closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch

Journeyman

Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch

Hi all, just wanted to pick your guys brains for your suggestions on a go anywhere, do anything type watch.

The go-to suggestions for this category are always
    •Sinn 556
    •Omega Aqua Terra
    •Rolex Explorer

What do you guys have to add?

Master
    Richard Mille RM001.
    Or a casio F91.
    Or neither. Rolex sub?

Apologies, I'd be more use without a beer in my hand and with something to qualify choice - price point for example, or some idea of your daily routine (as in, what exactly does it need to stand up to?).

Have I got a 'Sunday' on me, or is this a totally pointless thread.

Depends what you mean by do anything. I wouldn't go for a bike ride in any of those but I wouldn't go anywhere in a G-Shock.

Craftsman
    I love the Rolex Explorer (in fact I own two: a 1016 and a 214270) but I believe that it is the marketing, rather than the watch, that creates the “tough watch” myth. It’s really no different to an Oyster Perpetual (apart from the clasp). It’s the same movement as the outgoing OP 39, the same 100m waterproofness, a similar high shine bezel which will get scratched to bits. It’s a fab looking watch but is not particularly rugged to meet your “do anything” criteria. What it is however is a “go anywhere” watch. It works as well with a suit as it does with hiking gear.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My Exp II 42mm (Polar) is my do everything watch. It never leaves my wrist and has the scars to show it, but it’s never missed a beat. Work, climbing European mountains in deep winter, gardening, swimming, fettling in the garage; it’s always on my wrist despite not feeling it at all, and the time zone feature is a bonus. I can wear it socially, in a suit or on the beach and it fits all occasions. I don’t have to worry about water ingress or treating it delicately.

I couldn’t imagine settling for anything else, after years of flipping all the other watches; this is the watch that effectively killed that side of the hobby for me. For me, nothing else compares, period.

But, as ever, it’s completely individual. But no one will ever say it’s not a versatile watch.

Master
    One of the Damasko DA range would fill the role

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I love the Rolex Explorer (in fact I own two: a 1016 and a 214270) but I believe that it is the marketing, rather than the watch, that creates the “tough watch” myth. It’s really no different to an Oyster Perpetual (apart from the clasp). It’s the same movement as the outgoing OP 39, the same 100m waterproofness, a similar high shine bezel which will get scratched to bits. It’s a fab looking watch but is not particularly rugged to meet your “do anything” criteria. What it is however is a “go anywhere” watch. It works as well with a suit as it does with hiking gear.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    In fairness, this is true, but also true of any watch except a g-shock. Wear a watch hard, and it’ll get scratched. But if you want a watch to really live with you, then the Exp II will do that, and it’ll look all he better for it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Apologies, I'd be more use without a beer in my hand
    Amen cheers buddy 😄

Recently got a new job, and wanted to treat myself to a new watch. Want a timepiece that i can wear to any occasion, from a business casual office setting, to by the campfire on a weekend with a beer 

Was shooting for the Smiths Everest, but that plan went up in flames. My other idea is the white dial Baltic Bicompax.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    Amen cheers buddy 

Recently got a new job, and wanted to treat myself to a new watch. Want a timepiece that i can wear to any occasion, from a business casual office setting, to by the campfire on a weekend with a beer 

Was shooting for the Smiths Everest, but that plan went up in flames. My other idea is the white dial Baltic Bicompax.
    What’s your budget? I stand by 42mm ExpII in White!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What’s your budget? I stand by 42mm ExpII in White!
    ~$700 dollars
    new job is at a bank, dont feel it would be appropriate to splurge on a polar dial explorer ii, as much as i would want to

Master

My Seiko SLA017
    Tool watch and no worries wearing it anywhere

Master
    Sinn 556 is the best choice, used, on that budget.

Master
    ~$700 dollars
    new job is at a bank, dont feel it would be appropriate to splurge on a polar dial explorer ii, as much as i would want to
    Ah ok, shame. Well, when you’re the CEO of the bank, and realise the Breguet and Patek can’t be worn for the weekend, then get the ExpII !

Good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Affordable category - CWC RN Quartz polished case

Bargain basement - Vostok Amphibia with smooth SS bezel

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Good call on the CWC

Master
    PRS18-Q. I've worn one pretty everywhere for ages - from the beach to interviews to board-room.

Wears really well; doesn't really get noticed; looks good on a strap; very accurate; more waterproof than you'll need.

Master
    This is all rather vague....
    If you want a real Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch, high street jewellers are full of bargain priced quartz watches that will stand huge amounts of rough treatment, can go swimming, and whose time keeping will remain remarkably accurate. And if you do succeed in breaking it, you can buy another equally cheaply.

No? So are you asking for an expensive Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch? Or an expensive mechanical Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    So are you asking for an expensive Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch? Or an expensive mechanical Go Anywhere, Do Anything watch?
    Ah, more like a Wear Anywhere watch. Realistically im not going to wear any watch while working out, at the beach or swimming. I daily wear my 40mm NTH Nacken diver to just about everywhere. Ive worn from hikes to weddings. I guess I want something like that, just less of a tool watch. Something that can go with any attire, to any occasion.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Sinn 556 is the best choice, used, on that budget.
    Yes thats probably what im gonna shoot for, or a Helios Seaforth. Another "charm" or quirk of a used watch for me will be i won't have to worry or anticipate that first scratch or mark.

Just wanted to add Halios Seaforth as well.

Master
    Does not your NTH Nacken diver already do what you are asking here?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

The whole GADA watch thing is a YouTube thing that’s come about in recent years. I saw someone the other day talking about how the Explorer is the best watch as he can wear it with a suit or with shorts and t-shirt. Yeah right mate. And you can do that with about five thousand other watches or more. It’s just a way to justify the ‘greatness’ of a watch that you’ve spent £££ on. I have a Seiko SNX and it looks fine with a suit and with causal gear and I’d happily change a set of spark plugs wearing it as I know that worst case I could replace it for a hundred quid, whereas most guys that say ‘I love my Explorer (or alternative) because it’s GADA’ probably baby it like nobody’s business. My mate gives it the biggun about his Explorer being GADA yet when I put it on a glass coffee table after trying it on he nearly had a stroke and was reaching for the watch cushion.

Basically virtually any watch is GADA because nobody else gives a monkeys if you wear a diver with a tux or an Aqua Terra to cut your hedge. It’s what we as owners feels comfortable doing in our watches and, generally, the more they cost us the more we baby them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Does not your NTH Nacken diver already do what you are asking here?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    yes, but i was asking originally some ideas for a GADA watch, trying to compile a list

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    My mate gives it the biggun about his Explorer being GADA yet when I put it on a glass coffee table after trying it on he nearly had a stroke and was reaching for the watch cushion.
    😂😂😂 reminds me of that meme of "Rolex owners then and rolex owners now"

but fair enough point. I just personally wouldnt wear a Seiko Tuna with a suit and tie.

in the end all expensive tool watches are still luxury accessories.

Master
    Ah, more like a Wear Anywhere watch. Realistically im not going to wear any watch while working out, at the beach or swimming. I daily wear my 40mm NTH Nacken diver to just about everywhere. Ive worn from hikes to weddings. I guess I want something like that, just less of a tool watch. Something that can go with any attire, to any occasion.
    If you are not going to wear it working out, at the beach or swimming I’d suggest you hardly need a ‘GADA’ watch.

I wear my watches in the sea, swimming pool, gardening, working out etc and enjoy them. It’s only since reading forums like this that I found people scared to take a watch with 100m water resistance swimming! Defeats the purpose in my humble opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    PRS-82

😂😂😂 reminds me of that meme of "Rolex owners then and rolex owners now"

but fair enough point. I just personally wouldnt wear a Seiko Tuna with a suit and tie.

in the end all expensive tool watches are still luxury accessories.
    Absolutely.

As others have said, it really depends on your genuine intentions for the watch. I’ve found that for all purposes, a 3 watch collection suits me best. I have a Tudor BlackBay41 which I wear most days to the office. In fairness this is a highly robust, monochrome, versatile watch with 150m WR and fantastic accuracy and I don’t really baby it too much. It’s a legit contender for a GADA watch. But I also have a TAG Heuer AquaRacer that I wear at weekends, holidays, beach,etc. all that kind of stuff, a proper sports watch that I don’t feel the need to baby. Finally I have a G-Shock that I beat the crap out of at the gym, football, camping, general outdoor pursuits and so on. In reality my Tudor could do it all, but it cost me a pretty penny so I tend to look after it and leave the rough stuff for the other two.

Craftsman
    I have a Sinn 556 and its a great watch but it’s not hardened in any way, if it was likely to get some abuse then I’d go with Damasko. They do da34 and da36 that look similar to the Sinn.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    If you are not going to wear it working out, at the beach or swimming I’d suggest you hardly need a ‘GADA’ watch.

I wear my watches in the sea, swimming pool, gardening, working out etc and enjoy them. It’s only since reading forums like this that I found people scared to take a watch with 100m water resistance swimming! Defeats the purpose in my humble opinion.
    Dont get me wrong, Ive swam and rock climbed in mine before. Its completely practical to wear a watch to time a run or swim etc. Its just for me, personally its not practical to wear a watch swimming or going to the beach. 1. Cleaning sand out of a bezel isn't exactly the most fun activity 😂 and 2. (before i go down a rabbit hole) if im going to the beach, im not going to want to keep track of time, I'd rather lose track of time if that makes sense

Rolex Subby. Reliable, comfy and very functional. Getting a bit punchy on the function/reddies ratio though.

On the West Highland Way earlier today:

Last edited by hughtrimble; 13th September 2020 at 21:47.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

Basically virtually any watch is GADA because nobody else gives a monkeys if you wear a diver with a tux or an Aqua Terra to cut your hedge.
    Exactly this, 99% of the population dont care what you wear.
    Only the insecure and nosy watch nerds.

This for me...
    On a fishing trip yesterday
    PAM 00194...a beast all together!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Moonwatch for me but some great options above

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Exactly this, 99% of the population dont care what you wear.
    Only the insecure and nosy watch nerds.
    yes, but what would be your pick

yes, but what would be your pick
    Which ever watch I put on in the morning, they all work in any situation.

But in the spirit of thread, mixed with some slightly sick humour....

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    But in the spirit of thread, mixed with some slightly sick humour....
    Saw that on IG earlier, refreshing to see someone wear something high end and not care about marks. Surprised to see how pristine in looked in the second pic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much any watch can GADA it depends on your attitude to risk of expensive items.

I use my 58 for most things but switch to a Seiko beater for some things that will likely bash the watch.

Blog Entries
    I wore my VC 4500v to the beach and also works with smart-causal, going out to dinner, watching TV, beers etc - it works for my everyday life, but I would not wear it with the chain-saw and brush clearing we were doing today.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Saw that on IG earlier, refreshing to see someone wear something high end and not care about marks. Surprised to see how pristine in looked in the second pic.
    I have several really bright/harsh led lights lamps on my desk for detail artwork, they’ll show up marks on the cleanest watch ;)
    After a cleaning off the muck, in real world lighting it looks fine.

Apprentice
    I’m at a similar decision point to you, and of the watches you listed I like the explorer. The aqua terra you can just walk in and buy though, which is nice - very pretty movement if you enjoy a display caseback.

Off list I’ve also been looking at the Omega Railmaster. Seems as capable as the aquaterra but a bit less dressy with all brushed finishes. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen both Omega options advertised with money off so both might be ripe for negotiation.

I’ve personally never considered a 556 though they are well liked on here. If I’m browsing Sinn I always find myself looking at EZM this that and the other

Craftsman
    The whole idea of a GADA watch in the world of TZ is flawed...... as the basic premise that such a watch does not exist, gives us justification for having more than 1 watch

Gaydar watches?

That's a new one on me

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Gaydar watches?

That's a new one on me

M

hehehe! Well this would be my ultimate "gaydar" watch -
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...-s-introducing

Get a TF Everest and treat yourself to a holiday with the money you've saved

I think GADA means different things to different people. It sounds like what you’re looking for is a watch which:

1) Costs less than $700 (US)
    2) Is a ‘versatile’ office watch, ie not a dress watch

You’re looking at dressy tool watch or a casual watch, this is a criteria I’m really keen on. I think the 556i is the standard answer for this. I’d personally go for the grey anniversary edition as the black dial is quite harsh and leans more towards tool watch. The Baltic Bicompax looks lovely, I’ve often flirted with picking one up but never found one at a price I’d be willing to jump on. If you were considering something else dressier: A Nomos club would be a good option too.

Something else to consider is a ‘compressor style’ diver: I often wear my Alpina Seastrong Heritage to the office, and I picked it up for about that price on eBay. Other options in that category are available: Dan Henry, Nodus Duality etc...

A Halios Seaforth is by all accounts a great watch but I think as soon as you stick an external bezel on a watch, it’s overtly a tool watch (in my opinion).

Lastly If you were stretching (doubling) the budget, a Black Bay 36 is to many eyes, the affordable explorer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The true answer is of course an Apple watch until the battery runs out but that's no fun.
    I'd say for me it's one of Eddies fine PRS-25 40mm's - automatic, tough and uncomplicated.

Blog Entries
    Surely something that won’t attract the attention of the local scrotes... For example ...

Solar powered too.
    So no hassles changing batteries.

I’m wary of wearing anything with Rolex or Omega on the dial in certain locations.
    So they are not 'go anywhere' watches for me.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 14th September 2020 at 14:01.

I tend to nanny any watch over £500 so would not do anything much with most of the watches mentioned here.

for me, cheaper seikos, gshocks and steinharts

Maybe a PRS-45 Aero timer?

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I have a Sinn 556 and its a great watch but it’s not hardened in any way, if it was likely to get some abuse then I’d go with Damasko. They do da34 and da36 that look similar to the Sinn.
    I've got both. The DA34 is my "I dare you" tool watch. The 556 is VERY low key and tough. Both could outlive me, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Ah ok, shame. Well, when you’re the CEO of the bank, and realise the Breguet and Patek can’t be worn for the weekend, then get the ExpII !

Good luck with the search.
    Hello Adrian, haven’t seen a post from you for ages...

Simon