closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr Martens anyone??

Master

Dr Martens anyone??

I haven't worn DMs since the 80's when I was at school but quite fancy a pair of boots again. Mainly because I like things like boots to be hard wearing and comfortable and I like the look of them.

Anyone else wearing them again after many many years? What is the quality like these days? Is it worth the extra for the English Made ones?

Colour-wise, it would be black, oxblood or navy if I got a pair.

Or, is it best left in the 80's and my school-days?

Cheers

Probably not in the same category but I bought some dm's on Tuesday as screwfix are now selling their safety boots. Had to size down on them but they are by far the comfiest and most stylish work boot I've ever owned.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I haven't worn DMs since the 80's when I was at school but quite fancy a pair of boots again. Mainly because I like things like boots to be hard wearing and comfortable and I like the look of them.

Anyone else wearing them again after many many years? What is the quality like these days? Is it worth the extra for the English Made ones?

Cheers
    It's another "rabbit hole", I've only recently started wearing DMs again - but I've noticed the following.
    1) The Made in England range is getting smaller and quite expensive.
    2) The leather of boots and shoes made in the far East seems thinner and less hard wearing,
    3) There are a lot of hooky websites selling fakes.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Due to requirements for safety shoes at the chemical sites where I work, I've worn DM shoes for the last twenty years. I used to get five years off a pair of shoes before they started to split or I wore the soles out (my job entails a lot of walking). The last three pairs have lasted two years before they needed replacing. I returned the last pair to DM through our work PPE supplier saying I was disappointed they had worn out so soon. I got a letter back saying the shoes had been 'mistreated' and questioning what I had done to them. Luckily our PPE supplier gave me a new pair as a goodwill gesture but I doubt my next pair of site shoes will be DMs.

When I looked online at reviews and comments it seems that sadly they are not made with longevity in mind, they are made in China to a budget.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I’ll say it before anyone else does, Solovair boots are more like the DMs of your youth. All but the premium pairs of DMs are overpriced and made in the Far East nowadays.

Master
    I work with a 23 year old wears DMs, they suit her style and I seriously considered a pair but I’m nearly 40 and I felt too old. I’ll stick with English brogues. And to be fair I get a fair few positive comments.

DM has appeared in a few consumer columns in recent times for poor quality and bad customer service.

I bought a pair of their leather desert boots a couple of years ago and had to return them. The inside seam on the heel had been stitched into a rock-hard peak and after one day wearing them my heel was bloodied and bruised. At first, I thought they just needed breaking in so I tried again a few days later with loads of plasters but it was the same. It was only on the third attempt that I noticed the way the seam had been stitched.

I never found out if it was poor design or a manufacture fault because they didn't have any of my size left so I got a refund.

I only really liked that style so probably won't bother with them again. I'm not into the 'bovver' boots.

The made in England ones are ok but the ones made out east are really poor quality, especially if you're comparing them to the ones you wore in the '80's...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Cheers
    I`ve been wearing Docs on and off since i was at school too, 40 years ago.. I was the first kid in our year to wear them...
    I`ve never had a pair of the Made in England jobbies but my most recent pair (and that was quite a few years ago now) were the standard 1460Z`s.
    The quality is a bit `meh`, the glossy and smooth leather does not inspire confidence and overall they are not how i remember them from all those years ago.
    I`ve just done a quick search and if the price i saw was for the `ordinary` ones and not the supposedly superior Made in England version then they are simply not worth it.
    For not a lot more you could bag yourself a pair of Altberg hiking boots for example which are in another league of quality, craftmanship and they truly are `made in England` as standard.

I can’t say I’ve seen the “ made in England “ boots, but the standard ones I have seen don’t seem a patch on the quality of the 80’s boots. The most striking difference to me is the sole. The tread seems to lack any depth and doesn’t look like it would last very long.

Master
    Jon Kenney to the thread please!

Master
    I bought some English made ox blood ones about 8 years ago. They are very nice, did keep the B&P though to sell as a full set when I get fed up with them.....i might even get accused of profiteering as and when ......hopefully

I was wearing back in the seventies at school and then into the 80s, when I stopped. I went back to them a couple of years ago, and I have no idea as to whether mine are the made in Britain ones, but I found them expensive, they need breaking in, the crease formed naturally across the front when walking digs into my smallest tos where it meets the foot. In the winter they are not very warm. They wore quite quickly. I only walk about 30 minutes per day, but they haven't lasted long at all.

It may be that I have been pampered by lightweight trekking boots, and although these don't last as long, around 6 months, they are much more comfortable from the off, and considerably warmer when winter arrives.

DMs, nice styling, but there is much better footwear to be had.

I wear them every day, have done since the 1980s. However, it is true that they're not what they used to be.

I always used to wear a size 8. Some years ago I ordered a new pair and couldn't get my (wide) feet into them. The standard DMs are now being made on a different last.

Someone recommended the 'For Life' boots to me. They fit just like the old ones. They've stopped doing boots for life, but I think the 'Hard Life' ones are similar. Not sure about the sizing though.

Wearing in a new pair always used to be a painful experience, made a little easier by wearing two pairs of socks for the duration. The For Life boots were comfy from new.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 18th September 2020 at 09:23.

DMs have changed A LOT since you last wore them. They now have boutiques.

My oldest pair of DM steel toe capped work boots were bought around 1986 and are on gardening duty before going in the bin due to a few minor splits in the sole.
    The second pair I own were bought in the early 1990's - pictured below.
    I can't vouch for the new ones, but my 35-year old pair from the mid 1980's have had acid & chemicals spilled on them at work over the years, and the tatty looking Nubuck leather is still water proof.
    The soles have hardened and cracked due to old age and loads of abuse.

The soles are wearing a bit thin on the newer pair now.
    They don't make em like they used to.
    The tongue is stitched in to make the lace holes waterproof up to ankle height - great for riding the motorbike to work (or pouring acids from 25-litre containers).

Last edited by Reeny; 17th September 2020 at 23:12.

Dr Martens anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Jon Kenney to the thread please!
    Yeah, nice one, Matt!

Go on then, I'll bite. Ask me anything you like and I'll respond to the best of my knowledge, as long as it doesn't breach IP or copyright. I'll not answer any questions on yet to be released products.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 18th September 2020 at 15:24.

Master
    The first pair I had was in the early 70's when you just had to have them but although I wouldn't have admitted it, the monkey boots I'd had before, were better.
    I've had DM work boots since and they have been better than normal steelies but the last pair that were Made in China were awful.
    My missus got a pair of DM's before last xmas and hasn't managed to break then in yet and they they've skinned her heels.
    I can't remember ever having to break boots or shoes in so I'm not impressed

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    I had some for work a few years ago and the inner sole of the boot collapsed into the sole in less than a year haven’t had any since

How much are a pair of `STD` 8-hole Docs these days?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Yeah, nice one, Mark!

Go on then, I'll bite. Ask me anything you like and I'll respond to the best of my knowledge, as long as it doesn't breach IP or copyright. I'll not answer any questions on yet to be released products.

Jon
    You work for DM?

I wear them regularly; not the 1460’s which I’ve never been able to successfully break in without bloody heels (tried 4 separate times since my first pair in 1995) So I gave up on those and now wear the far more comfy cruise cabriollo range. I say comfy; you wouldn’t want to walk all day in them, but for work (office job) or a day out, they’re comfy enough. I just like the style which is why I put up with the DM discomfort.

PS two of my last pairs (out of 4) in the last 5 years have had problems; one the sole came away and water kept getting inside. And the laces frequently snap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I’ll say it before anyone else does, Solovair boots are more like the DMs of your youth. All but the premium pairs of DMs are overpriced and made in the Far East nowadays.
    I wanted DMs, found that quality had changed considerably in recent times. Bought Solovair. Made in Northampton in the traditional way. Been really pleased with mine.

Dr Martens anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    You work for DM?

I wear them regularly; not the 1460’s which I’ve never been able to successfully break in without bloody heels (tried 4 separate times since my first pair in 1995) So I gave up on those and now wear the far more comfy cruise cabriollo range. I say comfy; you wouldn’t want to walk all day in them, but for work (office job) or a day out, they’re comfy enough. I just like the style which is why I put up with the DM discomfort.

PS two of my last pairs (out of 4) in the last 5 years have had problems; one the sole came away and water kept getting inside. And the laces frequently snap.
    A bit of history.

I worked at DMs from 1993 until 2003. I was the factory manager at the largest Leicester factory.
    In 2003 I was assigned as one of two project leads to manager the transition from UK to China manufacturing. I was assigned to the Pou Chen factory (Zhongshan) which is the largest shoe manufacturer in the world. I was at the YY facility, which at the time was the smallest factory. There were 88,000 workers employed at this particular factory, 90% of them living on site.
    On completion of the project I got out of the footwear business but returned to it in 2014, where I was VP of Manufacturing for a factory in China that produced DM’s.
    I stayed there for four years and then took a year long career break before moving to Vietnam. I am currently employed as Director of Operations for the DM brand. Factory employee, not DM employee.

I manage the business from concept to delivery, and everything in between (design, development, purchasing, commercialization, planning, production, quality and shipping).

I also won’t discuss costings.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 3rd October 2020 at 06:00.

Jon

How did the product change between its UK manufacturing and going abroad? If you can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Jon

How did the product change between its UK manufacturing and going abroad? If you can answer that.
    It didn’t, initially. What most people don’t realise is that They were sourcing stitched uppers from overseas way before the whole manufacturing process moved in 03.

What started to happen was that the factories would locally source materials and components, with many of these suppliers being family or friends. Quality took a turn for the worse because of this and the brand quickly worked towards onboarding tier one and two suppliers to ensured they complied to quality standards.

Now, with any business, costs are important, and with the huge increase in CSR and labour costs across Asia all brands have to look at the materials and processes to reduce those costs.
    If anything has diminished then it would be the corrected leathers. They have the appearance of wellington boots now due the the layers of PU.

That said, the standard of manufacturing that I see now is generally an improvement on what was produced in the UK.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 5th February 2022 at 15:05.

Thanks for an interesting explanation.

In light of my experience with my last pair of DMs, I don't think that I will give them another chance. The soles just didn't have that great cushion feeling that I remember from the past; rose-tinted glasses perhaps, or better boot construction over the last 40 years from competitors.

Thanks to those that have mentioned Solovair. I hadn't heard of them, but I will be measuring my foot this weekend and placing an order.

I've given them enough custom and been let down three times now, I'll be looking elsewhere (unless I retire before the current pair fall to bits!)

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Another recommendation from me on Solovair.

I would say Solovair are way ahead of DM in terms of quality and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Even the factory shop in Wollaston sells the Chinese stuff. The Solovair shop is only just up the road and will most probably be my next pair.
    I do have a pair of Chinese made low chukka boot DMs which are alright, but the sizing is all over the place. I normally wear an 11 and these are a 10 with an insole. Shame DM don't do half sizes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Another recommendation from me on Solovair.

I would say Solovair are way ahead of DM in terms of quality and comfort.
    And another.

I was an 8 hole cherry red man back at school. My first pair in the late 80's were i think around £25 and really good quality and lasted well. Their replacements in the early 90's had a noticeable drop in quality and only lasted a year, combined with a large increase in price, it was the last pair i bought. Dread to think what the quality vs price is like now

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Shame DM don't do half sizes
    They do, but only in 3.5, 6.5 & 9.5

Master
    I am 53 next week. I have never been without a pair of both shoes and boots since I was at secondary school in the early 80s.

I even had pair of their suede trainers while at school too.

A bit similar to you, I got my first pair when starting high/secondary school in late 1980. At that time and for the few years before, DMs were popular with kids and adults, unfortunately being associated with skinheads as well. I had a pair of the 6-eyelet boots, which I wore to school....this also meant that I was more influencial in the playground when playing football!

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I am 53 next week. I have never been without a pair of both shoes and boots since I was at secondary school in the early 80s.

I even had pair of their suede trainers while at school too.

Master
    Yeah, nice one, Mark!

Jon
    Sorry my friend, but knew you’d find it eventually!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Sorry my friend, but knew you’d find it eventually!

Matt
    No idea where ‘Mark’ came from? Sorry mate, I mean Matt. Edited.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    They were de rigueur during virtually my whole time at secondary school.
    In the early 80`s donkey jackets were also very popular.
    Some of the kids had a taste for flat caps..
    We looked like a gaggle of bin men going to school!

Oxblood DMs, grey Sta-Prest trousers and a white Fred Perry polo. Oh and braces, purple. Happy days circa. 1980 and aged 10!

Master
    Never had a donkey jacket but plenty did. I wore a para-smock that my brother nabbed when he was in the regiment.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    They were de rigueur during virtually my whole time at secondary school.
    In the early 80`s donkey jackets were also very popular.
    Some of the kids had a taste for flat caps..
    We looked like a gaggle of bin men going to school!

In the words of my sister who used to love them back in 70`s

There s##t now

Master
    Thanks all.

Seems like quite a few of us has similar memories of wearing them in secondary school. Sta Prest trousers - now there's a memory, along with tonic trousers (or two tone to some).

I remember buying a pair of black DMs from sort of outdoor shop in the local town - about £25 sounds about right, but I can't actually remember as my mum paid for them. My brother once came back with only one boot of a pair, they were about a week old at the time, and mum was not impressed! We still rib him about it now - how can you lose just one boot??

Anyway, hadn't heard of Solovair before but will be looking at them for sure now. They seem to have some styles that I'd like.

Cheers

Journeyman
    I 've never owned a pair of DM's.. Nearest I got was a pair of Monkey Boots as a kid (with my Sta Prest.. think I graduated to Farah's and Diadora Borg Elite's soon after that!).

These days I like Blundstone's and Red Wings.. both very hard wearing and highly recommended.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely fascinating insight Jon. Thanks for sharing.

My first DMs were bought in mid 70s then last pair early 80s. I then found other makes and Loakes shoes!!!

Interesting that an old colleague of mine who wore only solovair Chelsea boot style - and that I’d completely forgotten about till this thread - passed away earlier this week. Spooky!

I was going to return to DMs in recent weeks after 40 years but didn’t like touch and feel - and they didn’t smell the same!!

Jim

It didn’t, initially. What most people don’t realise is that They we’re sourcing stitched uppers from overseas way before the whole manufacturing process moved in 03.

What started to happen was that the factories would locally source materials and components, with many of these suppliers being family or friends. Quality took a turn for the worse because of this and the brand quickly worked towards onboarding tier one and two suppliers to ensured they complied to quality standards.

Now, with any business, costs are important, and with the huge increase in CSR and labour costs across Asia all brands have to look at the materials and processes to reduce those costs.
    If anything has diminished then it would be the corrected leathers. They have the appearance of wellington boots now due the the layers of PU.

That said, the standard of manufacturing that I see now is generally an improvement on what was produced in the UK.

Jon

Craftsman
    I’ve worn DM dealers as a social/jeans boot for over fifty years and they are now strictly a fashion quality boot and O.K. as such but not a work boot. I buy Site(screwfix) £30 dealers for work and they beat the shite outta DMs in a garage workshop enviroment. QED.

They do, but only in 3.5, 6.5 & 9.5
    Oh I see.
    Oh well if I get a 7 and a 3.5 I should be ok

Master
    I found the Rose Anvil Doc's series quite interesting regards comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8R4EPdsSE

I had my last pair of DMs in the late 80s when I was a student at uni. Thirty plus years later I hadn't planned on another pair, but took advantage of a 70% discount on a few rogue pairs in unpopular sizes when passing through John Lewis, just after the store re-opened from Covid lockdown. They may be made in China, but the quality still seems great.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post

Agreed; well worth a watch. Mine have turned out to be the cheap Vietnamese ones.

It looks like care is needed when selecting the Solovair boots. It's vitally important to use the size guide. I am an 8 in the Astronaut (6 hole) boot, and a 9.5 in the Derby (8 hole) boot. Neither have the Gaucho brown in stock. You can sign up to get a message when they come into stock.

Dr Martens anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post

Unlike what the guy says on the video, the smooth 1460s do come with a good year welt as per the link below.

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p...ts-smooth-1460

He tries to come across as some sort of expert, but he didn’t even get the basics right. You can see the welt construction on the boot which makes me worried why he thinks they are glued.

Maybe he knows a little about leather (which is all pretty straightforward anyway), but he cannot spot a good year welted boot from a few cms away.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 19th September 2020 at 21:57.

Grand Master
    bought the wife a pair for work as she's on her feet all day. in the DM shop with feet measuring and at a cost of £140. after two months of trying to break them in, pain, huge blisters and tears they are gathering dust in the bottom of the cupboard. she couldn't walk more than 100 yards in them. they seem much poorer quality than of yore. we'll never buy again.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!