closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New GMT Watch

Craftsman

New GMT Watch

I was missing my GMT2 when this week apple brought out their GMT version !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get behind me satan. That's not a watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It'll keep accurate time, it can be a simple watch, chronograph, GMT etc as needed . Good enough WR for swimming and kayaking. Cheap enough that you don't need to worry about "can I wear it whilst gardening" etc etc

Harrison would've loved it. Appreciate it for what it is.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

download high resolution images instagram

A Smart watch could save your life, whereas a Swiss watch could cost you yours.

On a serious note, the latest Apple watch can monitor oxygen blood level. I'd usually think 'so what', but a couple of months my dad was diagnosed with cancer (in his bone marrow), it was found due to him feeling unfit and doctors noticing his oxygen blood level was very low. He's going through Chemo now and hopes for a full recovery. I've already suggested he buys this watch so he can monitor his health more frequently and effectively, it could save his life.

What is it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    What is it then?
    It is a connected device that needs recharging every couple of days. One might as well call a fitbit a watch.

A watch is supposed to be independent from all outside influences. That is its magic.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

Harrison would've loved it. Appreciate it for what it is.
    Harrison would have had the same opinion as George Daniels.

I totally appreciate it. Just not as a watch. I appreciate mobile phones too, but not as pocket watches.

The term car comes from (horseless) carriage, but nobody today sees the car as some kind of horse-thing.

It is a connected device that needs recharging every couple of days. One might as well call a fitbit a watch. A watch is supposed to be independent from all outside influences. That is its magic.
    Looks like a watch to me.

Master
    It's not a watch really, it is an electronic device that can be worn on your wrist. But yes it can tell you the passage of time.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Harrison would have had the same opinion as George Daniels.

I totally appreciate it. Just not as a watch. I appreciate mobile phones too, but not as pocket watches.

The term car comes from (horseless) carriage, but nobody today sees the car as some kind of horse-thing.
    The term phone comes from telephone, yet most of use ours more for web browsing, social media, photography and messaging. You'd still call it a mobile phone though. Apple say it's a watch, users tell the time on them. It's a watch to me, no more or less of a watch than something with far fewer features.

Features or complications don't define what a watch is, just what it can do. If an Apple watch isn't a watch, is a G-Shock – when does something no longer become a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    It's not a watch really, it is an electronic device that can be worn on your wrist. But yes it can tell you the passage of time.
    I guess the marketing team at Apple ruled out Apple Electronic Device That Can Be Worn On Your Wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

On a serious note, the latest Apple watch can monitor oxygen blood level. I'd usually think 'so what', but a couple of months my dad was diagnosed with cancer (in his bone marrow), it was found due to him feeling unfit and doctors noticing his oxygen blood level was very low. He's going through Chemo now and hopes for a full recovery. I've already suggested he buys this watch so he can monitor his health more frequently and effectively, it could save his life.
    That’s actually pretty helpful indeed - more and more wearable tech is coming out and connecting this to different health point is interesting.

The other day was on a conf call with a few people wearing their Apple watches and they asked me when they noticed my Swiss watch - you can still tell the time on your iPhone so why fork out several Ks? My answer was when the power is out and you can’t recharge how will you tell the time eh!

S

Wearable
    Apple
    Telecommunications
    Chronometer
    Horology

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

The term phone comes from telephone, yet most of use ours more for web browsing, social media, photography and messaging. You'd still call it a mobile phone though. Apple say it's a watch, users tell the time on them. It's a watch to me, no more or less of a watch than something with far fewer features.

Features or complications don't define what a watch is, just what it can do. If an Apple watch isn't a watch, is a G-Shock – when does something no longer become a watch?
    I am sorry to hear that. Here's to a full recovery!

My (late) wife had cancer and we bought a digital thermometer. I was scared because the reading was so low. The district Nurse came around and used her pro thermometer. Completely different reading.

So I'd be sceptical as to whether apple watches can record accurate SATS.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is a connected device that needs recharging every couple of days. One might as well call a fitbit a watch.

A watch is supposed to be independent from all outside influences. That is its magic.
    I do see where you’re coming from, but then my Omega stops if not worn for 48 hours so regular recharging sounds a small limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I guess the marketing team at Apple ruled out Apple Electronic Device That Can Be Worn On Your Wrist.
    I don't think watches as we know them will survive the next ten years. These wearable devices will take over just because they are more useful. So let's enjoy them while it still does not look weird to be wearing "a proper time-only watch".
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Guessing you don't own a manual wind watch.

Master

Journeyman

Sorry to hear about your dad - that must have been awful for you all. Fingers crossed for that full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Oxygen saturation measurement while a welcome development and while Apple watch’s performance on that score is a bit better than Garmin or Fitbit is still not at a stage where it can useful for monitoring or be used as a medical device. Apple also does not make claims that it can be used medically, rather as a measure of wellness.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I recall lots of people saying something similar 45 years ago when digitals were becoming popular.....

I do hope I am wrong. Unfortunately I won't be around in 45 years to find out.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I think withings claim their readings can be used medically.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think withings claim their readings can be used medically.
    This is what Apple says

The Blood Oxygen app can allow you to measure the oxygen level of your blood on-demand directly from your wrist, providing you with insights into your overall wellness. Measurements taken with the Blood Oxygen app are not intended for medical use and are only designed for general fitness and wellness purposes.

It is certainly a big medicolegal liability and they are well advised to say what they say.

Garmin markets their O2 sensor as useful for seeing changes due to altitude (hiking etc.) rather than changes due to medical conditions. Can see it has some merit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I recall lots of people saying something similar 45 years ago when digitals were becoming popular.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The digital watch was really just a different way to display the information - I'm not sure it's the same thing. I just cannot see people who get drawn into the ecosystem at an early age then at a later age going to decide to cut off their access to all the information and services they are used to. Especially as the mechanical watch is at at dead-end and the smart-watch will continue to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This is what Apple says

The Blood Oxygen app can allow you to measure the oxygen level of your blood on-demand directly from your wrist, providing you with insights into your overall wellness. Measurements taken with the Blood Oxygen app are not intended for medical use and are only designed for general fitness and wellness purposes.

It is certainly a big medicolegal liability and they are well advised to say what they say.
    Sorry, should have capitalised Withings. I meant this one.

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/scanwatch

Master
    I was advised that the iwatch 5 can monitor O2 levels but it wasnt enabled as the FDA hadn’t approved it, therefore not enabled. If you look at the back of the watch it does have the clear area where an O2 sensor could operate.

Wonder if it will be a future update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Especially as the mechanical watch is at at dead-end and the smaratch will continue to evolve.
    I decided that the horological crowd does not want a better mechanical movement (as in the Zenith Inventor or the Spring Drive). What they want is the traditional balance, beating like a heart sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry, should have capitalised Withings. I meant this one.

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/scanwatch
    No need to apologise, you were clear enough of first post.
    Apple’s ECG app is good enough to rule out atrial fibrillation which is the primary aim of ECG app and they categorically state if there is Atrial fibrillation or not.
    Example attached.
    Withings make the same claim about their ECG app but not about pulse oximetry

I was watching Richard Osman’s House of Games yesterday (I know) and noticed that John Thompson was wearing what looked like an analogue dive watch with a bezel on one wrist (perhaps a Rolex?) and an Apple Watch on the other. So I wonder if the two might be viewed as complimentary by many rather than an either or choice. We could start to see the majority of people wearing say a Fitbit on one wrist and a watch on the other.

When Apple watches first came out I was working with someone who developed apps for phones. I noticed he had an Apple Watch and being a long time Apple user I asked him what he thought of it. He said that it was alright but didn’t seem too enthused. Then he looked at a what I was wearing and said something to the effect that the Apple Watch was ephemeral and temporary but what I was wearing was something that could be passed down through generations. It had the sort of permanence that electronic devices don’t. As they say of the upgrade cycle: you don’t ever own computers you merely rent them.

The last thing that strikes me is that I didn’t really get into watches until I reached my fifties. Before that I thought them too expensive and assumed I would never have enough spare cash to afford them. Other interests such as cameras and computers seemed a higher priority. Mania for collecting watches hit me later in life. I wonder if that isn’t true of a lot of collectors too. We concentrate on a younger generation forming a desire for watches, for me that didn’t happen until I got older. So just because younger people seem to gravitate towards smart devices, it doesn’t mean that they won’t see analogue watches as desirable later in life.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    This is what I do, albeit with the smallest fitbit available. Id apple made one that was just a slim discrete band that talked to the phone I'd buy one
    Ditto on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Ditto on both counts.
    Same here.