closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tesla Model 3 Performance *Review*

Master
    Yup, no need for a regular service (or any at all if no issues). I had only one service in the 6 years of ownership, and that was in the beginning when I was used to an annual service with previous ICE cars.

The ranger service is great for sorting out small issues but as it's electric, not much really goes wrong with it. Only things I've had issues with is the rear lights water ingress (replaced by ranger) and multiple punctures (no idea how!!). With the software updates, it's one car I can say gets better the longer you have it!

As for chargers, I have a 7kW one on my driveway which is plenty to top up the car when needed. It was installed when it was subsidised by the govt, but I think they cost a few hundred quid to install nowadays? If you charge on Octopus Go off peak tariffs, it costs like 4 to fully charge for 250-300 miles. Doing the maths, that's like a fifth of the cost of diesel..

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Do owners have charging points installed - if parked outside are their national installers or straight up sparks job?
    If you tap into the grant then the installer has to be registered to fit smart chargers, but the chargers are more than the dumb ones.

Having reviewed I decided on Tesla’s own Wall Charger and it is perfect as you would expect.

Our energy provider is Igloo and their smart EV is working well. I get home plug the car in, I have it set for the car to be charged before 6:30 am and the battery pre heated. The app then uses the greenest energy overnight to charge and I am credited 100 free miles per month plus rewards that give me amazon vouchers.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    As for chargers, I have a 7kW one on my driveway which is plenty to top up the car when needed. It was installed when it was subsidised by the govt, but I think they cost a few hundred quid to install nowadays? If you charge on Octopus Go off peak tariffs, it costs like 4 to fully charge for 250-300 miles. Doing the maths, that's like a fifth of the cost of diesel.
    Considering a gallon of diesel is roughly 5.5, with 20 (4x5) you would buy 3.5 gallons.
    Which means your (diesel) car would have to average at least 70 mpg! You are underestimating your benefits.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    This is what my 46.2 miles yesterday cost me overnight.

Then factor in no service costs, I get 100 miles free per month (based on 0.300kw) and practically no brake wear.

It is very reasonable motoring.

Pitch

numbers remove duplicates

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    I am having a conundrum as to have a final wild petrol fling (Alfa Guillia Quadfrafoglio) or an expensive first date with a Tesla..... my 6yo grandson thinks a Tesla X because of the cool doors, but for me more like an S

Tesla no use to my wife as she has a 500mile weekly commute without charging opportunity when away, but we also have a Lexus NX for that. The build quality on Tesla does not quite feel high end despite the price tag. However, they are certainly more of the future, lower fuel costs and have some nice touches...... but they dont sound like a hyperactive lion either.....quick in a line, but so is the Alfa, and I suspect not as good in the twisty bits.

First World Problems
    Get the Alfa.

If everyone is right about electric being the future, this could be your last chance.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That's what I was thinking and have moved away from diesels to a petrol 1 series. Will eventually in a decade or so adopt the electric vehicle. I prefer real engine sounds rather than the artificial ones played through the speakers for the time being 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    That's what I was thinking and have moved away from diesels to a petrol 1 series. Will eventually in a decade or so adopt the electric vehicle. I prefer real engine sounds rather than the artificial ones played through the speakers for the time being 👍
    If youre even considering it, you should try one.

You can always buy a weekend car or bike for your petrol fix although, I believe that youll quickly realise how outdated ICE actually are and that all the developments made over the past 120 years are just compromises to make an inherently flawed technology, work.

Outdated.

Flawed.

Uses finite resources.

Not sensible.

But evocative and gutteral.

Totally agree!

Hopefully therell always be room for both.

I genuinely respect your opinions and it's true that it's going to be the future, but until there are more companies heavily invested and involved, therefore more competition, I won't be adopting for the time being. I just don't trust Tesla and the way everything can be controlled by them over the air.

Tesla Model 3 Performance *Review*

Its not just Tesla these days, there are others:

BMW
    Jaguar
    Audi
    Mercedes Benz
    Volkswagen
    Seat
    Skoda
    Nissan
    Renault
    MG
    Kia
    Hyundai
    Honda
    Vauxhall
    Peugeot
    Citroen
    Volvo (and Polestar)
    Mitsubishi
    Porsche

Im sure that there are more but you get the idea.

Tesla are at the forefront but the mainstream manufacturers are now in the game and will catch up fast.

In addition, Tesla can control everything remotely but if they ever do something untoward, that will be the end of them as a company. People wouldnt buy their cars if there was any suggestion of impropriety with respect to their somewhat expensive purchase. Its a trust thing, betray that trust and theyre gone.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 26th September 2020 at 15:02.

Craftsman
    I must say all this talk of electric vehicles, I like the look of the
    Ford Mustang EV due out early 2021. 370miles on a charge.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

BMW
    Jaguar
    Audi
    Mercedes Benz
    Volkswagen
    Seat
    Skoda
    Nissan
    Renault
    MG
    Kia
    Hyundai
    Honda
    Vauxhall
    Peugeot
    Citroen
    Volvo (and Polestar)
    Mitsubishi
    Porsche

Im sure that there are more but you get the idea.

Tesla are at the forefront but the mainstream manufacturers are now in the game and will catch up fast.

In addition, Tesla can control everything remotely but if they ever do something untoward, that will be the end of them as a company. People wouldnt buy their cars if there was any suggestion of impropriety with respect to their somewhat expensive purchase. Its a trust thing, betray that trust and theyre gone.
    And yet there are stories online of Tesla discharging salvaged rebuilt cars from their supercharging network because they were repaired by 3rd parties.

True Jay. Also I read that the government is thinking of implementing speed recognition systems in cars to slow them down depending on speed limit etc. This was something I watched last year, the video clip there:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic...ir-and-salvage

** I edited the post to put the place I originally saw it, it was much longer than the 18 minute clip I linked before**

Master

You underestimate tesla fanboys... people are already paying 8 grand for "FSD" sometime in the future. A future that will never come.

People wouldn’t buy their cars if there was any suggestion of impropriety with respect to their somewhat expensive purchase. It’s a trust thing, betray that trust and they’re gone.
    But he is a nobber - smoking a joint (recorded), the 'truck public reveal', the Twitter faux posts to influence share prices.

Maybe I am too old school......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    My surprise early on in my thread as to how EVs were being received and Tesla in general was obviously short lived.

I have been a real petrol head over the years I even built my own Westfield from scratch and you cannot get more grass roots raw performance and handling than that. I put twin 45 sidedraughts on the car breathing through trumpets, it would suck small dogs through the engine the induction was that brutal.

But, I am a complete 55yo convert to EVs and Tesla have and are doing a fantastic job, I keep saying it is just so refreshing. Yesterday I found out if you name the car Patsy the big Monty Python foot appears from the top of the screen and the car farts as it crushed the graphics on screen. The entertainment screen then has a dedicated Python app linking to Musks favourite sketches. He is a massive fan apparently.

Ive now driven 750 miles in the car so far and my electric cost is just over 20 quid. I have not touched my free 1000 miles of charge at a Tesla supercharger yet.

If anyone has a merest of thoughts on EVs drive one, the Jag is sheer quality or book a test drive at a Tesla store online and just experience the M3 I am sure you will leave the car smiling.

Pitch

Im seriously considering an EV in approx 18 months when my current lease runs out so I certainly appreciate the real life review. Whether Ill go for Tesla or not is yet to be decided but with increasing battery performance and mileage its certainly looking as a viable option for our usage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    But he is a nobber - smoking a joint (recorded), the 'truck public reveal', the Twitter faux posts to influence share prices.

Not to mention the cars are built in a tent, and he is in deep with the CCP, making up numbers, creative bookkeeping, persecution of whistleblowers... the list is endless. Do listen to the teslacharts podcasts, its insane what he is up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Maybe so but I was talking about Tesla doing something stupid with their customers cars.

What Elon Musk does as a person is entirely irrelevant.

What Elon Musk does as a person is entirely irrelevant.
    Not to everybody.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If youre even considering it, you should try one.

You can always buy a weekend car or bike for your petrol fix although, I believe that youll quickly realise how outdated ICE actually are and that all the developments made over the past 120 years are just compromises to make an inherently flawed technology, work.
    Not everyone can afford a Tesla, let alone a second car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not everyone can afford a Tesla, let alone a second car.
    Im not talking about everyone, I was replying to one specific person who was maybe considering one.

Im assuming that if hes considering one then he can afford one and that if he can afford one then he can probably afford another 1000 or so to buy a petrol fix.

Totally agree!

Hopefully there’ll always be room for both.
    There won't -Petrol powered (I guess someone may come up with an alternative based on plants - I know it's been done in the past) ICEs are on borrowed time, like manual gearboxes, steering wheels, accelerator and brake pedals...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    And yet there are stories online of Tesla discharging salvaged rebuilt cars from their supercharging network because they were repaired by 3rd parties.
    Yes, this is a fact. Look up Richie Rebuilds on YouTube...he's bought scrap Tesla's and refurbished them.

Also, if I recall correctly, if seller driver A has paid X for full autopilot and sells the vehicle then buyer driver B will have to pay the same as they deactivate the feature.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla are leading the way in the marketplace and deserve praise for innovation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    Yes, this is a fact. Look up Richie Rebuilds on YouTube...he's bought scrap Tesla's and refurbished them.

Also, if I recall correctly, if seller driver A has paid X for full autopilot and sells the vehicle then buyer driver B will have to pay the same as they deactivate the feature.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla are leading the way in the marketplace and deserve praise for innovation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    True Jay. Also I read that the government is thinking of implementing speed recognition systems in cars to slow them down depending on speed limit etc. This was something I watched last year, the video clip there:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic...ir-and-salvage

** I edited the post to put the place I originally saw it, it was much longer than the 18 minute clip I linked before**

Im not talking about everyone, I was replying to one specific person who was maybe considering one.

Im assuming that if hes considering one then he can afford one and that if he can afford one then he can probably afford another 1000 or so to buy a petrol fix.
    I doubt anyone used to a Tesla will get much of a petrol fix for 1000.

I doubt anyone used to a Tesla will get much of a petrol fix for 1000.
    1000 on top of Tesla price I think was meant if Im reading it right?

What I was saying Rusty, is that if someone buys a Tesla but really still wants a car with an ICE, they could PROBABLY afford to buy a weekend car with an engine IF THEY WANTED TO.

Unfortunately, Kingstepper seems to have decided to latch onto me for his trolling activities and is just being deliberately argumentative.

What I was saying Rusty, is that if someone buys a Tesla but really still wants a car with an ICE, they could PROBABLY afford to buy a weekend car with an engine IF THEY WANTED TO.

Unfortunately, Kingstepper seems to have decided to latch onto me for his trolling activities and is just being deliberately argumentative.
    Trolling ?
    On TZ ?
    Surely not !

Master
    Have you any evidence that individual cells can be replaced?

From https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyin...tteries/n19062

Sorry for the delay in replying...

There is a thriving industry refurbishing and 'regenerating' hybrid batteries in toyota / lexus / other vehicles. As most ev batteries follow the cell / module / pack layout pioneered by hybrids I would imagine that once it becomes financially viable i.e. available EV's are out of the manufacturers battery warranty the companies easily located via google who refurb hybrid packs will branch out into the pure EV space.

Of course it may be that there will be no market for a circa 500 resolution by an independent and everyone would prefer to scrap their car or pay 5k and upwards to have a replacement battery but I seriously doubt it.

Detail and Ceramic coating at the weekend, not quite as satisfying as on a darker colour but it has bought the pearlescent effect out a bit more.

Last edited by Vanguard; 28th September 2020 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Great photo!

Craftsman
    Looks great. Theres a great one sitting outside my house (not mine) I think they look really good.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

So went to the dealer to look.... first 8mpressions.... weird dealer setup and ALOT of stock in the car park, mostly registered so I guess sold but undelivered.

Went with my 6yo grandson and of course only the Gull Wing Doored Model X was in his eyeline and admittedly the overall space and practicality was excellent. The doors on all models sounded tinny to me compared to a 50-100,000 normal car. Leather (who came up with the stupid name Vegan Leather in use by many brands now) was a bit thin feeling. I liked the feeling of light in all of the cars and the screen did not put me off as much as I expected.

The M3P with the bells seems to be 55k upwards, Model S 80k upwards and Model X 90k upwards for well specced variants with a colour other than White.

A lot of money for a 3/5/X5 sized group of cars....but there is something about them. Biggest hurdle for me now is that if you have a test drive you seem to forfeit the 7day return on a new car. So many stories about quality makes me nervous of the idea of giving up such a benefit just in case you get one of the seemingly not uncommon lemons.

Yeh hes good at that. 2+2=4........Really?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Detail and Ceramic coating at the weekend, not quite as satisfying as on a darker colour but it has bought the pearlescent effect out a bit more.

Cracking pics and white looks so clean.

Good to hear you are enjoying the motor buddy.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    So went to the dealer to look.... first 8mpressions.... weird dealer setup and ALOT of stock in the car park, mostly registered so I guess sold but undelivered.

Went with my 6yo grandson and of course only the Gull Wing Doored Model X was in his eyeline and admittedly the overall space and practicality was excellent. The doors on all models sounded tinny to me compared to a 50-100,000 normal car. Leather (who came up with the stupid name Vegan Leather in use by many brands now) was a bit thin feeling. I liked the feeling of light in all of the cars and the screen did not put me off as much as I expected.

The M3P with the bells seems to be 55k upwards, Model S 80k upwards and Model X 90k upwards for well specced variants with a colour other than White.

A lot of money for a 3/5/X5 sized group of cars....but there is something about them. Biggest hurdle for me now is that if you have a test drive you seem to forfeit the 7day return on a new car. So many stories about quality makes me nervous of the idea of giving up such a benefit just in case you get one of the seemingly not uncommon lemons.
    Try the taycan had mine 2 weeks now its like a 911 with proper back seats handles as a 911 should too build quality as youd expect from Porsche

Interesting article about Hyundia and Kia talking about hydrogen cars. They plan to invest 6 billion on the tech.
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-hydrogen-cars
    They are the way forward I think.

Friend has a Tesla
    Loves it

Im picking up an I3 on Wednesday
    Not Tesla league but f hell its quick and I can get 100 miles for about 3.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitch.

Any further updates on this please like real life mileage and costs per charge? Any issues pros and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Pitch.

Any further updates on this please like real life mileage and costs per charge? Any issues pros and cons?
    Loads of detailed reviews on YouTube if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Loads of detailed reviews on YouTube if you are interested.
    Yeh but finding an unbiased one seems difficult, they fall between someone whos venting or someone whos a influencer

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Interesting article about Hyundia and Kia talking about hydrogen cars. They plan to invest 6 billion on the tech.
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-hydrogen-cars
    They are the way forward I think.
    I agree, I'm a big a EV fan and they work for me as I don't do really long journeys and have a ICE for when I do. I also have a drive to charge. For the 10s of millions of people who don't have off-street parking EVs just don't work so I think hydrogen is the way forward.