closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alan Minter RIP

Master
    Blog Entries

Alan Minter RIP

Alan Minter as died aged 69 of Cancer. I remember vividly the fight when he won the World Middleweight Title in 1980
    RIP Alan
    Last edited by hilly10; 11th September 2020 at 07:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Alan Minter as died aged 69 of Cancer. I remember vividly the fight when he won the World Middleweight Title in 1980
    RIP Alan
    RIP 'boom boom' Minter
    I remember Alan boxing as an amateur at the Olympics in 1972 and coming away with a bronze.
    He struggled as a pro early on due to getting cut but still had the look of a future champion.
    He got stopped by Ronnie Harris on cuts just as the American's corner was about to throw in the towel.
    He won and lost against Gratien Tonna, the loss being a stoppage to cuts.
    He had 3 wars with domestic rival Kevin Finnegan who later gave Marvin Hagler 2 tough fights.
    Tragedy followed a European title triumph when his opponent Angelo Jacopucci died after being stopped in 12 rounds.
    The man he took the title from, Vito Antuofermo, was tailor made for Alan as he came forward, was easy to hit and cut up even more than the Englishman and so it proved, Minter having quite an easy night.
    In the return Minter stopped the Italian American in 8 rounds and dropped him in the process.
    Minter lost his title in 3 rounds to future great Marvin Hagler and was ill advised to make racist comments.
    His last fight was a loss vs Tony Sinson.I was just as sure that Minter would beat Sibson as I was that Minter would beat Antuofermo.I can remember by trainer telling me Sibson would win and I scoffed at that.

When I boxed as an amateur in the 70's I wore the same red Gola boxing boots as Minter and John H Stracey another British world champion, but they didn't bring me the same success.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    RIP 'boom boom' Minter
    I remember Alan boxing as an amateur at the Olympics in 1972 and coming away with a bronze.
    He struggled as a pro early on due to getting cut but still had the look of a future champion.
    He got stopped by Ronnie Harris on cuts just as the American's corner was about to throw in the towel.
    He won and lost against Gratien Tonna, the loss being a stoppage to cuts.
    He had 3 wars with domestic rival Kevin Finnegan who later gave Marvin Hagler 2 tough fights.
    Tragedy followed a European title triumph when his opponent Angelo Jacopucci died after being stopped in 12 rounds.
    The man he took the title from, Vito Antuofermo, was tailor made for Alan as he came forward, was easy to hit and cut up even more than the Englishman and so it proved, Minter having quite an easy night.
    In the return Minter stopped the Italian American in 8 rounds and dropped him in the process.
    Minter lost his title in 3 rounds to future great Marvin Hagler and was ill advised to make racist comments.
    His last fight was a loss vs Tony Sinson.I was just as sure that Minter would beat Sibson as I was that Minter would beat Antuofermo.I can remember by trainer telling me Sibson would win and I scoffed at that.

When I boxed as an amateur in the 70's I wore the same red Gola boxing boots as Minter and John H Stracey another British world champion, but they didn't bring me the same success.
    Rest in peace and great summary of his career. There really was lots of legends around those days 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Rest in peace and great summary of his career. There really was lots of legends around those days ðŸ‘
    Thanks.
    I knew he'd been ill but I didn't know it was cancer.

PS I think Kevin Finnegan would've beaten Antuofermo too.
    Finnegan didn't bang like Minter could but he box, move and had a rock hard chin

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to love my boxing back in the day, but us Brits never had lot to shout about in the 70s and 80s then Minter won a World Title to me it was a god send RIP

I remember the Hagler fight in 1980 - I was only 9 but my father had got me into boxing in a big way having been involved in amateur clubs and sponsoring a number of boxers. My weekend were often spent touring around going to boxing dinners and watching bouts.

The Minter v Hagler fight was not a high point for British Boxing of course due to the result, racial tension and crowd behaviour but for some reason it really sticks in my mind watching the highlights and seeing Minter well and truly beaten. He was a big name for me as a kid and remember his smile fondly.

Rip Alan

Master
    I used to love my boxing back in the day, but us Brits never had lot to shout about in the 70s and 80s then Minter won a World Title to me it was a god send RIP
    We didn't have much to shout about in the Heavyweight division during the 70's and that didn't change till Lennox Lewis came on the scene but we did have Ken Buchanan and Jim Watt at Lighweight, John H Stracey at Welter, Maurice Hope at Light Middle and John Conteh at Light Heavyweight who all won world titles

Last edited by RD200; 11th September 2020 at 11:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I remember the Hagler fight in 1980 - I was only 9 but my father had got me into boxing in a big way having been involved in amateur clubs and sponsoring a number of boxers. My weekend were often spent touring around going to boxing dinners and watching bouts.

The Minter v Hagler fight was not a high point for British Boxing of course due to the result, racial tension and crowd behaviour but for some reason it really sticks in my mind watching the highlights and seeing Minter well and truly beaten. He was a big name for me as a kid and remember his smile fondly.

Rip Alan
    Respect to your dad
    I still have fond memories of amateur boxing and looked up to my trainers and trainers from other amateur clubs.
    The amateur boxing scene hasn't changed that much in the last 40-50 years, and probably longer.
    Although the bouts are supposedly made online that's only in theory.

Master
    We didn't have much to shout about in the Heavyweight division which didn't change till Lennox Lewis came on the scene but we did have Ken Buchanan and Jim Watt at Lighweight, John H Stracey at Welter, Maurice Hope at Light Middle and John Conteh at Light Heavyweight who all won world titles

Always remember Lloyd Honeyghan beating Don (the cobra)Curry over in the states.
    Curry was regarded as best pound for pound boxer in those days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Always remember Lloyd Honeyghan beating Don (the cobra)Curry over in the states.
    Curry was regarded as best pound for pound boxer in those days.
    Yeah Lloyd was a bigger underdog than my hero Randy Turpin was when he beat Sugar Ray Robinson.
    Curry was being lined up as a future Marvin Hagler opponent at Middleweight and was struggling to get down to 147lb.
    As you say Curry was p4p king at the time but Honeyghan had no fear at all and jumped all over Curry battering him over 6 rounds.
    The Americans didn't see that coming at all and Curry's career never got back to where it was even though he went up to Light Middleweight.
    Earlier in the decade Charlie Magri and Terry Marsh had both won world titles at Fly and Light Welterweight and of course Barry Mcguigan had triumphed at Featherweight on Loftus Road.

Last edited by RD200; 11th September 2020 at 11:32.

Master
    Yeah Lloyd was a bigger underdog than my hero Randy Turpin was when he beat Sugar Ray Robinson.
    Curry was being lined up as a future Marvin Hagler opponent at Middleweight and was struggling to get down to 147lb.
    As you say Curry was p4p king at the time but Honeyghan had no fear at all and jumped all over Curry battering him over 6 rounds.
    The Americans didn't see that coming at all and Curry's career never got back to where it was even though he went up to Light Middleweight.
    Earlier in the decade Charlie Magri and Terry Marsh had both won world titles at Fly and Light Welterweight and of course Barry Mcguigan had triumphed at Featherweight on Loftus Road.

In those days every decent British boxer seemed to be with Terry Lawless who for whatever reason reminded me of Arthur Daley.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    In those days every decent British boxer seemed to be with Terry Lawless who for whatever reason reminded me of Arthur Daley.
    Yeah and through Terry Lawless Mickey Duff.
    Honeyghan couldn't stand Duff but had to go with him.

Reminiscing about 80s British boxing I am now recalling seeing Terry Marsh fight as an amateur a few times and then went to a couple of his professional bouts. He fell from grace!
    Last edited by Bootsy; 11th September 2020 at 12:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Reminiscing about 80s British boxing I am now recalling seeing Terry Marsh fight as an amateur a few times and then went to a couple of his professional bouts. He fell from grace!
    Marsh won the ABA's a couple of times when I was boxing.
    He was as hard as nails, a fireman, marine and top level chess player too.
    I wonder if him and Frank Warren reminisce about the old days

Met Alan minter a couple of times during the 80:s and 90,s when I boxed.
    Nice chap. Always remember the hagler fight.

RIP Alan Minter. A true pro. I am currently in the rabbit hole of YouTube watching some 80s fights.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Met Alan minter a couple of times during the 80:s and 90,s when I boxed.
    Nice chap. Always remember the hagler fight.
    I always wanted to meet him and I know he would have been exactly as you described him.I thought he got robbed against Mustafa Hamsho.

I had a drink with Ken Buchanan in Manchester before the second Benn-Eubank fight and the fight was almost an anti-climax.

I always wanted to meet him and I know he would have been exactly as you described him.I thought he got robbed against Mustafa Hamsho.

I had a drink with Ken Buchanan in Manchester before the second Benn-Eubank fight and the fight was almost an anti-climax.

I’ve got a photo of me with minter at the ABA finals in the late 80-s

Master
    I’ve got a photo of me with minter at the ABA finals in the late 80-s
    I wouldn't mind a look at this if you could put it up or send it.

Master
    Anybody else remember Frankie Lucas??

He was a real wildman and actually stopped Minter before the '72 Olympics but Minter won the rematch.
    He also boxed Sibson and Finnegan.

I think the Americans dismissed Minter when they saw the stoppage losses on his record which were all due to cuts but in the States marked down as a KO loss.
    Minter had a lovely left jab (edit, Minter was a cack hander so right jab) when he choose to box, had a KO punch and a good set of whiskers.
    Minter wobbled Hagler in his losing title fight and not many managed that.
    Only for the marvellous one Minter may have had some successful title defences.

Last edited by RD200; 11th September 2020 at 13:37.

Sad to hear of Alan's passing.

A World champion, something not many can say.

RIP.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I’ll dig it out. And with Charlie magri another
    Good well known pro. When he had a sports shop in soho

In 1988 I was reroofing the Today Newspaper Building. The building was shared with the Boxing Board of Control.
    Stripping the roof up (Asphalt) was a nightmare.
    We were using Kango hammers. My labourer said to me, ‘Paul this fella in the suit wants us to stop for an hour while they have a meeting’ I said tell him to f*** off. The labourer came back, Paul he wants to speak to you.
    The fella in the suit said ‘can you give us any peace?’ I said listen mate if I don’t get you water tight you’ll be flooded if it rains.
    I tell you what I’ll do, I’ll give you 20 minutes while we have a cup of tea.
    After he left, the labourer said to me, ‘did you realise you just told Alan Minter to F***Off’!

RIP Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    RIP Alan Minter. A true pro. I am currently in the rabbit hole of YouTube watching some 80s fights.
    Watch Herol Graham and Julian Jackson. RIP Alan Minter.

Bought a 2nd hand copy of Oscar de La Hoya's autobiography and found an old ex pro boxer membership card of Alan Minter being used as a book mark.
    Was in at page 38........ to be fair it is a very dry read!

Master
    @RD200,

Our battalion Provost Serjeant was in the '72 Olympic squad with Alan Minter.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Lovely stuff.

Remember the Hagler fight as a young kid, was gutted our man got stopped. Hagler was a different gravy though, an all time great. Was delighted when Ray Leonard beat him - my favourite growing up.

RIP.

Master
    What is your Sarjeant's name ?
    I remember seeing George Turpin at boxing shows I was on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Lovely stuff.

Remember the Hagler fight as a young kid, was gutted our man got stopped. Hagler was a different gravy though, an all time great. Was delighted when Ray Leonard beat him - my favourite growing up.

RIP.
    Hagler is still the scariest fighter I've ever seen.
    By the time he fought Leonard he'd started to slide after hard fights against Mugabi and Juan Rolden and Leonard picked the right time to challenge him.
    I've always subscribed to the old boxing idea that to take the title of an established champion it has to ripped away and not by a hotly disputed decision
    I've watched Hagler-Leonard a few times and still can't pick a conclusive winner.
    It was only in Leonard's last fight against Hector Camacho when he'd slowed down considerably that you could see how skilfull he really was.
    At 147lb and 154lb he's up there at the top with Sugar Ray Robinson and personally I'd pick Leonard.

Master
    What is your Sarjeant's name ?
    I remember seeing George Turpin at boxing shows I was on.

RD200,
    Billy Taylor. He had a short professional career after the Olympics I think.

Master
    RD200,
    Billy Taylor. He had a short professional career after the Olympics I think.
    He must've been useful if he went to the Olympics.
    Is Billy Knight in the front row ?

Master
    RIP Alan.

The 70s and 80s were the most exciting times for boxing IMHO. Along with the great names already mentioned I remember Colin Jones, Kirkland Laing and Jim McDonnell.

I remember as a young lad watching Colin Jones Vs Milton Mcrory, I think it was in Vegas. It finished up as a draw but what a fight.

Master
    He must've been useful if he went to the Olympics.
    Is Billy Knight in the front row ?
    I'm afraid I don't know the names. Billy Taylor is front row second left as we look at it. The photo was on the battalion Facebook page.

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/vz7TSZz.jpg
    Some great names on this poster, Billy Taylor is on the bottom line.
    Look at the ticket prices!

He was a tough and incredibly brave boxer sadly My only memory of Him is being utterly outclassed by Marvin Hagler and the,
    'Sporting',English crowd chucking seats,etc into the ring RIP Alan Minter.

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/vz7TSZz.jpg
    Some great names on this poster, Billy Taylor is on the bottom line.
    Look at the ticket prices!
    I thought Vernon Sollas was going to go all the way, sadly he didn't.
    How times have changed, Bunny Johnson fighting at Heavyweight was only around 13 stone.
    It says Alan Minter Olympic gold medalist but he actually got bronze.
    I've still got some of the programmes from when I boxed.

Last edited by RD200; 14th September 2020 at 11:15.

Master
    I thought Vernon Sollas was going to go all the way, sadly he didn't.
    How times have changed, Bunny Johnson fighting at Heavyweight was only around 13 stone.
    It says Alan Minter Olympic gold medalist but he actually got bronze.
    I've still got some of the programmes from when I boxed.

I'm no expert but that seems to have been a great era for boxing.

Master
    I'm no expert but that seems to have been a great era for boxing.
    Except at Heavyweight were British boxing was a joke to the Americans.
    All changed now though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    He was a tough and incredibly brave boxer sadly My only memory of Him is being utterly outclassed by Marvin Hagler and the,
    'Sporting',English crowd chucking seats,etc into the ring RIP Alan Minter.
    Re the crowd, it wouldn't have been what he'd have wanted to be remembered for👍
    Minter would have probably beaten any other Middleweight around at the time but Hagler was a monster.

Re the crowd, it wouldn't have been what he'd have wanted to be remembered for
    Minter would have probably beaten any other Middleweight around at the time but Hagler was a monster.
    Very well said a sad loss to Our hall of Champions I still remember John Conteh ,Davey Boy Green,Little Charlie Magri,Loyd Honeyghan the real beast Nigel Benn and that irritating but hugely talented,Chris Eubank Snr. to name but a few.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We were staying The Tenerife Royal Sunset beach club Benn was staying there using the Gym while preparing for one of his World Title fights, also Bruno used the Gym most days as he was preparing for a bout. I remember watching them train, god almighty I would not want to get anywhere near them in a ring, the power they have is awesome. Benn was a nice guy, presenting me with my award for the Archery competition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Very well said a sad loss to Our hall of Champions I still remember John Conteh ,Davey Boy Green,Little Charlie Magri,Loyd Honeyghan the real beast Nigel Benn and that irritating but hugely talented,Chris Eubank Snr. to name but a few.
    A good list of fighters there I liked them all but John Conteh although he won a world title, could have done much more.
    He was a natural athlete, fit as a butchers dog and a lovely boxer.Early on in his career before he had trouble with his right hand I saw him ko a fighter named Preacher Lewis......wow what a punch.
    Conteh also had a top fighter's killer instinct and knew where to put his head

Master
    We were staying The Tenerife Royal Sunset beach club Benn was staying there using the Gym while preparing for one of his World Title fights, also Bruno used the Gym most days as he was preparing for a bout. I remember watching them train, god almighty I would not want to get anywhere near them in a ring, the power they have is awesome. Benn was a nice guy, presenting me with my award for the Archery competition.
    Benn is probably the most exciting fighter this country's ever had and both him and Eubank were hugely talented although Benn had much the better stamina and was a better boxer.
    Watching Benn train is enough for anyone to realise how fight fit they have to be.
    Bruno was never a natural fighter or boxer but gave 100% to get where he did.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/C1YPcgw
    Early 80,s junior aba finals London
    And Margris sports shop Bethnall green

Master
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/C1YPcgw
    Early 80,s junior aba finals London
    And Margris sports shop Bethnall green
    Thanks.
    Were you boxing that night?
    Minter is looking good in that pic and so's wee Charlie in the other.
    I got a trophy presented to me one night by Walter McGowan, another former flyweight champ but I had concussion and don't remember it