closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWC Diver

CWC Diver

I already have the CWC SBS diver quartz model but am leaning towards getting the stainless version. I can't decide between the full matt case or the polished sides with matt upper. Can anyone please help with some pictures of either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Polished is the original finish but I like the brushed look.

Master
    Am I right in thinking there are 3 finishes, excluding the SBS, ie

All polished
    All matt (bead blasted) like the example above
    Polished sides and brushed upper surfaces

Some seem to be described as brushed but look blasted and others as matt but look brushed!

Ant

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by bwest76; 17th September 2020 at 08:41.

Master
    I do not own one, but have in the past.

I would go for the all ss version just to keep it as original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I do not own one, but have in the past.

I would go for the all ss version just to keep it as original as possible.
    They're all ss. Do you mean the all polished version?

I had the polished sides/matt top version, sold it and now have the polished version. I think I prefer it as it's more distinct among the thousands of other matt/blasted/brushed divers. Just my opinion anyway

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    They're all ss. Do you mean the all polished version?

I had the polished sides/matt top version, sold it and now have the polished version. I think I prefer it as it's more distinct among the thousands of other matt/blasted/brushed divers. Just my opinion anyway

I do mean the polished version.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Am I right in thinking there are 3 finishes, excluding the SBS, ie

All polished
    All matt (bead blasted) like the example above
    Polished sides and brushed upper surfaces

Some seem to be described as brushed but look blasted and others as matt but look brushed!

Ant
    You are correct
    The 1980 reissues are all polished The current Stainless versions are a mix of polished and brushed surfaces and there was a small number of all brushed versions made but these are quite rare.

Craftsman
    Hm, I didn't know that. I have an all brushed one that I'm just about to sell, are they rare enough to command a higher price than usual?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You are correct
    The 1980 reissues are all polished The current Stainless versions are a mix of polished and brushed surfaces and there was a small number of all brushed versions made but these are quite rare.

Thanks for your thoughts and pictures guys. I think I'm leaning towards the brushed top and polished sides. I might also go for the day/date version. It does spoil the dial a bit but it would be useful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Hm, I didn't know that. I have an all brushed one that I'm just about to sell, are they rare enough to command a higher price than usual?
    They do command a small (very small premium) as they are an oddity, they tend to have have a miss printed dial as well as well as a brushed case.
    However the CWC collector market is very small and the collectors tend to have one if they want one.

Craftsman
    They do command a small (very small premium) as they are an oddity, they tend to have have a miss printed dial as well as well as a brushed case.
    However the CWC collector market is very small and the collectors tend to have one if they want one.
    Much appreciated, thanks!

I've ordered the matt top with polished sides and day/date. My reasoning (such as it is) is that the full matt case will be too much like my PRS18. The fully polished case is just a bit too shiny for me. The day/date complication spoils the look of the dial but will be useful. I also thought that considering that these are about twice the price they were a few years ago then it would be good to get as much as one can for the money. I'm all excited again. Like an expectant dad. The only difference being that I hope my wife doesn't find out. :)

Master
    Someone upthread mentioned dial oddities - my 2012 stamped quartz RN Diver has a "T" for tritium dial, I thought tritium was long gone by 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Someone upthread mentioned dial oddities - my 2012 stamped quartz RN Diver has a "T" for tritium dial, I thought tritium was long gone by 2012?
    I have a 2019 G10 Sapphire with a "T" dial - made up from old stock dials they had. Wouldn't surprise me that yours has it.

L->R: 2019 T dial sapphire G10, 2005 T dial British Army issued G10, 2019 Non issued SBS Diver

Good choice OP - you've picked what suits your needs and you'll love the watch I'm sure. They're great. I think I'll try and get a mechanical CWC chrono some day to add to my 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    They are the dial oddities
    They have a T dial but are luminova.
    Ironically the 2012 autos have the L dial but lume so cr@p you would think it’s 20 year old Tritium.

Master
    They are the dial oddities
    They have a T dial but are luminova.
    Ironically the 2012 autos have the L dial but lume so cr@p you would think it’s 20 year old Tritium.
    Aha! I see, sort of. Have you ever heard of one that eats batteries? I bought mine secondhand about 3 years ago, it had a new battery in February, it's now alternating between the second hand behaving normally & then doing the 5 second jump that indicates the battery is dying. It is still keeping the correct time.
    Thanks,

Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep it simple,I like mine.

Mine was in some very hot and wet environments when I used it for work when I was a Firefighter. Mind you I only got it to save my Datejust from the same punishment, which it had endured for 20 years! It got much more abrasive abuse when I worked with a sparky after I left the FS.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Annoyingly, I've just missed out one on Ebay which I think might have been sold by a forum member. I believe, from the pictures in the advert, that it was a matt finished one.

I think I would prefer a polished one - I appreciate that these watches are considered 'tool' watches but in your opinion which type shrugs off marks and dings more that other - polished or matt finish?

Just an update for the thread. The watch arrived today and I'm delighted with it. I have absolutely no regrets on my choice of case finish and dial type. It really is gorgeous. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Comparison photo. Both lovely but very different.

Craftsman
    It's taken me a long time to get used to wearing a no date watch and I admit I'm slightly envious of your day date model. Here's my matt case, black bezel model. Interestingly it has mineral glass like a mk1 but the 120 click bezel of the mk2.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 27th September 2020 at 22:45.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Polished is the original finish but I like the brushed look.

That looks superb!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    That looks superb!

my go to travel watch,the previous owner put in a sapphire glass as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I've ordered the matt top with polished sides and day/date. My reasoning (such as it is) is that the full matt case will be too much like my PRS18. The fully polished case is just a bit too shiny for me. The day/date complication spoils the look of the dial but will be useful. I also thought that considering that these are about twice the price they were a few years ago then it would be good to get as much as one can for the money. I'm all excited again. Like an expectant dad. The only difference being that I hope my wife doesn't find out. :)
    I think you chose well. I had a T dial polished version a few years ago and although I loved it, I would have preferred it less shiney.

On another note, I hope that this is not inappropriate, but if you now find your PRS-18 redundant I have WTB 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I think you chose well. I had a T dial polished version a few years ago and although I loved it, I would have preferred it less shiney.

On another note, I hope that this is not inappropriate, but if you now find your PRS-18 redundant I have WTB 😉
    Haha. I'm afraid it is not for sale. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    What year is that one. 1980? Looks to be in great condition. Also how did you fit the strap. Are the bars cut?

I have no idea got it from a car boot sale , real curve end tropic strap also in excellent condition just a little wear on the Bakelite bezel

I have no idea got it from a car boot sale , real curve end tropic strap also in excellent condition just a little wear on the Bakelite bezel
    Really?????? Oh wow what a result! These are a bit of a grail watch for me.
    Are there any markings on the case back?

Really?????? Oh wow what a result! These are a bit of a grail watch for me.
    Are there any markings on the case back?
    Not issue backed just plan unfortunately

Not issue backed just plan unfortunately
    Hmmmm very interesting.
    The dial is in very good condition when compared to most 1980/81 issues watches
    I wonder if it’s a prototype or similar? (not the Pippen type of prototype) the case back has not been skimmed. Maybe someone found a NOS dial and hands and put it in to a Monnin case. (Unlikely I would think, but it would explain the spring bars).
    Either way it’s an interesting watch in fantastic condition.

Master
    Interesting. I wondered if it was what is known as the 84 Hong Kong version but little is known of them, the sweep second hand being the same as well as the very small circle t.
    The caseback is different though. The engraving is a bit amateurish and what exactly is antichoc? Water resistant is also spelt as one word, so something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Interesting. I wondered if it was what is known as the 84 Hong Kong version but little is known of them, the sweep second hand being the same as well as the very small circle t.
    I thought about the HK version but these had a thicker chunkier case, not a Monnin type case
    I see what you mean about the spelling.

Craftsman
    I love the look of these, but have never been able to get past the price for the spec. Also these days I tend to avoid anything with overt military associations.

I wish someone would come along and produce a reasonably priced version, without the mil-markings and NATO stock numbers and such.

After all, it would be fair game, as there's nothing to the design which doesn't considerably pre-date CWC using it anyway. It's an omega style dial and handset in a monnin style case, with a basic Swiss quartz movement.

They look lovely though. I especially like the day-date versions.

I thought about the HK version but these had a thicker chunkier case, not a Monnin type case
    I see what you mean about the spelling.
    You chaps appear to be knowledgeable in this. Any thoughts on strap fittings? I thought they were all fixed pins.

CWC Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    You chaps appear to be knowledgeable in this. Any thoughts on strap fittings? I thought they were all fixed pins.
    All CWCs should have fixed bars not spring bars hence my question on the strap. It looks good but it’s not correct for an issued watch.
    In the past some people have removed the fixed bars from issued watches and drilled holes in the lugs for spring bars. ( lots of the 5517 Rolex has this done when they ‘left’ service) However due to the construction of the CWC case this is quite difficult without it being obvious or wrecking the case. If you look at the outside of your new CWCs lugs you might be able to see where the bars have been fixed, welded and polished over. (It’s a little oval on the outside of the lugs that can be difficult to see).

I can’t remember seeing a CWC with the bars removed before.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th September 2020 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I love the look of these, but have never been able to get past the price for the spec. Also these days I tend to avoid anything with overt military associations.

I wish someone would come along and produce a reasonably priced version, without the mil-markings and NATO stock numbers and such.

After all, it would be fair game, as there's nothing to the design which doesn't considerably pre-date CWC using it anyway. It's an omega style dial and handset in a monnin style case, with a basic Swiss quartz movement.

They look lovely though. I especially like the day-date versions.
    Sounds as though you would be happy with something like this...

https://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the...finder/super-7

I personally don't think of them as overpriced, the Mk1 version is still available at below £500 and IMO takes some beating for style and quality at that price, that's without going into heritage.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 29th September 2020 at 08:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Sounds as though you would be happy with something like this...

https://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the...finder/super-7

I personally don't think of them as overpriced, the Mk1 version is still available at below £500 and IMO takes some beating for style and quality at that price, that's without going into heritage.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I watched a YouTube review of one of these recently, and they look nice for the price. Slightly put off by the basic miyota movement that doesn't hack. Still one I'd consider in future, but not an instant buy for me as it would have been with an NH36.

Ok got to come clean with you guys , basically I wanted to see if it looks good to cwc experts ,
    I didn’t buy from a car boot , it is basically a hybrid I made from a old 1980s Aquadive Monnin Bakelite Watch in basically nos condition, I purchased the dial and hands from cwc which are the 1980s reissue and put them on the vintage movement
    The tropic strap is original with the Aquadive

Master
    Ok got to come clean with you guys , basically I wanted to see if it looks good to cwc experts ,
    I didn’t buy from a car boot , it is basically a hybrid I made from a old 1980s Aquadive Monnin Bakelite Watch in basically nos condition, I purchased the dial and hands from cwc which are the 1980s reissue and put them on the vintage movement

So you have made a fake watch and posted it on here. Well done you. I could comment further but will just put you on ignore.

CWC Diver

Nice one!!! Great waste of everyone’s time

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Nice one!!! Great waste of everyone’s time
    +1, why didn’t he simply show the watch and explain the background?.......strange behaviour!

Thanks for the explanation. Had me scratching my head for a while. Still, you've done the right thing in spilling your beans. Honesty is definitely the way forward here. I didn't realise one could buy dials and hands from CWC. Is this still the case?

Ahh I was right it’s a put together
    I suspected a CWC dial with Monnin case I had no idea that CWC would sell you a dial and hands, so presumed you had found a NOS dial but I have never seen one and most 80/81 dials and hands show their age. (the white 369 threw me as well as as my 80 reissue has brown numbers, it’s the one thing I would change)
    Can I ask what CWC charge for dial and hands? (PM if you prefer) I have an auto 2012 that I want to change out to replace the cr&py lume on the dial.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd October 2020 at 21:06.

Blog Entries
    This is my 1983 reissue, apparently they have only made 100 so far. I like the lume, it’s just a bit different to the normal diver. Oh, and this definitely has fixed bars.....

I would prefer that they didn't sell parts like dials and hands. It would make things much more difficult when buying a used one. Not the same as being fitted by the company. Just my opinion.

Craftsman
    Why, I wonder, would you need to see if this could pass inspection by the resident experts?

Not trying to gauge your chances of passing it off to someone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    This is my 1983 reissue, apparently they have only made 100 so far. I like the lume, it’s just a bit different to the normal diver. Oh, and this definitely has fixed bars.....
    I’ve been trying to make my mind up on getting one of these. There were 3 left yesterday, but now sold out. You snooze you lose :-(

Ant