closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Portugieser advice please.

Master

IWC Portugieser advice please.

I'm really taken by the 40mm automatic, white dial, blue numbers & handset.
    I like IWC as a brand but I have never owned one.
    Are they easy to live with, are they worth their RRP & are discounts generally available?
    Thanks,

I owned a Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01 (white dial, gold numerals and hands). It was a stunningly beautiful watch and a lesson to me that I don't wear white dialled watches. When I came to sell it there was zero interest here and I ended up exchanging it through a dealer. I would recommend buying a mint used example and bargain hard as the asking prices on sites like Chrono24 are just not realisable in most instances. Only you can decide what is worth spending your money on but IWC Portuguese watches don't hold their value or generate the interest on selling to pay RRP in my opinion.

Master
    Yes, the 3716 Chrono....the latest version...looks identical to the earlier version, but has a new in-house movement. I agree that it is a lovely looking design. Sheer class.
    It’s more tempting than it was, because you get an eight year guarantee. But it’s dear at £7,100 and I’m not sure discounts are readily available. Although I may just lack enough knowledge.
    If you are confident you would keep it for the long run, then it could be a good choice. Its exceptionally good looking (to my eyes) and it’s a genuine design classic.
    Anyone know where decent discounts are available?

Master
    Thanks both. The version I saw was the new 40mm non chrono. RRP is £6450 which is a bit rich for my blood. It's beautiful to look at & I think IWC build quality is good but that they depreciate more than some other brands.
    To be honest I think it's something that I might look at next year & I will look into the idea of a decent quality pre owned piece, see how the prices look.

I've owned 2 of them, the blue hands/indices you refer to which was my first and also this one
    blue one was the immediately likeable one, the second grew on me more.
    don't pay over the odds as they don't hold value too well- shame as they are beautiful things, a grail of mine is the 18kt white dialled one in red gold
    straps make a huge difference as well, the Santoni ones are exquisite, I liked mine on a bone alligator as shown....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I've owned 2 of them, the blue hands/indices you refer to which was my first and also this one
    don't pay over the odds as they don't hold value too well- shame as they are beautiful things, a grail of mine is the 18kt white dialled one in red gold
    straps make a huge difference as well, the Santoni ones are exquisite, I liked mine on a bone alligator as shown....
    That's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I'm really taken by the 40mm automatic, white dial, blue numbers & handset.
    I like IWC as a brand but I have never owned one.
    Are they easy to live with, are they worth their RRP & are discounts generally available?
    Thanks,
    I think you are referring to the IW358304?
    It's a nice looking watch.

I've owned several IWC, mostly earlier models, and apart from pretty high service costs and time taken to service (which is not limited to IWC these days), they are fine timepieces.
    I'm not aware of significant discounts, if any, but I guess there's no harm in asking around a few dealers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I think you are referring to the IW358304?
    It's a nice looking watch.

I've owned several IWC, mostly earlier models, and apart from pretty high service costs and time taken to service (which is not limited to IWC these days), they are fine timepieces.
    I'm not aware of significant discounts, if any, but I guess there's no harm in asking around a few dealers.
    I saw it at an IWC event last Friday, I didn't get the model number unfortunately. It is the new version with an in-house movement & 40mm case. I really like it but not enough to pay RRP if I can avoid it.

That's very nice.
    If you buy one, I can sell you that strap!
    It’s still in the straps box...

I saw it at an IWC event last Friday, I didn't get the model number unfortunately. It is the new version with an in-house movement & 40mm case. I really like it but not enough to pay RRP if I can avoid it.
    I know exactly the one you mean, it was part of IWC's latest releases this year and not really anything to do with any of the chrono models. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet but the pics look fabulous. I can't help with discounts etc but like you I'll be waiting for a used version to come along in a few years rather than take the initial depreciation hit.

I have owed the Portuguese chrono with blue hands & numerals for almost 10 years. Its a beautiful watch and the new one you are after is equally stunning ( have fomo of the see through caseback)

I would aim for a 20% discount +, you can always say to the jewelers, I can buy it at WoS in Heathrow at 16.67% discount, the vat saving so its a good starting point (cheap day return from Manchester ,Glasgow etc).

I would definitely think a jeweler that sells IWC outside of London will definitely do a good deal!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I have owed the Portuguese chrono with blue hands & numerals for almost 10 years. Its a beautiful watch and the new one you are after is equally stunning ( have fomo of the see through caseback)

I would aim for a 20% discount +, you can always say to the jewelers, I can buy it at WoS in Heathrow at 16.67% discount, the vat saving so its a good starting point (cheap day return from Manchester ,Glasgow etc).

I would definitely think a jeweler that sells IWC outside of London will definitely do a good deal!
    That's good consumer advice, a Top Gear top tip!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Again, nice strap. The original strap is really not the best for this model. Here's mine:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=portuguese

I previously had the panda version. Initially loved it then went off it totally. IMO the watch is just too refined for the panda dial.
    Last edited by TomGW; 15th September 2020 at 00:45.

Craftsman
    Picked up a brand new black dial 3716 for £5K last month.

Not AD, went with grey dealer.
    Also registered with IWC to extend to warranty to 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Again, nice strap. The original strap is really not the best for this model. Here's mine:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=portuguese

I previously had the panda version. Initially loved it then went off it totally. IMO the watch is just too refined for the panda dial.
    Your pictures make me realise, again, just what a stunning watch I sold. I agree that the black alligator strap isn't suited to the watch and I had it on a brown alligator that, IMHO, was far better looking.

Master
    I really like the white dial / blue hands version but I went down a YouTube rabbit hole which led me to a Watchfinder video about Dornbluth. They also do a white dial / blue hands watch which appears to be more exclusive & less expensive - now I am confused!
    In any case it's a project for next year so I have time to do proper research into both brands.

Mallorys in Bath had one of each colour dial (blue, black & white) in their sale @ 30% off last week as the new “in house movement” has now replaced it. They were down to £4,550 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There has been a lot of love for this new watch in 40mm. Definitely intriguing but not sure at RRP.

I find IWCs quite easy to live with in general, I have an ingenieur which I really enjoy wearing and IWCs always feel robust.

Journeyman
    I loved the design since I first lay eyes on it but after having one I felt it was just a little too 'delicate'.

Not because of the construction or anything, but its surprisingly thin and light with a bulging sapphire crystal and despite alot of talk about it being sporty and dressy I found it to be a misfit in anything casual.

Guess I'm more of a Zenith man anyway!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes, I regard this design as a bit ‘delicate.’ It just feels a bit lightweight and lacking in durability. This may, of course, be unfair but once these ideas get in your head,they are hard to shake off.
    Pity because it is a quite glorious design. Just so good looking.