closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about a Damasko

Master

Thinking about a Damasko

Hi
    I’ve been spending more and more time looking at Damasko.

I’m normally a 3 hander type of person but for some reason have been drawn to their chronos.

So under consideration are both the white and black dials of the below

I guess the white or black dial decision is more personal choice but would be good to get any opinions.

Also both offer Si variants which are a bit more expensive. Are they worth the money?

Additionally are the bracelets worth purchasing. I tend to wear NATO’s more often these days as I just scratch up bracelets but with the ice hardened treatment they sound more robust than normal?

Lastly I think the resale values are quite a lot less than new. I’d rather buy new but having just found work after a few months of redundancy I’m a bit nervous of potentially needing to move it on at some point in the future if needs be and taking a bath on the price.

Any thoughts on the above appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me i would buy used, i would not get chrono, i would get steel bracelet and Si i would not bother with.

If a keeper, buy new, otherwise used. I’d say
    I’ve had 3 , all were unmarked and pleasingly accurate
    DA46 was my personal favourite, a nice watch.
    Sinn have become more to my liking and have a couple of those still.

I had a DA47 for years and loved it. It didn't have a mark on it when I sold it, and I wore it a lot for all sorts of jobs. The 'ice-hardening' process did the job.

It does wear bigger than 40mm though. This was an older watch so I have no idea what the quality is like now.

Have a DA37 back from when Eddie used to sell them. Never been mothered. Still completely unmarked to this day. Was the most accurate watch I owned but the power reserve has started to diminish slightly so could probably do with a service, which to be fair is probably due after a decade or so
    Great watches IMO

I have a DA37 (2005) and a DC56 (2008) both from Eddie, although the 37 was bought privately from a forum member in 2006. I also had a DC67 at one point, the Damasko bezel action is superb. I like to think that Damasko are apart from the money fuelled nonsense of Rolex etc and that people buy them for long haul ownwership and appreciation of good design and build quality. The full lume dials go from a creamy, almost parchment like look to a green lume and all shades between. The DC 8* range are calling to me now but I'd have to sell a few to afford one, which I'm loath to do. Time was they lived on leather, butI've been wearing mine on a range of Haveston canvas for quite a while now.

F.T.F.A.

Love my two Damaskos and doubt they'll be the last I'll buy. There's always demand for used examples, and they age better than almost any other brand (ditto Sinn and a handful of others), so it bemuses me that they depreciate as much as they do. You'll need some patience to pick-up a used example.

Not sure how much real world benefit you'd see from the silicon hairspring, doesn't strike me as likely to be £500's worth.

The bracelet is delightful, it's double the price of the Sinn equivalent, but it's double the standard, IME. It is damned expensive though, and all the Damaskos I've seen are real strapwhores - the DC57 I have looks good on everything, so I'd perhaps find the right head and add the bracelet later.

Just in case you're not already overrun with choice - I found Damasko themselves very responsive to requests for custom options.

Though I've not dealt with them, Chronomaster have pretty keen prices and a good rep.

The big problem with Damasko is their customer service and customer treatment.

Check out the Damasko forum on Watchuseek, there's plenty of horror stories including one of mine.

The second big problem is their proprietary tech, whether it's movement mods or their steel, it goes wrong and you're stuck dealing with the company. They refused to replace parts on my watch that had surface rust and pitting.

Also beware aware that when they ship watches after repair, they just chuck them loose in a cardboard box. They've also added wording to their Watch Passport to state that the shiny marks on cases and bracelets (from poor handling) are not a defect. They routinely send new stock with cosmetic defects and then the retailer gets a bad rep.

Stick with a mainstream brand, Damasko doesn't deserve anybody's custom, their attitude is appalling and they just churn their retailers, blaming faults on them and not taking responsibility. They are unbelievablely bad and lacking in human decency.
    Last edited by AKM; 18th September 2020 at 23:48.

It you get an Si with the silicon hairspring, it will keep worse time than the stock movement in most other brands. It will be erratic and then become well out of chronometer specs.

You have to wait before you can send your Si under warranty, as there's a running in period in the warranty / instruction booklet.

Once fixed under warranty, it'll be good. But it's a pity they don't work out of the box. Other owners, on Watchuseek have the same issue.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I recently got the DC56: black chrono, no bezel. It feels like a really well engineered watch. Really smooth crown, everything’s really solid, antimagnetic protection...Apparently the bezel action in the ones you’ve posted is amazing.

Personally, I don’t see the point in the Si upgrade as I’m not that fussed about that level of chronometry, but your opinion may be different.

I did try the bracelet in a CW Sellors. It was fantastic but very expensive relative to the cost of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The big problem with Damasko is their customer service and customer treatment.

Check out the Damasko forum on Watchuseek, there's plenty of horror stories including one of mine.

The second big problem is their proprietary tech, whether it's movement mods or their steel, it goes wrong and you're stuck dealing with the company. They refused to replace parts on my watch that had surface rust and pitting.

Also beware aware that when they ship watches after repair, they just chuck them loose in a cardboard box. They've also added wording to their Watch Passport to state that the shiny marks on cases and bracelets (from poor handling) are not a defect. They routinely send new stock with cosmetic defects and then the retailer gets a bad rep.

Stick with a mainstream brand, Damasko doesn't deserve anybody's custom, their attitude is appalling and they just churn their retailers, blaming faults on them and not taking responsibility. They are unbelievablely bad and lacking in human decency.

So apart from that great watches.

Joking aside its interesting to hear this kind of customer experience as I have always thought they were great watches.

The customer service issues are what have put me off so far, as I would inevitably buy a used one. I’ll stick with Sinn.

They are definitely great watches and I still miss mine as there's nothing out there to replace it.

They've just no grasp on customer service and are staggeringly arrogant, particularly by being in complete denial of their fallibility.

I visited Watchuseek the other week to see if things had moved on and whether anyone had received the new Dc86. I found a thread from a guy who'd ordered a strap from Damasko, only to find it was defective and looked melted. He says that Damasko accused him of damaging it himself. Then I saw another thread about a break-in in the Damasko factory that involved stock being vandalised with fire extinguishers. It's all very strange.

On Watchuseek there's the retailer Watchmann, who seems to absorb losses by doing his own repairs and exchanging faulty wathes with new stock - he seems to bend over backwards. It seems to be the level of customer support you need.

Have to say my own experience of Damasko's customer service could not be less like AKM's, they bent over backwards to make the watch I wanted for only a tiny surcharge, and when it emerged there had been a miscommunication, they sorted it quickly at their own expense and with both huge apologies and armloads of freebies.

As for durability, I do wonder why the corrosion was an issue, my own watches are worn when I garden (and ours is a vast wilderness involving nothing but heavy labour), felling trees, sorting livestock and paddock land, DIY, building, dog-walks in all weathers, cooking, cleaning, servicing my car, &c. ad nasueam - they get wet and all kinds of horrific grot on them, and so far no trace of corrosion or damage of any sort.

I wonder if a mis-described batch of steel may underlie the corrosion issue? In any case, this does not seem to be a commonplace issue - there are dozens of Damaskos on this site alone, but only seems to be one person unlucky enough to have experienced this.

As for poor customer service, there's no excuse, though I gather there are now some new faces onboard front-of-house at Damasko, so hopefully the issue will have followed the ex-employee/s out of the door...

Craftsman
    I noticed that on the Damasko website , most of their 3 hand watches were showing as unavailable.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...nd-models/?p=1

This put me off buying new in case the current range of 3 handers are being discontinued. ( To be clear, I don't know this for certain and I can't see an announcement to that effect on the website. It just looks strange when a large chunk of their product lines are unavailable. If anyone has any more/better information, please add it to the thread. )

About a month ago, I put a WTB out for a Damasko. Someone responded and I bought this DA38 second hand. So far I'm very happy with it and I couldn't see any scratches on the case when I got it.

My suggestion would be to have a look at second hand in the first instance.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I noticed that on the Damasko website , most of their 3 hand watches were showing as unavailable.
    I'm sure that I read somewhere that this is due to Damasko not being able to source certain ETA movements. In anticipation of this they have been working on their own 3 hander calibre.

Just to add, I have the entry level DS30 and it's fabulous. The submarine steel appears to be genuinely scratch resistant. The more expensive models (excluding the sub line) use ice hardened steel which is even more hardy. As a result the cases don't tend to age so, together with the initial drop in residuals (like most everything else non Rolex), they make excellent second hand buys. As far as I can tell, being relatively rare they tend to hold their values after the initial loss. I think what I'm saying is go for a used version if possible!

I think mine is a DA36 (but might be a DA38)

Fantastic watch, that when checked on a Timegrapher - had the best plot of all my watches.

Master
    Damasko customer service has been good ime and their proprietary steel hardening seals the deal for me as a day to day watch. The ETA models can be serviced in the UK if the seals don't need replacing and even if they do the seals can be purchased from them directly I think it through chronomaster (who will also service them).

I have a Dc56 Si and it keeps good time, although as I haven't put it on the timegrapher. My DA47 is good too, although recently serviced. The Si is super smooth to wind but other than that I think the main differences are that you're getting many of the innovations of the full in house
    movement at a lower cost, such as non-magnetic escapement and better shock resistance. I don't think that would be worth the premium to me but value and watches is subjective!

I'd buy second hand as great vfm, little depreciation thereafter and highly likely it'll look like new.

... If anyone has any more/better information, please add it to the thread ...
    Forgive me singling you out, but I see this kind of statement all the time on forums and it genuinely puzzles me - why not just give the manufacturer a call, or email them? Then you'll know for sure.

I do love the brand. I really have nothing negative to say.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Forgive me singling you out, but I see this kind of statement all the time on forums and it genuinely puzzles me - why not just give the manufacturer a call, or email them? Then you'll know for sure.
    In my experience, Damasko often don't reply to such requests. Asking on a forum is a better bet.

Craftsman
    I think if I was the OP looking to buy a Damasko, contacting the manufacturer directly about their watch availability would be a good course of action. However I'm not the OP and I don't think it's my job to contact Damasko on his/her behalf, as you seem to be suggesting. I bought a Damasko about a month ago and I'm not planning to get in touch with them, unless there's a problem (so far none - touch wood.)

I did pass on some information from their website which I hoped would be helpful but I did want to clarify that I only know what Damasko have put on their website and if I've got something wrong, then I'm happy to be corrected. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum who can do that. Going forward, I can use a alternative form of words to make that clear. If you've got any wording suggestions, happy to hear them.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...nd-models/?p=1

This put me off buying new in case the current range of 3 handers are being discontinued. ( To be clear, I don't know this for certain and I can't see an announcement to that effect on the website. It just looks strange when a large chunk of their product lines are unavailable. If anyone has any more/better information, please add it to the thread. )

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
    I owned a Damsko DA47 black a few years ago and as far as I can remember this is always been the case with Damasko. They are a relatively low volume watch producer and as such struggle to get parts/movements at certain times of the year. I doubt they would 'discontinue' the three handed versions as that is their bread and butter in regard to sales.

For the record, the bezel action on my '47 was the best bezel action I have encountered on a watch and if you like black coating on a watch, then the Damasko is probably one of the best out there in terms of durability.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I do love the brand. I really have nothing negative to say.

OK, I'll bite, why two seemingly-identical watches (straps excepted)?

I think if I was the OP looking to buy a Damasko, contacting the manufacturer directly about their watch availability would be a good course of action. However I'm not the OP and I don't think it's my job to contact Damasko on his/her behalf, as you seem to be suggesting. I bought a Damasko about a month ago and I'm not planning to get in touch with them, unless there's a problem (so far none - touch wood.)

I did pass on some information from their website which I hoped would be helpful but I did want to clarify that I only know what Damasko have put on their website and if I've got something wrong, then I'm happy to be corrected. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum who can do that. Going forward, I can use a alternative form of words to make that clear. If you've got any wording suggestions, happy to hear them.
    Apologies, I intended no offence, your post sounded like *you* were interested, hence the question.

One is a standard model. The other is a Gnomon supplied model when Gnomon were the only supplier of the DSUB1. You couldn't buy one directly from Damasko back in 2017.

They look identical but there are very subtle differences between both DSUB1's.

I’ve had a DC66 & a DA38 in the past, beautifully built watches. Would certainly have another, looking forward to the in-house movements that apparently are on the way for the 3-hand models though that will doubtless bring the prices up.
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    I’ve had a DC66 & a DA38 in the past, beautifully built watches. Would certainly have another, looking forward to the in-house movements that apparently are on the way for the 3-hand models though that will doubtless bring the prices up.
    Steve

I've heard that there is going to be a significant price increase this year.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think mine is a DA36 (but might be a DA38)

Fantastic watch, that when checked on a Timegrapher - had the best plot of all my watches.
    If the seconds hand is blue, it’s the 38, the 36 uses a shade of yellow.
    Cheers
    Steve

Craftsman
    Love my DA46, most worn watch. Would happily buy another, especially now Chronomaster are selling them.

I had good experience with their customer services, watch wasn’t charging fully but was within two years so spoke to the seller who was utterly useless (P&C). So went direct to damasko who took on the repair and sorted it with no issues. It was returned well packed.

One is a standard model. The other is a Gnomon supplied model when Gnomon were the only supplier of the DSUB1. You couldn't buy one directly from Damasko back in 2017.

They look identical but there are very subtle differences between both DSUB1's.

From the picture, the bezel insert lines up differently with the bezel knurling and the crowns look different. I'd guess the case back inscription is different too.

Are there any other differences?

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    From the picture, the bezel insert lines up differently with the bezel knurling and the crowns look different. I'd guess the case back inscription is different too.

Are there any other differences?

The crown's are identical. They look different in my photograph due to light reflecting off the crown on the watch on the right.

Damasko align the insert on the bezel in either of the positions you mentioned.

They made the bezel pip a little higher. Better lume quality perhaps?

The earlier model does have a deeper case back engraving. Nothing wrong with the latest model.

Different bezel actions but both are superb.

Slightly different finish to the case back.

As I said, it is subtle differences only seen when both watches are in front of you.

One example:
    Last edited by j111dja; 22nd September 2020 at 20:00.

Craftsman

Apologies, I intended no offence, your post sounded like *you* were interested, hence the question.

Accepted. Thanks very much for being so gracious about it.

Accepted. Thanks very much for being so gracious about it.
    I was waiting for the question via the thread as I also received the same question via PM. I must have far too much spare time on my hands.
    Last edited by j111dja; 22nd September 2020 at 20:40.

...looking forward to the in-house movements that apparently are on the way for the 3-hand models...
    Interesting - is this additional to the current DK-prefix range? Do you have a source for the info if so?

I was waiting for the question via the thread as I also received the same question via PM. I must have far too much spare time on my hands.
    And no criticism is implied in my question - far from it, as it's a model in the top 3 of my own wish-list to acquire at some point. Your post made me wonder what underlay this collecting decision, especially if there were characteristics that made one version stand-out over and above another.

Interesting - is this additional to the current DK-prefix range? Do you have a source for the info if so?

And no criticism is implied in my question - far from it, as it's a model in the top 3 of my own wish-list to acquire at some point. Your post made me wonder what underlay this collecting decision, especially if there were characteristics that made one version stand-out over and above another.
    Hi - here’s the article I read a few months ago, talks about a new movement for late 2020..

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/d...s-a26.5173267/

It was more fate than any decision to own two DSUB1's at the same time. I tried to find a Gnomon version for two years and gave up. I them bought a new one, and of course several days later I had the chance to buy the DSUB1 sold exclusively by Gnomon.

It was nothing to do with any physical differences or characteristics. It was to do with personal choice. Neither stands out over the other.

Both are built like a tank and the legibility is second to none. The crown and bezel designs are second to none. It's well worth reading about. I copied and pasted this via the official website:

The unidirectional bezel has a patented bezel construction with ceramic ball bearings which prevents an unintentional readjustment of the elapsed diving time. The essential decompression phases can be exact and easily planned. The DAMASKO crown system can be used without any problems under water.
    Last edited by j111dja; 22nd September 2020 at 22:45.

Hi - here’s the article I read a few months ago, talks about a new movement for late 2020..

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/d...s-a26.5173267/
    Ah, thanks for that

It was more fate than any decision to own two DSUB1's at the same time. I tried to find a Gnomon version for two years and gave up. I them bought a new one, and of course several days later I had the chance to buy the DSUB1 sold exclusively by Gnomon.

It was nothing to do with any physical differences or characteristics. It was to do with personal choice. Neither stands out over the other.

Both are built like a tank and the legibility is second to none. The crown and bezel designs are second to none. It's well worth reading about. I copied and pasted this via the official website:

The unidirectional bezel has a patented bezel construction with ceramic ball bearings which prevents an unintentional readjustment of the elapsed diving time. The essential decompression phases can be exact and easily planned. The DAMASKO crown system can be used without any problems under water.
    Interesting. There is certainly something very compelling about owning both versions.

Craftsman
    I was curious so I emailed Damasko about their three handed watches and when they might become available. They replied that "Some of the models will definitely be available again with some new models. We planned for end of November, lets see if we can make it.."

Hopefully this might be helpful.

Journeyman
    Got a DA36 when it it was the bees knees. Great entry level watch into the hobby. Exchanged it for a DA46. Great bezel action, bi-directional, held in place with ball bearings.

From 2015 they started printing Made in Germany on the three-hand models. I personally am not a fan because of the typeface and size of the print.

At 40mm, the DA36 wears large. At 42mm, the DA46 also wears large. It's a stylish tool watch if you're a big and tall person.

Because it's your money, I'm going to suggest to you the flagship DC66 Si Black. It's 44mm, 22mm lug width, so too big for me. Nice splash of red. Has all of Damasko technologies in one flagship watch.