closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Off the beaten track UK coastal locations - Advice Please!

Off the beaten track UK coastal locations - Advice Please!

We're wanting to go away somewhere coastal for a week today.
    My fiancee is pregnant so we've left it last minute to ensure we have the most up-to-date Covid stats.
    BUT we're struggling to find places to stay. Major locations in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset etc are all rammed and BnB's & hotels are either impossible to book or prohibitively expensive. It seems lots of other people have had the same idea as us!

SO does anyone know any coastal areas - preferably ones that aren't in local lockdowns/under curfews - that are a bit more under the radar?

We'll be driving so don't mind if it's not too close to major towns.

The sooner you recommend the better as we want to leave today!

Thanks!

Easy from London, the only desert in the country, a great fish and chips...

https://dungeness.org.uk
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Easy from London, the only desert in the country, a great fish and chips...

https://dungeness.org.uk
    That is quite amazing! I had no idea we had a desert in the UK! That website makes it look a little...bleak! Is it a place for a chilled week?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    That is quite amazing! I had no idea we had a desert in the UK! That website makes it look a little...bleak! Is it a place for a chilled week?

Pretty isolated

How about the Jurassic Coast? Maybe Hayling Island or the Isle of Wight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Pembrokeshire would be my choice, around St David's. Just don't tell too many people.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

It is off the beaten track. But you can move around to Hythe using the Romney Hythe Railway, the Romney Marsh produces the best lamb in the country (sorry, Wales, yours is gorgeous too). Social distancing should be really easy and I believe the place fares well with the virus at the moment.

Thing is, if you want more activities you will have exponentially more people. But if you want to rest, breathe in fresh sea air and enjoy decent food, it’s rather nice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    We stayed here a few years ago: Churchwood Valley, a few miles S-SE of Plymouth

https://churchwoodvalley.com

Craftsman
    North of Scotland? Orkney? Western Isles? Fabulous beaches, more sheep and midges than people!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Cases seem to have been low in Suffolk. Even in the major tourist centres like Southwold it is only likely to be the pier that would get particularly busy at this time of year. We found last minute availability in a remote spot during the summer.

https://www.suffolk-secrets.co.uk
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

North Norfolk coast is beautiful and quiet, I recommend Heacham.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Pembrokeshire would be my choice, around St David's. Just don't tell too many people.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    They already know. I meetfar more English people in Wales now than Welsh.

Another few decades and Wales will be renamed West England.

This was my thought. Google ‘Ranter’s Lodge Chesil Beach’ for an excellent place to get away to, assuming it isn’t already fully booked. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend I spent there and Chesil Beach is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    How about the Jurassic Coast? Maybe Hayling Island or the Isle of Wight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shetland. No-one on the beaches, but it's more bracing than Skegness.

You could come by train. Two adults first class return to Aberdeen is about £1,100 then allow about £300 return on the ferry with cabin both ways. On top of that you will need accommodation (£120 per night-ish) and a hire car.
    Last edited by Templogin; 20th September 2020 at 15:05. Reason: Fares information

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post

No, just a day visit.

We are so spolit for lovely coastal places in the UK. We are off to Tenby next month and I would suggest its a place to look at. You are on the Pembrokeshire coast and near St Davids etc as already suggested

Northumberland .
    Miles of empty sandy beaches, dark skies for stargazing and enough spas and hotels to satisfy any taste.
    Hadrians Wall and Keilder Forest are a short drive away. Then there’s spots like Seahouses, Alnwick and Lindisfarne island .Take a trip on a boat toThe Farnes to see colonies of very friendly greyseals. It’s a part of the country that is pleasingly often overlooked by most of the population. There are the big cities of Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham if you feel you need it.
    Then you could always go further a North into St Abbs and Eyemouth for stunning walks along cliff faces .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe we should run a book betting on the decided location - 'Find Toby'. I'm guessing, left field, Brighton/Hastings

Master
    Having recently had short breaks in Wales admittedly based away from the coast near Newcastle Emlyn, and also in Brighton, I'd opt for Wales we visited Tenby, St David's and Fishguard, Fishguard was the biggest surprise to me, stopped for a drink and ended up spending a fair bit of time exploring.
    Brighton was okay but could have been any other seaside town.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Captains quarters rose land peninsular Falmouth run by the National trust great views very very quiet used it a lot over the years.

I’ll get shot down for suggesting this place.....but if you’re quick to book it, there is 1 x 1 bed apartment left at the Centre Parcs in Elveden, from tomorrow, for a week.

It’s a great place if you like walking, cycling etc....and there is the excellent pool complex and hundreds of activities to do and bars/restaurants to eat in.

Be quick!

https://www.centerparcs.co.uk/breaks.../1/2/0/0/0/0/N

Just realized the OP meant leaving today and not a week today !!
    I hope they’ve found something and aren’t just on the M25 for a week .

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    North of Scotland? Orkney? Western Isles? Fabulous beaches, more sheep and midges than people!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
    Yup...Berneray in particular.
    Best beach in the world....bar none....so good in fact that official Thailand tourist literature shows photographs of the beach.
    Better than the Maldives even.

And the sea IS that blue.

Master
    We've just finished a week in Devon and Cornwall in our camper. The sites are nowhere near full and we had choice of pitches. Coming home today, boo hoo. Quite a few hire vans here and also plenty of empty fixed site accomodation.

Try in Thurlestone. Family is from there and while it is near to Salcombe it's far enough away you won't be with all the yuppies. The Thurlestone hotel is more aimed at golfers so may be quieter at the moment. It's nice if a little old fashioned for some but excellent food and service. There are some lovely beaches and walks right in/around Thurlestone. If the hotel is a bit much, there are plenty of places to stay nearer that will be cheaper/different.

If you must, you can pop into Salcombe for the day, just avoid the school holidays (both public and private).

Master
    Yes some great beaches on the West coast of Scotland

Strict dress code though

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Yes some great beaches on the West coast of Scotland

Strict dress code though

I re-watched that a few days ago. Great film.

Craftsman
    We went to Cornwall on the weekend, everywhere busy full of people who didn’t seem to fancy socially distancing. Don’t bother.

Craftsman
    How about Hayling Island ,West Witterings or Selsey?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    We went to Cornwall on the weekend, everywhere busy full of people who didn’t seem to fancy socially distancing. Don’t bother.
    That was not our experience in St Austell, Dawlish and Mevagissey. many businesses were limiting numbers and controlling throughflow also wearing face protection. Dawlish Warren however, which is like a mini Rhyl, was a different matter altogether. Depends on your tastes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    North Norfolk coast is beautiful and quiet, I recommend Heacham.
    My in laws just got a caravan there…. It’s lovely

I do love Wells just 10 miles south west of there though

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Northumberland .
    Miles of empty sandy beaches, dark skies for stargazing and enough spas and hotels to satisfy any taste.
    Hadrians Wall and Keilder Forest are a short drive away. Then there’s spots like Seahouses, Alnwick and Lindisfarne island .Take a trip on a boat toThe Farnes to see colonies of very friendly greyseals. It’s a part of the country that is pleasingly often overlooked by most of the population. There are the big cities of Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham if you feel you need it.
    Then you could always go further a North into St Abbs and Eyemouth for stunning walks along cliff faces .
    It’s going to piss it down next week... you may as well embrace it and go for full on bleak…. It’s spectacular round there

Whitby and Robin Hoods bay are stunning…. You may get something in Whitby if you’re not picky…. You’ll struggle in Robin hoods bay

It is the most magical stretch of coast you’ll come across…

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    That was not our experience in St Austell, Dawlish and Mevagissey. many businesses were limiting numbers and controlling throughflow also wearing face protection. Dawlish Warren however, which is like a mini Rhyl, was a different matter altogether. Depends on your tastes.
    Padstow absolutely rammed. Rock a bit better.

The Western Isles off the mainland of Scotland have some truly spectacular beaches.... (Slightly bracing though)

Here's a pic from my flight to Barra. The only scheduled aircraft flight in the world that lands on a beach. The flight schedule itself is dependent on the the tides.

Last edited by zippy; 23rd September 2020 at 14:13.

Aberdaron at the very end of the Llyn Peninsula, North Wales is a beautiful remote little village and nearby Porthor is a stunning beach with no buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The Western Isles off the mainland of Scotland have some truly spectacular beaches.... (Slightly bracing though)

Here's a pic from my flight to Barra. The only scheduled aircraft flight in the world that lands on a beach. The flight schedule itself is dependent on the the tides.

Fantastic place!

Did you get to see the tractor with the screw worms chew up the runway before rollering flat it again?

Looks like every coastal location in the U.K. has now been recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Fantastic place!

Did you get to see the tractor with the screw worms chew up the runway before rollering flat it again?
    We saw the tractor out giving the runway a good rollering, we must have missed the screw worms as we were enjoying the excellent food in the small cafe... SWMBO thoroughly recommends the hot chocolate , I recommend the excellent chips. Maybe wasn't the greatest idea to fill our stomachs, as the flight back was a little choppy in the cramped confines of the Twin Otter.

Last edited by zippy; 23rd September 2020 at 15:01.

OP is from the 20th & he says clearly that he want to go on that date.

We're wanting to go away somewhere coastal for a week today.

...so we've left it last minute
    People will still be posting recommendations at Christmas at this rate.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    My in laws just got a caravan there…. It’s lovely

I do love Wells just 10 miles south west of there though

It’s going to piss it down next week... you may as well embrace it and go for full on bleak…. It’s spectacular round there

Whitby and Robin Hoods bay are stunning…. You may get something in Whitby if you’re not picky…. You’ll struggle in Robin hoods bay

It is the most magical stretch of coast you’ll come across…
    I wouldn’t bother going to the Scarborough or Whitby areas as it’s one of the local COVID Hot Spots.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    OP is from the 20th & he says clearly that he want to go on that date.

People will still be posting recommendations at Christmas at this rate.
    Maybe OP could say where he is?

Craftsman
    Northumberland is terrific
    Great beaches castles pubs and Hadrian’s wall

Blog Entries
    It has been fine around here but the Southwold, Aldeburgh, etc hotspots have been getting rammed. Even our quiet bit of Lowestoft, Pakefield has been pretty busy.

Suffolk Costal and into The Waveney Valley has some stunning places to visit

Pitch

Wow!
    I've just logged on for the first time since the 20th when we went away and didn't expect all of these replies. We've now got ideas for the next 10 staycations!
    In truth, within about 45 mins of this being posted...

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Pembrokeshire would be my choice, around St David's. Just don't tell too many people.[/URL]
    I'd looked at St David's, checked the weather was OK, seen the Covid situation was as good as it gets, found this place to stay: https://www.penrhiwhotel.com/ booked it and left.

It was a beautiful place so many thanks to Hocuspocus for making the suggestion initially and those who followed up later backing the idea.

I cannot tell you how well the Covid-19 situation is being dealt with there. Everyone wearing masks - over their mouths AND noses - and truly making an effort to social distance. One way routes around shops, bars and restaurants are being adhered to. It embarrasses me how the English don't seem to care about it or can't be bothered to try. I've not felt this safe since before March.

During the trip we spent the one truly sunny day, Monday, on Whitesands Bay

We went swimming, sunbathing, crabbing and - obviously - I took pics of my new Breitling...

and I especially like these two:

On Tuesday we pottered around St David's, touring the spectacular cathedral:

before taking a coastal walk out to Porthclais Harbour:

whereupon the rain came in and we scarpered back.

On Wednesday we drove out to Pembroke to visit the castle:

then on to a place called Manorbier where I spent a number of Summers as a kid (local football team hilariously called Man United!), where we went for another walk in the rain!

Then on to Tenby which I didn't expect to be as wonderful as it is.

We're Now thinking of buying this: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...-sale-18955483

Then yesterday, as we came home slowly, we stopped at a few beaches to smell the sea air:

Then made our way to Barry to be the ultimate Gavin & Stacey tourists:

The beach on the island is lovely when the weather isn't great and not many people are on it:

All in all the exact trip we were after - full of relaxation, a bit of history, fresh air, gentle exercise, a bit of sun and good food.

If anyone wants any recommendations for places to go whilst there drop me a line - and again, thank you for all the other suggestions - we'll work our way through them!

That looks like it was a fantastic trip and you made sound choices all the way through. Glad you enjoyed!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Fantastic! The Breitling looks great too.

Great pics Toby, I am even more excited about our holiday to Tenby next month now.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Great pics Toby, I am even more excited about our holiday to Tenby next month now.
    Can I book Toby for November?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Can I book Toby for November?
    You'd need to pay well. Mondie and I have a VERY special relationship.

very good Mr Curta, it took a while for the joke to click