closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no love for TAG?

Journeyman

Why no love for TAG?

I keep seeing people mention no love for TAG on here. Why is that? Was very much an aspirational watch for me as a teenager. Mine has been heavily used for 20 yrs now and has not let me down (sea, sand, diving, knocks and drops). Keeps time well. So what’s the beef?

This just about wraps it.

Here's the current TAG Heuer situation
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Ossi42dm0

Brands go in and out of fashion all the time.

Craftsman
    Gulf Monaco on my wrist as I type. Looked at other Tag models but if I am honest there was only going to be one winner from their range. Just stands out as something different.

I really like my 15 year old Tag Aquaracer (WAB 2010) despite what my username says.

I’m about to be reunited with an Aquagraph so there’s definitely no hate from here .

No hate at all. Just not very interesting, mostly live on the Heuer heritage, delusion of grandeur with “in house” Seiko calibre, etc.

I believe you nailed it in your OP, when you said it was an aspirational brand when you were a teenager.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Aquaracer 41mm automatic is one of my favorite chronos.

I had a Carrera Cal 16 CV21AR and loved it. I don't even know why I sold it but I will buy one again at some point.

I agree they make some ugly watches but at the same time I also think they make some stunners.

What I would say is they are pretty much over priced but then again what isn't.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

They have a few nice models, just never seriously considered any of them. Then again there are so many brands out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They were my intro to swiss watches. I think my one cost £300 or so. I love the blue monaco that I have now and even the new bronze model is quite tempting.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    They were my intro to swiss watches. I think my one cost £300 or so. I love the blue monaco that I have now and even the new bronze model is quite tempting.
    Tag was the first luxury swiss watch brand I ever noticed as a kid.Their name was on the timers for formula 1 races and a big brand name in most jewellers on the Canary Islands .
    No coincidence that Tag formula 1 watch was my first Swiss watch purchase.I still have it 16 years later , a few battery changes and working well.
    Recently bought an AquaRacer GMT at a very good price and love it .

Craftsman
    Interesting...

...They were definitely a watch brand I wanted to own when I was in my teens.

I had an intense desire to own a TAG Heuer Formula 1.

Now I'm knocking on 50's door and for me, TAG just doesn't have the same allure it once did.

Master
    I’ve had a few TAGs over the years, including a couple of (TAG)McQueen Monaco’s, but the only one now is Heuer branded Monaco - the first LE, black chrono. The TAG that I most regret selling is the Super Professional diver. I only sold it because the bracelet was too short and I couldn’t get spare links anywhere.

Master
    Like many of the older members here TAG was an aspirational brand in my youth. My first "posh" watch was an original F1 in 1997, and I also had a "link" after that. Or was it an 'SEL"? Can't quite recall but I did like it at the time. Still have the original F1 and it runs well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think at the time I first noticed them (as TAG Heuer) - they were producing mostly blingy watches with the most god-awful bracelets. Their seemingly trade-mark bracelet links looked naff.

Never really seen one I liked.

My first "proper" watch was a used Tag link, a present from my partner when I started a new job where my battered Timex Ironman just looked scruffy. I love it, but my taste has changed now and I don't think I'd buy it today.

there's a lad in the office with an aquaracer, suits him down to the ground, and I think some of their ladies watches are brilliant, but I don't really buy into the brand myself.

I asked the same question when I joined the forum about four years ago, got slated by a troll or two for asking ‘that question’ but made no difference to my opinion. Four years later I realise there are positives and negatives to every brand, I personally love my F1 and as for you it was an aspirational brand in my youth, there is room for everyone. Gratuitous pic...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They are an odd brand with some iconic pieces and some tat but they are trying to go upmarket. I don't like most of their watches however bought this 2 weeks ago and I've never (to my eyes) seen a nicer chrono (at the Sub £10k mark of course - I'm not saying it is nicer than an ALS Datograph!) and it has a great movement. Not cheap mind.

^^ Love that one. Was about to say, I like their Heuer classic models but none of the generic modern stuff they pump out.

I've owned these two before...an El-Primero Monza and a Carrera. I miss the Carrera, one I'd have again...

Last edited by Christian; 20th September 2020 at 17:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    I keep seeing people mention no love for TAG on here. Why is that? Was very much an aspirational watch for me as a teenager. Mine has been heavily used for 20 yrs now and has not let me down (sea, sand, diving, knocks and drops). Keeps time well. So what’s the beef?
    Yeah - but 20+ years ago, they were the aspirational watch for many - especially the young. They were Swiss, tough, reasonable looking - more expensive than the average watch but affordable for the average man in the street if they wanted to push the boat out. 20+ years on, they are still making what appears to be the more or less the same watches at vastly increased prices. They now charge Omega level prices for what is a decent but fundamentally ordinary watch.

And of course, there are lots of people who don't like Quartz and whilst Heuer had a good reputation, people were always snobbish about the TAG people - its all rather nouveau-riche....

Why no love for TAG?

Bought mine on a trip to Houston in 2007. It was already second hand and can't have cost me more than a few hundred quid at the time. It's been with me as I've travelled the world and swam in many seas and oceans, so I have a real soft spot for it.

I think it also looks good as black and tan with a Di Modell jumbo strap. I also have a subC, but the Tag sees most wrist time.

I’ve had loads since my first Quartz 4000 in about 1990 including a couple of Monza calibre 36s, a solid gold Monza, many Links including both Calibre 36s and a few Carreras.

I don’t currently have any but would have a white dial Heuer reissue Carrera in a heartbeat if I could find one at the right price

I have this. Bought from eBay for a couple of hundred. It is immaculate and looks like it was hardly worn. Being quartz it's quite a thin case so is very easy to wear and is quite different from other watches in the collection.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I think the problem is that all of the iconic references were created before the TAG and later LVMH era. 35 years is a long time for a brand to come up with virtually nothing new except recreations of the iconic 'Heuer' models. Not even the 'Super Professional' was created during the TAG era

Master

Why no love for TAG?

I love my Monaco. It’s got far more character than my other watches. Yeah it’s quirky but nothing wrong with that is there? Having had Stainless Rolex models I can safely say that I think that the Monaco is far cooler. My Rolex stainless have all gone now. The rest of the tag range is a little dull I think . But there you go. It’s the same as most brands I think as they all seem to have the star of the show watches.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 20th September 2020 at 19:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I have this. Bought from eBay for a couple of hundred. It is immaculate and looks like it was hardly worn. Being quartz it's quite a thin case so is very easy to wear and is quite different from other watches in the collection.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    That’s nice. Good condition too:)

Craftsman
    No hate from me.

To be honest, I'm not sure how one can "hate" a watch manufacturer.

Dislike, yes. Ambivalent, yes. But hate? Not for me.

I have one - white faced 2000 diver - quartz, thin and accurate. Wears well on the bracelet, rubber or leather.

Wore it on my wedding day 20 years ago. Love it.

Why no love for TAG?

My first ‘proper’ watch was a Tag 2000 Classic Auto, blue dial. I still remember the excitement the day I got it.

I sold it but I bought the same model a number of years ago. Typically and being a flipper, I then sold that on here and regret doing so. Would happily own it again.

It was a WK2117 incase anyone has one .

Craftsman
    Plenty of non watch guys like Tag. The no love for Tag thing seems to exist more amongst the WIS community than regular folk.

I don’t have anything against them, but equally they don’t produce anything I’d buy, apart from the connected range.

Their phones looked very nicely made and I still have two pairs of their sunglasses.

I suspect many watch nerds sneer at them for their high street ubiquity, heavy marketing, and being the watch that people who don’t really like watches tend to buy (a bit like Rolex). Plus some lament the TAG influence. The ‘in-house’ Seiko movement incident probably didn’t help.

My only issue with them is they are a bit overpriced and I don’t especially like some of the design choices they’ve made in recent years (Biver’s influence, no doubt). But I could say the same for most brands.

So, I don’t have any dislike for TAG Heuer at all. Some I like, some I don’t - a bit like anything, really.

I (briefly) owned an Aquaracer, and this year I bought an early 2000’s Aquaracer Chronograph, which has proven a really solid, accurate, useful tool watch with more compact dimensions than many Valjoux 7750 watches. I really like it.

I’ve always admired the Series 2000 watches in a nostalgic way.

In fact, I’d quite like to pick-up a Kirium at some point - very much a small, dated, marmite model, but I quite like the oddball ‘of it’s time’ aesthetic, it’s very different.

I had and sold a Tag Monaco CW2111 years ago and still regret selling it, was a lovely watch ,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    They are an odd brand with some iconic pieces and some tat but they are trying to go upmarket. I don't like most of their watches however bought this 2 weeks ago and I've never (to my eyes) seen a nicer chrono (at the Sub £10k mark of course - I'm not saying it is nicer than an ALS Datograph!) and it has a great movement. Not cheap mind.

This is a great looking watch. Bit too expensive for me, but if they every get discounted I would be interested. I also like the look of the black monza, looks cool

Craftsman
    Always lusted after a Tag from my younger years and a Carrera cal 16 day date was my first nice watch which I purchased over 10 years ago.
    With the knowledge I've gained over the past 10 years as a WIS would I spend the money on another one, probably not but would I get get shut of it no way and to be fair it's a great watch.
    Last edited by Gee252; 20th September 2020 at 20:56.

Craftsman
    I like their recent releases such as the Carrera Chronograph. The blue is something. Shame it’s a 44mm but I won’t rule it out until I go to an AD

Apprentice
    I have a boggo black dial 39mm carrera. It’s basic but I love it.

I think it’s something that, as mentioned, is a niche within certain factions of the WIS world. Certainly the bloke on the street doesn’t have it; TAG Heuer is probably the second most recognisable ‘luxury’ watch brand in the UK behind Rolex.

I had an F1 a few years back and it was a cracking watch. I sold it as it was a 43mm and I decided it was a bit on the big side for me. Earlier this year I picked up the current model AquaRacer in 41mm, gun metal grey dial and it’s an excellent, rock solid dive watch. It wears nice and slim, is tough as nails, keeps perfect time. They’ve also really upped their bracelet game - it’s so supple and comfy. Cool dual colour lume too.

Journeyman
    I still have this SEL, my first "luxury" watch:

It was a "his and hers" pair gifted to me and the Mrs by my mother in the early '90s.

I had a heart-breakingly beautiful vintage small shield Heuer Ref.12 Valjoux 7734.

I do miss it a bit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Always lusted after a Tag from my younger years and a Carrera cal 16 day date was my first nice watch which I purchased over 10 years ago.
    With the knowledge I've gained over the past 10 years as a WIS would I spend the money on another one, probably not but would I get get shut of it no way and to be fair it's a great watch.
    A good condition Carrera is still on my list ,a beautiful watch

I had an unfortunate experience with Tag's customer services years ago. It was a 'Special Edition' that they refused to touch. I won't buy another.

Master
    I think many form a view on their lower end watches which have been a bit brash and garish at times, appealing to what's perceived as an 'unsophisticated demographic'.

I have a few Carrera models, all bought used thankfully. The depreciation is brutal. However, as a used purchase they tend to offer superb value.

For many I suspect the stigma of their lower end can't be overlooked. Seiko suffer a bit from this image issue in their own way.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I suspect many watch nerds sneer at them for their high street ubiquity, heavy marketing, and being the watch that people who don’t really like watches tend to buy (a bit like Rolex). Plus some lament the TAG influence. The ‘in-house’ Seiko movement incident probably didn’t help.
    I was thinking simular. I always imagine the only way is Essex types wearing them ( vein showoffs who wear make-up, tanning / hair products, designer jeans, white teeth and a TAG Aquaracer )

While I think the comment above is harsh, Tag are a brand that I’ve never been drawn to. A lot of their earlier stuff is dreadfully ugly (and I do agree with comments about those godawful bracelets), and the fact that they often seem to be a teenage gateway into slightly better watch brands seems to do them no favours.

Having said that, I think the Carreras are handsome watches and the Monaco stands out (although it’s not for me).

So no, I don’t hate Tag, but I’ve never liked anything of theirs enough to buy one.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    While I think the comment above is harsh, Tag are a brand that I’ve never been drawn to. A lot of their earlier stuff is dreadfully ugly (and I do agree with comments about those godawful bracelets), and the fact that they often seem to be a teenage gateway into slightly better watch brands seems to do them no favours.

Having said that, I think the Carreras are handsome watches and the Monaco stands out (although it’s not for me).

So no, I don’t hate Tag, but I’ve never liked anything of theirs enough to buy one.

Simon
    Heuer is a very respected brand. Those models you mention date from their era. The better looking watches TAG has produced are faithful reproduction of the heritage it bought.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I suspect many watch nerds sneer at them for their high street ubiquity, heavy marketing, and being the watch that people who don’t really like watches tend to buy (a bit like Rolex). Plus some lament the TAG influence..
    I think this comment hits the nail on the head . Tag Heuer had the heritage through Heuer to be able to stay in the high quality lane but instead seemed to get caught up in the 80s & 90s yuppie branding and getting their product in every shopping “Mall” possible .

Breitling could also be accused of this though when it comes to their bling designs and too much writing on the dials .The newer Breitlings are much cleaner and reasonably sized

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    I think this comment hits the nail on the head . Tag Heuer had the heritage through Heuer to be able to stay in the high quality lane but instead seemed to get caught up in the 80s & 90s yuppie branding and getting their product in every shopping “Mall” possible .
    Yes, but to an extent they now seem to be trying to have their cake and eating it by trying to get back in the high quality lane - price wise at least. They were remarkably successful in the 80s & 90s selling an awful lot of of watches and having a lot of brand appeal to the ordinary public. But now they seem to have abandoned that and are trying to become a highly regarded niche brand again - not an easy transition! Now too expensive for ordinary Joes who just want a nice watch and looked down on by brand snobs for selling their soul to the masses in the 80s! Personally, its hard to see why you should pay £1000-£2000 or more for a decent looking TAG quartz when you can buy something as good - and probably higher tech - from Citizen or Seiko at a quarter of the cost.

An untrue cliché, plenty of people do love TAG.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Yes, but to an extent they now seem to be trying to have their cake and eating it by trying to get back in the high quality lane - price wise at least. They were remarkably successful in the 80s & 90s selling an awful lot of of watches and having a lot of brand appeal to the ordinary public. But now they seem to have abandoned that and are trying to become a highly regarded niche brand again - not an easy transition! Now too expensive for ordinary Joes who just want a nice watch and looked down on by brand snobs for selling their soul to the masses in the 80s! Personally, its hard to see why you should pay £1000-£2000 or more for a decent looking TAG quartz when you can buy something as good - and probably higher tech - from Citizen or Seiko at a quarter of the cost.
    Who would buy new? With massive depreciation they make a good second hand buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    I keep seeing people mention no love for TAG on here. Why is that? Was very much an aspirational watch for me as a teenager.
    I think you’ve summed it up here perfectly with the teenage desire. There are very few things I want as an adult, that I did in my youth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Who would buy new? With massive depreciation they make a good second hand buy.
    True - but I suspect that its mostly WIS types that buy second hand, rather than members of the general public. Of course, this doesn't apply to certain prestige brands, especially those starting with 'R' !