closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Widgets on iOS 14

Apple Widgets on iOS 14

So Apple has launched widgets some ten years or more after Android did it. However, is it only me that thinks they’re really poor? Even pointless?

As an example I’d like a widget on my Home Screen that has all of my methods of communication in it; email, text, WhatsApp etc. Firstly it’s impossible to have all of those apps in the same widget because Apple dictates which apps you can and can’t use in widgets.

Secondly you can’t even move widgets of your choice onto the Home Screen. So my home screen looks the same as it did before iOS 14. What on earth is the point of it?

I agree. I have had a play this evening and reverted to my standard home screen format.

Put all of your communication apps in a folder and call it . . . Comms ?
    F.T.F.A.

That’s what I have. The point of my post is that widgets aren’t what they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Put all of your communication apps in a folder and call it . . . Comms ?

SydR

Apple Widgets on iOS 14

I’ve been using iOS 14 since beta 3 and have numerous useful widgets set up.

Widget support comes from the software developer. Yes Apple do control what they can do to some extent but the developers have to tie into it.
    Last edited by SydR; 17th September 2020 at 20:58.

I’ve set up a few widgets and dumped nearly everything into the App Library, except for half a dozen apps I use regularly (mostly messaging tbh) and it seems to work for me. I did read that new widgets won’t reveal themselves as available unti you open the actual app after updating to ios14. But initially I was a bit ‘meh’

Master

Apple Widgets on iOS 14

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I agree. I have had a play this evening and reverted to my standard home screen format.

Why do you have nine apps for the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

S/he is a pilot?

Although, I’ve only got seven. 😊

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Got to have something to talk about?

I use the stack widget to hold multiple widgets.

#feckwidgetsgetalife

Blog Entries
    What’s a widget? Sounds like someone in Lord of the Rings.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just about to ask the same; what’s a widget? How is it useful? How do I find them?
    I have just upgraded to ios14

My home screen has 3 widgets on it at the moment. Calendar, clock and widget stack.

The widget stack allows you to have multiple widgets in a swipeable area. I have Carrot, Google, Calendar, 2 x Shortcuts, Photos and Music in my stack. Over time the OS will learn when I use which widget and surface it then.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 18th September 2020 at 08:35.

Don’t see these widgets are a great advance TBH, they’re not even new. As I understand things, there were always widgets but they were confined to their own (widget?) page. Now some (and only some) can be moved to the various home pages.
    For most apps, only a limited amount of useful information can be shown and obviously at the expense of screen estate. For me, weather and calendar are ok, not much else.

As for the App Library - really just like better looking user folders. Nice idea but would be great if we could create new categories and move apps that appear to be miss-categorised.

SydR
    As will everything Apple it’s evolutionary not revolutionary.

Bit like them being last to add cut and paste many years ago. When they did not it though it was IMHO better than android at the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    My home screen has 3 widgets on it at the moment. Calendar, clock and widget stack.

The widget stack allows you to have multiple widgets in a swipeable area. I have Carrot, Google, Calendar, 2 x Shortcuts, Photos and Music in my stack. Over time the OS will learn when I use which widget and surface it then.
    I have 24 apps on the first page of my home screen on iPhone se. Can’t see how you have easier access tbh.
    Oh and it shows the time and date before you unlock it as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I always find it interesting that lots of the new innovations in IOS were in the original blackberry Software when they released the Z10 7 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    S/he is a pilot?

Although, I’ve only got seven. 
    I used to be a pilot so AeroWeather Pro is a must. I last flew in the RAF in 2004. One of the apps in that folder is tide times that I use when planning dives.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I always find it interesting that lots of the new innovations in IOS were in the original blackberry Software when they released the Z10 7 years ago.

I was issued a Blackberry by my employer. 2nd worst mobile phone ever. Only bested by Samsung Galaxy S5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Just about to ask the same; what’s a widget? How is it useful? How do I find them?
    I have just upgraded to ios14

Master
    Wow that takes me back!

On Android here, but I rarely use widgets - I've got three on my homepage, and that's all I've used for years.

And as for groups, make a folder? Here's mt Comms folder.

Master
    How do you add additional widgets to the widget stack?

I have about 6/7 basic options , weather, music, photos, maps and a few others I’d not use. I can’t see anyway of adding my own apps such as WhatsApp etc.

You can't and that's my issue. Only Apple apps can be included. Quite a lot of fuss around a release when actually it doesn't work as it should / could.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    How do you add additional widgets to the widget stack?

I have about 6/7 basic options , weather, music, photos, maps and a few others I’d not use. I can’t see anyway of adding my own apps such as WhatsApp etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You can't and that's my issue. Only Apple apps can be included. Quite a lot of fuss around a release when actually it doesn't work as it should / could.
    Hmmm, in one of the posts above Phil says he has Carrot in his stack which I’m assuming is the third party weather app and not an Apple one.

The app has to have widget support for the correct sized widget. I’ve also found you have to open the updated app to get the widget manager to know that it has widgets.

Master
    Got it working now, my Airmail app has just had an update which added widgets and now it can be added to the stack.

When will apple give in and include an app draw like android

Apple Widgets on iOS 14

I like the widgets but find it annoying that the problem of the clock widget running slow still hasn’t been fixed even though it was something flagged up in beta. I’ve deleted the clock widget as I can’t take it being wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    When will apple give in and include an app draw like android
    The issue with Android is every manufacturer version has a different implementation of how apps are handled. When you say an app drawer, it could mean anything.

I use the Microsoft launcher on work Samsung A20e which is completely different to the default Samsung launcher.

I never knew I needed/wanted a widget until now, like them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

BB10 OS was quite advanced for its time, being completely gesture based and very intuitive. Unfortunately the Blackberry App Store was woefully limited. You could side load the Amazon App Store which was an improvement, but still lacked any google apps. No competition for the rapidly expanding Apple and Google stores.

I remember the Z10 being huge next to my iPhone 4, but compared to my current iPhone XR...

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    On Android here, but I rarely use widgets - I've got three on my homepage, and that's all I've used for years.

And as for groups, make a folder? Here's mt Comms folder.

Walter, I love the quote on your wallpaper. Very simple but meaningful. A small reminder every time you look at the screen.

I think I will search for a similar wallpaper for my own devices.

I have chronic pain and quite often find myself wondering what is the point of getting up each morning, usually after little sleep, to struggle through the day.

(My cats are there when I wake and when I arrive home from work, to remind me that I’m loved and also that they are hungry, so very hungry!)

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 18th September 2020 at 22:29.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Walter, I love the quote on your wallpaper. Very simple but meaningful. A small reminder every time you look at the screen.

I think I will search for a similar wallpaper for my own devices.

I have chronic pain and quite often find myself wondering what is the point of getting up each morning, usually after little sleep, to struggle through the day.

(My cats are there when I wake and when I arrive home from work, to remind me that I’m loved and also that they are hungry, so very hungry!)

Dave

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse Hardcover Is available on Amazon which is where that quote is from

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse Hardcover Is available on Amazon which is where that quote is from
    Thank you. Walter was kind enough to get in touch and send me a copy, which arrived today.

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 20th September 2020 at 21:15.

I notice that 14.0.1 is now available