closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycle 2 Work scheme limited suppliers & availability of ebikes

Cycle 2 Work scheme limited suppliers & availability of ebikes

My current bikes, neither expensive, have served me well for nigh on 15 years. My MTB is a low-end Halfords Carerra and my road bike was upgraded a few years ago to a basic Boardman.

Nothing flashy. Nothing expensive. I off-road 1-2 times a month and I road-ride maybe 100 miles a month.

My workplace use Cycle 2 Work as their supplier and we have good discounts and tax relief for using them; most importantly in the last few weeks, they’ve upped the allowance from £1000 to £3000 to purchase a bike.

I’ve decided on a hybrid e-bike (I’m getting old and achy), with front shocks, so that I can continue light off-road work and use it on-road. I’m hoping to commute to work in reasonable weather, which is 20 miles each way.

The scheme only allows Halfords or Tredz to purchase from. I do not like any of the Halfords offerings and whereas Tredz list some lovely bikes, there has been zero availability for the last 6 weeks of looking.

I appreciate there’s a high demand at the moment but I literally can’t pay them quick enough if they were to get some bikes in! Has anyone else found the same?

Master
    Halfords used to be able to source bikes that they don't normally sell, might be worth contacting them to see if they still can.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Halfords used to be able to source bikes that they don't normally sell, might be worth contacting them to see if they still can.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
    I did not know this! I’ll pop and speak to them tomorrow to see if this is an option.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of bikes out there. Try to buy one with the engine in the bracket or rear wheel. Not the front wheel. It makes the bike understeered. Furthermore: a separate battery module is preferable over an integrated battery. When things fail (Not the battery, but the housing and contacts) it's easier to replace the separate module. Granted, it doesn't look as sophisticated.

Cannondale has a nice line e-bikes (Neo line) and so does Specialized (Turbo line). Personally I'm very happy with my Dutch brand Koga, but it has no front or rear shocks.

M

Tredz are good and even say when the bikes will be in stock. What are you looking at? The Specialized Vado SL is meant to be good. I would call Tredz and see if you can forward order.

I have yet to pick up the phone to Tredz, maybe that’s a good option. Stock seems to fluctuate daily.

Specialized bikes are over budget. I can only spend up to 3k and am unable to top-up over that.

I had my eye on the Cube Reaction Hybrid.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Reacti...93.htm?image=2

It was under 3k last week!

*edit, I just looked up Specialized, they have some in budget, no stock.
    Last edited by RickChard; 20th September 2020 at 21:19.

Master
    I've been looking at bikes and whilst it's been a long time since a had my previous bike, a late-nineties Cannondale MTB with head-shok, my employer also offers the Cycle 2 Work voucher scheme via Halfords/Tredz/Wheelies but up to £2,500. I thought that that amount would be get me something pretty amazing but I've been more than a little surprised at how much bikes cost nowadays and no doubt inflated by this scheme and more recently COVID-19.

I also would like a hybrid ebike of some sort and Halfords/Tredz/Wheelies didn't seem to have anything that I fancied but looking at other bike retailers it became clear that many will accept these vouchers as well. The only stipulation being is that you're unlikely to get a discount of any sort due to Halfords charging a commission to the retailer who redeems the voucher so they understandably charge full price on these voucher sales. Although this might be moot point anyway given that bikes seem to be selling without discounting required for now at least. Which models are you interested in?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tredz are good and even say when the bikes will be in stock. What are you looking at? The Specialized Vado SL is meant to be good. I would call Tredz and see if you can forward order.
    That was the one that I was interested as when it was launched, very recently, the cheaper of the two models was £2,499 which I could of got but it went up £100 in a mater of a few weeks and, as per the OP's situation, you can't top-up the voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    That was the one that I was interested as when it was launched, very recently, the cheaper of the two models was £2,499 which I could of got but it went up £100 in a mater of a few weeks and, as per the OP's situation, you can't top-up the voucher.
    Speak to customer services. When I was hunting a Diverge I was offered all sorts of invoice creativity. They might be able to discount the £100 if you spend on accessories or something.

Master
    A little known fact, the cycle 2 work scheme vouchers administered by Halfords (who also own Tredz I believe) are also accepted at most independent bike shops...

Go to their site and you can search by postcode. Not on my laptop or would send you the link.

They were also accepted at Specialized stores for example until recently...I called Specialized a month ago who told me they usually accept them. Using the usual Halfords C2W LOC, but since covid they don't as they don't need to!

Halfords obviously charge a fee hence specialized not taking them at the moment...other independents still do and I have spoken to a few recently near me who confirmed they will take them.

The plot thickens. Based on what people have said, that maybe I’m not as restricted as first thought...

I’ve popped onto the website of my local, small independent. It seems they take the vouchers too, and have some stock.

Cannondale Trail NEO S 2 (2021) looks like a nice option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I've been looking at bikes and whilst it's been a long time since a had my previous bike, a late-nineties Cannondale MTB with head-shok, my employer also offers the Cycle 2 Work voucher scheme via Halfords/Tredz/Wheelies but up to £2,500. I thought that that amount would be get me something pretty amazing but I've been more than a little surprised at how much bikes cost nowadays and no doubt inflated by this scheme and more recently COVID-19.

I also would like a hybrid ebike of some sort and Halfords/Tredz/Wheelies didn't seem to have anything that I fancied but looking at other bike retailers it became clear that many will accept these vouchers as well. The only stipulation being is that you're unlikely to get a discount of any sort due to Halfords charging a commission to the retailer who redeems the voucher so they understandably charge full price on these voucher sales. Although this might be moot point anyway given that bikes seem to be selling without discounting required for now at least. Which models are you interested in?

We have a more or less similar scheme here as well. And we have it for more than 25 yrs. Guess what: bike prices tend to rise with the hight of the euros on the voucher...

A few more notes when buying the bike:
    • buy the biggest 'engine' that's available. When buying a smaller, you'll regret it when going uphill.
    • the suggested max range is always more than you'll get from the battery. Hills, wind, your weight; all are thrown in the mix. In my experience, you'll end up with a real life range of 70 - 80% of the suggested max range.
    • the saddle that's on the bike is not always what you want. I switched mine for a (German made) Terry saddle. You have to sit on a pressure plate that converts your bum into something digital(...). Then a number is displayed and the seller will pick a specific Terry from the shelf that suits your bum. Now, 3000 km since last May, I'm 100% happy with that saddle. In my case it the saddle came FoC with the bike. Recommend and worth looking for a Terry dealer.

Enjoy the trips!
    Menno

Craftsman
    Hi, I bought a Cannonade Tresoro Neo x2 earlier this year (great bike BTW) from Cycles UK , a chain of shops and I believe they were accepting the Cycle2work vouchers, might be worth checking them out.Cheers, John B4

Also this is the time of year when the 2021 bikes start to filter through. Usually there would be old (2020) stock that they'd be looking to shift but with the massive demand this year I'd guess there's very few of those around hence the lack of supply.

Definitely worth having a word with Tredz (or your lbs) and see when they're expecting the new ranges in.

The vouchers have no time limit on them (at least my Cyclescheme one did not).

Just get the voucher and spend it when stock arrives. I found customer service on Tredz to be excellent, so give them a call and I’m sure they’ll work something out for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We have a more or less similar scheme here as well. And we have it for more than 25 yrs. Guess what: bike prices tend to rise with the hight of the euros on the voucher...

A few more notes when buying the bike:
    • buy the biggest 'engine' that's available. When buying a smaller, you'll regret it when going uphill.
    • the suggested max range is always more than you'll get from the battery. Hills, wind, your weight; all are thrown in the mix. In my experience, you'll end up with a real life range of 70 - 80% of the suggested max range.
    • the saddle that's on the bike is not always what you want. I switched mine for a (German made) Terry saddle. You have to sit on a pressure plate that converts your bum into something digital(...). Then a number is displayed and the seller will pick a specific Terry from the shelf that suits your bum. Now, 3000 km since last May, I'm 100% happy with that saddle. In my case it the saddle came FoC with the bike. Recommend and worth looking for a Terry dealer.

Enjoy the trips!
    Menno
    Thanks for that and it was your comments on another thread about rear/mid "engined" ebikes being better than front which has put me off the Van Moof S3 even though it's the right price at £1,799. That and I'm probably too old and too short in the leg for one!

Master
    Whatever you get, I'd go for a manufacturer that has a service centre local (ish) to you as e-bikes are still in their relative infancy and faults are not uncommon. For example, reading the Van Moof reviews on Trust Pilot, there is no way I'd entertain one unless I lived in London where their only UK store is located. The big manufactures (Cube, Spesh, etc) may not be perfect but most people will live not too far from a store where they can be dropped in for warranty work. Not such a big issue with regular bikes most DIY'ers can have a stab at repairs but motor, battery, software etc issues on e-bikes generally mean a trip to a service centre.
    Last edited by benny.c; 21st September 2020 at 14:23.

Master
    You might find most places are out of stock as the 2021 bikes are coming into stock soon and they need to clear as much 2020 units as possible before restocking.