closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor GMT, BB58

Journeyman

Tudor GMT, BB58

It still amazes me that in the current climate Tudor are still holding out full rrp on these watches. They are doing a amazing job when everyone else has to discount. How are they managing this? I fancy one the BB58 blue but I wont pay rrp.

They don't discount because they don't need to. Some of those watches mentioned do sell at premiums on the secondary market. Not quite Rolex territory, but if a GMT or a BB58 Blue is in a shop window I don't think it will be there for long. In addition, Tudor are not one of those brands that you lose 50% in depreciation the minute you walk out the shop as seen from the sales on here and other places.

I think you will have a long wait for a discounted watch, just pay list price and enjoy.

Journeyman
    Fact is they have done a great job Omega must be worried

Master
    I can understand not wanting to pay over rrp but not wanting to pay rrp? As you say residuals are strong so it’s not like paying rrp for an omega and losing 20% when you leave the store.

GMT will be easy ish to find at the moment as many are put off by the date wheel issue. This is now fixed (apparently) so I can see these rising in popularity again. The 58’s will be difficult ish to find for some time as they are very popular watches. Some leg work will get you one but certainly not below rrp.

For me, Tudor are destroying Omega at the moment. I looked at the ranges side-by-side in Goldsmiths last week and the Tudor won hands down at roughly half the cost of Omega. I'm sorry but £5.5k for a Seamaster is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    Fact is they have done a great job Omega must be worried

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    For me, Tudor are destroying Omega at the moment. I looked at the ranges side-by-side in Goldsmiths last week and the Tudor won hands down at roughly half the cost of Omega. I'm sorry but £5.5k for a Seamaster is just silly.
    I’d agree with that, for ever Omega has been the watch if choice if you wanted quality but didn’t want to stretch to a Rolex. Omega seem to have tried to try and match Rolex leaving an open gap in the market for Tudor to fill.

£2700 for a BB58 looks a ‘bargain’ compared to the Rolex/Omega alternatives. Very unlikely to get a discount.

Craftsman
    I agree, especially for their sports models. The only area IMHO that Tudor needs to work on are their “dressier” watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Maybe you’ll look back and wish you’d bought for current RRP. It seems a popular watch so may well stay that way.

I realise that all things aren’t as simple as what I’m about to say but if you’re not buying because you can’t haggle say £300 off, what is that £300 long term? You own that watch for say 3 years and it’s cost you £100 a year extra to own, wear and enjoy it. That’s 27p a day.

It still amazes me that in the current climate Tudor are still holding out full rrp on these watches. They are doing a amazing job when everyone else has to discount. How are they managing this? I fancy one the BB58 blue but I wont pay rrp.

I’m not sure the comparison is necessarily fair. Broadly speaking, as you spend more, you get diminishing returns. Full disclosure, I’ve never owned any of the three brands but...

At this stage, Rolex is in a league of its own. It’s a watch of celebrities and the rich and famous. Whether you like them or not, the fact is: to get one, you have to be willing to sign up for endless waitlists or pay over rrp.

Omega hasn’t had the brand recognition / desirability of Rolex since the 80s. They offer a huge range of well made ‘premium’ watches approaching the price of Rolex but because of their branding / marketing / standing, most casual watch purchasers (not necessarily forum members) consider them a second tier choice.

Tudor is meant to be affordable and appeal to a younger (first luxury watch) crowd. They use Beckham and Lady Gaga to market their brand. They offer great value for money and I think a comparison with TAG (which they walk all over) is fairer. They’ve absolutely nailed the neo-vintage look over the past few years but time will tell whether they can sustain that as tastes change. Cf Panerai.

Sure, Tudor probably eats into Omega’s market share for the watch purchaser who was thinking of stretching to a sea master, but if I were buying used and the two were the same price, I’d pick a sea master over a black bay any day.

Journeyman
    Tudor has definitely done an incredible job with its sports watches. I do think it helps that their pricing is on the whole fairly reasonable. Not in the sense of being cheap, but in the sense that for the quality of the watch you get (and for many, the association with the Rolex family) the prices seem spot on, if not better than one might expect them to be. Omega makes beautiful watches with movements that have more bells and whistles, but if you like the aesthetic of a Black Bay just as much, it can feel hard to justify the extra price of the Omega at retail. Whereas to get a Black Bay 58 for £2,760 seems a decent value when you look at alternatives in the market. So psychologically it feels easier to me to pay full retail for the Tudor.

Clearly it also helps that they have very savvy marketing, and models like the 58 and the GMT have generally not been readily available to buy, thereby making one feel more accepting of paying list price simply to be able to acquire the watch. It's the same with Rolex (though obviously more so). When you know there are tons of Seamasters available at every AD in town, you know you would be silly not to try to haggle and get a discount. Whereas you know there is a wait list of ready buyers ready to pay RRP for every BB58 blue an AD receives. If that is a watch you want, I probably wouldn't wait for a discount as I suspect you could be waiting a long time - and at the end of the day, is it worth it for the potential of knocking at most 5 or 10% off the price? You could be waiting quite a long time for not much benefit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Maybe you’ll look back and wish you’d bought for current RRP. It seems a popular watch so may well stay that way.

I realise that all things aren’t as simple as what I’m about to say but if you’re not buying because you can’t haggle say £300 off, what is that £300 long term? You own that watch for say 3 years and it’s cost you £100 a year extra to own, wear and enjoy it. That’s 27p a day.
    The best piece of advice i have had in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I've heard and said the same thing many times, but usually when it comes to property/mortgages. Too often we can't see beyond the end of our nose and get held up on the price rather than the enjoyment or how meaningless that £300 is going to seem just one price rise later.

I remember ceramic Daytonas going for £14k very early on and people on here wondering "who's paying that?" and "a fool and his money" etc. £14k for a Daytona now is dreaming. Those who bought then have had, enjoyed, and even profited from their "overpaying".

OP, If you can afford the £300 and it won't cause you issues/hardship/a genuine domestic get it done and just enjoy it. Cut out the coffees from Pret, bring packed lunch to work, calm down at pub a bit. You can even tell your wife you've saved £200pm on travel since lockdown but do have a better answer ready than I did when she asks you where that £1,200 is now. Don't show her your wrist, you'll get same slap I did.

If you want a hollow victory wait for a price rise and then get 10% off. It'll be the same price or more than the current RRP but at least you'll be able to say you got discount if that's your thing.

Omega need to bring back the quartz SMP.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I remember ceramic Daytonas going for £14k very early on and people on here wondering "who's paying that?" and "a fool and his money" etc. £14k for a Daytona now is dreaming. Those who bought then have had, enjoyed, and even profited from their "overpaying".
    That was me and I hold the record as the only person to ever lose money on one of those, £250 when I sold it a few weeks later.

To the OP, the discount is a hollow victory and comes from the e-bay generation. If the watch was £2,500 you would want to pay £2,200. However, if it was priced at £3,000 you would be thinking £2,700. Your need for a discount bears no relation to the product, you just want something off - bacuase that's what you do.

On the e-bay front, I always add Something on to factor in the discount hunters.

It's just a game

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That was me and I hold the record as the only person to ever lose money on one of those, £250 when I sold it a few weeks later.
    Hindsight is a terrible thing. if Rolex hadn't gone so crazy these last few years and things calmed down a £250 loss could have been the best deal you ever did on a watch. Really no way of telling.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've heard and said the same thing many times, but usually when it comes to property/mortgages. Too often we can't see beyond the end of our nose and get held up on the price rather than the enjoyment or how meaningless that £300 is going to seem just one price rise later.

OP, If you can afford the £300 and it won't cause you issues/hardship/a genuine domestic get it done and just enjoy it. Cut out the coffees from Pret, bring packed lunch to work, calm down at pub a bit. You can even tell your wife you've saved £200pm on travel since lockdown but do have a better answer ready than I did when she asks you where that £1,200 is now. Don't show her your wrist, you'll get same slap I did.

If you want a hollow victory wait for a price rise and then get 10% off. It'll be the same price or more than the current RRP but at least you'll be able to say you got discount if that's your thing.
    Spot on! This is excellent commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    havent seen a bb58 in window of my AD in ages. seen a few GMTs come in though

Apprentice
    I’ve seen a lot of GMTs in the window the last month or so - all strap/bracelet options. And the (very) occasional BB58 but only on the leather.

I do wonder how long (or not) the wait for a 58 of either colour would be for someone who wasn’t too fussed about having it on the bracelet.

Master
    Yet 8k for a sub is reasonable???

Quote Originally Posted by onemanintime View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of GMTs in the window the last month or so - all strap/bracelet options. And the (very) occasional BB58 but only on the leather.

I do wonder how long (or not) the wait for a 58 of either colour would be for someone who wasn’t too fussed about having it on the bracelet.
    I saw both the black and blue BB58 on bracelets in an AD a week or so ago, plus black BB58 on fabric. All three GMTs too. They’ve recently become a Tudor AD so won’t have had any on the waiting list, I suppose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Yet 8k for a sub is reasonable???

Yes because the minute you walk out it’s a 10k watch ;)

For the money the Tudor GMT is difficult to find fault with - I initially didnt like it, looked clunky and fat especially when compared with the Rolex GMT that they were often compared with due to the similar release dates. Tastes change though and I bought one off SC a couple of months ago and find I wear it more than any other watch - it now seems "just right" and even better value used. I have always liked Tudor, bought a new sub in the mid-90's from them for £500 and after wearing it every day sold it 10 years later for £500 (never had it serviced)..so the comments about cost to own are worth noting (obviously I should have kept it...I ended up buying one off SC last year for more like £4k as a replacement).
    As long as they dont get too cocky I'm sure they will do well as people seek quality and value alternatives to unobtainable Rolex's...speaking of which I should really have bought that batman from Goldsmiths Reading a few years ago..it was put in the window as I was browsing so I went inside to try it on, through it was "OK", the missus told me to buy it and I turned it down...think it was about £5.9k
    hmm.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    For the money the Tudor GMT is difficult to find fault with
    Except that they’re all knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    all...mine is the exception then so not all

There were a couple of 58's and GMT's in John Lewis Oxford St today on display.

Journeyman
    Omega need to bring back the quartz SMP.
    I still wear mine loads! 19 years old and it still looks good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    There were a couple of 58's and GMT's in John Lewis Oxford St today on display.
    That's exactly where I bought my GMT from!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The BB58 is under valued if anything at retail.

In the grand scheme of things £2,760 is nothing in todays world.

Master
    Add to the mix the new Tudor Royal. Will not be to all tastes, but exceptional value and a great amount of variations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    The BB58 is under valued if anything at retail.

In the grand scheme of things £2,760 is nothing in todays world.
    The price went up when mine was on order last year but as you say £2,760 is nothing really.
    I dont think theres a dive watch out there that can match the BB"s bezel, its beautiful.
    Last edited by RD200; 27th September 2020 at 07:49.

There are few watches that do not loose price with the time. Tudor is one of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Bought mine in December last year and no sign of trouble at all. I changed the bracelet to the 'official' leather and it's one of the two watches I pretty much wear all the time. It doesn't get chance to run down before it's on again I like it so much. Of course I would love a BLRO and would buy one in a heartbeat on or near retail, that's likely never to happen. Having this instead is no hardship, for what you pay it's very nice indeed. The old style insert is classy, I love the nicely milled large crown and the fact it has no guards. Yes, it's a bit slab sided but glance head on and it takes to back to the very first Rolex GMT, it has a lovely retro feel about it, green in the dark too. Just to add a bit more to it's 'knackered' status, it's the most accurate watch I own. It would be pointless doing the summertime challenge. I regulate it putting it face down overnight and it keeps it spot on and I mean spot on. They'll find mine in the box when I'm gone, it's going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hmmm. Bought mine in December last year and no sign of trouble at all. I changed the bracelet to the 'official' leather and it's one of the two watches I pretty much wear all the time. It doesn't get chance to run down before it's on again I like it so much. Of course I would love a BLRO and would buy one in a heartbeat on or near retail, that's likely never to happen. Having this instead is no hardship, for what you pay it's very nice indeed. The old style insert is classy, I love the nicely milled large crown and the fact it has no guards. Yes, it's a bit slab sided but glance head on and it takes to back to the very first Rolex GMT, it has a lovely retro feel about it, green in the dark too. Just to add a bit more to it's 'knackered' status, it's the most accurate watch I own. It would be pointless doing the summertime challenge. I regulate it putting it face down overnight and it keeps it spot on and I mean spot on. They'll find mine in the box when I'm gone, it's going nowhere.
    I’m seriously considering a Tudor GMT, did you buy the watch on the bracelet and also get the leather strap from an AD? If so, how much did they charge for the leather?

I get the feeling the Tudor GMT is a future classic.

Yes, bought originally on the bracelet and then returned a couple of months later for the leather. You buy in two parts, the deployent and the strap. From memory together it was north of 300. An awful lot but I wanted it right, so many fake straps on ebay for example. It was fitted at the AD, so of course the lugs are still flawless. I'm thinking of getting the BB chrono on the leather next.

Thank you. Good point about getting it fitted at the AD too.

Master
    Yes, bought originally on the bracelet and then returned a couple of months later for the leather. You buy in two parts, the deployent and the strap. From memory together it was north of 300. An awful lot but I wanted it right, so many fake straps on ebay for example. It was fitted at the AD, so of course the lugs are still flawless. I'm thinking of getting the BB chrono on the leather next.
    did you get your watch from Manchester?

St Anne's Square.

Master
    St Anne's Square.
    Righto, I got my 58 from David M Robinson