closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: White gold speedmaster value?

Craftsman

White gold speedmaster value?

I’ve had a bit of a hankering for a white gold watch and missed out on a white gold speedy a couple of years ago as I really didn’t know what it was worth.

I may have the chance of another but would appreciate if any of you guys would help with an indication of what a reasonable price would be. It’s a Broad Arrow 42mm on leather. Not sure of age, at least 10 years old or so. It is in very good condition.

If I needed to move it on in the future would it be a difficult sell?

Thanks

Neil

Craftsman
    My thoughts are that gold Omegas will not be the easiest to shift..... omegas in steel is closer to their value proportion.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The market for solid gold Omega Sports watches is thin and rarified. For white gold, which is currently a little out of favour even more so. That and the fact the model you saw was a Co-ax Broad arrow rather than a Moonwatch mean that it could indeed be tricky to move on and figuring out a fair price tricky. The original 1960s yellow gold BA 145.022 models fetch £30-50k and the recent rerelease £20-25k but a modern WG non Moonwatch Speedmaster model maybe more like £8-10K at a guess.

You'll need to do your homework, you could get stuck with a white (gold) elephant. I have a steel Broad Arrow and love it, but they don't shift quickly as no one knows what they are and purists don't like the date window and fact it is auto. In reality the movement is much more sophisticated and impressive than the comparatively agricultural 1861 but there is less of a Moon connection so lower recognition.
    Last edited by Padders; 19th September 2020 at 10:48.

Master
    All depends on the price. What will it set you back, and can you post a picture of the same model

Master
    I traded a YG speedmaster for about £3k, admittedly it needed a service but was absolutely beautiful and a full set. Might give you an idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I traded a YG speedmaster for about £3k, admittedly it needed a service but was absolutely beautiful and a full set. Might give you an idea.
    That was presumably a Reduced or Date model? If so, different gravy. The Broad Arrow/BA Co-ax models use the full size Moonwatch Pro 022 case but a different movement.
    Last edited by Padders; 19th September 2020 at 11:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    That was presumably a Reduced or Date model? If so, different gravy. The Broad Arrow/BA Co-ax models use the full size Moonwatch Pro 022 case but a different movement.
    Yep, it was a triple date.

I'm not an expert but for a brief period, I did do a little research and the Broad Arrow is a much more attractive proposition than the Triple Date.

True, it isn't a Moonwatch but they are common and if someone is looking for a BA, nothing else will do. So far, so good.

I can only speak personally and gold Speedies are a no-no. It's a bridge too far. WG is much better as it's similar at a glance to steel but that means your market is restricted to those who don't mind paying more for something that pretty much looks the same.

I'd go for it but only after I'd found at least five examples and worked out the average sales price. Then you know roughly what you should pay.

The Broad Arrow have been launched in 2002, the white gold is less common than the yellow or red gold version..the RRP of the white gold used to be 2k more than other gold metal....price wise I think 6-7K...make sure you find a serviced example as the 3303 was a bit problematic in the early days
    Last edited by cirotti; 19th September 2020 at 13:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    The Broad Arrow have been launched in 2002, the white gold is less common than the yellow or red gold version..the RRP of the white gold used to be 2k more than other gold metal....price wise I think 6-7K...make sure you find a serviced example as the 3303 was a bit problematic in the early days
    Yes, I am beginning to think I may have been over generous in my price range above, perhaps yours is nearer the mark. There is a yellow gold broad arrow for sale on C24 for ~£8,500 and prices there are usually inflated for retail so you might be right.

Craftsman
    This is same as the one I was looking at, they want around £6k. Its looking like it's too much by around £1.5k if I'm reading you right.

20/25yrs ago I had a rose gold triple date (reduced size to moonwatch) which I bought new and it was around £4k.

I quite like the idea of an under the radar gold watch.