Well chaps after a lot of thought I took the massive leap into the unknown and decided that my next motor would be an EV.

Background... I have over the last 20 odd years predominantly had VAG group cars in the garage (exception 1 BMW) with new A4's, A5's, A6, Golf GTI's, Golf R's (wifey's current) the latest Q7 and my last car the New XC90. All of these have been my own cars due to BIK and the last six years PCH's.

With the tax breaks, grants and BIK I decided that my next car would be an EV through my business.

Pre-lockdown I had switched between a Model S then I-Pace and in May settled on the M3P. Why???? Model S tech seemed a bit old hat although still one handsome car and perhaps just a little to big for me, plus probably not a great image given the current clime. The I-Pace looked on paper a great choice but still very conventional inside and light years behind Tesla for technology. Lots of review reading and Youtube time and there is no question the Model 3 is probably the best EV out there and then there is of course the Tesla SC network which is way ahead of the infrastructure other EV's have to rely on. After all it is probably the biggest consideration.

The whole buying and delivery process has been the most refreshing experience I have had procuring a car in years. No suited BS or sir malarky, no haggling or to and fro dealerships just wasting time in gleaming sales machines full of suits. The whole extra and option process was just so tiresome and a feeling of being ripped off for everything.

Enter Tesla. What model, colour of paint and interior, SR, LR or Performance, 100 quid down, car ordered, job done, wait for your car to be matched, that simple. Why do, and have we, put up with the old way for so long when it can be this simple.

Friday 4th September car transporter turns up, drops the car off, quick signature and the car is mine. How simple again????

Now the car, where do I start. Firstly the interior is like nothing else on the market, it is unique. For me it is the most cleanest and functional place to sit there is. With the white interior and glass roof the space is amazing you do not feel you are sitting in a small saloon. The whole driver interface is just so easy and after an hour I felt like I had lived in it for years, it is that easy to navigate around and don't get me started on the screen speed of it. It shows the German systems up hands down for their sluggishness and archaic menus. Ventilation is on another level with such a controllable single vest instead of the old flappy things we have lived with for years. And it works.

The whole entertainment system with Netflix, Youtube, the full browser, Spotify, the games, mapping and the 4K quality of the screen is again just amazing. Sound is the best I have experienced and in the past has included B&O and Bose in cars.

The built is dash cam and sentry modes are such a nice touch and the quality of the cameras is again very very good. To just run through past trips and view also people starring into the car and reactions is funny.

Critics have been scathing about the lack of speedo in front of the driver and the whole in the middle thing is wrong. My first car memory was of my Dads Mini Cooper S in 1969, guess where the speedo was. I have not had an issue with at all in the M3P.

EV's are becoming increasingly know for the power and the delivery of torque in the M3P in brutal, it has been timed at 2.9 (3.2 official) 0-60 and it just pulls and pulls at any speed. It literally is like a scalextrix car it is that instant and smooth. Search Youtube and see what it does to the other premium fast saloons and supercars.

Handling is sure footed and planted with its 4WD system. Switch to track mode, stick the power to the rear and it will drift like a proper rear wheel drive machine.

Running costs, 100 mile charge is costing approx £2.00 to £2.50 on our current tariff which is incredible for a 490bhp car, its peanuts.

So the downsides. The quality of the panel fit is here and there in places and I have couple of very small dodgy bits of paint. The closing of the doors, trunk and boot do not make that nice German clunk. No power lift on the boot, what the hell is that about. The look..... its like the designers had months on the side and rear which to me are just stunning and then 5 minutes on the front, it one ugly f$@ker, like its been punched hard in it's face.

I have logged my concerns on the app (again fantastic and it WORKS) and it will be interesting to see what the aftersales is like. Not holding my breath though.....

All in all, 10 days in I have so made the right choice the car is just so refreshing to use. I fully appreciate it will not be everyones cuppa and there many many Elon and Tesla haters out there and true petrol heads will shudder at the thought of this silent motoring but it IS the future.

This company is a baby in comparison to all other major car makers out there and Tesla have just ripped 'the book' up and started a fresh and after years of being sniggered at I am sure all the other car manufacturers are beginning to sit up and think......

Some pic's

Pitch

musical notes smileys