closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: And so it begins - new LV Sub available at grey

Master

And so it begins - new LV Sub available at grey

Craftsman
    £19950!?!?

This really blows my mind.... perhaps I just don’t get the hype.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Wow 12k over retail! Must be anticipating serious demand on these.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

There’s one local to me for similar money. Totally insane.

Journeyman
    They’ve had a couple for a week or so. Not sold yet (as I write this) so hardly seeing people gouging each other’s eyes out to buy at that price.

The bubble has burst

Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    They’ve had a couple for a week or so. Not sold yet (as I write this) so hardly seeing people gouging each other’s eyes out to buy at that price.

Craftsman

Rolex should.....

make them readily available to the public. I get it when vintage and discontinued pieces go up in value but having to pay more then double the MSRP for a watch that has just hit the market of wich there will be made plenty to quench the thirst of passionate watch lovers is rediculous. Then again if they were readily available they might not be so sought after as everyone could own one. Is that their strategy perhaps? Apparently ROLEX is OK with this. They are missing out on extra profit. If I were them I would up the MRSP as obviously the public is willing to pay it and get the AD's enough watches to put on their shelves. Grey dealers and flippers wouldn't be buying them up as they wouldn't be able to make money on the new models...
    That's just me thinking ofcourse.
    I can not help wonder if working at a ROLEX AD won't corrupt you knowing you may well be able to pass them on to a friend/dealer and make a fast buck...
    Do AD's really sell all these to the same guy all the time?
    Pretty frustrating and mind you Tudor is looking more attractive to me every day as you can still walk in and order/get the piece you desire.

Guillermo

Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    make them readily available to the public. I get it when vintage and discontinued pieces go up in value but having to pay more then double the MSRP for a watch that has just hit the market of wich there will be made plenty to quench the thirst of passionate watch lovers is rediculous. Then again if they were readily available they might not be so sought after as everyone could own one. Is that their strategy perhaps? Apparently ROLEX is OK with this. They are missing out on extra profit. If I were them I would up the MRSP as obviously the public is willing to pay it and get the AD's enough watches to put on their shelves. Grey dealers and flippers wouldn't be buying them up as they wouldn't be able to make money on the new models...

Guillermo
    Thanks for the wonderful advice. Will pass it on to Rolex higher ups who obviously don’t know what they are doing.

He's allowed to share his thinking on any topic, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful advice. Will pass it on to Rolex higher ups who obviously don’t know what they are doing.

About 40 mins too late (post 728 below).
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Watches/page15

Blog Entries
    I can not help wonder if working at a ROLEX AD won't corrupt you knowing you may well be able to pass them on to a friend/dealer and make a fast buck...
    Pretty frustrating and mind you Tudor is looking more attractive to me every day as you can still walk in and order/get the piece you desire.

Guillermo
    Rolex make watches that are very popular, why would they not be "...OK with this?".

Why put prices up? Why do you think that would make them more available to people like me who like their watches? At the moment you have a choice. Wait and pay retail price or buy now for an inflated premium. Your idea would remove that choice.

An AD sold me the new Sub, so it doesn't seem they sell to the same guy all the time in my experience.

Journeyman
    At that price it’s not a bubble, it’s a blimp....
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The bubble has burst

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The bubble has burst
    People have been saying that to my certain knowledge since the 1980's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

They ask these crazy prices because someone is always willing to pay. The instagram and TRF crowd who have to have it now so they can flash some pics in front of an expensive car.

Let them get on with it because they are actually propping those businesses up by giving them profit. That enables them to carry more stock for the rest of us and not everything is priced in this way.

So the guys who pay £20k are actually providing a service to the rest of us.

Guillermo
    If Rolex were to make enough to satisfy demand then demand would fall through the floor. I see Rolex buyers falling into three categories, those who like them, those who want what they can't have and those who see a quick profit. Of those demand is probably lowest from the group that know the brand, know the history and really want to own the watch. If they made them available to all those in the second two categories would no longer be interested and you would be back to seeing Subs in AD windows with discounts available. The next thing that happens is that pre-owned values fall off a cliff and they alienate those in the first category as well.
    Rolex, love them or loathe them, know exactly how to control demand.

Sickening and depressing in equal measure.

Master
    Do dealers still retain the warranty card on in-demand models ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Not sure on BLRO or Daytona, but probably not. Not on the SD43 and D-Blue I picked up in the last 2 months.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure on BLRO or Daytona, but probably not. Not on the SD43 and D-Blue I picked up in the last 2 months.
    Nope, they don't withhold the warranty card anymore.

They do take off all the stickers, and no longer give the watch coffin or bezel protector with the watch either.

Master
    I’m still jealous of your Deep Blue. Had to add my name to the list of six watches on the ‘wish list’ (the limit is three).

I’m still jealous of your Deep Blue. Had to add my name to the list of six watches on the ‘wish list’ (the limit is three).
    It's a lovely watch but needs lovely weather to fully enjoy the dial. Between that and the SD43 I never wear my Sub or BLNR. Funny how something is your favourite until something new comes alone.

Damn! Now I like the brand but this is getting ridiculous...

S

Master
    All the brand new models on eBay seem to have their cards.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I got the card with my no-date but they insisted on taking the stickers off.

Journeyman
    £20k !! properly mental

ouch see the Hulk is taking a nose dive from 20k

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    £20k !! properly mental
    Indeed. It's tempting to think that these prices are being paid by the more money than sense crowd but if I had more money than sense I wouldn't be messing about with the lowly stainless steel models, I'd just go straight to rocking the full gold versions. So who's paying these prices???

Journeyman
    to be honest I had no idea they are being (or are perceived to be) manufactured in such small quantities... how long is waiting list for one atm?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Indeed. It's tempting to think that these prices are being paid by the more money than sense crowd but if I had more money than sense I wouldn't be messing about with the lowly stainless steel models, I'd just go straight to rocking the full gold versions. So who's paying these prices???
    There are people who will not be seen dead wearing gold. Especially Rolex gold.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    to be honest I had no idea they are being (or are perceived to be) manufactured in such small quantities... how long is waiting list for one atm?
    No such thing a waitlist. Put your name down with a registration of interest and if you're lucky they'll call you. Most places will use a mix of past spend/trust and if it fits your buying profile/history/collection.

Craftsman

Secondary dealers

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Seems to be a similar position to the models landing in the usual Secondary dealers thick and fast at the moment. Purchased from the AD and landing at the Secondary dealers quicker than you can say VIP clients purchase history.

Check Roman Sharf's most recent video. They go from the AD straight to the grey market. Roman's opinion is that the AD would be stupid to offer it over the counter. Listen to it, it presents some interesting "numbers"...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVGQeP8rPQ
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

And so it begins - new LV Sub available at grey

For those are are not buying to sell for profit, I guess beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. There is a saying in Chinese “”a thousand pieces of gold cannot buy your heart’s desire””, meaning there is no price too high for what you really want.

I know what you mean about the money. I guess for me, I just don’t want these models that much! Would I pay £20K for a watch that I really want? Yes of course and have done so several times before. But at that price I would be Looking for fine finishing dial side or movement side or an interesting complication. Those are the things about watches which floats my boat and those are the areas I put value in.

Then there is the aspect of above market value. But in many ways, can we even consider the AD RRP the “true market” with SS sports Rolex and PP models anymore? With the rather limit supply from AD routes, I would say the real market for these are these models are the grey and secondary market.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Check Roman Sharf's most recent video. They go from the AD straight to the grey market. Roman's opinion is that the AD would be stupid to offer it over the counter. Listen to it, it presents some interesting "numbers"...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVGQeP8rPQ
    You beat me to it although Roman is talking about the US. Maybe the UK isn't quite the same (and there are examples of TZers already getting their hands on a Kermit via the AD route so clearly not all are going straight to the greys.

In 2018 when I got my BLNR from the AD the salesman said that he had to retain the warranty card because Rolex had asked them to do everything possible to ensure that they did not supply to the grey market and that Rolex were actively checking serial numbers etc to see who had supplied brand new stock to the grey market. Could have been BS but there you are.

Master
    You beat me to it although Roman is talking about the US. Maybe the UK isn't quite the same (and there are examples of TZers already getting their hands on a Kermit via the AD route so clearly not all are going straight to the greys.

In 2018 when I got my BLNR from the AD the salesman said that he had to retain the warranty card because Rolex had asked them to do everything possible to ensure that they did not supply to the grey market and that Rolex were actively checking serial numbers etc to see who had supplied brand new stock to the grey market. Could have been BS but there you are.
    It happens in the uk also

Craftsman

Market RRP

“the AD RRP the “true market” with SS sports Rolex and PP models anymore? With the rather limit supply from AD routes, I would say the real market for these are these models are the grey and secondary market.”

With the near non availability to anyone walking in off the street too buy some models at an AD, this has forced many into the Secondary market and the subsequent costs over RRP.

The mantra that the market dictates the asking price is well worn but if we flipped it and the manufacturers decided to start using Secondary market prices as an indicator of what they could charge, how would we feel if Rolex upped the RRP on the Submariner to £15k and the new LV to £18k, with the steel Daytona at £23k. Would these kind of RRP asking prices still have the models flying off the shelves or would we be asking, how can Rolex charge that amount for a basic steel watch!

Master
    This thread is a combination of hypocrisy and a failure to accept the reality of life.

A few years ago one of the most common topics was how much discount you could negotiate off an AD and how nice the Greys were for forcing the prices down. Now everyone is moaning about Greys forcing prices up and how evil they are. You can't have it both ways, the RRP means nothing, the only price that counts is the one that the market will stand.

The market price is the balance of upward and downward forces and it is fair and honest. If you think the prices are too high, buy something else.

One thing the Greys are good at is survival, they know when to drop the price and when to push it up. I call that commercial acumen.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    TZ:
    Greys when they're selling Omega Cartier Panerai whatever at -25% = check iconic for prices!
    Greys when they're selling a 126610 that they paid 15k for = Down with greys!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    TZ:
    Greys when they're selling Omega Cartier Panerai whatever at -25% = check iconic for prices!
    The same people who want "what I paid for it" or "what it owes me".

It's simple. Chuck the new LV up for £20k and if the phone rings off the hook put the next one up for £25k. If it doesn't ring at all drop it a bit and repeat until the phone does ring. It's a mental price but a handful might pay it and after that it will find its level. Supply and demand and there probably aren't even 50 in the UK.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This thread is a combination of hypocrisy and a failure to accept the reality of life.

A few years ago one of the most common topics was how much discount you could negotiate off an AD and how nice the Greys were for forcing the prices down. Now everyone is moaning about Greys forcing prices up and how evil they are. You can't have it both ways, the RRP means nothing, the only price that counts is the one that the market will stand.

The market price is the balance of upward and downward forces and it is fair and honest.
    Well said. Supply and demand. Whinging about it is neither here nor there and it won't get anyone anywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    how would we feel if Rolex upped the RRP on the Submariner to £15k and the new LV to £18k, with the steel Daytona at £23k.

I'd be quite relieved to be honest. I could stop worrying about whether I might be able to get a new one from my AD because I would not be interested at those prices. I think (never had the chance to test!) that £10,000 would be my absolute limit for a steel Rolex.

Blog Entries
    No such thing a waitlist. Put your name down with a registration of interest and if you're lucky they'll call you. Most places will use a mix of past spend/trust and if it fits your buying profile/history/collection.
    Yes I think you're right. Worked for me this time, and nobody was more surprised than me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    TZ: