closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: After your first tag

Journeyman

After your first tag

I asked previously “why no love for the TAG”. It seems that like me, a lot of you started with a TAG. Out of curiosity, what did you get after that? A lot of you say it was your first watch, so what did you get next?
    Last edited by Thejoker; 21st September 2020 at 10:03.

After your first tag

Seamaster Quartz....

Seamaster 2531.80 in about 1999.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Tag F1 in 2008 was my first proper watch.
    At the time I had zero interest in watches but when I saw it in Beaverbrooks I had to have it.
    As other people have said, besides Rolex it was the one name I recognised.
    After that in 2012 I got an Airking then later on a Tag 2000 Professional, Aquracer, SMP, BB58 and finally a Bremont Supermarine

I had a Carrera, and I really liked it. After I bought a couple of Eddie's before picking up an Aqua Terra 8500. I subsequently chopped the lot in (apart from my rare Seiko SBCM023) and picked up a Grand Seiko. It stayed like that for 2 years until Eddie released the Baby Dreadnought. Now I'm back to 3 watches.

Craftsman
    Never really bothered with TAG to be honest, I did like a few of their pieces but never pulled the trigger, I went straight for the Omega Seamaster 300m Co-Axil 2220.80 from new.....purchased back in 2006 before it was discontinued, I still have the watch, box & papers and it's works fantastically.

After my first Tag? I understood why no love for Tag:-)

Master
    Bought my first Tag last year, never liked them, never liked Natos, but i bought this.
    First tag from 300 watches.

Craftsman
    Lucky enough to receive a white dial 1887 chronograph as a wedding gift from my wife in 2011, wore it daily until 2018 when I picked up a BB58, the Tag has barely been worn since.

Craftsman
    14060M.

I'd a TAG Heuer quartz that I wore for donkey's years, but when it came to purchasing my first mechanical watch I went with a Rolex. I figured it was worth saving longer for something that was beyond my initial budget as I knew I'd always have that 'why didn't I just do it' regret hanging over me if I hadn't gone with the 14060M.

The Tag is still in rotation, so hasn't gone anywhere!

Tag Heuer Classic 2000 > Omega Speedmaster Pro > Rolex Submariner 14060 > Rolex Submariner 14060m > Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39

Journeyman
    This has made me look back at the first watch I bought myself, fairly sure it was a TAG 2000 Diver series 2 black dial. Lasted a couple of years, sold to a friend and bought a Sub - 16610, pretty much my only watch for over 20 years.

Journeyman
    i'm finding this really fascinating. I don't know much about watches, so vey interested to see the direction people have gone in. Seamaster seems popular, and I like the look of the non-chrono version.

5 Years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Started with a Tag 1500 ,then a date just followed by a seamaster then non date sub.The sickness really took hold then.

After your first tag

Hamilton, Omega, Hamilton then Hamilton! I like Hamilton’s!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Seiko Sarb033 when the Carrera went for a service, then a Speedmaster FOIS.

A few questionable pickups since then. On the hunt for a 2254.50 seamaster now.

I first purchased a Tag Heuer F1 Grande Date back in early 2008, Carrera (Lewis Hamilton version) after then then a Sub date. I recently did buy a Tag Heuer 01

I have no issues with the brand I actually like it alot.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Bought my first Tag last year, never liked them, never liked Natos, but i bought this.
    First tag from 300 watches.
    That is beautiful and imo, the best version of an F1 yet

Craftsman
    My first proper watch was a Tag F1 my dad bought me for my 18th. Thereafter, I bought a Tudor Black Bay....a one off at a jewellers in Glasgow prior to them being released in the UK.

Craftsman
    I went from a Tag Carrera to a Sinn U1. Two very different watches!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a Rolex 114060. Decided that some character was needed...... got a Tag Monaco Calibre 11. Bye bye Rolex. Got a DSSD .... lasted 3 months...... liked it more than the 114060 but have now sold it and purchased a lovely Speedy MK2 vintage racing dial. I now have the Monaco and Speedmaster MK2 and Tudor Bronze. I’ve bought others in between from Straton and Seiko, Zelos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I did once own a Tag...always wanted a Tag since I was young...along with a datejust funnily enough. But Tag was first as it was more affordable.

I wasn't impressed with the Tag personally. I did buy entry level c. £1000 worth so that could be why...my previous watch purchases were smaller microbrands and having experienced those I felt Tag was lower quality.

After that I went to Rolex. And have stayed there for now. Who knows what will happen in future. Hopefully I will retire from the watch addiction, have a collection of 2 or 3 and be happy!

First watch was a Pulsar (1974)
    Then a Omega Cosmic 2000 (1978). Which I still have
    Then a Rolex 16750 GMT (1983), traded for a 16800 around 1996 (which I still have)
    Then bought another 16750 in 1997 (which I still have).

And then the madness really began.

Never saw a TAG I really wanted except the V4, but the price was just silly.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

This shot answers the OP's question. The TAG went to my best friend and he's still wearing it to this day, twelve years later and twenty two years since it was bought.

I had two Tags, an F1, then a 4000 series before my wife got me a Seamster Bond. Wore the Bond daily for years and still own it, but rarely wear it.

Craftsman
    First proper watch was a tag 2000 series, followed by a breitling navitimer world. Still have love for some of the Carreras !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Hi

My first TAG was a Carrera Chronograph in 2008. Since I’ve had 2 Monacos, and still have this

Regards
    Chris

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    This shot answers the OP's question. The TAG went to my best friend and he's still wearing it to this day, twelve years later and twenty two years since it was bought.

that 2000 is one of the best models I've seen and certainly a lot better than mine.
    Last edited by RD200; 27th September 2020 at 10:18.

First dip into more expensive brands was a Tag 2000 back in 1990, which if I remember rightly was about £250 new. Next significant purchase was an Omega Seamaster. Both long gone, as have many others.

However, returned to the Tag fold with a white dialled Aquaracer, very much the 2000 dna. Great every/any day wearer. Dresses up and down. Love it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Breum69 View Post
    Hi

My first TAG was a Carrera Chronograph in 2008. Since I’ve had 2 Monacos, and still have this

Regards
    Chris

Nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    that 2000 is one of the best models I've seen and certainly a lot better than mine.
    Thank you. I think for the sake of accuracy it was a 1500 from 1998. I'd been "delayered" from the Civil Service and had a huge pay off-sitting in my pocket. I was going to buy a Sub but couldn't quite pluck up the courage, given I had no job at the time and was planning on leaving London to return to Edinburgh. So I plumped for the TAG which I think was about £600. The Sub then was around £2K. Oh for the gift of hindsight, or is it foresight? Any sort of sight I suppose!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thank you. I think for the sake of accuracy it was a 1500 from 1998. I'd been "delayered" from the Civil Service and had a huge pay off-sitting in my pocket. I was going to buy a Sub but couldn't quite pluck up the courage, given I had no job at the time and was planning on leaving London to return to Edinburgh. So I plumped for the TAG which I think was about £600. The Sub then was around £2K. Oh for the gift of hindsight, or is it foresight? Any sort of sight I suppose!
    Hahaha hindsight is wonderful.
    I got a tax rebate a couple of months ago and that turned into a watch too.

Craftsman
    Still got my first Tag from 1990 , followed this by x 4 other Tags including Kirium and Monza all of which I sold.

The first purchase after Tag was an Omega PO (15 years ago) which is still one of my favourite watches and gets regular wear including today. Just put the original rubber strap back on.

a Nomos Tangente, hugely disappointed, then a Tudor BB S&G, plus a few odds and sods along the way, Tissot TdF chrono for instace.

TAG Heuer (definitely a Heuer as the model predates the TAG buyout) 1000M Professional was my first "proper" watch, followed many years later by a Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chrono.

I went to a Longines Quartz Chrono...then I found this place...

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Looks like a 1500 Series WD1210-g20 to me.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    TAG Heuer (definitely a Heuer as the model predates the TAG buyout) 1000M Professional was my first "proper" watch, followed many years later by a Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chrono.

I love those 1000m Super Professionals. It's a really cool design which I actually think holds up pretty well.

Craftsman
    Had this tag & gave it back after 6 months , lesson learnt & won’t have another