closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tom Hardy the new James Bond?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    ...the svelte grey man who uses his intellect rather than his muscles to do the job.
    Yes - far more interesting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Returning to Caville, he already nailed it in The Man From Uncle reboot. This had everything and made Spectre look bloated, tired and humourless. I’m still delighted at the period and context correct watch too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x08iNZ8Mfc

Just watch it if you haven’t. You can thank me later.
    Thank you.

Journeyman
    Hoagy! Glad to see some here know their Bond history
    I recall that from the books too.. Hardy is therefore perhaps too beefy to fit Fleming's blueprint, although he did come around to the idea of former bodybuilder Sean Connery in the role.

I'd like to have seen Cillian Murphy or Michael Fassbender get it but the clock is ticking for these two as well.

Hardy is too old - would be 47ish for next one and already in 50s for one after that.

Also already too well known (as are many of the guesses).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I like Hardy as an actor, but for me James Bond isn't covered head to toe in tattoos. I'm sure they could cover them all up with a ton of makeup but even so ...

Cavill ticks all the boxes, if you want to be true to the Fleming aesthetic. Right age at 37 as well.
    Daniel Craig has a few tattoos ....I've removed them quite often in various Bond films.

Master
    Fassbender is another that would be perfect, and better than Hardy, but has missed the boat due to age (43). For me he is what Bond should be above everything: the svelte grey man who uses his intellect rather than his muscles to do the job.

I really cannot think of anyone sub-35 to fill the part, not a Brit anyway.
    Agreed, I’d have liked to see that, he’s a proper actor with enough depth to follow Craig.

Master
    Lots on here going on about actors being too old for the role if they are in their early forties. We don’t all age the same. Tom cruise is extremely active and he’s 58. Randy Couture was winning world titles in MMA in his forties.
    You can’t simply dismiss an actor because of his age. Within reason obviously.

Fair point but Tommy drinks the blood of virgins to stay young, I saw it in a film of his!

The issue going forwards is they want 10-15 years out of the lead, so makes sense to start sub-40 so they aren't on crutches by the fourth film.

Edit: just to say I'm 50 soon, and quite open to taking the role!
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 23rd September 2020 at 19:43.

As I'm 61 then I guess theres no point putting myself forward then

Im not an actor of course but I do have a fine head of hair for my age

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    As I'm 61 then I guess theres no point putting myself forward then

Im not an actor of course but I do have a fine head of hair for my age
    I'm not far behind Connery and Moore. What's the age limit again?

Well Moore was around 60 when he appeared in his last Bond. Though he had an odd look about him as though the eye lift hadn't gone quite right or the botox wasn't the right strength.

Not sure how old Connery was in his last one, mid 50s perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tom Hardy has been my choice all along. No. 2 would be Charlie Hunnam: just turned 40; handsome; intelligent; muscular; 6' 1"...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Lots on here going on about actors being too old for the role if they are in their early forties. We don’t all age the same. Tom cruise is extremely active and he’s 58. Randy Couture was winning world titles in MMA in his forties.
    You can’t simply dismiss an actor because of his age. Within reason obviously.
    Sure but you have to look at it within the context of the Bond franchise - Moore was 46 when he started but given how creaky he was in the last few films they are unlikely to repeat that.

Moreover, Hardy is I believe very difficult to deal with and they do not like that.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 24th September 2020 at 09:20.

Well Moore was around 60 when he appeared in his last Bond. Though he had an odd look about him as though the eye lift hadn't gone quite right or the botox wasn't the right strength.

Not sure how old Connery was in his last one, mid 50s perhaps?
    Official one he was mid-30s I think?

As for Moore, he mentions in one of his books chatting up the Bond girl on his last film when she pointed out she was the mum of the Bond girl....
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 24th September 2020 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Tom Hardy has been my choice all along. No. 2 would be Charlie Hunnam: just turned 40; handsome; intelligent; muscular; 6' 1"...

I like Charlie but just wish he'd pick an accent and stick to it instead of trying to show off his whole range every few sentences.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Official one he was mid-30s I think?
    He would have been about 40 when Diamonds Are Forever was filmed.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

When it comes to talking about the age Moore and Connery reached in the role the point that is being missed is that the staged fight scenes and stunts in the old films were extremely tame compared to the Craig outings, he does take repeated hard landings etc the other two never had to. I seem to remember an interview in which he said it took him six months to recover from a Bond movie.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    There is zero good reason for Eon to release any information about this or to even have confirmed who the next bond is internally.

I’m saying BS on this. Unless its from a press release from Eon I’d ignore it.

Craftsman
    I'd like to see Dan Stevens as Bond, I think he'd be excellent.

What about a Geordie Bond?

How old is Jimmy Nail?

What about a Geordie Bond?

How old is Jimmy Nail?

Why aye man! The nairm's Bond, Jimmy Bond like!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Thought this was quite funny.
    Attachment 18337

Master
    New Bond film release put back to Apr 2021 now.

So 3 and a 1/2 years before we see a new Bond on the screen maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    New Bond film release put back to Apr 2021 now.

So 3 and a 1/2 years before we see a new Bond on the screen maybe?
    Just my opinion but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the franchise had a fallow period and the audience got a break too and we don't see the next one until 2025, speaking as a fan of the books and movies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Just my opinion but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the franchise had a fallow period and the audience got a break too and we don't see the next one until 2025, speaking as a fan of the books and movies.
    I'd like a complete reboot set it in the 1950's.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Great call
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I’d love that, think it would be an excellent idea. Love to see more western type films like Outlaw Josey Wales and Fistful of Dollars etc.

Sadly I don’t see the studios doing it - it seems very much Marvel and Superhero type films with huge budgets and special effects.

I have been thinking about this more than I should which is surprising to me as I’m not really that much of a Bond fan. Let’s face it, as far as fast quipping laconic loners go, he’s no Philip Marlow. But, like it or not, and for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts.

Bond is a state sanctioned thug, he’s boorish, sexist and superior. He has upper middle class tastes and aspirations to be a member of the elite. Really he represents Fleming’s patrician values and to my mind, should be played as such. After all it should be will known by now that he’s Fleming’s Freudian wet dream alter ego, and he looks like Hoagy Carmichael (as far as we’ve previously established).

Now Tom Hardy is a fine actor, and his role as Ricky Tarr in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is probably the closest to Bond in his oeuvre. But he still looks and sounds like one of those Public School boys who affect an estuary accent. And, try as he might, I don’t think he can pull off aloof, elegant and patrician. Not convincingly in my book.

So Hardy aside, who is a good candidate?

One thing that comes up in connection with Hardy (and other candidates) is age. IIRC Fleming states Bind is thirty five, the ideal age: young enough to be an action man (no doubt with fully gripping hands and realistic hair) and mature enough to have at least one strategic thought in his head. One thought only mark you, straight from A to B for Bond. None of that tricky working through the alternatives in a Holmesian fashion for him.

But thirty five in 1945, for a man exposed to the rigours of war probably looks a lot more like forty five and so our actor can afford to look a little older. To me, Connery looked more forty to forty five than he did thirty five anyway. But maybe that’s just me. At my age everyone is starting to look alarmingly young.

Now the thing that keeps me coming back to Bond (probably Fleming actually) is Bond’s acerbic wit and mordant eye. Today’s Bond has descended into Clinton Greetings Card territory (seriously EON enough with the weak puns treat your audience with some respect). Let’s not forget at the stoke of Flemings pen, Bond is capable of zingers like these:

‘Most marriages don't add two people together. They subtract one from the other.’

‘Before a man's forty, girls cost nothing. After that you have to pay money, or tell a story. Of the two, it's the story that hurts most. Anyway I'm not forty yet’

‘Worry is a dividend paid to disaster before it is due.’

‘Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make bored.’

Now admittedly some of these are internal monologue, but you catch my drift?

So you need an actor that can deliver lines like these, with a modicum of elan. I’m thinking, dry, taciturn and not a little elegant with a facade of dangerous Etonian fop.

So, if you’re still reading, who fits this bill?

For me it’s this fella: Matthew Goode

You’re welcome.

Oh and EON, it might be time to start thinking about making Bond films historical dramas and out them back into the past in which they belong. Frankly, they its getting to be a bit of a stretch shoe horning post imperial Bond into a post modern world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You put together a compelling case, can't say I've seen the lad act, and fully agree with rebooting the franchise back to the 50s-60s, one of the reasons I enjoyed The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was that they kept the period in the 1960s.
    Last edited by number2; 3rd October 2020 at 13:44.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    My wife loves him in Discovery of Witches, he was also in Downton Abbey - he’s be ideal for a 50’s reboot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    ...I enjoyed The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was that they kept the period in the 1960s.
    Likewise.

Maybe it’s time to give up on the whole sorry franchise. The fact is it’s been in managed decline since the high water mark that was Moonraker.

I think Rowan Atkinson would have been a better Bond than some actors who have played the role. It's a shame he did Johnny English.

Master
    I started thinking about how a period reboot would handle product placement. I found this interesting article about Product Placement in Mad Men: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-boost/392330/