TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TopGear Sunday 4th October on BBC1

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

TopGear Sunday 4th October on BBC1

For those that are interested, its back next Sunday on BBC1 at 20.00

B

Master
    Thanks for that wasn’t aware it was back.

Master
    Which bunch of clown clones this time?

Master
    This programme is a mystery to me.

It is now complete brain dead drivel in a very 1950s public school boy sort of way. However the BBC is making massive amounts of money out of it and I suppose that is all that really matters at the end of the day. Long may it continue to flourish and bring in the cash. However I won't be watching it.

I do like Chris Harris but the other two are anathema to me. 5th Gear is far better as a car show and the Grand Tour is a better entertainment show. But thanks OP for posting the date, as a car fan I’ll still watch it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Which bunch of clown clones this time?
    I miss Clarkson, May and Hammond, really.
    I think I know all of their episodes by heart.

What they do on Amazon is OK but not nearly as amazing as before on TG.

And the New TG.. Haven't seen an episode after that guy from Friends was in it.
    Worst chapter however were those few episodes with Chris Evans.. It was just dreadful..

I watched a few of the new series after Clarkson May and Hammond left but didn't like it so I haven't seen any since.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Amazingly I find Chris Harris the WORST thing about the new one (aside from Paddy McGinty's accent).

When he stops hamming it up trying to be the 'angry funny one' and does some driving, he's fine, but the rest of the time he's painfully Am-Dram.

Flintoff is probably the most surprising. For someone with no TV experience to speak of, he's remarkably natural (the complete opposite of Harris) and quite amusing.

Paddy's a bit of an acquired taste and I'm not sure I entirely have, but he's clearly the slickest in front of a camera.

It's not CHM at their best, but it's enjoyably watchable as a comedy show with some cars in (at least, the last series was).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Amazingly I find Chris Harris the WORST thing about the new one (aside from Paddy McGinty's accent).

When he stops hamming it up trying to be the 'angry funny one' and does some driving, he's fine, but the rest of the time he's painfully Am-Dram.

Flintoff is probably the most surprising. For someone with no TV experience to speak of, he's remarkably natural (the complete opposite of Harris) and quite amusing.

Paddy's a bit of an acquired taste and I'm not sure I entirely have, but he's clearly the slickest in front of a camera.

It's not CHM at their best, but it's enjoyably watchable as a comedy show with some cars in (at least, the last series was).

M
    I get the sneaky feeling that Harris is asked to play that role. I’ve watched other stuff of his online and he comes across completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I get the sneaky feeling that Harris is asked to play that role. I’ve watched other stuff of his online and he comes across completely different.
    Agree, he's probably reading a script/being told to act in a certain manner. He knows his stuff and is incredibly passionate about cars and racing, where/when he is allowed to just talk about a car in his own natural mannerisms, he's much more articulate and enjoyable to watch.

Monkey isn't a very good actor, but you can tell when he's doing something he's written himself, for example a piece on driving something new and interesting round the track, because it's just better. That kind of stuff is very much like his pre-TG YouTube stuff. I'd like to see them all do less of the rubbish races and do some proper ones. I may have mentioned it before but properly follow Harris racing with someone decent (Sabine perhaps, when she's better and post-Covid) in the Nurburgring 24 or the Revival. Just send the other two to report on everything else going on (at the Nurburgring leave them in the woods). I was hoping the show would have grown up by now but they seem determined to keep flogging an old horse.

Imagine Monkey racing a 911 at Le Mans. That would be a fantastic episode of TG and it's something he desperately wants to do.
    "A man of little significance"

I don't think that any of them appear comfortable in the studio with a live audience however that's such a small percentage of the show it doesn't matter.

They've breathed some life back into a format that had lost its way IMO. There's an obvious bond building between them, each plays a part and I'm so glad that Chris Harris, when he's chucking cars about sideways, is exactly as he was on his YT channel - articulate, enthusiastic, an obvious wheelsmith, highly knowledgeable and engaging. He's probably the best of his type, IMO.

I can't wait for the new series!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Monkey isn't a very good actor, but you can tell when he's doing something he's written himself, for example a piece on driving something new and interesting round the track, because it's just better. That kind of stuff is very much like his pre-TG YouTube stuff.

Imagine Monkey racing a 911 at Le Mans. That would be a fantastic episode of TG and it's something he desperately wants to do.
    Agree with the first paragraph - there's a notable difference. As for him in a 911 at LM, that would be something I'd book campsite tickets for if I wasn't already going.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Flintoff is probably the most surprising. For someone with no TV experience to speak of, he's remarkably natural
    ?? - he's done tons of tv for over a decade pre-Top Gear, principally on the weekly A League of their Own, but with lots of other appearances and presenter-shows. I like him too fwiw, but he's far from a rookie.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the headsup, I had no idea it was back on.

Def no where near what it used to be but as someone who likes his cars I'll watch it anyway :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    ?? - he's done tons of tv for over a decade pre-Top Gear, principally on the weekly A League of their Own, but with lots of other appearances and presenter-shows. I like him too fwiw, but he's far from a rookie.
    I stand corrected then.

I agree that Harris is playing the part he's asked to, but I find it hard to find that he or most viewers enjoy it.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I hope Monkey lets them damned turn ups down. A short ar$e should never wear turned up trousers. It just makes him look shorter, like he's fallen off somebodies keyring or summat.

Master
    Harris is great when not reading a script. He could run a driving show for driving fans on his own, beyond why was on his YT channel.

I keep going back to see if there is new content.

The other two muppets are a pain to watch & now fast forward through. They appeal to a market, but unlike the original trio they’re just rubbish.

Master
    Half an hour of those 3 idiots ruining decent cars and screaming like children> Now a stupidly expensive Ferrari for a change.

Master
    And every company car needs to be nimble round a multistory carpark, an empty one of course ffs.

Master
    And every company car needs to be slept in overnight and rotten fish for breakfast, on a football pitch.
    What a waste. An hour I'll never get back. And the Tesla was the best, that would have taken about 10 seconds to work out.

And every company car needs to be slept in overnight and rotten fish for breakfast, on a football pitch.
    What a waste. An hour I'll never get back. And the Tesla was the best, that would have taken about 10 seconds to work out.
    And yet you still watched the whole hour. I assume you won't be watching next week. FFS, if you don't enjoy it, select another channel from the 150+ available on Freeview alone.

Master
    Got to say .............I agree

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    And yet you still watched the whole hour. I assume you won't be watching next week. FFS, if you don't enjoy it, select another channel from the 150+ available on Freeview alone.
    This, just don't watch it in the first place.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Well, maybe I will or maybe I won't. Probably not after tonight's debacle. But whatever I decide it will be my damn choice and whether to post or not will also be my damn choice. So bugger off.

Am enjoyable hour for me. These three are far more entertaining than the previous group and better than Clarkson, Hammond and May had become in the last few series. Everything has a shelf life (apart from that fish apparently) but I'm enjoying it for now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    And the same to you.

Master
    But how do you know what it's like till you watch it.

I watched the first 20 minutes and switched off as i felt it would have been better on the cbbc channel.

And the same to you.
    And do the forum a favour and stop moaning about stuff - too much negativity these days.

Master
    And do the forum a favour and stop moaning about stuff - too much negativity these days.
    If I want to moan about stuff I will. And I defend your right to moan about people moaning about utter shit TV which some seem to delight in, like yourself, which says a lot.

Blog Entries
    It’s. Not. Top. Gear.
    Load of rubbish.

Like A Question of Sport without Sue Barker.
    Like Have I Got News For You without Ian Hislop or Paul Merton.

Pale imitation.

Blog Entries
    Classic.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Holy moly, terrible, it’s like watching an embarrassing pissed old uncle at a wedding

It wasn’t very good, the only bit that made me laugh was the fish, but! They are probably filming this with a very limited crew and severe restrictions on whatever they can go. They are probably trying to make the best out of a bad lot.

Well, maybe I will or maybe I won't. Probably not after tonight's debacle. But whatever I decide it will be my damn choice and whether to post or not will also be my damn choice. So bugger off.
    Excellent Harry

Do you comment negatively on other programmes that you watch? That's a rhetorical question by the way. Why do you spend time watching a programme you don't enjoy and then feel compelled to comment on it? I, for example, never liked The Office and so didn't watch or comment on it as I appreciated that others did enjoy it.
    Last edited by Skier; 4th October 2020 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Classic.
    Steady on short pants.

Blog Entries
    Steady on short pants.
    Ha ha ha. Sweet dreams.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It wasn’t very good, the only bit that made me laugh was the fish, but! They are probably filming this with a very limited crew and severe restrictions on whatever they can go. They are probably trying to make the best out of a bad lot.
    I think this item was filmed pre-Covid, if the crowds at the start and the karaoke in the filling station were anything to go by.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been stuck in a hotel myself since last Wednesday, not getting home until Thursday next week but I rather enjoyed it.

Thought it was hilarious! Same real funny moments.

Master
    Do you comment negatively on other programmes that you watch? That's a rhetorical question by the way. Why do you spend time watching a programme you don't enjoy and then feel compelled to comment on it? I, for example, never liked The Office and so didn't watch or comment on it as I appreciated that others did enjoy it.
    As it was the first of the new series I watched it, well partly, because some of it was so cringeworthy I had to flip over while the worst was being played out. It was abysmal.
    So do you have opinions on stuff you don't watch? You never liked The Office so you didn't watch it? So how did you know you didn't like it you fool?

Blog Entries
    Maybe take personal mud slinging and swearing to the BP?

I didn't know Tope Gear was back on - so may take a look to make my own mind up next week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Maybe take personal mud slinging and swearing to the BP?

I didn't know Tope Gear was back on - so may take a look to make my own mind up next week.
    Fine with me Martyn, yes I was complaining but I didn't start having a go at anyone until these goons had a pop. Some people are too far up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Don’t forget a wire trace.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t forget a wire trace.
    Lol! I was just wondering whether that show would ever see the light of day, or whether it’s been put in a cupboard along with Alan Partridge’s ‘Monkey Tennis’...

Contrived puerile rubbish.

A much better show might have been Flintoff handing the keys of the Volvo back to Volvo and explaining what happened, or the producer handing over a cheque to fix the damage. I wonder what a Cat S Volvo is worth?

Shocking waste of money and time (those making it and those watching it).

On the upside I did learn that Bolton was twined with Le Mans and that the new £400k+ Ferrari could actually do 15m on its battery and when be driven by a racing driver was very very fast. Who would have guessed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

<sotto voce>
    I rather enjoyed it.
    </SV>

It's not a serious car show and hasn't been since Quentin Wilson and Jeremy Clarkson did the Blues Brothers skit in 1993. https://youtu.be/igQmmT30XJY?t=42

It's entertainment, and it's entertainment that makes the BBC money. And since perhaps 52% of the population are going to stop paying their licence fee as the BBC doesn't make Fox News look like a bunch of lily-livered liberals, it'll need as much of that money as it can get.

None of the executive cars came out of it badly, and it won't do their sales figures any harm at all. Writing off a Volvo S60 will have cost Volvo significantly less than a 30 second advert in the middle of Britain's Got X Factor Island. OK, I wince when a very nice car that I couldn't afford gets damaged in the same of entertainment, but when it comes to the corporate advertising budget it's just money.
    Last edited by Gyp; 5th October 2020 at 09:20.

Master
    Wow, Paddy McGuiness, what a dick! He needs to go!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think you are right.

Asside from McGuinness' accent - the team gell pretty well together, and a defo improvement on all the once since Clarkson & Co departed.

Never understood how Matt Leblanc could be so wooden and lame in front of a camera.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It’s a light entertainment show...it is not a serious car show.

It’s not perfect by any means but it made me chuckle ,so a thumbs up from me.