closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton PSR. Talk me out of it.

Hamilton PSR. Talk me out of it.

I’m strangely interested in getting a Hamilton PSR but my head is saying ‘don’t be silly’. I can get a new one for £560 but it’s still £300 more than a very similar Gerlach kosmonauta (2nd pic). For some reason I’m liking the Hamilton more. I would imagine it’s finished better, has a better bracelet and the time is viewable without having to press the button but is it £300 better?! Please bring me to my senses.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 12th September 2020 at 14:41.

Master
    That's not bad not bad at all! If you like it just buy it because if you don't you'll kick yourself forever.

I've been seriously considering one of these since it was announced a while back. Is the £560 deal generally available / something you can share, or a special for you?

The fact people are asking you about that deal.means that if you tire if it you could probably sell it on SC for £475 or so and not lose your shirt on it

They look pretty different to me.

Is the bigger dial/screen more practical? How good is your eyesight?

Definitely wouldn’t talk you out of buying either of them.

The Gerlach looks like a cheap ebay special to me. I appreciate it may have a better case, but the original LEDs never had displays like that with the thicker segments. Having said that the PSR doesn't have an LED display at all, although it looks more similar to the original Pulsars. I would go with the PSR.

Thank you. All very good points gentlemen, but you really aren’t helping. I was expecting a bit more negativity towards the PSR. The case for buying one is getting stronger.

You can buy it from Jura watches special Pre order price of £500.00

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Sorry no help from me, buy it immediately its a cool thing...

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You can buy it from Jura watches special Pre order price of £500.00

Is the remaining £175 balance payable when it comes into stock?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thank you. All very good points gentlemen, but you really aren’t helping. I was expecting a bit more negativity towards the PSR. The case for buying one is getting stronger.
    Watch the new Bond trailer then try to imagine Craig wearing one. Case closed.

No it's £500.00 pre order special deal. Can't see anything about paying another £175.00 https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...artz-h52414130
    Last edited by sickie; 12th September 2020 at 19:14.

Master

I would imagine this is the case. It’s listed at £675 with £500 to pre order one. It’s not obvious that this is the final price to pay. Jura have had pre order prices for watches before but they’’ve been about the same amount from memory. That comes across as a sizeable deposit to encourage Jura to get it into stock for the buyer.

Ant

I've just been through the whole ordering process without clicking pay now and nowhere does it mention deposit or anything about having to pay another £175.00.
    I can't see them trying to pull a fast one as that would be illegal. I just can't see them trying that sort of thing on.

I went through the whole process and did click pay now . Nothing mentioned about another £175 and I have a receipt for £500.

Thanks for that heads up! It’s a good saving on full rrp.

So much for being talked out of it!

Glad to be of help
    I went through the whole process and did click pay now . Nothing mentioned about another £175 and I have a receipt for £500.

Thanks for that heads up! It’s a good saving on full rrp.

So much for being talked out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Watch the new Bond trailer then try to imagine Craig wearing one. Case closed.
    It's more of a Roger Moore watch.

It's pretty retro-cool and the case finishing looks lovely. My only concern would be the height, it looks a bit slab-sided.

13.5 mm high apparently.

I thought they were a bit too expensive when they came out, but at £500 I've just ordered one too.

I guess I am in the minority but I much prefer the Kosmonauta as its based on a genuine space watch, I am pretty surprised its not more popular to be honest. I am sure the Hamilton is better made but probably much in the same way a Hamilton will be better made than a Vostok or Strela but then doesnt have the vintage charm that the Gerlach has.

You better cancel thoes pre order buys.
    Believe it or not I've just had Jura on the phone asking if I want to complete the purchase then mentioned I will also be getting a 10% discount when it's due for delivery. So I said that's £450 then? No it's £500.00 pre order then their's another £175.00 to pay afterwards. I was like WTF. Nowhere on you're website does it even mention that and we got into it back and forwards but all he would say is that it's a pre order price.
    I point out that it's misleading people but again with the pre order sh*t.
    In the end I told him to f**k off and hung up.

I'm steaming right now.

Please if you ordered one. Cancel the order because they are taking the p*ss

I apologise to anyone who ordered one.

Last edited by sickie; 13th September 2020 at 11:57.

I've notified the 2 people I see here who have ordered and made them aware of this post and for my sins I've also donated £20.00 to Eddie's charity.

Apologies once again.

They should be transparent and say £500 and then £175 upon delivery. Surely this should be crystal clear and included on the receipt.

I've notified the 2 people I see here who have ordered and made them aware of this post and for my sins I've also donated £20.00 to Eddie's charity.

Apologies once again.

As I said via PM, no need to apologise. You were being helpful and it’s Jura who very clearly are not being upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    They should be transparent and say £500 and then £175 upon delivery. Surely this should be crystal clear and included on the receipt.
    Absolutely. The receipt doesn’t state anywhere that another £175 will be due. Also at no point of the ordering process was this stated.

Craftsman
    Cool watch very retro

But total dicks on the scam will not now even consider them for future purchases

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep any business they might of got from me is definitely off the card's now.
    Pluss I'm probably on a band list their now due to my profanity
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Cool watch very retro

But total dicks on the scam will not now even consider them for future purchases

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

You better cancel thoes pre order buys.
    Believe it or not I've just had Jura on the phone asking if I want to complete the purchase then mentioned I will also be getting a 10% discount when it's due for delivery. So I said that's £450 then? No it's £500.00 pre order then their's another £175.00 to pay afterwards. I was like WTF. Nowhere on you're website does it even mention that and we got into it back and forwards but all he would say is that it's a pre order price.
    I point out that it's misleading people but again with the pre order sh*t.
    In the end I told him to f**k off and hung up.

I'm steaming right now.

Please if you ordered one. Cancel the order because they are taking the p*ss

I apologise to anyone who ordered one.

I thought the 10% discount from Jura was on selected brands and some were not applicable. I always assumed pre-order watches were exempt from any discount.

Journeyman
    I have a fair bit of sympathy for the pre-order mess. Never having used or even browsed the Jura site I thought to have a poke around and check their proceedures/T&C's or whatever covers this ambiguity. Couldn't find anything useful on the topic. I did find the following though, check these other items, also available for pre-order:

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...d6d6bb29&_ss=r

These make it pretty clear what someone is getting in to, but the fact they choose this method is a bit unpleasant given there apppears to be no direct explanation anywhere. I can imagine them saying it's not ambiguous given that the page prior to the individual watch clearly shows the price and should be enough (https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...-40-8-x-34-7mm) This thread seems to show that it isn't/is unclear enough that some are confused by it.

I find it difficult to believe this hasn't come up before and would expect them to be well aware of it given they appear to be a fairly sizeable operation. In link 4 above I reckon it's fairly clear that the pre-order in simply a deposit, on the Hamilton much less so. Quite why they choose the same 'deposit' on a £2.5k watch as a sub £700 one I'm not sure. Based on the stuff I've shown here I doubt it's as manipulative as it first appears, but would still bet on them having had this issue previously.

I like that watch, so I can't talk you out of it. I really like Hamilton...it's always the display in a jewellers window that has me interested...lots of models I'd like to try!

I also like their marketing...https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/psr

Long story short I ended up with a PSR from Jura after all for £575. Here's my review:

I'll start with a question - why has Hamilton brought out a reissue of the Pulsar P2 of 1973? 3 reasons I think:
    a) To cash in on a trend for reissue of vintage digital watches such as the Bulova Computron or the Timex LCA
    b) The original Pulsar was made by Hamilton but they sold the brand to Seiko in the late 70s
    c) To celebrate the "first" digital watch - it was the first mass market digital watch I believe

The watch has the same case shape as the P2 even down to the location of the button above centre of the side of the case. It has Hamilton instead of Pulsar for the above stated reason. The bracelet looks similar but has a double deployant clasp instead of a fold over clasp which on the P2 contained the setting magnet.

The display uses both LCD and OLED displays. The LCD is always on but not always visible in all lighting conditions.

For when you can't read it or want the authentic look then the button activates the transparent OLED display which sits above the LCD display. I originally thought this was an OLED backlight behind the LCD but it does appear on top and the numerals are slightly larger than the LCD ones. The dot matrix is very evocative of the original.

There is a seconds display but no date or month. That's all the original had, and you may like it if you appreciate the simplicity of a time only watch. But I would rather have a date function too.

Unlike the original, the caseback features an engraving of a Pulsar - these are fast rotating stars that emit radio waves from their magnetic pols as shown in the engraving. They produce very regular pulses - just what you need for measuring time.

(Not my pic)

Also different from the original is how you set the watch. Instead of setting magnets and reed switches on the module, it is set by holding the single button down for varying time periods which works ok.

So what to make of the PSR, is it merely an expensive novelty item? Or is it no different to a modern mechanical watch in that it's a well executed iteration of an outdated technology? Unlike the Bulova reissue the PSR is the latter. There's genuine useful innovation with the always on LCD and more importantly the 100m water resistance which makes it much more practical than the original. But I would have preferred it if they had included a date function to avoid having to fish your phone out of your pocket when the need arises.
    Last edited by Caruso; 18th October 2020 at 23:00.

Master
    I have a Fossil LED watch that I would love to wear again. But I can’t for the life of me get the back off to change the batteries (cut myself attempting this) and fear that age and old batteries may have killed it off. That being the case I’m REALLY interested in picking up one of these. Have seen them in the window but not yet tried on as it could lead to a haggle :-)

Ant

Big fan of these, but then anyone that knows me would expect that. Great buy, would love one myself although it's the Omega Time Computer I'd really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Big fan of these, but then anyone that knows me would expect that. Great buy, would love one myself although it's the Omega Time Computer I'd really like.
    I have both but I prefer the PSR. The quality is better and the innovations make it much more practical. Still love the big gold TC2 though!