closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death of the ‘maxi-Case’ ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It was the combination of ceramic bezel and ‘bigger’ or bigger looking case. It was something different, not necessarily better. Just like cars undergo changes in Shape and sizes, so do watches. Rolex can’t go on making same looking watches for centuries with only changes in movement, though obviously some would prefer that. Some people are resistant to change and stagnant, some welcome change. Commercially it worked wonders for Rolex. Rest is down to personal preference. I am able to enjoy both, so not a big deal for me. One thing I will definitely say- I laugh at people who wear their preference for 5 digit cases as a badge of honour.

And for those who are hailing this return to ‘normalcy’, this is not your grandpa’s Submariner. For the record, I do like it a lot but is not different enough from the maxi case for me to rush out to buy it, though I will get one in due course.
    Confusing cause and correlation, I suspect. The frenzy around the stainless steel models occurred well after the introduction of the supercase so no reason to believe the larger cases in any way drove recent commercial success.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 22nd September 2020 at 14:26.

The maxi case was an experiment that didn't work. It could have worked, but it didn't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Switching between 5 digit and maxi case, the maxi is definitely comparatively uncomfortable and takes about 24h before getting used to it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Switching between 5 digit and maxi case, the maxi is definitely comparatively uncomfortable and takes about 24h before getting used to it again.
    That's interesting, I wonder if the same will be true switching between the new Subs and the maxi case? Might be the extra size would soften the transition perhaps?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The maxi case was an experiment that didn't work. It could have worked, but it didn't.
    Yeah, they only sold several millions of those, that people waited for months and years to obtain and commanded prices way over the retail. You are right. It didn’t work.

Craftsman

Media

Yeah, they only sold several millions of those, that people waited for months and years to obtain and commanded prices way over the retail. You are right. It didn’t work.

It was not the introduction of the Maxi case for Rolex that suddenly made them irresistible to everyone but rather the arrival of Social media into everyone’s lives. The power of Social media, whether that is influencer or the Kardashians or some talentless wonder behind a keyboard, has allowed Gucci to sell more sneakers, Vuitton to sell more handbags and Rolex to sell more watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    It was not the introduction of the Maxi case for Rolex that suddenly made them irresistible to everyone but rather the arrival of Social media into everyone’s lives. The power of Social media, whether that is influencer or the Kardashians or some talentless wonder behind a keyboard, has allowed Gucci to sell more sneakers, Vuitton to sell more handbags and Rolex to sell more watches.
    It could be the social media or could be the Chinese or could be something else, the fact remains Rolex did very well with the maxi case. So, in no way it is not a success. Whatever a small group of narrow minded people, many of whom are incapable of independent thinking and are stuck in the past think. They do not ( fortunately) represent the entire Rolex buying segment of the population. Even if they have delusions of being the most worthy, discerning,
    refined, pure etc etc.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 22nd September 2020 at 20:14.

Master
    It could be the social media or could be the Chinese or could be something else, the fact remains Rolex did very well with the maxi case. So, in no way it is not a success. Whatever a small group of narrow minded people, many of whom are incapable of independent thinking and are stuck in the past think. They do not ( fortunately) represent the entire Rolex buying segment of the population.
    You mean people on here who either own both 5 and 6 digit models or did own both at some point and express an informed opinion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You mean people on here who either own both 5 and 6 digit models or did own both at some point and express an informed opinion on it?
    We are not discussing merits of 5 or 6 digits cases. The discussion is about whether maxi cases were a success or a flop.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion or preference but not to their own facts.

It could be the social media or could be the Chinese or could be something else, the fact remains Rolex did very well with the maxi case. So, in no way it is not a success. Whatever a small group of narrow minded people, many of whom are incapable of independent thinking and are stuck in the past think. They do not ( fortunately) represent the entire Rolex buying segment of the population. Even if they have delusions of being the most worthy, discerning,
    refined, pure etc etc.
    In the last 10 years stainless steel sports Rolex models have done well - whatever the model, people were buying into the cache of the bling, that you choose not to acknowledge that is your right.
    Reading this thread suggests that Rolex were late to the game with the ''full fat'' obese models and they were lucky that Gok Wan, the Kardashians and other ''influencers'' came along just when they did, for my part I'm pleased that I never bought into the ''emperor's new clothes''.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

One has to be a special kind of idiot to think that Rolex’s good fortunes in the last decade are down to social media or that social media is exclusive to Rolex. Social media are littered with as many pics of other brands as Rolex. Surely it has played a part in general public’s awareness of luxury goods or stoking their desires to buy and own and flash their luxury goods or what are perceived to be desirable goods. Successful products had their success exemplified by awareness caused by social media but their success was hardly due to social media alone. Otherwise all luxury products would have enjoyed
    similar success.

Keep digging Raj.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    In the last 10 years stainless steel sports Rolex models have done well - whatever the model, people were buying into the cache of the bling, that you choose not to acknowledge that is your right.
    Reading this thread suggests that Rolex were late to the game with the ''full fat'' obese models and they were lucky that Gok Wan, the Kardashians and other ''influencers'' came along just when they did, for my part I'm pleased that I never bought into the ''emperor's new clothes''.
    I don't pay Mr Wan, the Kardashians or other 'influencers' any mind at all, in fact I don't think I've ever watched them for more than 10 seconds before flicking the channel or read anything they have said. But why do you think they wear or promote Rolex instead of, say, Bremont or Seiko?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Absolutely. And like all Rolex mistakes in years to come they will command ultra extra premium. When do you think we will be seeing a maxi case again?

Master
    We are not discussing merits of 5 or 6 digits cases. The discussion is about whether maxi cases were a success or a flop.
    I disagree
    It is just a fact that the maxi case was a styling faux pas.

If Rolex stuck to the maxi case nobody would have batted an eyelid. It is only because Rolex themselves started narrowing the lugs, first with the batgirl and now with the sub, that the maxi case started coming into question.
    Last edited by abraxas; 22nd September 2020 at 23:29.

Apprentice
    I think Rolex have viewed it as a mistake on their part and clearly prefer to go down the route of larger watches while being more balanced and slimmer contours. Also Rolex will not have wanted to go back to the slimmer pre ceramic case design as it is uncommon for them to look backwards like Tudor with the Black bay so it is clear they do not believe it was the right decision.

Craftsman

In time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I disagree
    It is just a fact that the maxi case was a styling faux pas.

No one can question the market success Rolex has acquired but the maxi case did not drive that but as I said in an earlier reply, I feel that the rise of Social media and celebrity lifestyles in everyone’s face 24/7 has driven not just Rolex Sales but many brands within the aspirational luxury goods sector. If Rolex were producing 50mm Subs and the hype said they were the must have no matter how stupid it looked on the wrist, they would have sold out and probably be double RRP in the secondary market

The maxi case was what Rolex had to offer, undoubtedly a level of hype entered into Rolex sales which sparked a need to acquire from the masses and the subsequent sales enjoyed either by AD or the Secondary dealers.

As Rolex now moves away from the Maxi case and I would expect in the near future the maxi dial in the case of the Explorer 11, how the maxi case legacy (if it has one) will be looked upon as the new releases filter into the market, is what many who invested into the Maxi case models are waiting to see. Will the maxi case retain enough interest from buyers to maintain it’s current value status or as the newer models capture the interest and no doubt social media hype, are the old maxi cases seen as a dated “ styling faux pas” that represents a period of excessive size, that appears Rolex was happy to get rid of.

Only time will tell if the maxi becomes a highly prized item or one to be forgotten. In twenty years, maybe Maxi case Rolex , Panerai and 52mm U-boat will be the Iconic for the next generation.

Master
    Keen watch fans have long since made up there own minds on maxicases, and as a 'keeper' I imagine it'll be less sought after. I doubt it will lead to much price change though. If supply of the new versions remains restricted then attention falls to what can be found used, and a submariner is still just as popular as ever.
    To add to this, for a non watch fanatic, the change is probably barely noticeable.

Master
    That is not ‘what the discussion is about’, that’s simply redefining the terms of the discussion to prove you’re right! It is about whether the maxi case was an aesthetic success or an improvement in design terms, in your opinion, and opinions will vary. It seems it’s not the opinion of Rolex themselves that it was an improvement, though it did serve the purpose of making the sub look bigger, until such time as they got around to redesigning the whole watch.

I think it’s reasonable to argue that part of the Rolex design language is a case and bracelet that flow together to some extent, though not as much as with an integrated bracelet, which takes the idea a step further (as did the Oysterquartz and related watches). The shape that this creates is part of their essential design DNA. Personally I found the maxi case less elegant for this reason, though for some who wanted a bigger watch it was a price worth paying. The new model has the best of both worlds, assuming a larger sub is what you actually want.

Of course the maxi case generation sold well, as did a lot of luxury watches, with Rolex inevitably cashing in on being the most recognisable brand, desired both by people who know a lot about watches, and those who know nothing at all. Larger and in many cases blingier watches have served Rolex well in sales terms. Whether that makes them ‘the best’ in design terms is a matter of opinion. Rolex have been gilding the lily for decades, and while the watches have improved technically and are more obviously luxurious, it’s interesting that people will pay a huge premium for older models that haven’t been ‘improved’. It’s similar to music, where the ‘stadium rock’ stage of maximum sales doesn’t always represent the creative peak.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd September 2020 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    If Rolex stuck to the maxi case nobody would have batted an eyelid. It is only because Rolex themselves started narrowing the lugs, first with the batgirl and now with the sub, that the maxi case started coming into question.
    Many of the opinions above - would refute that.

I’ve always maintained that it was shonky.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That is not ‘what the discussion is about’, that’s simply redefining the terms of the discussion to prove you’re right! It is about whether the maxi case was an aesthetic success or an improvement in design terms, in your opinion, and opinions will vary. It seems it’s not the opinion of Rolex themselves that it was improvement, though it did serve the purpose of making the sub look bigger, until such time as they got around to redesigning the whole watch.

I think it’s reasonable to argue that part of the Rolex design language is a case and bracelet that flow together to some extent, though not as much as with an integrated bracelet, which takes the idea a step further (as did the Oysterquartz and related watches). The shape that this creates is part of their essential design DNA. Personally I found the maxi case less elegant for this reason, though for some having a bigger watch was a price worth paying. The new model has the best of both worlds, assuming a larger sub is what you actually want.

Of course the maxi case generation sold well, as did a lot of luxury watches, with Rolex inevitably cashing in on being the most recognisable brand, desired both by people who know both a lot about watches, and those who know nothing at all. Larger and in many cases blingier watches have served Rolex well in sales terms. Whether that makes them ‘the best’ in design terms is matter of opinion. Rolex have been gilding the lily for decades, and while the watches have improved technically and are more obviously luxurious, it’s interesting that people will pay a huge premium for older models that haven’t been ‘improved’. It’s similar to music, where the ‘stadium rock’ stage of maximum sales doesn’t always represent the creative peak.
    A reasonable post even if I do not agree entirely
    The reason for the new design is simply that Rolex needs to constantly make changes to keep on selling more watches. It has gotten enough out of maxi case and the best way to sell another Submariner to a maxi case owner is to offer something different. In a few years, it will be tweaked again. That is the nature of business.

Master
    A reasonable post even if I do not agree entirely
    The reason for the new design is simply that Rolex needs to constantly make changes to keep on selling more watches. It has gotten enough out of maxi case and the best way to sell another Submariner to a maxi case owner is to offer something different. In a few years, it will be tweaked again. That is the nature of business.
    The maxi case may yet get the last laugh - the lugs can be refinished so many times that it could age well.

The maxi case may yet get the last laugh - the lugs can be refinished so many times that it could age well.
    Ha!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was the combination of ceramic bezel and ‘bigger’ or bigger looking case. It was something different, not necessarily better. Just like cars undergo changes in Shape and sizes, so do watches. Rolex can’t go on making same looking watches for centuries with only changes in movement, though obviously some would prefer that. Some people are resistant to change and stagnant, some welcome change. Commercially it worked wonders for Rolex. Rest is down to personal preference. I am able to enjoy both, so not a big deal for me. One thing I will definitely say- I laugh at people who wear their preference for 5 digit cases as a badge of honour.

And for those who are hailing this return to ‘normalcy’, this is not your grandpa’s Submariner. For the record, I do like it a lot but is not different enough from the maxi case for me to rush out to buy it, though I will get one in due course.
    Thank you for the reply. I would like to try the new model - the maxi-case left me cold so fingers crossed this new iteration will tempt me back.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I would like to try the new model - the maxi-case left me cold so fingers crossed this new iteration will tempt me back.
    You are welcome. Hope you like the newer version.

Journeyman
    haha amazing

Master
    I thought it was called the super case. Maxi refers to maxi dial.

Sorry, been hanging around on TRF too long.

Master
    refined, pure etc etc.
    The simple truth is that nearly all of Rolex customers couldn't give a damn about maxi case or any other shape, they bought the watch because it had Rolex written on the dial and they knew it was a good watch.

The maxi case was in short supply and sold well above RRP so calling it a failure is just not sensible. It was a very much wanted watch.

It is only a small minority who get wound up over this sort of thing.

Journeyman
    I feel it was a styling error. Does not look good on average or smaller than average wrists. Diameter too small, lug width too small, case too big. An error duly rectified with the new 2020 sub. I predict the maxi case models will not have a glorious future as vintage watches for this reason. But this will obviously take some time given the £20k hulks in the grey market

Give me vintage over new any day (with a very few exceptions). When i first started collecting I liked Bubblebacks, and Sotheby's and Christies used to sell a bunch of them (with a few Daytonas thrown in) - they're virtually unheard of these days.