closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger LeCoultre

Craftsman

Jaeger LeCoultre

Calling on the expert vintage military guys out there for some help

My girlfriends dad only recently found out I was interested in watches so during chatting last week he said he had a military watch from his late father in law at home that had apparently been stuck in a drawer for the last 42 years and surfaced during some house moving a few years ago. He had taken it to relative who had a hobby of tinkering with watches who then proceeded to clean it up and service it 2 years ago. The hands have been replaced (originals saved) and it doesn't have the original strap either

The history as he knows: His father in law bought it after the war as military surplus in 1945

I took some photos today which I have attached so any help would be appreciated in trying to find out a little more about this watch. I measured it at 30mm across the dial (32mm including the crown), it also has a number inscribed on the caseback (can't make it out in the picture - 63866)

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not military issued. From the NAAFI maybe, or a civilian watch in a vaguely military style, but I think the story of this watch has been romanticised along the way, sorry.

My guess is that even the separate hands that you photographed were not the original ones. I think it’s likely that they were originally lumed to match the luminous numerals, and perhaps had that lovely lozenge style common to JLeC’s of the time. The movement might be a 469 - do you have any pictures?

It’s a nice little thing; for me the hands would make all the difference. Thanks for posting it.

Craftsman
    Nothing romanticised. I just assumed it was a military watch. Apparently it was purchased after the war so probably a naafi purchase

Is a case back easy to remove if so I could take some pictures

The case back should not be hard to remove but only worth doing if you take it easy and feel confident. Also, I’m not sure if you know that the lume will have radium in it and the dust from that can get into the movement so just be sensible.

If you want to find out more about the military connection (NAAFI purchase etc.) you could try heading over to mwrforum.net.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The case back should not be hard to remove but only worth doing if you take it easy and feel confident. Also, I’m not sure if you know that the lume will have radium in it and the dust from that can get into the movement so just be sensible.

If you want to find out more about the military connection (NAAFI purchase etc.) you could try heading over to mwrforum.net.
    Many thanks for your advice, I wouldn't be competent enough to attempt that for sure, will also check out the mwr forum