closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 17" Laptop workstation choices - any recommendations?

17" Laptop workstation choices - any recommendations?

I know many aren't, but I'm a big fan of HP laptops. We've had them in work for 15+ years and my own Pavillion dv7 i7 17" is approaching 9 years old and still serving me well. It runs every day for I'm sure 12 hours a day./

I'm looking to pre-emptively replace it. I use this as a desktop replacement, so ideal spec is as follows:

17" FH screen
    2 x HDD's - 1 SSD for Win10 1 x 1TB+ for file storage
    Must have a serviceable base with hatches so I can get to the RAM and HDDs easily.

I'm thinking a used/refurb Elitebook Workstation is probably best. I use Adobe CC / Photoshop and do a fair bit of video editing, so a CAD spec workhorse is what I'm after. If it ran MS Flight Simulator that'd be a bonus! I've bought a few 14" Elitebooks for friends/family recently and they are REALLY nicely made things. Super fast but very well constructed.

Any suggestions for places to find one? I've trawled eBay and came away more confused than when I started!!

Dell make one ( forget the name )

i had one in the past a few years back.

You have to pay attention to specs and age of parts if buying used.

If buying new you just need a huge wallet because there not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Dell make one ( forget the name )

i had one in the past a few years back.

You have to pay attention to specs and age of parts if buying used.

If buying new you just need a huge wallet because there not cheap.
    Dell Precision seems to be the equivalent on eBay. The biggest problem with these listings is the lack of age. Plenty about spec... Nothing about how old.

Master
    What's your budget? I always ask the seller for the tag number which you can enter into the Dell service page & pull up all the details about the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What's your budget? I always ask the seller for the tag number which you can enter into the Dell service page & pull up all the details about the laptop.
    I'd been looking at new HP pavillion 17" gaming laptops. £899 for an i5 with 1060 dedicated graphics. i7 pushes that over the £1k line.

That's when I switched to cheapskate mode and wondered would I be able to pickup a used workstation/cad machine. Maybe £500 or so?

If I'm going to end up with something ancient, I may be as well to revert to plan A and get a new machine with extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Dell Precision seems to be the equivalent on eBay. The biggest problem with these listings is the lack of age. Plenty about spec... Nothing about how old.
    Try to ask for the specific CPU and Graphics card model numbers to try to date it.

Look them up to see when they were first released.

If they refuse to tell you or dont give you a straight answer then dont buy from them.

They should be open and honest about part models because it matters totally what parts it has.

Dont accept generic answers like its an i7.
    There are 9 or 10 generation of those and various ones per generation so it is useless info to say its an i7

It's been a little while now since I've purchased anything through the Dell Outlet (refurbs/returns), but I've made a couple of very satisfactory purchases there in the past. It can be well worth spending a bit of time watching the stock, as it turns over fairly quickly and the configurations can be quite varied.

I have an Alienware M17x R3 which has separate SSD for OS & programs plus a non SSD for data. i7 plus an AM Radeon graphics processor too and plenty of ports.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    It's been a little while now since I've purchased anything through the Dell Outlet (refurbs/returns), but I've made a couple of very satisfactory purchases there in the past.
    Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I have an Alienware M17x R3 which has separate SSD for OS & programs plus a non SSD for data. i7 plus an AM Radeon graphics processor too and plenty of ports.
    Nice spec! I'm sure that flies....

Will check out the Dell outlet now. Thanks.