closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More Seiko Pogue business

More Seiko Pogue business

Another recurring theme for me - yellow dial Seiko Pogue's

As a result of what could only be some some kind mental aberration I recently bought a Franken cheap from eBay. I really should know better by now. Anyway, good job it was cheap as the aftermarket dial was poor and there were numerous problems with the internals - most of which are now sorted out thanks to Brendan. Its still a work in progress and is becoming a 'true Pogue' homage - with a better quality a/m resist dial fitted. Keeping the replaced hands and inner dial but fitted a NOS bezel and insert. I have a straight link Uncle Seiko bracelet ready to fit. Really not sure whether I will keep this one of whether the fact that it is a bitsa will wind me up. It may well end up on the auction site in a red plastic Seiko box from the early 70's. Not sure. Anyway, here it is as I found it, quickset day/date not working and poor timekeeping.

I will take a hit if I do sell it. Something of a cautionary tail for for those new to Pogue land.

Next up and far more promising is this one

1973 plain dial and has circulated on the forum a few times. All original aside from the Uncle Seiko tapered bracelet. I wore it daily for a couple of weeks and the time keeping was superb. The only (minor) thing I can fault is that the chrono hand doesnt reset exactly to zero. This actually doesnt bother me as much as it might have at one time - I keep the chrono running all the time anyway. A lovely, honest and reliable example. Problem is, it isnt a resist dial. Its currently on the auction site but if it doesn't meet the reserve it will be going back in the cupboard as I am determined not to lose any money on this particular one. (Update: it hit the reserve a few minutes ago so it will go - someone will be getting a good one, however the money will ofset the latest purchase)

Then along came an almost pristine plain dial via the forum

Refurbished by Duncan a few years ago and all original aside from the high quality East Tech bracelet. Almost too nice and original to wear! So whats the best thing to do when you have bought an almost as new totally original example at a great price? Well you sell it of course! In my own defense what I was really searching for was an all original resist dial and this did go to a long standing TZ member so it does remain within the community.

Ah! an original 'True Pogue' resist dial!

Well almost - as it doesn't have the 17J legend like the Colonels. Still pretty close. A 1971 example, aftermarket crystal so not totally original. Keeps excellent time with a good power reserve. I replaced the standard spring bars with shoulderless ones for maximum security for wear on the best strap in the world. Its in great shape but not so pristine that I worry about wearing it!

The Pogue, CWC RN quartz diver, Amphibia and various 1016 homages (PRS 25 being the current best one) are the watches I keep coming back to time after time. I seem unable to escape their gravitational pull. Perhaps I should just keep a good example of each and stop trying. It would also be good if I could get a grip on that part of my Aspergers that compels me to by multiples of things I like too, but Im not holding my breath.

Ian
    Last edited by Velorum; 5th September 2020 at 14:12.

Master
    Use the bitsa as a beater.

The value will probably continue to climb, sell it when you can break even.

Thanks for sharing all the research, still on the lookout myself for one one day. Something about the design, heritage and gold of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Is the “resist” dial more desirable?

I have a pogue which I believe to be original as I inherited it from my father who bought it new in 1974. I think it is a 1972 model from memory as I looked into it a few years back. I don’t think the dial has “resist” printed on it.

I think it is all original and it has only been serviced once or twice that I’m aware of. My father hardly wore it as he found it heavy apparently. It sat in his drawer for years, although it has a fair few scratches to the case, crystal and bracelet. I only wear it occasionally but it seems to run nicely which is impressive given its age and lack of servicing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Colonel Pogues one was a 'resist' dial so is more sought after by those that want a 6139 as close to his as possible.

They go for higher prices than the plain dial ones.

The 'proof dial ones seem pricier still.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination - but a number of here are. If you post a picture of it on here they will give an opinion Im sure.

Hang on to it. They are lovely things. If your going to wear it often then an Eastech or Uncle Seiko bracelet wears better than the original bracelet IMO.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I will have to take a look at the dial and see which it is.

I will never let it go due to its sentimental value. I never even realised the colonel pogue connection until a couple of years ago.

I will look into the alternative bracelets, that is a large part of why I rarely wear it. The bracelet is quite rattly and not the most secure.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Colonel Pogues one was a 'resist' dial so is more sought after by those that want a 6139 as close to his as possible.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination - but a number of here are. If you post a picture of it on here they will give an opinion Im sure.

Hang on to it. They are lovely things. If your going to wear it often then an Eastech or Uncle Seiko bracelet wears better than the original bracelet IMO.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Seems mine is a plain dial. The uncle Seiko bracelets look a good option, I might give one a go

I like that, if you ever want to move it on let me know please?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It really is very hard for my eyes to tell between the two dials. I would be very happy with that result.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master

The 'true Pogue' is a 6005 model made for the US market so resist dial and no chronograph text under the Seiko logo. These have been fetching silly money recently and are now worth similar or more than most of the Proof dial watches. The earliest proof dials with a 94 or 95 serial* are top of the money tree as these are cold hard evidence that Seiko were the first to produce an automatic chronograph.

*There are some 6139's with a 93 serial - March 1969 but I'm not sure if any are yellow dial Pogue's.

I do so like these.

I passed up on one last year that was late 70s and less than €700.

Oh well.

I love mine and have a 7a28 in the same colour scheme - which is your old one Ian.

I really dislike the ones full of after market / fake parts but your all original one looks very nice, I prefer the OEM non flared bracelet on the RESIST and PROOF.