closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with Seiko 7548 quartz movement

Help with Seiko 7548 quartz movement

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before. I recently acquired a rather beaten and battered Pepsi 7548 from eBay...

According to the original owner, it had been sitting in a sock drawer for 20 years unused. On arrival I immediately swapped in a new battery, but alas no life - no ticking. That it is until I checked it a day later and the movement started ticking and stopping erratically. It has since starting running for longer periods - sometimes for a few hours before getting stuck.

The obvious solution is to arrange a service, but I suspect this may end up costing considerably more than I paid for the watch! Has anyone had any similar experiences with this movement? Does anyone have any idea what a 7548 movement service would cost and is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forgot to mention - the date wheel also refuses to budge, but I can change the day for some reason. Not sure if this is relevant...

A service should sort it, they are very robust and high quality movements, constructed with removable parts, not a one piece moulded plastic lump like cheap quartz’s, you can still ( just) find donor 7548 or 7546 ‘dress’ Seikos on eBay for £30-40. Try to find a crown at 4 version or you need to swap the calendar wheels too if crown at 3.

I’m not sure who the go to quartz service person on here is, Duncan Thewatchbloke comes to mind though, I expect there’s quite a wait for him though but he might be able to give a rough quote.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Guy Jeffrey ( Bodo ) is your man for anything Seiko quartz. Top bloke.
    rexworthywatches@outlook.com

Duncan is also top of the tree Seiko wise.

If it's ticking erratically and going for longer periods it means the two important components are still functioning, the coil and the circuit. The cause of the starting and stopping will simply be dirt and particles in the wheel train and pivots. A movement service should return it to health.

The day wheel issue could be a damaged day change finger (automatic change over) or a damaged date corrector (quickset changeover).

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I’ll give Bodo a shout and see what he thinks it’ll cost to service and repair the date change. It’ll need a new crystal and seals as well as the existing glass shows signs of some battle damage. The other option is to sell it as it is and try and source a better condition serviced 7548....

Master
    Yeh guys your man- he helped with a few of mine
    That one looks nice - I have a couple myself- I’m on the lookout for a seconds hand for one
    I think a nice catch

Master
    I went to Duncan when my 7548 needed a new crown, top guy to deal with.

Steve