closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad Pro’s question?

iPad Pro’s question?

I travel for work and we are starting to get limits on electronics we can carry to work so instead of taking my MacBook Pro and IPad I’m now thinking about getting an IPad Pro and a keyboard to cover both options, the MacBook is on,y used basically for saving documents on a pen drive etc seeing as work blocked external drives into their comps, internet stuff nothing too intensive.

Question is which I’m struggling to find out, could I attached an external pen drive to a iPad Pro for downloading saving etc etc?

Only things I seem to find is about different formats, ideally just wondered if anyone knows, if I can I can get one and get rid of the other MacBook and iPad.

I still have a desktop at home I can use for heavy computer work scopes the iPad Pro is more for work and travelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Is cloud storage an option? Save to OneDrive or Google Drive? Then you can access from any device.

If you want to go down the USB drive route, you will need a USB camera adapter and read on: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...c415e32/ipados

Blog Entries
    I believe the latest version has a USB C port
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Is cloud storage an option? Save to OneDrive or Google Drive? Then you can access from any device.

If you want to go down the USB drive route, you will need a USB camera adapter and read on: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...c415e32/ipados
    Not sue, they block access to the app store so not sure if that would be a problem, basically work have stopped us plugging our external drives into works computers, so if i need to do some personal work i have to use my macbook and a usb to then save anything personal, so i was wondering if the ipad pro's would be useful so i could do work on one of those and save to a pen drive.

Would also mean just taking 1 device instaed of the macbook and ipad.

Also can you use excel, word etc etc on a ipad pro, that would be the clincher for me if i can...

Journeyman
    ipad pro has USB c but flash drives cannot be used with it - good old apple.
    As suggested, cloud storage is the way, or buy a pro with a lot of storage space

The answer is yes - the last two generations of iPad Pro allow you to attach a USB-C drive and access it via the Files app. It's OK, not as easy to live with as a MacBook, but once you get into a rhythm with it, it's fine. If all you want to do is use it as a vehicle for getting data onto a USB drive, it'll be absolutely fine. There are a number of drives on the market that have both a USB-C and a USB-A connection, which makes it much easier to move between different types of computer.

My only guidance would be choose your keyboard cover wisely. If you're looking at the new Magic Keyboard, it is a superb thing but the size and weight of it all makes a MacBook Air a more portable option.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    The answer is yes - the last two generations of iPad Pro allow you to attach a USB-C drive and access it via the Files app. It's OK, not as easy to live with as a MacBook, but once you get into a rhythm with it, it's fine. If all you want to do is use it as a vehicle for getting data onto a USB drive, it'll be absolutely fine. There are a number of drives on the market that have both a USB-C and a USB-A connection, which makes it much easier to move between different types of computer.

My only guidance would be choose your keyboard cover wisely. If you're looking at the new Magic Keyboard, it is a superb thing but the size and weight of it all makes a MacBook Air a more portable option.
    Ok well that looks like it may be the better option for me, i'll have a look at PC World and the Airports at this new keyboard then, may keep the old ipad for the little one to mess about with at home if i do go down this route...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    This link has all the info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186
    Perfect many thanks, never seen this page when ive searched...

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    ipad pro has USB c but flash drives cannot be used with it - good old apple.
    As suggested, cloud storage is the way, or buy a pro with a lot of storage space
    If thats the case then it will be no good for me, i'm going to have to go and phyiscally try one out in a shop with a flash drive in hand then...

Respectfully, the advice above from thejoker is wrong - flash drives definitely can be used with the iPad Pro. It never used to be possible, but it has been since iOS 13 (poss 13.1, I forget) with the last generation of iPad Pro with the USB-C port.

edit - watch this, this is the drive I use with mine with the dual-connections: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-w0GI71JtQ

Respectfully, the advice above from thejoker is wrong - flash drives definitely can be used with the iPad Pro. It never used to be possible, but it has been since iOS 13 (poss 13.1, I forget) with the last generation of iPad Pro with the USB-C port.

edit - watch this, this is the drive I use with mine with the dual-connections: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-w0GI71JtQ
    I’ll have a look later on thanks, I’m hoping my usb flash can be used with some type of usb c adaptor and no connection issues which would be perfect for me to alternate between a usb connection and the usb c on the pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    If thats the case then it will be no good for me, i'm going to have to go and phyiscally try one out in a shop with a flash drive in hand then...
    You used to get double-ended drives (USB3/Lightning) with their own app on the ipad. You simply opened the files from the flash-drive.

I suspect they will also do them for USB/USBC now?

Sandisk do them, but the ones I have were from a different maker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iXp...0768264&sr=8-4

Craftsman
    Just be aware that although you will definitely be able to access those thumb drives the files app is nowhere near as intuitive to use as explorer or finder on a proper laptop if that’s what you are used to.

Yes it works, but it’s a clunky experience. If possible I would recommend you have a go before you make the move to iPad.

For what it’s worth my wife and I swapped to an iPad Pro exclusively a year or so back. Much of the time it’s perfect, but there’s been a couple of occasions I’ve had to fire up the old laptop to accomplish the odd task or two.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Just be aware that although you will definitely be able to access those thumb drives the files app is nowhere near as intuitive to use as explorer or finder on a proper laptop if that’s what you are used to.

Yes it works, but it’s a clunky experience. If possible I would recommend you have a go before you make the move to iPad.

For what it’s worth my wife and I swapped to an iPad Pro exclusively a year or so back. Much of the time it’s perfect, but there’s been a couple of occasions I’ve had to fire up the old laptop to accomplish the odd task or two.
    Yes, for more than occasional use- it could prove frustrating.

I think for Office use - the MS Surface Pro is the better machine, but for all-round use - the IPad Pro is great.

Craftsman
    i found editing documents on IOS that i have made on windows/mac office was fine, so long as those documents were saved in my MS onedrive it is pretty seamless. Creating new documents on IOS was a bit of a pain as entering data or similar was fiddly.

You can definitely save to a USB flash drive and open files from one. Safari downloads can be moved from the Downloads folder to the drive in the Files app.

Journeyman

My apologies. had not realised things had changed. thank you for the correction :)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, for more than occasional use- it could prove frustrating.

I think for Office use - the MS Surface Pro is the better machine, but for all-round use - the IPad Pro is great.
    That could be an option, use my iPhone so I can FaceTime my daughter when away and then the MS surface pro for work purposes, keep an iPad at home for the daughter to play on etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    That could be an option, use my iPhone so I can FaceTime my daughter when away and then the MS surface pro for work purposes, keep an iPad at home for the daughter to play on etc etc...

Get daughter to ditch Facetime in favour of Whatsapp or Zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Get daughter to ditch Facetime in favour of Whatsapp or Zoom?
    I can't, her mother knows nothing outside of Apple, tried before and it didn't work, hence owning an iphone...