closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Warning* Rolex Rant

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watch.aholic View Post
    I doubt if this price gouging in the secondary market is without Rolex clandestine collusion.

They are a mass producer of watches and they know that if they scale up their production their merchandise is going to drastically fall in value. At the moment the inability to secure Rolex at retail prices is the unfulfilled challenge that propels the desirability.
    Remove that and you'd eliminate the premium people are willing to pay.
    My understanding is Rolex are actively trying to limit models reaching grey dealers.

The production of professional models is, I assume at a similar level to how it always was. The problem is that demand has increased due to the desirability of having an item that is deemed a must have item and it’s ability to retain value coupled with “the sell for a quick profit merchants”.
    No matter how many people say it’s mass produced and bandy about other note worthy watches. The fact is there is a greater demand for the product than supply and it holds its value.
    If that were not the case I’m sure neither the grey dealers or the Instagram wannabees would not crave the product.

If you want the product you play the game. If you don’t then that’s fine to. Either way I’m pretty sure Rolex will still have sufficient customers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    My understanding is Rolex are actively trying to limit models reaching grey dealers.
    Love to know what they are doing because you wonder what they think their success rate is. They only need to look at eBay to see there is a massive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Love to know what they are doing because you wonder what they think their success rate is. They only need to look at eBay to see there is a massive issue.
    Definitely an issue although not sure how massive. I suspect lot of what we see grey is old/genuine pre-owned and not straight from the AD. I've seen some of the new Kermits grey but nothing like what I thought I'd see. I wonder how far we are from SOTC checks before being allowed on a list ;)

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'd love to know what they're supposed to do? The minute the watch is sold, it's now the customers and they can do whatever they like with it.

The people we should blame for the ludicrous situation is the flippers who are just in it for a quick profit. Not the brand that provides an in-demand product at a relatively reasonable price, rather than trying to gouge as at RRP (relative to what folk seem to be willing to pay anyway). I just don't get how it's Rolex issue what people do with their own watches.

Craftsman
    I prefer the "old" one with single baton hour markers:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Last year I bought an Black Dial OP39...
    Double on 3-6-9 on the 41 and 36mm spoils them.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Personally I find that Rolex are good at taking a solid design and spoiling it slightly

The real question is: why has no other brand been able to find the same magic formula as Rolex at a similar price bracket???? Why are the rest of them so “incompetent” ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    The real question is: why has no other brand been able to find the same magic formula as Rolex at a similar price bracket???? Why are the rest of them so “incompetent” ??

AP, Patek, FP Journe?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    AP, Patek, FP Journe?
    Not a similar price point to a typical SS Rolex and for AP the hype only applies to a limited number of models.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    I prefer the "old" one with single baton hour markers:

Double on 3-6-9 on the 41 and 36mm spoils them.

Personally I find that Rolex are good at taking a solid design and spoiling it slightly
    Perhaps it was just too close the DateJust 41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Perhaps it was just too close the DateJust 41.

That’s a good point, though I wonder if the OP39 with a date would have looked even better than the DJ41. Of course it was also a cheaper alternative to the Explorer, and having gained an easilink and a new movement was in danger of upstaging it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post

AP, Patek, FP Journe?
    Similar price bracket?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Similar price bracket?
    Ah, missed the coloured part.

Master
    Definitely an issue although not sure how massive. I suspect lot of what we see grey is old/genuine pre-owned and not straight from the AD.
    No, seriously, have a look at eBay!

I posted on the 2020 Rolex thread someone who has their coral dial OP listed on eBay already. Must have been acquired in the last couple of days.