closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model 3 Performance *Review*

Battery degradation is something that concerns me about EVs - Seeing how phone batteries DO degrade fairly quickly and knowing EVs basically use a lot of those doesn't convince me that they are likely to be something 'no-one would ever need to replace' - First, maybe second owners, perhaps, but an EV with a 30 mile range is going to have a limited market...

One thing I don't think anyone has touched on is how badly the 400+ BHP performance impacts battery life - I'm assuming (like a petrol car or, again, a phone) you can't get maximum of both, but just HOW bad is trouncing M5s for your battery life?

Finally, someone said limited charging capability is 'only an issue if you regularly drive 200+ miles in a day', but surely it's an issue if you EVER do! That's only 100 miles each way - I DO regularly drive from home on the Surrey/Hants border to Portland in Dorset in a day, which is exactly 100 miles, so if I do a couple of miles driving around there or need to take a minor diversion or (as I did last week) take a trip to Yeovilton then to my Mum's in Dorset and then home to Hampshire, I need to find somewhere to charge up (I wouldn't have reached my Mum's with a 200 mile range) for however long it takes - My petrol car did the whole trip with a fill at the start and still had 50 or 60 miles range - If I'd needed to fill, that would have been a 5 minute job and that's what EVs need to be aiming for, not asking me to spend 30 minutes (NOT currently) sitting in a cafe drinking coffee every 200 miles.

I really like the IDEA of EVs. In many ways it would suit a large proportion of our trips, but there are too many exceptions for it to work currently (no pun intended) and the idea of buying a 50,000 mile used EV doesn't inspire any confidence in me as yet.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    I very recently swapped my M4 for a model 3 Performance. Putting the economics aside, I can honestly say I don’t ever remember being so impressed by a car.

In my humble opinion, this is the vehicular equivalent of the iPhone. An absolute game changer.

Yes, you can pick holes in it if you so desire, but, for me it’s an incredible achievement on a lot of levels. Early days perhaps, but interesting times. Make no mistake, we are watching Tesla cremate the car as we knew it. Viva la revolution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thoughts and another weekend of general leisure use it continues to make me smile and impress.

When you do factor in economics it is just madness how little I am spending on ‘fuel’.

@snowman. Totally see you thoughts and EV at this point is not everyone’s cuppa. Worth a mention though of the 200 mile comment and this is where the Tesla SC network kicks in. Living in Suffolk all my main routes back home are served by the network so 15 min break for a further 100+ miles. The generic charging network is questionable.

Ta

Pitch

Master
    Battery issues are non existent.
    Our leaf lost nothing in the 2 years we had it and the Lexus hybrid I've just got rid of was 13 years old and had lost 1 bar of battery. As cars batteries are not a single entity but effectively a large number of discrete batteries connected together if a 'cell' goes bad it can be replaced at relatively low cost (about the cost of a set of new tyres).

There is a huge amount of misunderstanding of how EV's run and operate, it's a shame and I can't wait until I get another, sadly no convertibles (and I really wanted one) EV's that don't cost the earth or have smart in the name.

Tesla Model 3 Performance *Review*

My env200 lost nothing in five years and 50,000 miles and id still have it now if someone hadn’t driven into the back of it and written it off.

I replaced it with one only 8 months younger and 20,000 miles less without a second thought.

I think snowman’s fears are shared by many but are all totally unfounded. I think for many though, those fears won’t go until they’ve owned and driven one fir a while.

I’d be happy to hug a 60-70,000 mile Tesla and have no worries about battery life or range.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 22nd September 2020 at 16:55.

Picked my Tesla Model 3 Performance up today and echo the above, it's a superb piece of kit and a complete game changer, it will do about 300 miles on a full charge, my E92 M3 didn't do much more than that.

I can't think of many days a year I need to do more than 300 miles and if I do I can get back to a full charge again in about 20 mins at a Supercharger (if I've driven that far I'm probably due a break anyway) of which there are many all over the UK, or just put 75 miles range in to get home that takes 5 mins then fully charge it again at home overnight for about £5.

Range anxiety is just not an issue when you can fully charge it at home overnight, nor is the battery life, Tesla guarantee them for 8 years and 150,000 miles. I've never kept any vehicle that long and I don't know of any regular car manufactures that offer a warranty that long on an engine.

Yes if you put your foot down you're going to consume more power than driving economically but that's no different to a 480bhp petrol car. Its not like the battery range just instantly vanishes, and given the power on offer there just isn't the road space to thrash it constantly, the odd squirt when you have room on the road really doesn't make that much difference to the range.

I'd suggest to anyone before making your mind up to go and drive one, it's not perfect but you'll be pleasantly surprised. All my preconceptions were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Battery issues are non existent.
    Our leaf lost nothing in the 2 years we had it and the Lexus hybrid I've just got rid of was 13 years old and had lost 1 bar of battery. As cars batteries are not a single entity but effectively a large number of discrete batteries connected together if a 'cell' goes bad it can be replaced at relatively low cost (about the cost of a set of new tyres).

There is a huge amount of misunderstanding of how EV's run and operate, it's a shame and I can't wait until I get another, sadly no convertibles (and I really wanted one) EV's that don't cost the earth or have smart in the name.
    Have you any evidence that individual cells can be replaced?

From https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyin...tteries/n19062

In theory, you could get some of the cells replaced individually, but no company yet offers such a service in the UK.

There’s a guy over on the SpeakEV forum who runs a company refurbishing battery packs by removing the bad cells and replacing them with good ones.

He offers a replacement service on the Leaf pack for about £1500 IIRC. Just how many he’s done, I don’t know but I sh o know that there’s significant demand for the batteries once removed from the vehicle.

Blog Entries
    So today was a typical day for me. Office first thing them pm visiting a couple of my sites.

Charged overnight to 90% which is what I always do, and also scheduled for greener energy (not sure how the provider works that). In addition I get a kick back of miles also for charging nicely at night.

My journey was A and B roads sticking to the speed limits with one very brief blat on a clear dual, which you can clearly see.

78.5 miles traveled and a further projected 200 miles of range based on the previous 30 miles traveled. That range is pretty good in my book and I bet most 490bhp ICE cars would be similar.

My very rough guess is today’s journey cost £2.30 in power which is plain ridiculous given the pure fun had driving a Model 3 Performance. And that cost with free miles could be sub two quid.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Picked my Tesla Model 3 Performance up today and echo the above, it's a superb piece of kit and a complete game changer, it will do about 300 miles on a full charge, my E92 M3 didn't do much more than that.

I can't think of many days a year I need to do more than 300 miles and if I do I can get back to a full charge again in about 20 mins at a Supercharger (if I've driven that far I'm probably due a break anyway) of which there are many all over the UK, or just put 75 miles range in to get home that takes 5 mins then fully charge it again at home overnight for about £5.

Range anxiety is just not an issue when you can fully charge it at home overnight, nor is the battery life, Tesla guarantee them for 8 years and 150,000 miles. I've never kept any vehicle that long and I don't know of any regular car manufactures that offer a warranty that long on an engine.

Yes if you put your foot down you're going to consume more power than driving economically but that's no different to a 480bhp petrol car. Its not like the battery range just instantly vanishes, and given the power on offer there just isn't the road space to thrash it constantly, the odd squirt when you have room on the road really doesn't make that much difference to the range.

I'd suggest to anyone before making your mind up to go and drive one, it's not perfect but you'll be pleasantly surprised. All my preconceptions were wrong.
    Glad to hear you have delivery and enjoying the experience.

Pitch

Getting topped up at home

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Getting topped up at home
    Forget the car, I want that garage and the bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Have you any evidence that individual cells can be replaced?

From https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyin...tteries/n19062
    Most EVs have a buffer, the battery itself has much more capacity than the useable capacity.

This means duff cells can be written out by the Battery Management System.

Not many companies are doing cell replacement yet, as it’s just not a very big market, and the battery packs are proving very reliable. Many are actively cooled as well to keep them in the optimum temperature range which further helps longevity.

Everything wears out eventually though, no different to internal combustion engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Most EVs have a buffer, the battery itself has much more capacity than the useable capacity.

This means duff cells can be written out by the Battery Management System.

Not many companies are doing cell replacement yet, as it’s just not a very big market, and the battery packs are proving very reliable. Many are actively cooled as well to keep them in the optimum temperature range which further helps longevity.

Everything wears out eventually though, no different to internal combustion engines.
    Fair enough but was questioning the poster's claim that cells could be replaced.

Master
    I think it’s more likely that a module would be replaced rather than an individual cell
    I suspect that in the future you might be able to buy aftermarket batteries that, due to developments in technology allow you to increase the range or performance of the EV.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Personally I think the Tesla Supercharger network is by far the best option for UK EV adopters. Hopefully this could potentially be a game changer for those of us on a more realistic budget.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54244612

Cheers,
    Gary

Are there any realistic discounts buying new from Tesla? Their website is all very easy to order online (which I still find amazing when we are talking about a 50k car) but leaves no room to talk to anyone.

And a rather daft question, can you lock the charging cables - as someone who would need to charge in a driveway and this is a bit far fetched, but I guess nothing to stop anyone unplugging the cable. I know I would have found that funny as a 18 year old returning from the pub! Not so much now of course.

Tesla don’t discount, the price you see is the price you pay.

It depends on the vehicle; my Env200 doesn’t lock the cable in but my daughter’s new MG does.

I don’t believe you can get a discount from Tesla.

The charging cable is locked once inserted, and only released via the software in the car, or the mobile app, once charging is complete/cancelled.

You can even do it in the pouring rain!

Clever stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Are there any realistic discounts buying new from Tesla? Their website is all very easy to order online (which I still find amazing when we are talking about a 50k car) but leaves no room to talk to anyone.

And a rather daft question, can you lock the charging cables - as someone who would need to charge in a driveway and this is a bit far fetched, but I guess nothing to stop anyone unplugging the cable. I know I would have found that funny as a 18 year old returning from the pub! Not so much now of course.
    There are locking pins that stop the cable from being unplugged when the car is locked

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post

As others have said no discounts and rarely incentives.

For me this was really refreshing from the old way of wandering round dealerships asking for the best price, I will need to speak with my sales managers malarkey.

For those thinking of Tesla and if you like the whole 'would sir like' approach, a coffee and pre-packed biscuit, un-vailing, bunch of flowers and suited and booted fella showing you all around your new spanking motor, Tesla is not for you. As I mentioned, mine was just driven off the trailer and pulled onto my drive by the delivery driver and he was gone.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Personally I think the Tesla Supercharger network is by far the best option for UK EV adopters. Hopefully this could potentially be a game changer for those of us on a more realistic budget.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54244612

Cheers,
    Gary
    The whole Battery Day thing yesterday was such a laugh, he is simply mad......

I am sure many are aware that it is not coincidence that the Tesla range comprises of the S, 3, X and Y. (SEXY). It us suggested that the new £20k small Tesla will be the Model 2 and the Model 4 and U will follow. So....... 2 S3XY 4 U.

As I have said previously they are plain bonkers.

Pitch

Refreshing there’s no discount, would be good if all purchases were like this.

Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

If the battery is flat, can you disengage the electric brake on it to enable you to move it to a more convenient location to charge, or do the wheels lock up ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

If the battery is flat, can you disengage the electric brake on it to enable you to move it to a more convenient location to charge, or do the wheels lock up ?
    Yes you can disengage the brake, in fact you should put the car into tow mode when it shuts the car down. Happened once to me and had to get it towed to a charger.

As for discounts, maybe not possible anymore but you can see if any of the showrooms are selling the demonstration cars. When I got my S, I had a good discount for one.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Yes you can disengage the brake, in fact you should put the car into tow mode when it shuts the car down. Happened once to me and had to get it towed to a charger.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, thinking of a model 3 as my next car and for some reason I always wondered that.

Master
    Okay... on the hydrogen fuel points. I was speaking to an engineer at Worcester Bosch yesterday and he was saying that his company is banking, very much, on a hydrogen future! Apparently the DoE plans, once the natural gas is switched off, to start using the existing pipe line to distribute hydrogen! He was saying how Worcester Bosh already have sample boilers that can switch from gas to H2 by simply changing one cheap part and the plans are that a future generation will all be of this design. Personally I'm not convinced that the current distribution system can simply switch over like that but this is what he said and for WB to invest the money into a future boiler range then they must think this WILL almost certainly happen. This would seem to infer that the government are planning on moving to H2 in a big way so vehicle fuel cell technology looks quite likely.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Okay... on the hydrogen fuel points. I was speaking to an engineer at Worcester Bosch yesterday and he was saying that his company is banking, very much, on a hydrogen future! Apparently the DoE plans, once the natural gas is switched off, to start using the existing pipe line to distribute hydrogen! He was saying how Worcester Bosh already have sample boilers that can switch from gas to H2 by simply changing one cheap part and the plans are that a future generation will all be of this design. Personally I'm not convinced that the current distribution system can simply switch over like that but this is what he said and for WB to invest the money into a future boiler range then they must think this WILL almost certainly happen. This would seem to infer that the government are planning on moving to H2 in a big way so vehicle fuel cell technology looks quite likely.
    I'm not deriding electric cars as the likes of Tesla have done a fantastic job in getting where we are today, but the one sticking point is the battery technology. We are at least one to two generations away from get a suitable battery technology that would be useful for the whole lifetime of a product ( as well as the issue of disposing of depleted batteries)

The more natural transition to battery would have been developing hydrogen power, the cost of producing hydrogen is the main crux with this, however with the glut of affordable renewable energy now on stream, It would be interesting to now do the math in relation to cost/benefit. It would not cost that much (relatively) to convert the existing infrastructure either.

Master
    I'm not deriding electric cars as the likes of Tesla have done a fantastic job in getting where we are today, but the one sticking point is the battery technology. We are at least one to two generations away from get a suitable battery technology that would be useful for the whole lifetime of a product ( as well as the issue of disposing of depleted batteries)

The more natural transition to battery would have been developing hydrogen power, the cost of producing hydrogen is the main crux with this, however with the glut of affordable renewable energy now on stream, It would be interesting to now do the math in relation to cost/benefit. It would not cost that much (relatively) to convert the existing infrastructure either.
    I think there's always going to be the issue, with battery power, of the time taken to 'fill up'. The vast majority of homes simply haven't got the capabilities to charge from home i.e. street parking, flats, shared houses, etc.... plus the issue of the time taken to fill up! Improving battery technology to higher and higher power capacity doesn't solve this fundamental problem. If anything it simply makes things worse. H2 fuel seems to solve these problems at a stroke and hearing this inside info. from Worcester Bosch was quite promising.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Nearly all the plugin hybrids have too small an electric range, or too many conditions where the engine cuts in. The BMW i3 Range Extender is the only one that has a decent electric only range plus the ability to use petrol to top up the battery when needed. It gives you 2 meaningful refueling options on a long trip.

Love the Model 3 too, a neighbour has one in the black/cream and it looks fantastic.
    This. I had a short term rental whilst between company cars - a Mini Countryman Cooper S plug-in hybrid. It could shift. Tiny range so saw no point in charging.

That said I know a guy who could just about get home on a charge so would charge for free at work every day. If it’s free - why not I guess.

Master
    We are at least one to two generations away from get a suitable battery technology that would be useful for the whole lifetime of a product ( as well as the issue of disposing of depleted batteries)

The more natural transition to battery would have been developing hydrogen power, the cost of producing hydrogen is the main crux
    Not sure I agree with you on the battery front, they’re already good for the life of the car, in fact they have a useful ‘2nd life’ as power walls for at home renewable energy storage.

VW warrant my battery to 8 years or 100k miles, they must be pretty confident in the longevity of the tech.

Re Hydrogen, I’m sure it has a role to play in the future for home/business heating and perhaps HGVs and the like, but for passenger cars there’s just no need for such complexity.

I don’t have a Tesla, the SC network is a fantastic USP, but even that isn’t omnipresent and you still may have to queue at some SC sites at busy times particularly in Europe.

There are other charge networks springing up though, Instavolt in the U.K. are doing a great job of installing public rapid chargers at up to 125kW. I use an 8 bay setup in Necton quite frequently, along with a lot of 4 bay setups that are springing up in Starbucks and the like. It’s transforming the ease of which you can do occasional long journeys, although EVs still make most sense to cover your regular commutes or domestic weekly journeys.

I’m still a petrolhead, but I’m not going back to ICE vehicles as my regular transport if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Not sure current boilers can switch to H2, but will be possible in future https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hydrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Not sure I agree with you on the battery front, they’re already good for the life of the car, in fact they have a useful ‘2nd life’ as power walls for at home renewable energy storage.

VW warrant my battery to 8 years or 100k miles, they must be pretty confident in the longevity of the tech.

Re Hydrogen, I’m sure it has a role to play in the future for home/business heating and perhaps HGVs and the like, but for passenger cars there’s just no need for such complexity.

I don’t have a Tesla, the SC network is a fantastic USP, but even that isn’t omnipresent and you still may have to queue at some SC sites at busy times particularly in Europe.

There are other charge networks springing up though, Instavolt in the U.K. are doing a great job of installing public rapid chargers at up to 125kW. I use an 8 bay setup in Necton quite frequently, along with a lot of 4 bay setups that are springing up in Starbucks and the like. It’s transforming the ease of which you can do occasional long journeys, although EVs still make most sense to cover your regular commutes or domestic weekly journeys.

I’m still a petrolhead, but I’m not going back to ICE vehicles as my regular transport if I can help it.
    Fair point's, as I say I'm not criticising where we are today but even Elon himself is aware of the limitation's of current battery technology.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure current boilers can switch to H2, but will be possible in future https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hydrogen.
    Yes... 100% :-)

It strikes me when I read this headline

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...eration-range/

that well over 99% of drivers will be completely unable to handle that kind of acceleration and speed. I anticipate insurance premiums going through the roof for Teslas as crashes rack up sadly.

I disagree Rusty; as with any other really fast vehicle, most will never use its full performance and those that do will only ever do so on the very rare occasion that they’re in the right location/situation that it’s safe to do so.

As being able to handle it; almost anyone could control it in a straight line in a 4wd car. It’s a lot more difficult on a bike where that sort of performance is wanting to throw you off the back.

It’s headline car, one step up from ludicrous mode. I’ve not heard of those being considered particularly crash prone.

Has anyone bought a USED Tesla?

New prices are too dear for me (I wouldn't consider one for my car, for the reasons I stated - I may be wrong, I accept, but I'm not ready - so it'd be the second car in our household, which could be used for shorter runs), so, assuming you don't get the all singing, all dancing Tesla buying and support experience, what is owning a second hand one like?

Do you still get software updates? I assume there's no aftermarket support for parts, but can an independent garage service one (I understand the motors are fairly low maintenance, but it'll have wear bearings/brakes/steering parts/etc like any car)?

Buying a shiney new car and not having to worry about it having a dead multi-thousand pound battery at 8+ years is all very nice, but doesn't reflect the experience for used car owners.

The idea that an 8 year old car is 'out of life' is rather laughable to me, I'm clearly not rich enough for this forum

M

Tesla Model 3 Performance *Review*

I bought a six year old Env200 to replace my six year old env200 (battery warranty on 24kwhr batteries was 5 years). Granted, it had only done 30,000 miles but, to me, that was preferable to a similar age battery with much lower mileage.

I’ve been looking at a similar age model S with 60,000 miles on the clock fir a shade over £30k and would have no qualms about buying that or worries about the battery.

I’d expect to still be driving it in ten years without issues other than the usual wear and tear items.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Buying a shiney new car and not having to worry about it having a dead multi-thousand pound battery at 8+ years is all very nice, but doesn't reflect the experience for used car owners.
    You really are worried about the battery life but it really has been shown to be a non issue. Batteries don’t just fail, their range gradually reduces over (a long) time. Really, there is no need to worry, in the same way that you don’t worry about having to replace an engine or gearbox!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 24th September 2020 at 16:18.

Which group do you belong to?

Last edited by Vanguard; 24th September 2020 at 16:10.

Master
    Which is the category that tries to figure out whether something new is actually Betamax or VHS?

Tesla et al may be showing the way forward, but the future isn't quite here yet. So to speak!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The whole Battery Day thing yesterday was such a laugh, he is simply mad......

I am sure many are aware that it is not coincidence that the Tesla range comprises of the S, 3, X and Y. (SEXY). It us suggested that the new £20k small Tesla will be the Model 2 and the Model 4 and U will follow. So....... 2 S3XY 4 U.

As I have said previously they are plain bonkers.

Pitch
    Apparently Musk is a fan of Iain M Banks's " The Culture" series of novels and has named one or 2 of hiat Space X things after some of the Culture Ships, no doubt he would do something along those lines indirectly for Tesla also.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Which is the category that tries to figure out whether something new is actually Betamax or VHS?

Tesla et al may be showing the way forward, but the future isn't quite here yet. So to speak!
    Yes, that's partly me.

Although I'm probably 5 years away from new (to me) car anyway, so the future will be a little clearer.

Maybe we won't be allowed to own cars by then...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yes, that's partly me.

Although I'm probably 5 years away from new (to me) car anyway, so the future will be a little clearer.

Maybe we won't be allowed to own cars by then...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

If the TeslaQ guys are right there might not be a Tesla in 5 years. They have it out for Elon being the biggest fraudster of our time. It's very entertaining to follow from the sidelines tbh.

Recommend listening to all the Teslacharts podcasts, especially Karl Hansen.

https://teslacharts.net/
    https://twitter.com/TESLAcharts

I am having a conundrum as to have a final wild petrol fling (Alfa Guillia Quadfrafoglio) or an expensive first date with a Tesla..... my 6yo grandson thinks a Tesla X because of the cool doors, but for me more like an ‘S’

Tesla no use to my wife as she has a 500mile weekly commute without charging opportunity when away, but we also have a Lexus NX for that. The build quality on Tesla does not quite feel high end despite the price tag. However, they are certainly more of the future, lower fuel costs and have some nice touches...... but they don’t sound like a hyperactive lion either.....quick in a line, but so is the Alfa, and I suspect not as good in the twisty bits.

First World Problems

Blog Entries
    Watch this buddy.

https://youtu.be/h8R7kZGvAUk

Everyone who jumped in the car has got out with a smile and with recognition nothing on the road is like this car, it is unique.

Having had all the German brands over the last 17 years I am not feeling wanted by the quality on the Model 3. I really cannot praise this car enough it is truly amazing.

When you factor in the fuel cost it really just makes you smile.

If you are on Suffolk PM me. Pending self declaration and temp check I will take you for a drive.

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 25th September 2020 at 21:45.

Blog Entries
    I would add that the M3P back then did not have the full track mode update. I think.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I’m very tempted to make the leap. Being an old fart I kind of like having a dealer only a few miles away- not that I need them except for routine servicing.
    So what’s the deal with Tesla servicing? I suppose the traditional intervals which are based around engine oil degradation are a thing of the past - but presumably there’s some need for routine checks? The service network seems fairly far flung - looks like the closest is more than 100 miles away from me.
    Delighted for any advice ....

Interesting article on Tesla’s new battery.

18 months away but cobalt free and less than half the price of their current battery.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/22...-battery-cell/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I’m very tempted to make the leap. Being an old fart I kind of like having a dealer only a few miles away- not that I need them except for routine servicing.
    So what’s the deal with Tesla servicing? I suppose the traditional intervals which are based around engine oil degradation are a thing of the past - but presumably there’s some need for routine checks? The service network seems fairly far flung - looks like the closest is more than 100 miles away from me.
    Delighted for any advice ....
    No servicing and like you I am 100 miles from the nearest Tesla SC. The app is used for booking in and I understand that rangers will also visit your home for anything minor but I have no experience of this.

From one old fart to another.

Pitch

I read somewhere, some time ago, that Tesla will honour the warranty whether the car is serviced or not.
    As the drive train is a battery and an electric motor, there’s really no need for anything other than a check of the usual wear and tear items rather than a service per se.

It’s not like you even need to send it in fir a software update!

Do owners have charging points installed - if parked outside are their national installers or straight up sparks job?