closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Backlash

Backlash

What amount of backlash is acceptable?
    If I move the hands forward & set the minute hand on my Tudor Heritage Chrono dead on the marker it takes a minute to move so straight waits a minute behind !
    If I move the hands backwards and set it dead on the market it takes 15 seconds or so to move so it’s still out!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That’s not acceptable - at least not to me.
    I expect the minute hand to start moving straight away, and in virtually every watch I have had, it does

Can you take up the backlash via slack/play in the crown?

Never knew that was the word for this!

Master
    I allow around 20 seconds for backlash to get right. Most chronograph movements in my experience suffer a degree of backlash. Even my BB chrono' with the B01 has a little. It is annoying though.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

If it's a modular chrono, it can be normal to have up to a one minute delay before the minute hand starts to move.

My Omega Dynamic Chrono is no different and I either fath about with it or just set it one minute fast.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Master
    Hmm, yes, do modular chronos suffer more backlash I wonder? The Tudor has the Dubois Depraz module, but I can't think why the 'module' would make the going train more susceptible to backlash.
    Having said, my Fortis B42 chrono has a lot of backlash, i.e. setting running seconds 20 seconds before to sync' seconds & minute hands.
    Three handers don't suffer so much IMO, so perhaps this maybe a chronograph complication issue.
    Do Pateks/ Vacherons/Girard suffer the same issue?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Modular chronographs will always exhibit this, it isn’t a fault, its just a quirk of the design.

All watch will suffer some degree of backlash which will cause a slight delay between setting and the minute / hr hands moving. I’ve never thought about this before, but setting the hands backwards should eliminate the error, its a bit like setting ignition timing on older cars where the distributor always had to move against the direction of the rotor arm.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Modular chronographs will always exhibit this, it isn’t a fault, its just a quirk of the design.

All watch will suffer some degree of backlash which will cause a slight delay between setting and the minute / hr hands moving. I’ve never thought about this before, but setting the hands backwards should eliminate the error, its a bit like setting ignition timing on older cars where the distributor always had to move against the direction of the rotor arm.
    This is recommended by a manufacturer that I cannot recall - move the hands forward past the time you wish to set to, then go backwards to the desired time. I cannot recall which brand it was, but I recall being impressed that they were acknowledging the issue of backlash in their manual.

Edit: It's Citizen, in their Eco-Drive manual
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd September 2020 at 14:38.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This is recommended by a manufacturer that I cannot recall ............Edit: It's Citizen, in their Eco-Drive manual
    And also IWC, this from their Pilot watch manual

"TIME SETTINGPull out the crown to position 2. This will stop the movement.To set the time accurately to the second, it is best to stop themovement as the seconds hand passes 60. Now move the minute hand a few minute strokes beyond the time to be set.Then position the minute hand by moving it gently backwards until it is exactly above the correct minute stroke. This ensures thatthe minute hand begins to move immediately when you restart the movement. To start the seconds hand, push in the crown toposition 0. When setting the time, please be aware of the datechange, which always takes place at 12 midnight. If this changehas already taken place at 12 noon, you must move the handsforwards by 12 hours."

All watch will suffer some degree of backlash which will cause a slight delay between setting and the minute / hr hands moving. I’ve never thought about this before, but setting the hands backwards should eliminate the error,
    I know posting this reply is going to look like some sort of obsessive contraryism, it really is not supposed to be, but you said this once:

Another small tip: when setting the time ensure the final motion of the hands is in a forward direction...........I`ll let you work out why.
    I only remember because it was the opposite to what I'd previously followed, and now it's contradictory again!

My Heritage Chrono also has backlash.

My technique is to set it forwards, stopping just a fraction after the minute, and ensuring the crown doesn't move back before restarting the movement.

I set it and put it on a couple of hours ago and here it is now:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I know posting this reply is going to look like some sort of obsessive contraryism, it really is not supposed to be, but you said this once:

I only remember because it was the opposite to what I'd previously followed, and now it's contradictory again!
    I got that wrong! When fitting hands it applies, but that’s a different situation and there’s always some trial and error involved to get the date changing at 12 and the minute hand synchronised correctly.

Master
    I have a few (probably 8 or 10) 7750 chronos of various vintages and I set them all by moving the hands back to the exact time and I find this works fine.
    I have only one modular chrono (TAG Monaco) and it takes about 70-90 secs for the min hand to move. Irritating in the extreme, as the time lag can vary so very difficult to get it spot on. I didn't notice this at first. I bought it used from USA and had used the 7750 method to set it for the first time, then found it to be a full minute slow after half an hour. Rinse and repeat. Next a full min slow after only 10 mins etc etc. Damn, it's a dud. Then the penny dropped. Panic over, it's just irritating.