closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mutliple devices choking broadband speed

Blog Entries

Mutliple devices choking broadband speed

Hi

A question…!

I have around 27 connected devices for WiFi in my home - it’s a lot but I used to work in developing smart home products, so, i acquired a lot of connected tech

Multiple Sonos, sky q boxes and 3 apple airport express units doing various jobs…. It all adds up

My broadband hangs a lot…. My broadband provider advised that it is because I have too many devices all of which take an equal share of my bandwidth (average around 35mps)

I can’t get faster broadband as my limit is around 43mps - which is a clear limitation

What I want to avoid is my laptop hanging with me working from home, I all too regularly get kicked out of calls

I could get a second bonded line, but, as I’m moving soon I would rather avoid it

My question - is there a service provider that allows you to prioritise importance of device? Now tv (my current provider) only show the volume of devices but have no way of more active management

Any other thoughts? Live with it? Use 4G hotspot for really important calls?

What else do others think?

Cheers
    Ben

Master
    Some routers will allow you to set priorities and dedicate bandwidth to particular devices. Unless a significant number of those devices are shovelling data at the same time, I doubt that the number of connected devices is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hi

A question…!

I have around 27 connected devices for WiFi in my home - it’s a lot but I used to work in developing smart home products, so, i acquired a lot of connected tech

Multiple Sonos, sky q boxes and 3 apple airport express units doing various jobs…. It all adds up

My broadband hangs a lot…. My broadband provider advised that it is because I have too many devices all of which take an equal share of my bandwidth (average around 35mps)

I can’t get faster broadband as my limit is around 43mps - which is a clear limitation

What I want to avoid is my laptop hanging with me working from home, I all too regularly get kicked out of calls

I could get a second bonded line, but, as I’m moving soon I would rather avoid it

My question - is there a service provider that allows you to prioritise importance of device? Now tv (my current provider) only show the volume of devices but have no way of more active management

Any other thoughts? Live with it? Use 4G hotspot for really important calls?

Cheers
    Ben
    If you are a bit tech savvy look at using pfSense as a router.

https://www.pfsense.org/

I have my IOT split off onto another subnet, there is all sorts of traffic shaping & limiting you can do.

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/...per/index.html

If you have an old PC to install pfSense on its free of charge.

My Mesh (TP-Link) allows me to prioritise if it was needed
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Buy a decent routher like a Draytek & create separate wireless LANs for each type of use - you can have four on the 2.4GHz band & four on the 5GHz band & you can create separate wired LANs as well. Each one can have a rate limit applied so you can control the usage. If you've got a lot of people streaming video though you will run out of incoming bandwidth unless you put them on a different LAN to yourself & restrict their bandwidth allocation.

I think you need to change to a provider that doesn't employ idiots. Try Zen

Are you sure it's all about the bandwidth? I don't think all your devices are connected through cable, so one thing that comes to mind is WiFi/Blueetooth interference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Some routers will allow you to set priorities and dedicate bandwidth to particular devices. Unless a significant number of those devices are shovelling data at the same time, I doubt that the number of connected devices is the cause.
    This is the kind of thing I was after…. I could my Now Tv router as the modem abs bridge a router that allows me to prioritise a few devices…. Tried to put it through my HUAWEI router but couldn’t find a setting to enable this…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Are you sure it's all about the bandwidth? I don't think all your devices are connected through cable, so one thing that comes to mind is WiFi/Blueetooth interference.
    I genuinely have no idea…. The way their 12 year old technician explained it was that the signal comes in and gets equally divided amongst all the connected devices meaning that there wasn’t much to go round…. I assumed (wrongly it seems) that if I was pulling WiFi through having the devices actively using the broadband that this would be the issue - but it’s the sheer volume I was told and it keeps diluting how much you provide to each device

Upgrade to a mesh network, backhaul it, ethernet everything you can, use 2-3 SSIDs and when you have important calls turn off one or two of the other SSIDs if you still need to.

I have an Orbi set up and would buy one again. I used to have Apple APs, partly as a way to get cheap AirPlay pre-Sonos but Apple APs are quite out of date now. I doubt they are able to load balance effectively compared with today's offerings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Buy a decent routher like a Draytek & create separate wireless LANs for each type of use

I think you need to change to a provider that doesn't employ idiots. Try Zen
    I got the feeling this was nonsense…. So it all about managing access through the router effectively

What beyond what you’ve suggested does this on a reasonable budget

Also how do I set the Now tv router to bridge mode to allow a more sophisticated router to do the network management?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Upgrade to a mesh network, backhaul it, ethernet everything you can, use 2-3 SSIDs and when you have important calls turn off one or two of the other SSIDs if you still need to.

I have an Orbi set up and would buy one again. I used to have Apple APs, partly as a way to get cheap AirPlay pre-Sonos but Apple APs are quite out of date now. I doubt they are able to load balance effectively compared with today's offerings.
    I use my airport express to spread the wireless network and make my ageing Sonos kit smart

Your suggestions at the top were a bit Japanese to my ears…. I’m no Luddite and work in technology but this kind of stuff gets very confusing!!!

Blog Entries
    I mean it’s really only one device that I am trying to protect - what’s a cost effective way of doing it that’s effective…. I’m moving soon and could probably fix It with higher speeds?

I use my airport express to spread the wireless network and make my ageing Sonos kit smart

Your suggestions at the top were a bit Japanese to my ears…. I’m no Luddite and work in technology but this kind of stuff gets very confusing!!!
    Backhauling just means make sure any repeater access points are connected by ethernet. I tried my two access point mesh network without having the repeater plugged in by ethernet and the results were pants. When I got an ethernet cable into the loft and plugged it in there the signal around the entire house was perfect.

You have two issues here. Your speed isn't great to begin with and then your network is probably quite old and is struggling internally. Regarding struggling internally no change in internet speed would help that, it's a network issue rather than a Virgin/BT etc issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    If you are a bit tech savvy look at using pfSense as a router.

https://www.pfsense.org/

I have my IOT split off onto another subnet, there is all sorts of traffic shaping & limiting you can do.

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/...per/index.html

If you have an old PC to install pfSense on its free of charge.
    Thanks - not massively savvy ! But ok…. Was after a simple solution (if one exists) or maybe a broadband provider that offers this kind of service as I am still in my cooling off period until the 24th September and I am not remotely happy with Now TV service

At a minimum I would reconfigure your network into two SSIDs (own with junk and one with important devices) and when you have a call I would pop into Airport Utility and turn the second network off. That's free and should help.

Blog Entries
    Backhauling just means make sure any repeater access points are connected by ethernet. I tried my two access point mesh network without having the repeater plugged in by ethernet and the results were pants. When I got an ethernet cable into the loft and plugged it in there the signal around the entire house was perfect.

You have two issues here. Your speed isn't great to begin with and then your network is probably quite old and is struggling internally. Regarding struggling internally no change in internet speed would help that, it's a network issue rather than a Virgin/BT etc issue.
    Right - so new rather than use my airport express as my network …. I need another layer of networked devices? I do have an Ethernet connection going to one other point in the house…

Would Orbi help manage priorities and provide a better up to date network?

Thanks - not massively savvy ! But ok…. Was after a simple solution (if one exists) or maybe a broadband provider that offers this kind of service as I am still in my cooling off period until the 24th September and I am not remotely happy with Now TV service
    I never even knew NowTV provided internet. I would guess their service is just rebranded BT and that their router is junk.

Go with a traditional network provider like BT or Virgin (or even Sky) and see how you get on. If it's still pants upgrade to a Mesh network from someone like Orbi.

Right - so new rather than use my airport express as my network …. I need another layer of networked devices? I do have an Ethernet connection going to one other point in the house…

Would Orbi help manage priorities and provide a better up to date network?
    Not another layer, no, I would rip out whatever you have and start again.

Only Virgin require you to use their modem so you should be free and clear to take out anything NowTV and just buy your own modem or equipment in general.

Blog Entries
    At a minimum I would reconfigure your network into two SSIDs (own with junk and one with important devices) and when you have a call I would pop into Airport Utility and turn the second network off. That's free and should help.
    So I have three access points on my airport utility…. I can’t see how to pop them on or off?

- - - Updated - - -

Not another layer, no, I would rip out whatever you have and start again.

Only Virgin require you to use their modem so you should be free and clear to take out anything NowTV and just buy your own modem or equipment in general.
    So I don’t need to use the NOW tv router?

So I have three access points on my airport utility…. I can’t see how to pop them on or off?
    You wouldn't be turning on and off the access points. You'd be turning off the network/SSID.

Network A: computers and phones
    Network B: Hue, Sonos, Xbox, other nonsense etc

Before a call go into settings and then off network B. Nothing to do with access points.

So I don’t need to use the NOW tv router?
    Probably not but you would need to check with them for sure. That's just what they send you out to get you up and running. You are probably allowed to buy your own stuff.

Why don't you just turn the WiFi off on it and use your airport access points to run your WiFi?

Blog Entries
    You wouldn't be turning on and off the access points. You'd be turning off the network/SSID.

Network A: computers and phones
    Network B: Hue, Sonos, Xbox, other nonsense etc

Before a call go into settings and then off network B. Nothing to do with access points.
    Ok…. I think I follow -

How do I create separate networks?
    how do I associate different devices to these different networks
    What is the process for turning them on and off?

This feels like it may well beyond my tech ability!

And thanks for trying!

Probably not but you would need to check with them for sure. That's just what they send you out to get you up and running. You are probably allowed to buy your own stuff.

Why don't you just turn the WiFi off on it and use your airport access points to run your WiFi?
    Nah - just checked and it didn’t work! How do I turn off its WiFi? As I literally have it connected to nothing but it does put out a signal

Ok…. I think I follow -

How do I create separate networks?
    how do I associate different devices to these different networks
    What is the process for turning them on and off?

This feels like it may well beyond my tech ability!

And thanks for trying!

Nah - just checked and it didn’t work! How do I turn off its WiFi? As I literally have it connected to nothing but it does put out a signal
    I haven't used Apple's Airport devices a few years and no longer have iPhones but from memory.

Put a pin in the back of the airports for 10 seconds until the lights flash amber. This will wipe everything off them and start from factory fresh.

From an iPhone you can join any of the new access points and set it up within iOS. I would reset the one you want to use as your main first, then reset and set the other two up as additional/repeater access points.

During set up you can choose to turn on/off guest network or create an additional network side by side (SSID). That network can be given access for X minutes per day or only between certain hours so I'm quite sure you can open up AirPort Utility on your phone/Mac and turn it off/on manually.

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    I haven't used Apple's Airport devices a few years and no longer have iPhones but from memory.

Put a pin in the back of the airports for 10 seconds until the lights flash amber. This will wipe everything off them and start from factory fresh.

From an iPhone you can join any of the new access points and set it up within iOS. I would reset the one you want to use as your main first, then reset and set the other two up as additional/repeater access points.

During set up you can choose to turn on/off guest network or create an additional network side by side (SSID). That network can be given access for X minutes per day or only between certain hours so I'm quite sure you can open up AirPort Utility on your phone/Mac and turn it off/on manually.

Hope that helps.
    Ok - will have a play…. My current access points are routed from another

And by the way - you’ve been really helpful - thanks for being so patient!

I have discovered a ‘guest network’ setting on HUAWEI router - so could just turn that on and off from an app!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 20th September 2020 at 14:07.

Ok - will have a play…. My current access points are routed from another

And by the way - you’ve been really helpful - thanks for being so patient!

I have discovered a ‘guest network’ setting on HUAWEI router - so could just turn that on and off from an app!
    No worries. To be honest your network set up sounds overly complicated and I would look at simplifying it. Sounds like there are routers and access points everywhere.

This is timely. I am having exactly the same issues with the same network provider. I'm not particularly tech-savvy either.

I have 43mb confirmed coming into the house, but can only get a maximum of 20-25mb on devices.

Ethernet is not an option at present but did invest in a TP-Link router 4-5 years ago that works on the SKY/NowTV
    network and have 3x Tenda Nova mesh wifi to help with coverage across the house.

Most of the time it is ok, but it's when you drop a work video call or the SkyQ drops out in the bedroom that infuriates me.

The TP-Link router is probably 4-5 years old now and may upgrade it although reluctant as I know the speed into the house is ok.

Blog Entries
    No worries. To be honest your network set up sounds overly complicated and I would look at simplifying it. Sounds like there are routers and access points everywhere.
    There are - I have the NOW tv router plugged into an TP link Ethernet spitter which then goes into the first airport express which wirelessly connects to the other two

The first sky q box comes straight off the router with a network of its own

The Sonos network feeds off the airport express network…

I need to think about how to simplify and manage things more effectively

Speed internally is down to many things. The speed you get into the house almost doesn't matter.

Here are two speed tests I've just done sat on my patio. One done using the Orbi app which is connected by ethernet to the Virgin box and checks the speed the Orbi APs are receiving. The other shows the speed my phone is getting from the Orbi network.

If I was indoors it would be better. So many variables at play.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I genuinely have no idea…. The way their 12 year old technician explained it was that the signal comes in and gets equally divided amongst all the connected devices meaning that there wasn’t much to go round…. I assumed (wrongly it seems) that if I was pulling WiFi through having the devices actively using the broadband that this would be the issue - but it’s the sheer volume I was told and it keeps diluting how much you provide to each device
    Their technican needs a slap - this is utter bullshit.

I have well over 50 devices and the monthly background internet usage is negligible - especially compared to just one night's streaming of Amazon TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

I have well over 50 devices and the monthly background internet usage is negligible - especially compared to just one night's streaming of Amazon TV.
    Indeed here is my monthly usage on my IOT network:-

https://i.ibb.co/p0bwCG4/Screenshot-...t-11-44-19.png

The peaks are 4K Netflix
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 21st September 2020 at 12:56.

Orbi is my preferred tool, here are my current speeds on my Orbi and on my iPad Pro connected to it by 5Ghz WiFi:

Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
    Samuel Johnson

Blog Entries

Do you know what - I guessed it was…. He was utterly convinced that this was the issue though

I don’t know if it’s an issue with my network or the just the supply dropping and everything hanging…

I have 2 days to decide whether to get rid of my current set up…

Master
    Blog Entries
    If your connection regularly hangs completely then it's really very simple:

Either: There's a fault on your connection
    Or: You have a faulty router/modem/setup

Depending on your provider, your modem/router could be rubbish or acceptable and the resolution to your issue depends a lot on whether your provider allows you to have your own modem. I'm with Virgin and I have to use their cable modem (they record the MAC address) BUT you can turn off the router part and use your own so I run Ubiquiti kit for that part and for WiFi coverage - both reliability and WiFi are leagues above what I got using their kit alone.

If your provider allows your own modem and router I'd buy one - you can probably get a decent one for under £100. Forums usually have a pile of info about how to set them up on your provider. If your provider insists on their own modem, then see if you can put it in modem-only mode and buy your own router - again well under £100.
    Alternatively you can try to get them to do proper tests on your connection and/or give you a replacmeent modem/router....

Do you know what - I guessed it was…. He was utterly convinced that this was the issue though

I don’t know if it’s an issue with my network or the just the supply dropping and everything hanging…

I have 2 days to decide whether to get rid of my current set up…
    When there is a doubt, there is no doubt.
    Try Zen or IDNet: not cheap, but impeccable service, which in this year's circumstances has been a godsend (I am with the latter)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I have the same issue i countered it bu using a reasonable high end consumer router. my case its the Asus RT AC88U, but anything similar in their line up from the 66U upwards would be fine. the key issue for me was that i could flash the Merlin operating system over the top, which is a community tweaked version. It has additional Quality of Service (QoS) priorities you can apply to different devices, so alexas yet the short straw but PCs and netflix get priority.

You could also try splitting netowrks. assigning some devices to your 2.4ghz band, and others to the faster but lower range 5ghz band.

I would recommenced wiring as many devices into the router as possible rather than wireless connections, TP link powerline adapters for devices which are really far away helped me

finally select wireless bands with care, see this as an example: https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-right-channel

It could be your neighbours old TV!?!?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I was just thinking that myself :-)

You'd think the neighbourhood would club together to buy them a new TV rather than just guilt them into not using the old one

Blog Entries
    If your connection regularly hangs completely then it's really very simple:

Either: There's a fault on your connection
    Or: You have a faulty router/modem/setup
    I wanted a simple answer and this seals it….

Now to deal with a customer service centre <shudders>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    When there is a doubt, there is no doubt.
    Try Zen or IDNet: not cheap, but impeccable service, which in this year's circumstances has been a godsend (I am with the latter)
    I’m not inept when it comes to tech…. But I smelt nonsense and I would love some reliable support

Blog Entries
    House raids are booked - only to discover its my tv !