closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trolly jack - of sorts needed.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Trolly jack - of sorts needed.

I’m after a very low height jack, does not need to be a trolly jack and only needs to lift 150kg so the car jacks are at 2 tonnes + are over kill.

Not sure in looking at the right places as I always get directed to garage spares type sites but wondering if there is a hobbiest type device that would do the trick.

For clarity its to jack up Mrs B4Ws wheelchair, which is 130kg so I can work on the wheels and suspension. Don’t need to lift the whole chair but front end work on ot and then back end and work on it.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    You'll also need something to support the wheelchair whilst you work on it.

Which could be something as simple as a block of wood - wood isn't usually recommended as a safe support material, but a decent block should easily be capable of holding up 130kg. Particularly if you're only lifting the front or the back.

Perhaps a metal pole to act as a lever to raise the chair, and a block of wood to support it would do the job. There will be better (more expensive) options though.
    Last edited by catflem; 15th September 2020 at 08:18.

I'm not sure if this would work for you -

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...nium-racing-j/

I have one for working on motorcycles and cars with low ground clearance - it's been very good.

It might be overkill, but would also have uses on other vehicles perhaps ?

Good luck with your search.

Blog Entries
    Cheap scissor jack and two blocks of wood. Or lay it on its side.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I have one of these and it's been very reliable

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...ck-657305.html

Master
    A quick lift jack may do. Last one I bought was "previously enjoyed" and was about twenty quid.

About £45.
    500kg capacity.
    Available on the interweb.

I'd search Gumtree or eBay for bike lift or motorbike lift - cheap (around £30-£40), stable and quick and easy to use.

I'm going to be buying one of these myself soon for vintage lawnmower repairs and servicing :)

Not sure where you're based, Ben, but this is the sort of thing - other options are available

https://www.gumtree.com/p/replacemen...ack/1384130882

https://www.gumtree.com/p/replacemen...ft-/1384249401

Not sure how high you need to lift it but, if you only need the wheels off of the ground, maybe something like this...eBay link?

Other options are available with quicker delivery but I chose that one because of the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not sure how high you need to lift it but, if you only need the wheels off of the ground, maybe something like this...eBay link?

Other options are available with quicker delivery but I chose that one because of the pictures.
    I was just about to post a similar thing.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Might be overkill but what’s wrong with a normal trolley jack, are they too high?
    Can be had for £25-30 from screwfix, Toolstation etc.

Master
    Would this fit under the wheelchair, it says 89mm? I know you don't need the 2 tonne capacity but too much is better than too little (ahem).
    I have a heavy duty high lift SGS for my Land Rover and they are well thought of on the LR forums. With the use you will put it to, it will last forever.
    As been pointed out, for safety reasons never work under a jack, always chock/support on stands.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A quick pick of the access height, a shade less than 2.5” or a shade less than 3” down the centre

Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks to be ideal as it seems to have a low height of 50mm.

Just need to find one cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    A quick lift jack may do. Last one I bought was "previously enjoyed" and was about twenty quid.

Cheers,

Ben

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Might be overkill but what’s wrong with a normal trolley jack, are they too high?
    Agreed.Or a bottle type jack.Car boot sales are a good source for both and dirt cheap there.Seals at Just O rings and easily replaced too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post

I have one for working on motorcycles and cars with low ground clearance - it's been very good.

I've got a couple of low entry trolley jacks for lifting sports cars - the 1.25 tonne Machine Mart one listed above, and a bigger 2.5 tonne one.

The MM one is a brilliant little jack. It's small, light, and very manoeuvrable. Being light (and having a couple of handles on the side), you can stick it on hooks on the garage wall to keep it out the way. If I did that with the 2.5 tonne one, it would probably bring the blockwork down

Master
    Cheapest option. A plank and several bricks. Slide plank under and lift the end in your hand. Place one brick under plank near to end by chair. Push other end own and chair should lift. Support chair on other bricks! Simples! It worked for the Egyptians when building the pyramids!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post

is this comparable...link...?

Edit Apparently not...see replies below.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th September 2020 at 21:00.

Does it have a 'jacking point' where the jack won't cause damage?

How about ramps like these? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rhyas-Hea...0184232&sr=8-7

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    is this comparable...link...?
    It looks roughly the same, but is 1.5 tonne vs 1.25 tonne. What would put me off is that it's SGS. My other (2.5 tonne) jack is SGS, and it is pants. The first one they delivered wouldn't sit square on the floor because the two wheel carriers on the back of the frame were welded on at different heights. I really wanted them to take it back but they made that so difficult that I ended up with a replacement. It's still pants, and the worst thing about it is the lower. It's either up or down. There's no gentle drop.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, and I suspect that the SGS ones are cheap Chinese made tat. The Machine Mart one is probably made in China too, but maybe Clarkes are on top of the manufacturing specs and quality control in a better way than SGS. OMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    It looks roughly the same, but is 1.5 tonne vs 1.25 tonne. What would put me off is that it's SGS. My other (2.5 tonne) jack is SGS, and it is pants. The first one they delivered wouldn't sit square on the floor because the two wheel carriers on the back of the frame were welded on at different heights. I really wanted them to take it back but they made that so difficult that I ended up with a replacement. It's still pants, and the worst thing about it is the lower. It's either up or down. There's no gentle drop.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, and I suspect that the SGS ones are cheap Chinese made tat. The Machine Mart one is probably made in China too, but maybe Clarkes are on top of the manufacturing specs and quality control in a better way than SGS. OMMV.
    Good to know...thanks for the background.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post

I had a similar experience with the SGS jacks. First one came loose due to cross threaded pin retainers. The "replacement" was a remanufactured jack with three different spray patterns (parts from three jacks I suspect) and as said above, is either up, or down. A steady lower does not seem to be an option! I was impressed on first opening the box but in use??? No! Seems to be luck of the draw as many folks say that they are OK!

Where are you based ? I have a trolley jack (possibly too high), pallet truck and sack truck. I would say the pallet truck be perfect.

Collection needed around Southampton but no charge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Cheapest option. A plank and several bricks. Slide plank under and lift the end in your hand. Place one brick under plank near to end by chair. Push other end own and chair should lift. Support chair on other bricks! Simples! It worked for the Egyptians when building the pyramids!
    Ha ha ha, when I read that it was just the kind of way round that I’ve done in the past. Lifted a garden shed that way with a scaffold plank and bricks to get some more planks under it and rolled it on half a dozen broom handles under it to a new location in the garden.
    There’s always a way!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s very kind but you are a tad to far and not 100% sure would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Where are you based ? I have a trolley jack (possibly too high), pallet truck and sack truck. I would say the pallet truck be perfect.

Collection needed around Southampton but no charge.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Blog Entries
    This will be overkill but I own a garage and the best jacks I’ve ever used are Costco ones. Less that £100 plus VAT and last longer than any others I’ve tried.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Does it have a 'jacking point' where the jack won't cause damage?

How about ramps like these? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rhyas-Hea...0184232&sr=8-7

Don’t the wheels have to be off the ground/ramps?

I dont know what type of wheelchair is 130KG but cant you park it on 2 planks of wood so it is raised up and then just use any old regular jack.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats an interesting idea.

Its a powerchair with front and rear suspension and electric rise and recline seating.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I dont know what type of wheelchair is 130KG but cant you park it on 2 planks of wood so it is raised up and then just use any old regular jack.
    Cheers,

Ben