closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Watch You’ve Owned Before

Buying a Watch You’ve Owned Before

Had this delivered today

And am chuffed to bits with it, £88 from Creation and avoided duty by selecting the Royal Mail option. Only thing is, I owned and sold one earlier this year. Why the hell did I do that?? I also owned and sold the black dial version (now discontinued)

And have also been questioning my sanity here, so managed to pick one up from Jomashop. I’ve also bought and sold the SKX007 about 4 times, and I’m now considering whether I should go back in for a Steinhart OVM that I regretted selling about a year ago. It’s a bloody sickness I tell you!

Many others find themselves returning to watches they’d once moved on (usually at a higher cost!)? Or do most folk keep moving forward in their hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 10 Steinhart Double reds, about 5 or 6 of the G-Shock full metal SS squares, 3 or 4 Orient Mako Yellow, 4 Smiths Radio Rooms, 3 or 4 Smiths Everest, 2 Omega Silver Snoopy and Christ knows how many Seiko Alpinists.

You are right, it is bonkers and we just shouldn't do it.

Craftsman
    I have too and I can’t imagine we are the only one!

I had the JLC Amvox 2 Black concept. I sold it some years ago to fund another piece. Have missed it and regretted it ever since..... just got the Amvox 2 DBS a couple of weeks ago! Not the exact same model but close enough!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've had 10 Steinhart Double reds, about 5 or 6 of the G-Shock full metal SS squares, 3 or 4 Orient Mako Yellow, 4 Smiths Radio Rooms, 3 or 4 Smiths Everest, 2 Omega Silver Snoopy and Christ knows how many Seiko Alpinists.

You are right, it is bonkers and we just shouldn't do it.
    Certainly is bonkers mate! If anyone sees this Seiko appear on SC feel free to send the men in white coats round to my house.

Damasko and Tutima are regular visitors - maybe someday I’ll actually keep one.

Master
    A few BBs, Sinn 556 (owned twice or thrice, can’t remember!) Explorer 1 (owned twice) and El Primero tricolour (owned twice).

Hey ho, part of the fun innit.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I’ve purchased a few watches for a second time and almost without exception i have sold them on again fairly soon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This thread is basically about MM300 ownership.
    I think I’ve had five so far (and thinking about no. 6!)

At a rough count and all gone now:

3 x Omega SMP, one mid- & two full-size (and a GMT).

3 x Glycine Lagunare.

About 10 or 12 Series 1 Seiko BM/OMs.

5 Citizen Ecozillas.

Several Citizen NY-series divers.

A few Seikos modded to look like 'MoD' issued divers.

Two Anonimo Mod.2000s (and an Anonimo Hi-Dive).

There's probably a few other 'doublers' that've passed through my modest collection. I won't buy any of the above again (he says!).

Edit: I've had three Marathon SARs as well: I can't remember if they were GSARs or TSARs
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    An old habit; most recently, four SD43s and three Zenith CP2s. Well,somebody has got to do it.
    Still got a bit of a soft spot for both designs.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th September 2020 at 20:53.

Craftsman
    I'm yet to do a rebuy on anything....but I have not really moved many on.

Had 4 pelagos’s in the last 2 years, just picked up my third bb bronze this year......yep in the lockdown period I’ve bought and then sold 2 off them.......and then bought another

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Had 4 pelagos’s in the last 2 years, just picked up my third bb bronze this year......yep in the lockdown period I’ve bought and then sold 2 off them.......and then bought another
    Lockdown has had me indulging in multiple flips too! Helped me through it tbh!

Master
    Ha,you're only talking about same model.Ive bought exact same watch several times; Seiko tuna,Edox delfin(s),etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Made me chuckle!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    I’ve bought the BB GMT twice - I really wanted to love it but it was just too big. Lost money each time I sold. I’ve also bought a 6 digit Rolex GMT 3 times (different colour variations so maybe it doesn’t count). I bought the 114060, sold it and bought it again. I bought and sold the 214270 twice. I sold an IWC Portuguese Chrono a couple of years ago and now I want one back! I stress that none of these have been financial flips but rather recurrent remorse and indecision. The afflictions of your average watch fan....I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Same here. Once sold three watches, bought them all back.

One was modded so traced the new owner via this forum. Lesson learned.

Buying a Watch You’ve Owned Before

Maybe I don’t qualify as a full TZ’er but I’ve never sold a watch and bought same model again. Maybe when I sell which is a rare occurrence it is because the watch has lost its appeal.

That’s not to say I haven’t had more than one of the same model at the same time !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Haven't bought a watch that i have sold previously but came very close recently when i was offered a SD43 at RRP but then reality got hold and told me why i had sold it previously and would do the same again.

I sold my lovely silver dialed Longines Ultronic.

I soon wished I hadn't and replaced it with a blue dialed one last year, less money, but it's not as nice an example.

I wish I'd kept the silver one really, as it was a perfect suit watch, but there you go - I can't remember the last time I wore a suit anyway!

Generally, though, if I do move a watch on, I don't really miss it.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I’ve owned a couple of Tudor Rangers and often think of a third. Love the look of them and for me it would be a perfect beater if only that bit smaller.

Having now bought an Explorer the urge for another has subsided a little, but they still draw me in with their looks and value. I’ll probably buy another, then sell another at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    I’ve owned a couple of Tudor Rangers and often think of a third. Love the look of them and for me it would be a perfect beater if only that bit smaller.

Having now bought an Explorer the urge for another has subsided a little, but they still draw me in with their looks and value. I’ll probably buy another, then sell another at some point.

You bought my Tudor Ranger mate, at Xscape. Did you end up moving it on?

I sold the SDc (obviously it's gone up several £000 since I sold it) only to then buy the SD43 at RRP 8 months ago - regretted it almost immediately, remembering why I had sold the SDc. So, lesson not learned. [I should just stick with my 16600, which I find much more comfortable.]

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    You bought my Tudor Ranger mate, at Xscape. Did you end up moving it on?
    I did. Replaced it with the Explorer I really wanted. Still fancy another though.

Silly hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    I did. Replaced it with the Explorer I really wanted. Still fancy another though.

Silly hobby!

Ha, sure is. Explorer is a level above though, not sure a Ranger would get much wrist time in the same collection.

Sub > Daytona white dial > Sub > Batman > Sub

S

How come the sell in the first place? Tight on money? Boredom? And do you calculate how much money is lost through depreciation?

All genuine questions out of curiosity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Ha,you're only talking about same model.Ive bought exact same watch several times; Seiko tuna,Edox delfin(s),etc.
    Maybe it's an NI thing. I've owned the same Speedy 3 times already and I know if it pops up again at the right price I'll have it again. Having said that, I'll give everyone a 100% refund on any Speedmaster they bought from me and I reckon there's about 30 out there.

Just ordered a new one... my 4th...

Craftsman
    I may have had 8 seamasters and that’s just the SMP. Doesn’t include planet oceans. Just 5 of those so I’m doing better with the POs.

Looks terrible when written down.

Master
    Reading the replies on here...making me think this is just madness...why would somebody sell a watch and buy the same model again!!?

Then I look back at my watch history and realise I did once sell a ceramic sub. At a loss of course...regretted it almost immediately and bought another some 6 months later...since then I very rarely sell a watch and had decided I wouldn't sell unless I really needed to...except earlier this year I bought a BB58 blue...and then sold it within a few weeks at a small loss (maybe I was slightly generous there). Only to regret it and end up with another shortly afterwards.

Talking about having more than one of the same model? Also madness...let me check my collection...oh yes I do seem to have 4 varieties of ceramic sub...add to that an SD43. To most normal people they all look identical (except the colourful dialled one). I think I urgently need a new hobby!

I once counted the MM300 sales posts from a certain member no longer posting multiples of brand new coats (I'm sure from memory, some in different sizes) and so on on SC. I think in the the space of two years he'd sold something like 20 MM300s. That's almost one per month. What did he do, get paid and decide he needed a £1k+ Seiko, then have to sell it to pay bills, then buy another as soon as he was paid, then have to sell it to pay the bills, then...? Is there a point at which realising you miss that watch you sold becomes something else?

Talking of MM300s, I had two but sold them because both had clasps I couldn't get on with. The second drew blood every time I wore it. The new one is a blue one and it's both comfortable and even better to look at.

My biggest problem (ok, watch-related) is I used to try out lots of watches and sold a variety of them knowing I could always buy one again. I had a couple of Heuer 7763s and sold them when they were low £1ks, knowing I'd find another soon enough. I had a couple of pre-moon Speedmasters, one with a pile of NASA history. Worst of all, the Tudor Snowflake I sold because it needed the lume removed and replaced properly, and a new crystal and retaining ring fitted. At the time no one could do the lume properly (James Hyman, where were you back then?) but I knew I could buy a really nice one for a couple of grand. Ha!
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Had a Seiko Shogun, sold it and bought a Pelagos. Found the Pelagos to be the most uncomfortable watch I've ever owned in any strap/bracelet combination. Sold it and bought another Shogun.

I still like the aesthetic of the Pelagos but I'm not going back.

Several Casio F91Ws, most get lost or destroyed because I fasten them to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Royalwrist View Post
    How come the sell in the first place? Tight on money? Boredom? And do you calculate how much money is lost through depreciation?

All genuine questions out of curiosity.
    For me, I’d end up with too many watches and would find some of them seldom worn so I’d eventually decide to sell. I didn’t want too much money tied up in watches, which I saw as assets rather than purchases.

3 seems to be the number for me...I’ve bought and sold 3 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatches, 3 Speedbirds and 3 Omega Dynamics.

Master
    I've had 3 BB58 Black's in the last two years!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    For me, I’d end up with too many watches and would find some of them seldom worn so I’d eventually decide to sell. I didn’t want too much money tied up in watches, which I saw as assets rather than purchases.

3 seems to be the number for me...I’ve bought and sold 3 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatches, 3 Speedbirds and 3 Omega Dynamics.
    I’m kind of the same. I don’t like having lots of watches hanging around, I tend to keep things at a G-Shock plus 3 others max. So if I fancy something different I usually bump another watch on - but sometimes I end up realising that watch was better than the one that took its place, and look to buy another. I suppose it boils down to wanting to try watches out, but not wanting to pour endless amounts of cash into the hobby.

I'm feeling slightly smug here as buying the same watch more than once appears to be the only bad watch-related habit I don't have!

I've bought 58 watches in 15 years and they have all been different...

I suppose the closest I came was owning three first generation Seiko Monsters (at the same time), but in my defence they all had different colour dials.

Simon

Yep quite a few times. I'd be buying back my Oak and Oscar Flyback Chrono that is on SC currently if I had the money - that is an incredible watch and I cannot believe that hasn't sold and yet someone spent a similar sum on the latest Seiko diver. Madness.

I’ve bought a MM300 and Black Bay twice. With the Seiko MM300 I bought the upgraded SLA021 version the second time round and wouldn’t rule out buying another. With the Black Bay I’ve learned it’s too thick and not to buy another until a thinner one comes out.