two extra between the pinion and Mercedes.

    Third ó and being really picky ó I do like the ball-end counterbalanced seconds hands on old Rolexes. Itís just a pleasing detail."

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ot-36mm-review

    Well, Eddie has managed 1 & 2. If I were being super picky I might prefer vanilla to mint on the lume: I love mellow yellow tritium with its warm nicotine colour but otherwise this gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.
    I agree on all counts, iím surprised with all the revisions weíve already seen so you never know. We could see the perfect 10 someday.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #127
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,297
    I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring.

    Not easy I know, but possible with a custom made spacer perhaps.


    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  28. #128
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring.

    Not easy I know, but possible with a custom made spacer perhaps.
    Doesn't sound like an easy task, finding the right crystal and fitting it onto the case. I could settle with a flat sapphire.
    For now, I just look at the watch at an angle 🤷

  29. #129
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    34,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring

    A milky ring is an awful thing to be suffering from Ian.

  30. #130
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am increasingly thinking about the feasibility of fitting an acrylic crystal in order to get rid of the milky ring.

    Not easy I know, but possible with a custom made spacer perhaps.
    Watchmakers used to be able to cut acrylic in any shape and size. I wonder if this is still happening.
    Last edited by abraxas; 6th November 2020 at 13:58.
    A fully wound watch smells like Switzerland.

  31. #131
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19
    Is it really that complicated? According to the PRS-25 blueprint the sapphire glass is 30,5 mm in diameter.
    After a quick look on eBay I have found a 30,6 mm low or high dome acrylic crystal. The 0,1 mm more is certainly a good thing to help the acrylic crystal stay in place.
    Maybe I am missing something but for me it seems to be an easy job for a local watchmaker with the correct tools.

  32. #132
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654

    Right 3rd Time - the PRS-25 Smiths Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Is it really that complicated? According to the PRS-25 blueprint the sapphire glass is 30,5 mm in diameter.
    After a quick look on eBay I have found a 30,6 mm low or high dome acrylic crystal. The 0,1 mm more is certainly a good thing to help the acrylic crystal stay in place.
    Maybe I am missing something but for me it seems to be an easy job for a local watchmaker with the correct tools.
    No quite as the sapphire crystal has a gasket that sits between the crystal and the case:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 4th November 2020 at 13:55.

  33. #133
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19
    Ok, so if we canít use the gasket the only missing information is the inner diameter of the bezel. Maybe Eddie has this information and is willing to share with us ? With that information it is only a matter of choosing the correct crystal diameter no ?
    Last edited by Mamaw; 4th November 2020 at 14:21.

  34. #134
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Ok, so if we canít use the gasket the only missing information is the inner diameter of the bezel. Maybe Eddie have this information and is willing to share with us ? With that information it is only a matter of choosing the correct crystal diameter no ?
    As I understand it yes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #135
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.

    Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  36. #136
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.

    Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

    Eddie
    Useful info - thanks Eddie!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #137
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A milky ring is an awful thing to be suffering from Ian.
    It is indeed.

    Little did I know in my youth that I would have this to contend with in my 60's


    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  38. #138
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    34,257
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A milky ring is an awful thing to be suffering from Ian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    It is indeed.

    Little did I know in my youth that I would have this to contend with in my 60's
    I also have the condition, but I've learned to live with it.

  39. #139
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.
    Yes thanks Eddie.
    When the shops reopen I will have a chat with my local watchmaker about swapping the crystal.
    The milky ring is the only thing that I am not a fan of, same with the PRS-29. I wonder if there is a way to manufacture a domed sapphire crystal without the milky ring effect.

  40. #140
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.

    Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

    Eddie
    Does that mean the crown is any different? Or is just the tube that changed?

  41. #141
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    Does that mean the crown is any different? Or is just the tube that changed?
    Only the tube needs to be changed.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  42. #142
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Only the tube needs to be changed.

    Eddie
    How come Eddie (if you donít me asking)?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #143
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    How come Eddie (if you donít me asking)?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How come what? If you're asking why I'm changing, it's because it's easier to change a cross threaded screw in tube than it is to change a press in tube. If you're aking why only the tube will be changed, that's because the existing crown will still screw onto the new tube.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  44. #144
    Craftsman TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    How come what? If you're asking why I'm changing, it's because it's easier to change a cross threaded screw in tube than it is to change a press in tube. If you're aking why only the tube will be changed, that's because the existing crown will still screw onto the new tube.

    Eddie
    Thanks Eddie

    Yes I was asking why you were changing - certainly makes sense!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #145
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It looks like 31.5mm without the gasket.

    Incidentally, the next batch will technically by Mk IV because the screw down crown will be a screw in tube.

    Eddie
    When is the next one out Eddie? Itís about time I bought one of your watches!

  46. #146
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    When is the next one out Eddie? Itís about time I bought one of your watches!
    There are 3 available in stock today. Good luck!

  47. #147
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    There are 3 available in stock today. Good luck!
    They are not available when you try to purchase them. Sigh.

  48. #148
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    2,492
    Bloody hell, that was quick, either Eddie has done his sales in 6/7 mins or the sites gone mental with those orders lol...

    Anyway managed to snag (i think) one of the Black 48ís...

  49. #149
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,681
    Closed within 4 mins. There were no Everests available at any point.

  50. #150
    Closed




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information