closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar tuna?

Craftsman

Solar tuna?

Hi all
    I'm looking at the black and gold solar tuna (SNE498P1).

I've always liked tuna's but even the cheapest 'proper' tunas would be one of my most expensive watches. As what would be a relatively occasional wearer, that's never made sense for me. So the solar ones appeal.

- I know they aren't a monoblock case but many of the modern ones don't seem to be either.
    - I don't have a (non digital) quartz, so a grab and go weekend option appeals. There's a good history of quartz tunas too, so that makes sense to me.
    - It's smaller than the full fat ones but its still 46mm and I'm not a massive chap, so it'll still have the requisite heft.
    - I don't think the Seiko alignment issues apply to these(?).

I've seen a few on the forum but can't find much discussion, so would be interested in people's experiences? Love? Hate?

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

I own a solar tuna aswell as 300m and 1000m darth tunas. I must say the solar tuna feels a bit cheap and nasty- The bezel action on it doesn't feel as high quality as the much cheaper SKX watches. There is no way I would pay full price for one but picking up a gently used one at 50% may be a good option. I personally don't think they're worth the money

- - - Updated - - -

I own a solar tuna aswell as 300m and 1000m darth tunas. I must say the solar tuna feels a bit cheap and nasty- The bezel action on it doesn't feel as high quality as the much cheaper SKX watches. There is no way I would pay full price for one but picking up a gently used one at 50% may be a good option. I personally don't think they're worth the money

I own a 300m "proper" Tuna and have owned both 600m & 1000m Tunas in the past. I purchased a solar Tuna SNE 498 12 months ago, no issues, it's exactly what I expected it to be, it's a great "grab & go" quartz. Quality is fine, no misalignment of rehaut / dial / bezel, the seconds hand hits (most of) the markers, and it's remained accurate. It has been on holiday and has been exposed to daily rough & tumble, it's survived without picking up any significant marks.

Lume on the hands and dial markers is typical Seiko bright, that on the first 10-15 minutes of the bezel less so.

It doesn't seem to wear as large as its dimensions would suggest.

It's been worn on a Nato, black leather and 3rd party rubber straps, however, I've always found it wears best on the OEM rubber.

VFM? I purchased mine discounted, there's always someone offering them for less than RRP, and there's a few to choose from, I'm looking at the SNE518P & SNE499. Something a little bit different is the SBDN021 (but for more £££'s).

As an every day watch, it's fine. It's not a replacement for the heftier Tuna's but it was never meant to be...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    I own a 300m "proper" Tuna and have owned both 600m & 1000m Tunas in the past. I purchased a solar Tuna SNE 498 12 months ago, no issues, it's exactly what I expected it to be, it's a great "grab & go" quartz. Quality is fine, no misalignment of rehaut / dial / bezel, the seconds hand hits (most of) the markers, and it's remained accurate. It has been on holiday and has been exposed to daily rough & tumble, it's survived without picking up any significant marks.

Lume on the hands and dial markers is typical Seiko bright, that on the first 10-15 minutes of the bezel less so.

It doesn't seem to wear as large as its dimensions would suggest.

It's been worn on a Nato, black leather and 3rd party rubber straps, however, I've always found it wears best on the OEM rubber.

VFM? I purchased mine discounted, there's always someone offering them for less than RRP, and there's a few to choose from, I'm looking at the SNE518P & SNE499. Something a little bit different is the SBDN021 (but for more £££'s).

As an every day watch, it's fine. It's not a replacement for the heftier Tuna's but it was never meant to be...
    Id second this - ive had 2 but have a 7549 now- then again im a serial flipper

Thirded! I thought mine was a great watch. I added a stainless steel shroud and bracelet which took it to a whole other level. Get one, they're great. I'd get another. In fact....opens browser

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I'd second this....

Master
    Pretty sure i own the one you have pictured, have to agree about the comments on the OEM rubber, so soft, so supple.
    Not too heavy, looks good and wears well.
    Pretty sure i got mine on Creation Watches for a bit of a discount but I can't recall.
    Just don't do what I did and take it in for a new battery as it had stopped and then be informed by the shop owner that it was solar and just needs to be left out in the light for a while!
    That's the downside of such a huge collection, I don't get to wear them all as regular as some of you.

I own a solar tuna padi and it’s a great grab and go watch.
    It was a great holiday watch in a Turkey last year, diving, water ski’ing, beach, pool fresh water lakes it did it all and looked as fresh as the day I purchased it.

The build quality isn’t as solid as the bigger brother but it’s not cheap and nasty though, it’s a good honest beater with a super soft strap that sits proudly in my collection along side some far more expensive watches that do the same job.

Ohh forgot I did put the aftermarket steel shroud on it that makes a hell of a difference over the plastic shroud.
    Last edited by Baden H; 24th September 2020 at 10:05.

Master
    these often come up on an offer

Ernest Jones and others were knocking them out in the sale for about £180. about a year ago, I ordered one only to get a "sorry out of stock" email the next day - a bargain at the time.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I had the black and gold version and returned it as it wore so small - I’ve had a ‘proper’ tuna in the past and this was nothing like that at all, either in size or execution. I should add I have large wrists so that might not refer to the OP. I also found the crown a bit wobbly when unscrewed and it wore very light, almost g shock light. Neither necessarily a bad thing,but it did add to the ‘cheap’ impression

Craftsman
    Thanks all, on balance it seems if I'm not expecting the feel / quality of a 'full fat' tuna but something fun and tuna'esque I should be ok.

I have other Seikos around this price and love them but I know their limitations: I'm not expecting a <£1000 watch for a quarter of the price!

I should have mentioned, I wasn't expecting to pay RRP. They are currently available at £245 here: https://amjwatches.co.uk/seiko-prosp...-sne498j1.html.

Last edited by RyanB; 24th September 2020 at 18:49.

Even cheaper here:

https://simpkinsjewellers.co.uk/seik...RoCdwsQAvD_BwE

I've had two of these solar tunas, including the black and gold model and they're great watches. I also own a 7549-7010 and have owned a SBBN017. The 017 was a bit too hefty, the solar was about right but the 7549 is perfect.

Craftsman
    Thanks Onelasttime.

I hadn't spotted that deal...and we all know where this thread is heading!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Even cheaper here:

https://simpkinsjewellers.co.uk/seik...RoCdwsQAvD_BwE

I've had two of these solar tunas, including the black and gold model and they're great watches. I also own a 7549-7010 and have owned a SBBN017. The 017 was a bit too hefty, the solar was about right but the 7549 is perfect.

I have an 033 300m Tuna which is superb and bought the watch you were after last year as a cheap holiday watch. Personally I wasn't impressed, felt light and cheap, bezel action was poor and it just didn't look or feel like a £300 watch. Was returned swiftly. I would consider a Padi version if it was cheap, and I mean cheap, no way is this watch worth more than £150. The discounted price of £245 you quoted is way too much, now the hype has died down it's a nothing special watch. It has a Tuna look to it but there the similarity ends. It's not a poor man's tuna, just a poor quality Seiko in my opinion.

If you get a good price on it its fine, but as everyone else is saying not a patch on the Sbbn's but it's a fraction of the cost so to be expected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    If you get a good price on it its fine, but as everyone else is saying not a patch on the Sbbn's but it's a fraction of the cost so to be expected.
    that does mean you can have some fun modding them...

A few more pics
    & details of the mods here - Seiko Solar Tuna Mod

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    that does mean you can have some fun modding them...

A few more pics
    & details of the mods here - Seiko Solar Tuna Mod

z
    Valid point indeed there.

Craftsman
    Thanks chaps.

Overall seems to be about 8 vs 3 in favour.

I'm happy with / quite like the idea of light and I'm hoping the relative humbleness of my collection might leave me blissfully ignorant of some of the quality concerns :)

As I've said elsewhere, yours looks great Zelig. Adding a metal shroud seems like a good option. Are there good black or even gold[!] finished ones out there?

Craftsman
    ....incoming now!

Never had a quality issue with any of mine. Try a company called Stitches 7 Buckles for shrouds.

I nearly bought a Solar Padi last night because of you lol

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Thanks chaps.

I'm happy with / quite like the idea of light and I'm hoping the relative humbleness of my collection might leave me blissfully ignorant of some of the quality concerns :)

As I've said elsewhere, yours looks great Zelig. Adding a metal shroud seems like a good option. Are there good black or even gold[!] finished ones out there?

Craftsman
    I'll check the out, thanks.

The PADIs look great, very tempted by I've lusted over the gold for years.

I noticed a tuna heavier flavour on the Friday Thread today, maybe the tuna fever is contagious!

Last edited by RyanB; 25th September 2020 at 12:10.

Thanks chaps.

Be aware that most of the aftermarket metal shrouds leave the screw heads protruding far more than the original shroud. I couldn't live with it on mine so sold it. For most people it's not a problem but I found it ruined the aesthetic.

I’ve been wearing Tunas of all kinds since about 2007 (our host Eddie used to sell the SBBN007 on the timefactors shop), originally the SBBN011 ‘Darth Tuna’ with the monocoque case & ceramic shroud, then the SBBN007 300m Tuna, via the SBBN013 & SBBN017, eventually my grail the SBDB013 Spring Drive Tuna. Had an Emperor at one point too.
    About two years ago I picked up the SNE518P1 ‘save the ocean’ special edition version of the Solar Tuna, it’s my grab & go watch that gets left on a shaded window sill to stay charged.
    Pros & cons of the solar:
    Pros - drilled lugs, easy strap change
    Lightweight case
    Really good lume including part of the bezel
    Not too big
    Accurate quartz moment
    Plastic shroud is quiet when I hit things like ship bulkheads
    Looks good

Cons - not a sapphire crystal
    Plastic shroud could get damaged by deet spray & sun lotions in hot places
    Could be argued that it’s ‘not a proper Tuna’.

To be honest for the price it’s a really great value for money watch. I use mine at sea, when mountain biking, or just sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine on the dial.

Thoughts on the other Tunas:
    300m quartz ones - great 7C46 movement, easy battery change as have conventional caseback, solid metal shrouds, drilled lugs. Surprisingly versatile. Fab lume. Only thing I don’t like is the domed crystal - until the latest 2020 versions they’ve been ‘Hardlex’ not sapphire and do scratch. I disliked the reflections from the dome. Sold them on. Somewhere in the vaults of the forum will be my step-by-step guide to replacing the crystal with a sapphire.

1000m quartz Darth - awesome watch. 7C46, monocoque titanium case. No drilled lugs - hard to change the straps, not a lot of lug space to thread through a NATO or Zulu strap. Flat sapphire, good lume. Sits very high on wrist with a NATO so easy to bash against things. The ceramic shroud can get chipped or cracked if you drop it - expensive to replace. Very good for its intended purpose as a dive watch :)

1000m Emperor - even bigger than a Darth, tall and wide. Does have drilled lugs (only at one end of each one) Shroud is titanium. Utter beast of a watch. 8L35 mechanical movement same as the MM300.

600m Spring Drive - all titanium including shroud, flat sapphire crystal. Best lume of any of my watches. Awesome spring drive movement with power reserve indicator. Sits much lower on the wrist that the Darth or Emperor as the strap attaches to the shroud, not the case. An absolute sod to change straps - no drilled lugs and tight clearances. I can forgive that as it’s almost perfect otherwise - reduce the size by a couple of mms in all dimensions and I’d never wear another watch.

Photo of the Spring Drive shows how it doesn’t sit too tall on my wrist.

The solar might be lightweight and have plastic bits, but it’s a great daily wearer and if you don’t want to risk hurting a multi thousand pound high-end Tuna (especially the potentially breakable ceramic shroud on the Darth) it’s a great choice.

Here’s mine at sea last week doing some sediment coring fieldwork.
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for the full run through Searat. The Spring Drive is a beauty. Tuna's definitely seem to be addictive!

I'm clumsy enough that being quiet when bashed is a genuine plus.

Craftsman
    Very quick snap, following a very quick delivery from AMJ Watches...

Athough I can understand the comments about the plastic shroud, I'm really pleased. It's a real smile inducing watch!

Athough I can understand the comments about the plastic shroud, I'm really pleased. It's a real smile inducing watch!

Result!

I have to ask, is that a whippet in the background?

Journeyman

I. Ought a metal shroud in PVD from ali express for like 35 euros delivered. Comes with 4 screws, makes the watch tad bigger but so much more presence on the wrist.

Last edited by Incursore; 26th September 2020 at 12:31.

Craftsman
    Thanks Onelastime - I'm really pleased with it.

It's a greyhound, another great recent pickup! They match pretty well too.

That looks good Incursore, do you remember what the seller was called?

managed to get a few shots of my pads solar with yobokies steel shroud.
    This mod really beefs up the feel and quality of the watch.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I like the shrouds but they're 100ish aren't they? Makes even a discounted watch 300 plus, and a full price watch 400? I struggled to justify that money just to make the watch feel good quality sadly.

Craftsman
    The shroud definitely makes the Padi shine, not sure if the difference between plastic and black dlc on the 498 would be as visible? Better feel im sure.

Yobokies shrouds are $102, so 40% of the watch's price.

I got mine for £30 off here so it didn’t hurt lol

That was well worth it then. Great upgrade at that price.

Craftsman
    I've got one of these incoming. I went with the SNE497P1. Looks the most like the original 6159-7010.

Unlike many of the commenters, I like the fact that these are lightweight. I don't imagine I'll be ordering a metal shroud any time soon. I was after a quartz solar beater, and getting one which is a homage to the grandfather tuna is just a bonus. I don't need it to accurately replicate either the feel or the specs of the original.

Also, I believe lighter watches are inherently more durable. Less mass involved when they hit stuff.