closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Le Mans

Le Mans

The last fast race, who’s watching

Watching here, enjoyed the hyperpole qualifying format.

Yup.

I’ve told the wife that the TV is mine for the next 24 hours. 藍

Would usually be there!

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Yup.

I’ve told the wife that the TV is mine for the next 24 hours. 藍

Would usually be there!
    Can’t believe Martin is on holiday in his camper van

I'm watching, and hoping that Rebellion can get the job done in LMP1, but it's unlikely.

We're an hour into the race, and somehow the Kolles car still seems to be running, but I'm sure that it won't last much longer. For those who don't know, Colin Kolles appears to have whatever the opposite of the Midas touch is, and had a short career in Formula 1, in charge of one of the incarnations of Spyker/Midland and Hispania, and has, in recent years, applied his talents to his own team in the WEC.

GTE Pro usually makes for good watching, and a few decent dices - apparently the Aston Martins have won the annual weight-break lottery this year, and the Porsches have been awarded an extra 40kg to carry around for 24 hours.

If anybody wants to follow the race, and doesn't have access to Eurosport, try the Radio Le Mans website, which should at least have audio commentary.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Thanks BP, seems like that website has three channels and you can play them in the background from a phone. Perfect.

I was starting to think it was a bit processional, but it woken up now , is it going to be a 24 hour sprint race between the 51 Ferrari and 97 Aston

For those interested in who is leading https://live.24h-lemans.com/fr/live

Given only 4 cars have entered LMP1 I can confidently predict the winner will be either a Toyota or Rebellion.

The GTE classification looks a bit more exciting as it’s a 3 way between Ferrari, AM and Porsche. Disappointed that Corvette and Ford didn’t show this year.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Can’t believe Martin is on holiday in his camper van
    Haha. I spoke to him this morning. Loser. I think he forgot it was on.

Toyota have great form at losing, so I wouldn’t rule out Rebellion. Would love to see the Swiss guys take a win. Probably their best chance ever!

They need to put up a list of who’s broke

Master
    Are Alonso and Button racing here this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Given only 4 cars have entered LMP1 I can confidently predict the winner will be either a Toyota or Rebellion.
    Given the attrition rate at Le Mans, it is entirely possible that none of the four LMP1 cars will finish the race, so your confidence may be misplaced...

(This would have been my 19th Le Mans - first went in 1994. Watching on Eurosport but listening to Radio Le Mans).

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Are Alonso and Button racing here this year?
    Not this year.

Been watching some if the coverage on Eurosport, does all look a bit odd without spectators.

Does anyone know why the race started at 2.30pm local time instead of the usual 3pm?

Edit - just read that it may be due to the TDF finishing tomorrow, the change of start time was so that the finish times of both events won't clash and will allow for TV coverage for both.
    Last edited by CardShark; 20th September 2020 at 02:03.

Toyota have great form at losing, so I wouldn’t rule out Rebellion. Would love to see the Swiss guys take a win. Probably their best chance ever!
    Turbo trouble for the No.7 Toyota...

Fingers crossed for Aston Martin, leading both classes

Perfect companion for the race this morning, channeling my inner Steve McQueen.

7 Toyota cursed again, how unlucky can you get

DiResta V Davidson for LMP2 honours now, I wonder if Sky will make a big deal of it next weekend

Well done Toyota, United Autosports must be Euphoric ,

Good race!

Defo going again next year. If we’re allowed.

Thoroughly enjoyed the race. I have no idea what time I bailed last night as I was very, very drunk. Hopefully I'll be there in person in nine month's time!

Great day for Aston Martin in GTE and lot of retired Ferrari’s.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Great day for Aston Martin in GTE and lot of retired Ferrari’s.
    Imagine retiring with a few hundred metres to go

- - - Updated - - -

Good race!

Defo going again next year. If we’re allowed.
    I wonder how Graham D feels about it deep down, probably the closest he will ever get

And that's the end of LMP1. From the start Audi pretty much had their way, Bentley popped up for a win in 2003 (with a load of Audi/Joest team members switching over to them for just that one year), Pescarolo tried and failed, Peugeot mostly failed (and they played dirty in 2008) but finally made it work in 2009, we had Porsche return to win in 2016 (Porsche, Toyota and Audi LMP1s all racing - it was fantastic), the last lap failure of the Toyota in 2017 and three years of Toyota's hollow wins because they had no creditible opposition. I loved the R8, even though it never had any decent competition but the R18 was amazing. So fast and yet all you could hear was the sound of the tyres and ripping air.

I just wish they'd forget about the LMP2 category, remove the restrictors for GTE Pro and let them have 650bhp, make it the GT1 category again (albeit for works teams only) and let them have an equal chance against a new prototype category for privateers. Then import the GT3 category that races at Bathurst etc, so we'd get to see the Bentley Continental GT3s, McLarens, BMWs, Mercedes, Nissan GTRs, 911 GT3s and so on and make that the main privateer team category instead of LMP2. I still want to see the likes of Oreca and Dallara making prototypes but the LMP2s are so bloody boring. They look the same and with the same Gibson engine, change gear in exactly the same place, lift off in exactly the same place and just sound like a swarm of bees when they go past.

But, it's the ACO, and why would they want to play with all the other children?
    "A man of little significance"

I wonder if they had an anything goes class what the outcome would be, sort of tortoise and hare