closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no love for TAG?

Master
    I do like Heuer...

Journeyman
    I think Ryan’s Carrera below is stunning. Overall though I do find Tag overall a bit less exciting for the money than many other brands, as well as a little oversized for my taste. I got mine (pictured) as a gift from my parents when I was first getting into watches at school. Back then Tag was all the rage - the two brands most people seemed to know were Rolex and Tag. And Tag did have some great watches, if memory serves. With that said, I have never had a particular hankering to buy another (until I saw the Carrera below anyway!).

Still, I have to admit the watch has been brilliant. I find it handsome, it isn’t oversized as many of their watches have been of latter years, and it has worn like iron in the 20 years I’ve had it as my daily beater through countless swims, bouts of travel, beach holidays, etc. It’s a great watch, and if mine is anything to go by, the build quality must be pretty decent.

C89A3AC5-2C30-48FF-A33D-FF76136F5B08 by J D, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    They are an odd brand with some iconic pieces and some tat but they are trying to go upmarket. I don't like most of their watches however bought this 2 weeks ago and I've never (to my eyes) seen a nicer chrono (at the Sub £10k mark of course - I'm not saying it is nicer than an ALS Datograph!) and it has a great movement. Not cheap mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ugly. Poorly made. Unappealing. Overrated junk.

Hold on a minute.......I lied. One of the best looking watches I've owned over 35+ years of collecting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I love my Monaco. It’s got far more character than my other watches. Yeah it’s quirky but nothing wrong with that is there? Having had Stainless Rolex models I can safely say that I think that the Monaco is far cooler. My Rolex stainless have all gone now. The rest of the tag range is a little dull I think . But there you go. It’s the same as most brands I think as they all seem to have the star of the show watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I totally agree and can relate to this. Always loved the Monaco even before I was into watches. Calibre 11 Monaco on my wrist most days at the moment.

For me they just make too many watches in too many styles to have a coherent brand message.

If they divorced the heritage watches and branded them all heuer, then took around 50% of the watches out of the tag heuer collection they’d be doing themselves a favour. They seem to be suffering the omega issue but at a very slightly lower end of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    For me they just make too many watches in too many styles to have a coherent brand message.

If they divorced the heritage watches and branded them all heuer, then took around 50% of the watches out of the tag heuer collection they’d be doing themselves a favour. They seem to be suffering the omega issue but at a very slightly lower end of the market.

I can't agree more.

They do a lot wrong but do some things right.

Master

Why no love for TAG?

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I was thinking simular. I always imagine the only way is Essex types wearing them ( vein showoffs who wear make-up, tanning / hair products, designer jeans, white teeth and a TAG Aquaracer )
    No , they all wear Rolex ... bling bling , look at me me me me me me me me :)
    The only way is Essex -
    Arg and Mark Wright going shopping for a Rolex Sub....

Check this out..
    https://youtu.be/28lF32sbg7A

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 22nd September 2020 at 16:18.

TAG is, to steal a usefully succinct term from Archie Luxury, a dogsh*t brand. But I give them a little respect for sticking with a few quartz offerings when all the others have abandoned them.

Master

Why no love for TAG?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    TAG is, to steal a usefully succinct term from Archie Luxury, a dogsh*t brand. But I give them a little respect for sticking with a few quartz offerings when all the others have abandoned them.
    Wow , you had to steal that... you must be a bright lad looking up to and admiring that foul mouthed blob:)
    Even that blob of a potty mouth loves a Monaco!!

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 22nd September 2020 at 17:06.

I think there is a difference between Heuer (which has a wonderful back catalogue of lovely models dating back years) and TAG which doesn’t.

It’s interesting that TAG Heuer uses different logos on different models. So for example the Monaco is branded Heuer, where as Aquaracer is branded TAG Heuer. Why is that?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think there is a difference between Heuer (which has a wonderful back catalogue of lovely models dating back years) and TAG which doesn’t.

It’s interesting that TAG Heuer uses different logos on different models. So for example the Monaco is branded Heuer, where as Aquaracer is branded TAG Heuer. Why is that?
    I think you alluded to it in your summary. Heuer is the historical models Tag brings out, often at a higher price and finishing point. Personally very few Tags I like but I like most of the Heuers.

Craftsman
    Still miss my Monaco McQueen to this day. An iconic watch that was just so cool. Sold to fund a Rolex explorer 2 but will buy another one day.

Why no love for TAG?

Went through an obsession with Heuer and fortunately tried and enjoyed the majority before prices went crazy. The newer stuff never appealed aside from cursory ownership of quartz F1 models. Still have the Super Professional but that harks back to the pre Tag glory years.

Last edited by RLE; 23rd September 2020 at 16:56.

Craftsman
    Got a black face 2000 model for Christmas off the dragon years ago , except I didn’t get it on Christmas Day.

Looked at it before Christmas and they wouldn’t do a deal on it , walked in the Saturday after Christmas and got 20% off it , mind you it was about 25 years ago.

Still got it upstairs, hasn’t been worn for going on 15 years.

Apprentice
    Im a fan of the vintage Heuer 1000s

Master
    I know nothing about Tag but they have a huge range of models so it's a bit harsh to write off the whole brand.

FWIW, I do tend to associate Tag with the "moulded" style of bezel which, for some reason, I really dislike. That's obviously doing the brand an injustice!

By and large not keen on most of the more recent offerings , but, I am fond of mine , from 2000

Master
    A - The 80s
    B - Crap logo (Heuer only looks better obviously)
    C -
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    Was very much an aspirational watch for me as a teenager.
    And of course, D - the Tag link bracelet.

Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd September 2020 at 19:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    And of course, D - the Tag link bracelet.
    Oh, that’s not good!

I chose TH as the watch I wanted to buy myself for my 40th.

Loads of options, but TG was the one I chose....defo love from me!

Craftsman
    Back in the mid to late 90's when I was in my late teens I used to look through the Tag catalogue and would wish I could afford a Kirium; a classic 90's watch if ever I saw one! A few years later I bought a Carrera as my first 'proper' watch.
    I don't think the brand is hated, I just think a lot of people see Tag as their first foray into 'luxury' watches before moving on to other brands.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Didn’t RLT obtain a load of TAG Heuer cases and make frankenwatches out of them once?

Tag Heuer is pretty polarised...I love some of their classic Heuer offerings but their link bracelet watches were awful and dated horrendously. I think it was the “organic” look...it’s as if they were trying to base their bracelet on a human spine...not something I want my stainless steel bracelet to look like.

Blog Entries
    I had this one, many years ago. No idea what happened to it. Multifunction watch T1 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by emmm View Post
    I still have this SEL, my first "luxury" watch:

It was a "his and hers" pair gifted to me and the Mrs by my mother in the early '90s.
    The very bracelet type - that defined TAG for me.