closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your earliest watch that you still own.

Let's see your earliest watch that you still own.

I'm sure this has been done once, twice, or even to death before but who cares?

I'm sure I'm not alone in regretting ditching my earliest watches, in my case 80's Casio digitals I finally dumped during a ruthless declutter not that many years ago. Noticed one in particular a digital moonphase sell for £150 on eBay recently and that one was in crap condition too, dammit!

Anyway the earliest I still have is this early 90's Animal. When these watches burst onto the scene around '93 I thought they were the absolute dogs danglies and got this one shortly after as my first(what I classed at the time) proper watch. Absolutely loved the thing and wore it literally 24/7 for years, never off my wrist. Have so many happy memories with this watch and for the lifestyle I had back then it's held up pretty well and I'm pleased I never got around to replacing the glass I had intended at one point. I can even remember making those scratches on the glass coming off my surf ski and being crashed into some jagged rocks, haha.

Should have kept the original Velcro strap and box which I dumped same time as my early Casio's but never mind, at least it looks great on a phoenix and I still enjoy wearing it now and then.

Do I wish it was something a bit more special? Not really, it's still special enough to me and while it's not even close to being a horological classic it still has a certain cool factor IMO and very much of its time.

Oh, pics!

Edit, just noticed the glass looks scratch free in these pics, it certainly is not

So what have you still got and is there a story to go along with it? Do you still wear it regularly or at least occasionally?
    Last edited by Tetlee; 20th September 2020 at 10:19.

Master
    Absolutely love it mate. I too owned a couple of animal watches and like thought they were amazing. Mine was a yellow dial version. Sadly don't have it anymore. Goodness only knows where it went.
    Anyway this Seiko Kinetic would be my earliest watch that l still own, bought in 1998 by an ex GF just before I joined the RAF regimant (no jokes please )
    The strap is a little small now so can't wear it anymore, would love to get a replacement for it. I'd never get rid of this watch but I don't really know why. Sentiment I guess.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Master
    That 'Animal' is so very much of its time. So aesthetically awful that it's actually quite charming.

I bought this one in 1986. I still have a Swatch from around the same time but I don't have a pic handy, and I'm not sure which of them I bought first.

I gave this one to my Dad in the late '80s, but re-inherited it in 1994. He wore it a lot, to the point that the crystal was almost opaque with scratches and the metal bracelet was unsalvageable. I chucked the bracelet but the crystal came up nicely with the application of brute force and Brasso.

@sniper-sam can you not get one of those clasp extenders for it?

Both those watches look cool, the above Seiko I still really like that case shape. And the Kinetic again very much of its time, the 90's on were a bit of a low point overall for watches but designs like this very much represent about all that was distinctive from that decade.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 20th September 2020 at 11:00.

Master
    @Tetlee probably lol. Never looked into it. I remember years ago when I posted a pic on this forum someone had suggested a different type of strap for it (I think) but again I never looked into it.
    It will go on my wrist OK, which I'm amazed at as it was sized for me 22 years ago, once I start moving about though it gets a little uncomfortable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Both longest owned and oldest watch, well pocket watch.

I received this on my 16th birthday some 36 years ago from my parents.

Last edited by ben4watches; 20th September 2020 at 12:25.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Longest...35 years.

Oldest....issued to my mother's first cousin Johnny "Kentawoski" Kent, Wing Commander 303 Squadron in 1942.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gerard; 20th September 2020 at 12:39.

The silver dialled Seiko SQ on the right is my oldest owned watch. IIRC I paid £30 for it. A fair bit in those days.

I bought it new in the early '70's and my late Dad bought the blue one at the same time.

I have them both now.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Seiko quartz. Bought for my 18th. I still have it and wear it. Its only had a few batteries in that time, although I do pull the crown out when it's not being worn.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    I acquired this Timemaster new in 1968...

...it was my only watch for many years & took a good battering. It's been serviced a couple of times & has had two replacement crystals.
    Still running ok

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/vnmAHZ5.jpg
    This is the first proper watch I bought. It followed a Seiko Skyline that my Gran gave me on my 18th. Sadly it was lost but I still have the Omega, bought with the money she left me & never to be parted with...

Master
    A gift from my now ex wife in 1997. Still runs and keeps great time, just feels very small now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This old Seiko from '79 still going strong on it's 4th battery!!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Oldest....issued to my mother's first cousin Johnny "Kentawoski" Kent, Wing Commander 303 Squadron in 1942.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Repeat please!
    Last edited by sk2k; 20th September 2020 at 16:14.

Master
    Not sure why I overlooked this, but actually I bought it before the Seiko pictured earlier in the thread. July 9th 1986.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Tag or the ex wife

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    A gift from my now ex wife in 1997. Still runs and keeps great time, just feels very small now.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    This was my first 'divers' watch and started a lifelong love affair with this type of watch.

I think it's about 30 years old now =)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    The Tag or the ex wife
    I imagine she would attribute those characteristics to me

Seiko 7A38 purchased new from Argos in 1987. My first ever analogue watch and it is still going strong

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you mean the earliest watch I own or the oldest watch I own. The earliest would be this Timex that I was given by my parents when I was about 12 years old. It still runs good enough:

The oldest watch I own is my Grandfathers pocket watch. That still runs as well. Might have it serviced some day. :)

Craftsman
    The earliest watch of mine that I still own, is the Seiko SKX033 Pepsi on the black rubber strap, discontinued long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean the earliest watch I own or the oldest watch I own. The earliest would be this Timex that I was given by my parents when I was about 12 years old. It still runs good enough:

The oldest watch I own is my Grandfathers pocket watch. That still runs as well. Might have it serviced some day. :)

Lovely watches here! How old is the TIMEX my father had the same one which unfortunately got lost a few years ago!

Great thread OP

S

Ive got older watches but this is the longest I've owned a watch it's my Seiko SQ100 I got from my Nan
    For my 15th birthday making it 32 years old

Oldest watch I own would be this gold Longines. Inherited from my late dad, he bought it to celebrate my birth, hence it’s 67 years old!

Oldest one I own and bought myself is my 16800 Submariner. Bought new in 1983 in Jamaica. I was working in Kingston on secondment, staying in a large hotel which had a shopping mall with a Rolex AD... oh dear! Long story short, I spent a large portion of my subsistence allowance and ended up having to move to cheaper accommodation for the (large) remainder of my tour!
    Hence, it’’’s 37 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is both the oldest watch I own, and the one I have owned the longest. A 9ct.Tudor Royal my grandfather bought in 1959, which he left to me in his will in 1964. I wasn't allowed to wear it until 1970's by which time I had a "Saturday job" in the local Safeway supermarket, so it took quite a bit of inadvertent abuse during that period. But it, and a Sekonda (Strela) chronograph I purchased about that time (long since lost) probably got me interested in watches. I should say it is now much loved and the Sekonda much missed!

A

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Lovely watches here! How old is the TIMEX my father had the same one which unfortunately got lost a few years ago!

Great thread OP

S
    Probably about 1975. I cannot remember exactly.

Earliest I bought was a new Westclox Scotty Pocket watch for $1.50 in about 1959. I earliest purchase I still own is this Bulova Caravelle that I bought new in December 1966 for $25-30 (I think).

Earliest watch that I still own is my 1914 Longines Pocket watch.

However, I think you mean which watch did I acquire first that I still own, in which case it's an easy one.

It's my Jaquet Droz, that was a 21st birthday present from my parents in 1983.

To be honest, it was never greatly to my taste, being gold, but I do wear it on family occasions, just because of its history.

There's nothing really wrong with it, it's a nice little watch in good condition that seems to keep remarkably good time despite (because of?) never having been serviced.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Thanks to everyone for posting here - it has been fantastic seeing everyone's early watches and hearing their stories. One of the things I love best about watches is the history that forms an ingrained part of every piece in a collection, especially those passed down through one's family.

My earliest is a Seiko that my Mom gave to my Dad when they were first married. My Dad gave it to me when I was a teenager so I would have a dress watch. It's a pretty simple (other than the small diamonds at the top of the dial - which wouldn't normally be my taste, but somehow are understated enough to suit the watch I think) quartz watch, but has grown over the years to be one of my favorites.

ABAA25B6-8CA2-435C-8497-6EAA351FA790 by J D, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    Absolutely love it mate. I too owned a couple of animal watches and like thought they were amazing. Mine was a yellow dial version. Sadly don't have it anymore. Goodness only knows where it went.
    Anyway this Seiko Kinetic would be my earliest watch that l still own, bought in 1998 by an ex GF just before I joined the RAF regimant (no jokes please )
    The strap is a little small now so can't wear it anymore, would love to get a replacement for it. I'd never get rid of this watch but I don't really know why. Sentiment I guess.

£395 in 1998, still got it, still wear it, still on the original capacitor.

Master
    @uktotty impressive mate. My capacitor was replaced in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    However, I think you mean which watch did I acquire first that I still own, in which case it's an easy one.
    Yes exactly, the reason I worded it that way is I suspect alot of us have at least a couple vintage watches we've picked up along the way which are likely older than our longest standing timepiece within our collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for posting here - it has been fantastic seeing everyone's early watches and hearing their stories. One of the things I love best about watches is the history that forms an ingrained part of every piece in a collection, especially those passed down through one's family.
    Couldn't have said it better, some crackers shared here that I will admit I wish I could say I owned from new. It's great seeing the variety here aswell and really nice reading some of the stories. Enjoyed the responses no end so thanks to all.

It must be fantastic for have owned some of these absolute gems all these years, but I'm sure we all agree its the memories that go with these watches that makes them what they are so even a cheapie can be an amazing and irreplaceable thing still to own.

As an aside I really like the ones that look as though they've been through hell and back over the years. I bet most of us take far more care of our watches now than we ever used to, well, aswell as leading far calmer lifestyles I guess.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 22nd September 2020 at 11:18.

Had this one since 1986, had other stuff before but long gone...
    it's mint, as is the bracelet...

Craftsman
    This fellow. Purchased by my Dad 25 years ago

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

1969 Rolex Date owned for 29 years

Master
    Bought on my 20th birthday, 31 years ago, to replace the one taken off my wrist whilst in my cups that had been an 18th birthday present from my folks.

This Timex from 1984. Needs to go to one of our resident watch guys to be fixed......stem had come loose and I attempted a home fix only to dismantle it. Needless to say no idea on how to put it back together!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RLE; 23rd September 2020 at 16:58.

I might have some older bits lying around, but this is definitely my oldest runner. From 1938 give or take a year, and quite possibly the earliest known yacht timing wristwatch.

Some lovely watches on this thread. Wore this lovely Seiko for most of my teens and twenties in tandem with a Seiko 5 that I haven’t got a picture of to hand. They both need to be serviced and put back into regular rotation.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Given that I assume you mean the earliest watch I owned then it’s the one in the thread linked below....a Timex given to me by my grandparents when I was 7 or 8.

My first watch

Bought by myself from a jewellers on the high street in Cheltenham, shortly after moving up there to study, it was 1994. Had a couple of batteries along the way, and has been to most corners of the world. Still wear it now when I'm out on the mtb, love it, would never part with it.

Master

My 18th birthday present. My Dad took me into town and we spent the morning in and out of the boutiques and I finally plumped for this little beauty in Selfridges. That was 32 years ago.
    I misplaced it at some point and believed it to be long. That was until May last year when it turned up packed in an box buried in the garage which had been unopened over many house moves. A quick trip to Genesis for some TLC and now it runs as good as new but still wearing the scars of misspent youth!

Last edited by lughugger; 27th September 2020 at 08:22.

Here’s mine, a Tissot I bought in about 1998. I wanted a decent watch and was really happy with this, I wasn’t very knowledgable back then, but I knew I wanted something Swiss, and analogue. I wore it every day for ten years (until I got a Seiko Orange Monster!). Considering some of the things I got up to back then and the number of drunken escapades and nights out I wore it on, it’s in amazingly good condition. This thread prompted me to get it out the drawer and replace the battery. It’s a bit small (probably 36 or 37mm) and rather thin, but it’s nice to wear it again!

I’m sure the dial used to be a lot whiter, it looks to be a more cream colour now.

Master
    My first watch was given to me by my Dad when I was about eight and was a small, white dialled manual. Most excitingly the hands glowed in the dark. I thought I still had it but when I last searched through my box of crap in my parent's attic it was not there. However, this is the earliest watch that I still own:

A Pulsar Spoon W671-4170. I have owned it from new. I bought it when I was a student, about twenty years ago. I saw it in the window of a "fashionable" clothes shop down a small alley off the high street. I was instantly taken by the different, out there styling which I thought was cool (I still do). But when I went in there and asked to try it on, the glowing red LCD had me sold. I had never seen the like before. It was up for sale at £120 which was far more than I could afford at the time. So I decided to reduce my drinking and save up for it. So, a dry(ish) month or so later (during which I had regularly walked past and popped in to check it was still there) I went in to the shop with the cash in hand and handed it over. The chap behind the counter managed to resize the bracelet for me and I walked out pleased as punch.

I rather optimistically christened it my pulling watch as I thought that the aforementioned red LCD would impress the ladies. It was an early lesson that ladies of that age (or at least the ones that I was trying to impress) aren't really that impressed with watches, even if they do glow red. As a result of the optimistic nickname I wore it a lot, particularly on drunken nights out. As you can see, it wears those scars of those nights out.

Over the years I had the battery changed twice but then, when it died again I tucked the watch into a drawer and ignored it until early last year when I decided to resurrect it. Fortunately the battery hadn't corroded and it worked straight away with the correct replacement.

Although it didn't kick off my collecting habit (it was my only watch until about ten years ago when I picked up another for daily wear which is how my collection stayed until I joined the forum two years ago) it showed me that watches weren't just for telling the time but also that they can come in many different forms while still performing the same basic function (and many more complicated ones too).

Here are a few stats;

Lug to lug - 44mm
    Diameter - 38mm
    Across pushers - 45mm

Lug width 16mm (although the end link overlaps the lugs at 20mm)

It sits fairly proud, at the highest point it is 16 or 17mm tall (doorways are always a bit tricky wearing this).

It weighs in at a fairly hefty 120g including bracelet.

If look at it a bit critically there are a few things that don't feel right. The styling of the head is great and the red glow still makes me smile. The pushers stick out a tad too far perhaps and make it look a little like a WWII sea mine but I still prefer it to the versions where the pushers are more integrated with the case. My main gripe is the bracelet. Although the end links are 20mm they taper to 16mm and that is the size of the rest of the bracelet. I feel this leaves the head unbalanced, both proportionally and also in how it wears as it is a bit top heavy.

I still like this watch a lot and wear it regularly.

Master
    This is the earliest watch that I still own - belonged to my grandfather & handed down to me about 35 years ago.
    One of the first Oyster models dating from around 1930.

First ever watch - gifted by the parents when I was 16. Only changed the battery twice in 10 years!

S

Fun thread! Had me digging in the back of my wardrobe to find mine

This was a gift from my mother on my 8th birthday. We were visiting Disneyland Paris and this was from the gift shop.

I think I can still pull it off? Might need to find a new battery

Craftsman
    Given to me about 30+ years ago by my Grandfather.

Apprentice
    A 1996 Flik Flak that my mother bought me for my 5th anniversary :D

Enviat des del meu Mi 9T Pro usant Tapatalk

Master