closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying used car, v5 dealer Question

Master

Buying used car, v5 dealer Question

Buying used car from a dealer forecourt.

For some reason they are insisting that the v5 is sent to DVLA by them and I retain the green slip...any cause for concern?

I questioned why they could not just do the process online (like last time I bought a car) which would give me and them an instant confirm email. Their response was that they do not use that method. Sounded odd to me, anything that I should be worried about? Not sure what their angle is to be honest!

I fear DVLA offices are on reduced capacity so sending by post is crazy rather than the automated online process.

I also believe their may be unit stocking finance in place or they were going to put it on but it is showing as HPI clear at this point. I bought the car very quickly after they bought it into stock.

I changed my car a few weeks ago.

Im pretty sure I was just given a "little" slip from the V5........a few days later, I had the V5 back from Swansea.

The car tax I paid online.....(well they sorted that out..I just paid for it!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Buying used car from a dealer forecourt.

For some reason they are insisting that the v5 is sent to DVLA by them and I retain the green slip...any cause for concern?

I questioned why they could not just do the process online (like last time I bought a car) which would give me and them an instant confirm email. Their response was that they do not use that method. Sounded odd to me, anything that I should be worried about? Not sure what their angle is to be honest!

I fear DVLA offices are on reduced capacity so sending by post is crazy rather than the automated online process.

I also believe their may be unit stocking finance in place or they were going to put it on but it is showing as HPI clear at this point. I bought the car very quickly after they bought it into stock.
    absolutely normal, make sure you get a full receipt for your purchase though

I'm pretty sure that the responsibility for reporting a change of Registered Keeper to DVLA lies with the seller. Otherwise you could buy a vehicle, not bother registering it, and the buyer would receive any speeding and parking fines, etc.

The V5C tells the seller to give Section 6 (the green New keeper slip) to the new RK.

When I last bought a second-hand car (in January 2020) from a Mazda main dealer, this is exactly what they did. They also would not show me the first page of the V5C (which contained the previous owner's name and address) to comply with their obligations under GDPR.

Master
    I understand the above. My question is around the dealer wanting to post rather than do the process online which I found strange.

I know if you do it online my v5 should arrive within a few days. By post could take weeks!

Maybe I am being overly suspicious.

Craftsman
    im into my 7th week waiting for my v5

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    im into my 7th week waiting for my v5
    This is my concern, I hear the DVLA offices are not manned.

Makes me think there is another reason dealer wants to go this route, possibly something to do with the unit stocking finance.

Craftsman
    i got the little green slip and they kept my documents...i would imagine they send them off too

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a secondhand Honda from a Honda dealership in January. They sent the paperwork off and the V5 turned up eventually.

Master
    You’ve probably hit the nail on the head ref the stocking, by insisting on posting off the V5’s doesn’t make sense- if you were P/x something then yes they might want to post the V5, as it’ll leave the car taxed for longer.

Takes 30 seconds to register the car online as a Dealer, no reason to post unless he’s trying to utilise the stocking plan for cash flow purposes.

This is my concern, I hear the DVLA offices are not manned.

Makes me think there is another reason dealer wants to go this route, possibly something to do with the unit stocking finance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    You’ve probably hit the nail on the head ref the stocking, by insisting on posting off the V5’s doesn’t make sense- if you were P/x something then yes they might want to post the V5, as it’ll leave the car taxed for longer.

Takes 30 seconds to register the car online as a Dealer, no reason to post unless he’s trying to utilise the stocking plan for cash flow purposes.
    Hmmm...any risk for me in this does anybody know?

Master
    Unit stocking is not the same as HP, I.e. they cannot come after you if the stocking isn’t cleared- A reputable Dealer should clear the stocking once the car has been sold, you’ll find funders will regularly check that funded cars are still with the dealer etc... unfortunately there are some unscrupulous garages that will play the system, not clear cars that they’ve been paid for, just to help with their cash flow.

You’re safe taking the car but I’d ask them to state on the invoice that the funding will cleared within 7 days or words to that effect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Unit stocking is not the same as HP, I.e. they cannot come after you if the stocking isn’t cleared-
    If this is correct, I have peace of mind!

No delays at DVLA I bought a new car under two weeks ago, got the new V5 a few days after seller posted it, I assigned a new number plate on Thursday and got a new v5 yesterday.

Master
    Unless the law has changed recently-Always used to be the case, that as long as you the buyer can prove it’s a bona fide sale, invoice, proof of payment etc... then the funder of the plan has no legal right over the vehicle (have been in the trade over 20 years)

If this is correct, I have peace of mind!

Master
    Thank you Rob153..

Just refreshed the HPI again now and currently no finance marker on there so hopefully all will be fine.
    Surely they will not add the marker after I have taken it!

Master
    I've just bought a 2nd hand car and traded my old one in. Both transfers and tax cancelling / new car was handled by the dealer, online, in front of me. I received the new v5 a week later. Full sales receipt, naturally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I've just bought a 2nd hand car and traded my old one in. Both transfers and tax cancelling / new car was handled by the dealer, online, in front of me. I received the new v5 a week later. Full sales receipt, naturally.
    Thank you. I am aware that when done online, the process is quick and efficient as you describe.

My case is different as you can see in the OP!

I understand the above. My question is around the dealer wanting to post rather than do the process online which I found strange.

I know if you do it online my v5 should arrive within a few days. By post could take weeks!

Maybe I am being overly suspicious.
    I can’t understand why your dealer doesn’t want to do it online. Saves the cost of a stamp and messing around with the post. I sold three motor bikes in the last two months, all change of owners done online and new owners received their V5’s within 5 days.

I got my car last year all via the phone (took a bit risk but it was fine) paid for the car and it was delivered on a wagon a few days later. he said he sent off the documents to the DVLA but I never received them. Panic mode set in after a month or so, I called the DVLA who said they had no record of a change of ownership and I would need to fill in a document (the name I cant remember) and they would sort it.

Sent the form off - with no proof what so ever that I purchased the car, and a V5 turned up a few days later. I was glad to reiceve the document finally, but at the same time seemed a little to easy to get the car changed to my details!

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I got my car last year all via the phone (took a bit risk but it was fine) paid for the car and it was delivered on a wagon a few days later. he said he sent off the documents to the DVLA but I never received them. Panic mode set in after a month or so, I called the DVLA who said they had no record of a change of ownership and I would need to fill in a document (the name I cant remember) and they would sort it.

Sent the form off - with no proof what so ever that I purchased the car, and a V5 turned up a few days later. I was glad to reiceve the document finally, but at the same time seemed a little to easy to get the car changed to my details!
    Abu Hamza's kids used to fill out the same form for nice cars in long stay airport carparks. The owners would return from holiday to find no car and when they called the police they were told it wasn't their car anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/...za-sons-jailed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Abu Hamza's kids used to fill out the same form for nice cars in long stay airport carparks. The owners would return from holiday to find no car and when they called the police they were told it wasn't their car anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/...za-sons-jailed
    Wow - the audasity of some people! As the article says, it does seem like a loophole and too easy to change the name. I guess the reverse argument is, it only changed the registered keeper and the owner and registered keeper are not the same thing. Although we all usually see them as one and the same as this case proves.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I can’t understand why your dealer doesn’t want to do it online. Saves the cost of a stamp and messing around with the post. I sold three motor bikes in the last two months, all change of owners done online and new owners received their V5’s within 5 days.
    I am with you, I cannot understand it at all. Had a heated debate with the garage today about this issue and sounds like they will come around to 'make an exception' and do the process online.