closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Punching bags

Punching bags

Looking for a bit of advice in case there are any pugilists out there. Been wanting a heavy punch bag for some time but accumulation of crap in our garage meant there was no room but we’ve just hired a skip so garage will be cleared and I think we will get one now.

My question is whether a “hangfromtherafter” style is better than the “weightedfloorbase” style? My inclination is that the hanging one is better but would value your thoughts.

I'd always go hang from wall or ceiling. As much as I enjoy a Slam Man style, I think it affects the footwork, as in the base seems to get in the way.

Edit- I'd also suggest buying empty and filling yourself. I used a rolled up carpet for the middle and then fill with sand and foam balls (adjust to needs). After every workout, take from the hanger and let it rest upside down.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 13th September 2020 at 11:59.

Punching bags

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'd always go hang from wall or ceiling. As much as I enjoy a Slam Man style, I think it affects the footwork, as in the base seems to get in the way.
    That’s my thought. Sometimes you really want to get the lead foot almost under the target - especially if working on body shot hooks I find. If your foot is under the hangpoint the bag can be off centre if swinging too.

Edit - my son has used slam man style at classes but he uses it for Tae Kwon Do and to be fair it seems good for that. If enough room I might get him one of those also

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Edit - my son has used slam man style at classes but he uses it for Tae Kwon Do and to be fair it seems good for that. If enough room I might get him one of those also
    If you're training MMA then a Slam Man is great for low, mid and high kicks. If you have room for both bag and static, then you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    If you're training MMA then a Slam Man is great for low, mid and high kicks. If you have room for both bag and static, then you're golden.
    Ye I used to do Tae Keon Do too but my high kicking days are in the past I think . Thanks for the pointers though. Good stuff

Craftsman
    I use this, also great for hooks and uppercuts. Need to get some flags laid down though as not too clever on the shingle when driving in the shots - speed over distance = power

Not sure about kicking etc if suitable but certainly good for upper body workouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI

My son wanted one and we purchased one that had a wall bracket. He attached it like a demented looney and I’ve now got a long crack against the brick.

Craftsman
    Cannot beat a hanging one.
    Invest in a good swivel for it and make sure whatever you hang it to Is solid!
    I built a steel channel frame to hang mine from.

Mate of mine recently got back into training after many years and claimed the standing base bag he bought was top notch. They used to be garbage.

I’ve seen him knock a hanging bag off the ceiling, so I’d take him at his word.

Incidentally, I used to smash the heavy bag as hard as I could. Then one day a pro walked in and just tapped it, relatively speaking.

Might explain my knackered elbows.

I’d always go for a ceiling mounted bag. Just a lot more versatile for me.

Im currently looking at options for my new place.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Mate of mine recently got back into training after many years and claimed the standing base bag he bought was top notch. They used to be garbage.

I’ve seen him knock a hanging bag off the ceiling, so I’d take him at his word.

Incidentally, I used to smash the heavy bag as hard as I could. Then one day a pro walked in and just tapped it, relatively speaking.

Might explain my knackered elbows.
    Yep - both rotator cuffs have probs from hitting circular shots into a heavy (hanging) bag.

Depending on what you are doing, I’d have a long heavy bag for straight shots and circular kicks. The smaller hanging bag as per above is good for upper cuts and some light hooks/slaps, but I’d also get a Bob XL if you’re actually practicing to hit someone and do them damage.
    The Bob’s head flexes really well against slaps and hooks and you can rag him about and hit some knees etc if you want

Punching bags

Great advice gents. I’m just wanting to keep in shape - I still pack a decent punch but I doubt I’d knock the bag off likelihood in the garage is it would attach by looping over the ceiling joists which are open.

Sons requirements involve a lot more kicks so a base mounted one may also be required.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 11th October 2020 at 16:02.

Master
    I bought a century (or centurion?) free standing after 20 yrs away from any form of punching & kicking.

Awful mistake. Form was lost over the years but mind remembered what was possible. Despite wrapping & gloves managed to break both thumbs through a loss of form & distance, and also destroyed one elbow with a poor overstretch connection.

My doctor suggested I sell it, so did. A shame as before the injuries it was the best end to a day & fastest weight loss ever.

Guess I’m not 18 anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I bought a century (or centurion?) free standing after 20 yrs away from any form of punching & kicking.

Awful mistake. Form was lost over the years but mind remembered what was possible. Despite wrapping & gloves managed to break both thumbs through a loss of form & distance, and also destroyed one elbow with a poor overstretch connection.

My doctor suggested I sell it, so did. A shame as before the injuries it was the best end to a day & fastest weight loss ever.

Guess I’m not 18 anymore!
    Both thumbs? Crikey!! We’re your thumbs inside your fingers? Ouch

Craftsman
    As seems to be the general consensus I'd go with a ceiling mounted bag as gives you greater versatility, i.e. you can really plant your feet etc. You also have the option to change bag type should you wish. I'm a big fan of the aqua bags as they are great for throwing heavy shots. Only downside is I have never encountered an aqua bag that hasnt leaked at some stage so can't be that hard wearing.

I would go for rafter mounted. Just make sure you try and distribute the load onto a strong timber.

When I was younger I filled one up entirely with sand and was so eager to use it! Note to self - sand once compacted is like punching a tree! Oh dear

Master
    Both thumbs? Crikey!! We’re your thumbs inside your fingers? Ouch
    Not at the same time I should add! Nope not inside fingers lol, just a bad swing at the bag where my feet & body didn’t move enough and caught the bag badly.

To then repeat a few months later!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Not at the same time I should add! Nope not inside fingers lol, just a bad swing at the bag where my feet & body didn’t move enough and caught the bag badly.

To then repeat a few months later!

Wow that is unlucky. Never had that issue thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Cannot beat a hanging one.
    I thought that was the idea though?

Craftsman
    Had to read it twice but got it second time lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I thought that was the idea though?

Punching bags

6 hours yesterday and 5 hours today spent completely gutting our garage which had accumulated floor to rafter clutter over 20 yrs.

A full Skip is now outside our house.

Bloody shattered but there’s now space for the punching bag !!

Century BOB Freestanding Punch Bag Height Adjustable 60-78 inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00329TV..._tDWGFbHFAR863

Not sure what your budget is but I have one of these and use it 3 times a week and it is absolutely brilliant. It responds like you’re hitting a real person. It’s free standing so can be moved around as well.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Apart from not punching back!

I wanted this, bet ended up with a free standing bag, as my wife was convinced she’d spot it in the room at night & scare herself!

Punching bags

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Century BOB Freestanding Punch Bag Height Adjustable 60-78 inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00329TV..._tDWGFbHFAR863

Not sure what your budget is but I have one of these and use it 3 times a week and it is absolutely brilliant. It responds like you’re hitting a real person. It’s free standing so can be moved around as well.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Is the similarity to Donald Trump accidental?

I reckon 3-4 hours tomorrow will finish it. Few more boxes to remove and it’s done.

Last edited by RustyBin5; 11th October 2020 at 16:10.

Blog Entries
    Not on-topic but perhaps relevant: coat the floor with a proper concrete floor finish/paint. I will save you a lot of dust and it's easier to clean when you're working that punching bag. With everything out of the way, this is the moment to apply it.

Menno

Punching bags

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Not on-topic but perhaps relevant: coat the floor with a proper concrete floor finish/paint. I will save you a lot of dust and it's easier to clean when you're working that punching bag. With everything out of the way, this is the moment to apply it.

Menno
    Yeah I’ll finish the clear out and consider that next - although wife just mentioned the decking needs painted

Ffs

Master
    I have a Century Bob XL. For kickboxing, martial arts etc there is nothing better. It's height adjustable and the composition of the "Bob" is like hitting a real life opponent.

Blog Entries
    I always find a light slap generally works

Pitch

Punching bags

Well it took a bit of working out re loads etc but I got there. I did some chin ups on the beam and it was rock solid so a bag will be no issue. Had to put packing pieces on the truss pieces to have a level surface for the beam.

Quite happy with it and bonus is it’s slightly to one side so it’s practical. Had a few trial swings at it and plenty space around it. need to paint or line the wall on the right now too
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 29th November 2020 at 13:08.

I would advise on removing the hook and buying a flat loop type fixing- I will send you a pic of mine so you know what I mean. When you hit the bag especially if it's heavy it will spin the hook and unscrew it. You will be forever messing on screwing it back in.
    Look at "Geezers Boxing" online. They have all the gear you will need including heavy bag and fixings.

I will send you over a pic soon.

Alex

Also change the open hooks that attach to the bag as you’ll be forever messing on mid workout hooking it back on!

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I would advise on removing the hook and buying a flat loop type fixing- I will send you a pic of mine so you know what I mean. When you hit the bag especially if it's heavy it will spin the hook and unscrew it. You will be forever messing on screwing it back in.
    Look at "Geezers Boxing" online. They have all the gear you will need including heavy bag and fixings.

I will send you over a pic soon.

Alex
    I did think about the bolt unscrewing - it’s bolted right through. To stop it unscrewing I chose to superglue the bolt in place. Happy enough to cut it off if I need a better solution, but it can’t unscrew.

I did think about the bolt unscrewing - it’s bolted right through. To stop it unscrewing I chose to superglue the bolt in place. Happy enough to cut it off if I need a better solution, but it can’t unscrew.
    Should be fine then, just keep an eye on it. Please look at changing the chain end pieces so they are locked rather than open. A total pain having to keep hooking the bag back onto the chains mid session!

Also change the open hooks that attach to the bag as you’ll be forever messing on mid workout hooking it back on!

That’s interesting and I can see the benefit of that set up.

Should be fine then, just keep an eye on it. Please look at changing the chain end pieces so they are locked rather than open. A total pain having to keep hooking the bag back onto the chains mid session!
    That I can definitely relate to

Master
    Anyone tried a water bag?

Found it weird at first as you can give it a proper hook and it will hardly move but I think I like it better now and seems to hurt my shoulders and other joints less.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Anyone tried a water bag?

Found it weird at first as you can give it a proper hook and it will hardly move but I think I like it better now and seems to hurt my shoulders and other joints less.
    I've looked at them. How do they compare to the heavy bag for workout? It would mean I would have to replace the heavy bag for it as I don't have the room for both.

Master
    Before you replace your heavy bag I would find a gym with one to hit.

I like them as you can uppercut etc and you can give them a proper pasting without ending up as sore as hitting a normal heavy bag.

Because of the shape of them you do lose the ability to lean on them and give them body blows etc.

Thanks for all the tips, I'm hoping to get one too.
    Are leather punchbags better than PU?

Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, I'm hoping to get one too.
    Are leather punchbags better than PU?
    Leather can absorb moisture - not sure if that’s a factor.