closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko tuna- new vs old

Seiko tuna- new vs old

I bought one of the new tunas and received it today. A couple of observations
    - the newer tunas are slightly thicker as the bezel is thicker as is the shroud.
    - the lume plots are not as big as the vintage tunas- I actually prefer the vintage plots
    - bezel action much better on newer tuna, easier to grip
    - prefer the newer thicker hands
    - prefer the newer black day / date
    - the dome of crystal of vintage tunas much nicer than sapphire that has a much smaller dome and is more subtle
    -i get the impression that dial size is larger in the older tunas
    - i think that overall prefer fial elements of older piece

Looking good Mamas.
    Are you keeping both?

The vintage one has more character, but they are different enough to keep both. I will probably sell off the solar tuna as i cant see that i will wear it again
    It was a toss up between this and a Darth Tuna, but i dont think my 6.5cm wrist would take such a watch- it would just look silly

Which models are you comparing out of interest?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

the new release S23629 VS 1978 7549-7010

here is a review to the new one: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...29-introducing

Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK View Post
    the new release S23629 VS 1978 7549-7010

here is a review to the new one: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...29-introducing
    Thanks

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Looks like they haven’t gone too far with the new design at a quick glance. Some other models have changed more. I thought some newer tuna models had black hands the last few years? But with all those Seiko releases hard to keep track. If true they have actually gone back to older designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I am late to the party here but I had the new Tuna pop up in a YouTube feed this morning. It looks great, but why didn't they keep the SBBN prefix; it's now S23629, not quite as catchy as before.

Anyway, I went to have a look at the price - yikes - £1300.
    I know the Tunas have always been quite expensive, but I don't know how many new ones will sell at full retail price. It makes my 031 a bit of a bargain!

I think I'll be passing on that one. A £300 bump in price for sapphire glass and a new handset .

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I am late to the party here but I had the new Tuna pop up in a YouTube feed this morning. It looks great, but why didn't they keep the SBBN prefix; it's now S23629, not quite as catchy as before.
    The S23629 is also known as the SBBN045. They also do a blue version SBBN043.

The latest model has a flat sapphire that's domed on the inside. It looks rather nice.

I own a collection of steel 300m Tuna's and I like the latest model SBBN045 as much as my 7549-7010's.

Last edited by j111dja; 18th January 2021 at 22:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

The latest model has a flat sapphire that's domed on the inside. It looks rather nice.

I own a collection of steel 300m Tuna's and I like the latest model SBBN045 as much as my 7549-7010's.
    Thanks for the info and comparrison photos, they really do show off the evolution the Tuna has been through.

I saw the model number on the Seiko Boutique and assumed they had dropped the SBBN prefix. I think the new version looks great, just need one to pop up on SC for about £500!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

Does the new Tuna (s23629) have a kanji day wheel? I'm guessing not if not jdm.
    Its one of the things I liked about the old ones I've had.
    Loving the new one though, a return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    Does the new Tuna (s23629) have a kanji day wheel? I'm guessing not if not jdm.
    Its one of the things I liked about the old ones I've had.
    Loving the new one though, a return to form.
    Mine has an English/French day wheel. It is a UK supplied watch.

Wow the price of these have gone crazy. I bought my 033 Tuna brand new about 3 years ago for £550. A sapphire crystal doesn't really justify the price hike. Shame that they no longer have Marinemaster on the dial, identified them as something special, now they just have the prospex X logo, just like a low end Seiko diver. Kanji dates were also a nice detail, I always have mine set to Kanji, looks cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM35F View Post
    Wow the price of these have gone crazy. I bought my 033 Tuna brand new about 3 years ago for £550. A sapphire crystal doesn't really justify the price hike. Shame that they no longer have Marinemaster on the dial, identified them as something special, now they just have the prospex X logo, just like a low end Seiko diver. Kanji dates were also a nice detail, I always have mine set to Kanji, looks cooler.
    Prices have gone crazy with most brands. Seiko included. MM300's and SBBN Tunas were (like everything else) much more fairly priced several years ago. I don't think adding a sapphire justifies the retail price, but at a sale price, it was great value IMHO.

The missing MM on the dial I do miss. Yes, the X logo is now on the dial, but I can confirm that the SBBN045 ain't no low end Diver. That's based on ownership of this along with many other Tuna's.

I like a Kanji. I do have other Seiko's that are set to the Kanji day wheel. It's not a deal breaker for me.

I was certainly not suggesting your Tuna was low end! I'm a huge fan and have had three over the years. Just a shame a name with some heritage and kudos has been lost from the dial. I know what you mean about prices, when I bought mine I was in two minds as they had been 300 ish when I first noticed them a few years before. Am glad you are happy with yours, they are a superb watch, I love wearing mine, feels special wearing a watch that is a classic which ever variant you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM35F View Post
    I was certainly not suggesting your Tuna was low end! I'm a huge fan and have had three over the years. Just a shame a name with some heritage and kudos has been lost from the dial. I know what you mean about prices, when I bought mine I was in two minds as they had been 300 ish when I first noticed them a few years before. Am glad you are happy with yours, they are a superb watch, I love wearing mine, feels special wearing a watch that is a classic which ever variant you have.
    Not at all. I was just expressing my thoughts.
    Last edited by j111dja; 26th January 2021 at 01:12.

No worries, my favourite watch in my collection, hope you enjoy yours.

Had and still have tuna's as one of my all time favourites. Currently I have sbbn07 and sbbn025. I used to prefer the older hands style but the sbbn25 (or 300m 031/33/35/37) kind of grew to me as well.
    On the new ones sapphire is a step forward. Step back is the price, feels like paying for the sapphire upgrade is way too much. Also, at least for me, the hands are a no-go. Just too massive and remind me of Citizen divers from the 90's that just dont suit the tuna (one photo of my ex 800m Citizen from that era)

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk