closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Strap Changing Advice

Craftsman

Rolex Strap Changing Advice

Hi All,

I recently bought a Rolex GMT Master 2 and the oyster bracelet is a little too bling for me. I’ve bought Rubber B strap to replace the bracelet and I’m deliberating whether to find an AD to make the change or whether to do this myself.

I’m fairly comfortable with taping the lugs and taking it slowly and carefully but the lug holes seem particularly small. I’m thinking about buying a set of tweezers (Bergeon 7825) but wondered whether there is anything better out there to use or whether I should just wait until I can make it to an AD.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

An AD might not do it for you as they'll say it's a modification. I have the tweezer Bergeons and they work well but you have to grit your teeth while buying. Got mine from H Walsh & Son, good service.

Master
    When I had a GMT the AD took it off the bracelet for me and I put it on a nato. Did it free of charge too. I personally am not sure I would want to do the job myself.

Master
    I also have the burgeon tool, which is great and easy to remove the bracelet. Putting it back on is a bit more tricky (for me anyway)!

However, I asked the dealer who I bought the rubber strap from to fit it. That task is not easy as the fit is quite tight against the lugs. Then this chap did it he did leave some minor marks on the underside of the lugs. It was literally a brand new GMT so I did raise it and he said there is no other way to do it as the spring bar needs to rest on the lug on one side! Anyway...if you are in doubt, get someone to do it...who knows what they are doing.

Craftsman
    I know there’s probably no right answer here. On the one hand I think an AD is they way forward since they have the correct tools, but on the other hand I could equally find that it’s done by someone who doesn’t take a great deal of care as you mentioned Boss13. I took my Speedmaster to a boutique last year and winced as I watched the speed with which she removed the bracelet.

Thanks Wileeeeeeey, yep they’re not cheap, but might be worth the investment. In terms of the “modification”, given some of the things I read on here about ADs, this wouldn’t surprise me......

Journeyman
    Get this from aliexpress.. Works like a charm for me..

https://youtu.be/L1sLUAac4Jw

Blog Entries
    The front desk girls at St James are excellent at removing a bracelet on the spot. Not sure about putting on a rubber though - you can only ask. Also not sure if St James is back open again just yet?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Incursore View Post
    Get this from aliexpress.. Works like a charm for me..

https://youtu.be/L1sLUAac4Jw
    This video scared me ! No tape to protect the lugs and not a steady hand....need to sit down in a dark room for a while now !!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The front desk girls at St James are excellent at removing a bracelet on the spot. Not sure about putting on a rubber though - you can only ask. Also not sure if St James is back open again just yet?
    Still closed to the public, I was told when I called Rolex last week. October re-opening apparently. I’ve heard some chat on this forum about still being allowed in but I have no idea how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’d settle for the bracelet being removed !

To be honest the watch has some marks already if viewed under direct artificial light and it’s intended to be worn and passed on to my son many years from now (he’s only 6). I just need to overcome my tendency to want to keep it in a pristine condition. It’s going to have small hands playing with the bezel for some time to come...

Amazon has some options but I keep reading horror stories of the ends breaking, but you never have to dig very deep for bad news on the internet.