closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOT-modest-C, pondering what next

Craftsman

SOT-modest-C, pondering what next

Hello all,

I'm pondering what I might want to add to my rather modest collection next, and it seems sensible to give the context of what I have at the moment, and I'm sure you lovely people can suggest what would make sense next.

Unfortunately the collection shot really don't show off the dials too well, but the IWC definitely wins there, but the cheap little Seiko 5 has a subtle silver sunburst.

L-R:

IWC Pilot's Chronograph "Le Petit Prince"
    Rolex GMT-II (early-2000s)
    Seiko 5 7009-3100 automatic (1980s?)
    Bulova Accutron (1969, not running)
    Citizen Ecodrive AWS-1410-08E (beater/holiday watch)
    Casio AE-1000W (climbing/beater/holiday watch)

The Bulova and the Seiko - both of which have had a bit of a hard life - I got from my father many moons ago. Unfortunately he had part-ex'ed his 1970s Oysterdate Precision before I got to say otherwise!

Despite giving the Bulova some TLC, updating to run on modern cells and a new crystal, it's been somewhat temperamental of late and isn't running. I do like the unusualness of the Accutron movement and the retro styling, but some more effort is going to be needed to revive it again.

I've had the GMT-II for a nearly 20 years now and it's been my daily (with the Bulova when it was running or the Seiko getting a day's wear here and there) until I added the gorgeous IWC to the mix a couple of years ago. Originally I was looking at a pilot chrono with a Sinn 857 or Damasko DC56 as front runners, but after handling the IWC and finding a good deal the IWC won out.
    The Rolex and IWC definitely share wrist-time, although since it's on a bracelet and is a good bit thinner than the IWC, the Rolex is an easier watch to wear and not worry about getting it wet or knocking it on things. I guess one option I've not looked at yet might be to switch the IWC onto a bracelet or non-leather strap.

Whilst the Seiko 5 is a nice enough watch, I don't trust the water resistance right now, and at 36mm, it's pretty small on my 18cm/7" wrist.

The Citizen and Casios are beaters after the GMT-II had a close encounter with a climbing wall and I've been visiting places where I'd not be comfortable with it on my wrist.

I'm now on the look out for something else to add to the mix, but I'm all over the map for what has been tickling my fancy. Generally, I'm looking at steel, a reasonable size - I'm not a small bloke so small watches feel a bit odd, for sports watches I'd prefer a bracelet over silicone/leather and I these days the thought of Rolex's prices frighten me - I'm glad I got mine when I did. I don't really swim and certainly don't dive, so dive watches (especially the more massive ones like Tunas) don't seem a rabbit hole I'll go down. Budget wise I'd like to keep things sensible: south of 2k, ideally under 1k.

The rather eclectic mix of things that have be getting my attention recently (lots of Seikos, though):

• Nomos Tagente 38 Midnight Blue - I do love the design, quality and that blue! It'd be nice to have a manual to go with the automatics, solar/Ecodrive and the Accutron (https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tang...night-blue-166)
    • Seiko Presage Cocktail Time "Skydiving" SRPB43 - it's a shame that the original isn't easy to come by, especially with the sapphire crystal and 6R movement, but the Presage looks like a nice consolation option. I do like the look of the US-market SRPB77 (https://seikousa.com/collections/pre...roducts/srpb77 with the blued hands and bracelet, but getting that over here looks awkward.
    • Seiko SARB033 or 035 - again, feels like it'd be nice to have a 6R and sapphire. Prices seem a to be going up, missed out on one on Fleabay and I'd be keen to know if it's really worth chasing down.
    • Seiko Samurai - yes, I know I said I don't dive, but I do rather like the look of the Samurai and a robust watch, on a bracelet with great lume is very tempting. The way Seiko prices are going, feels like now might be as good a time as ever.
    • Seiko SPB143 - oh, another diver. I know, I confuse myself.
    • Various retro dress Omegas and the like, although I've yet to do my research here.

I'd be keen to hear from people that have any of the watches I mention above, how they wear, good places to find them and suggestions for good, solid timepieces I've overlooked.

Journeyman
    Day Date. ALS Saxonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That’s a good collection, I like the IWC particularly.

If divers aren’t on your radar then perhaps a nice dress watch for those evening outings?

Not a Seiko owner so could not add anything but others will I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Day Date. ALS Saxonia.
    Ha! Whilst I love the look of the A Lange & Söhne, I'm a few zeros short on the budget for that!

Smiths Everest