closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a (good) dilemma, opinions needed!

Journeyman
    I do genuinely like the Vacheron. The blue is stunning, the date is subtle (which for me is a plus), and if you love it, the idea of it being 'entry level' doesn't really mean anything. Particularly if you can get it discounted or recently secondhand, I think it's a great watch.

With that said, I love the UN below - the Classico Manufacture is also resplendent in blue, and a really classy watch. The small seconds are a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    As a total UN fanboy and in keeping with the colour and style of the above watches I'd suggest the Classico Manufacture

Personally I'd go for one of their divers or marine torpilleur

or

Craftsman
    Wow, thankyou for all the replies, it has certainly divided opinion, and what I was hoping for with the post. Some excellent comments.

Agree that I need to see these in the flesh again, and will do before a decision. Maybe, I’m being a bit shallow in chasing the Holy Trinity moniker, but I do like the watch. So yes, maybe I’m blinkered on that score as mentioned in earlier posts.

Some good food for thought, thankyou all again. Will take some time to think this one over more, and seeing them in the flesh when possible will possibly swing it.

As for the alternative selections also, especially the Blancpain which was on the shortlist.thankyou.

Journeyman
    Definitely the VC for me

VC

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The GO looks amazing... I love the cushion shape and the 70s styling

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    The GO looks amazing... I love the cushion shape and the 70s styling
    Agree with this, VC looks quite ordinary in comparison. Some will buy the name

I love the style of the GO, but I really don't like their copperplate logo - it looks like the sort of thing you see on a fashion watch. VC has the quality and the heritage. Thought about a VO Overseas? The latest ones are simply stunning.

Sent from my SM-N970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    You have a tough choice in front of you both are stunners. Hopefully you will pick the right one the first time

I suspect it’s not helpful, but if the Blancpain was in budget I’d take that any day of the week over either the GO or the VC.

I think TV dials are very divisive, and not my cup of tea... and personally I think the VC is rather boring to be honest.

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Hi all,

Been allocated some monies by the treasury (Mrs Weasel) for an upcoming milestone, and using money left to me after my mother recently passed away. So will be a definate keeper for that reason alone.
    I need to sell 1 or 2 of the collection but comfortable with that as I wish to reduce my collection anyway.
    Currently, I have all bases covered with dress watch, daily wear and beater plus others, so filling a spot is covered.
    Without droning on, the 2 watches that I'm struggling to decide are the Vacheron Constantin 56 or the Glashütte Original 70s.
    Im heavily leaning towards the glashütte, as this was one I should have bought 12 months ago. The case shape, panarama date, and the beautiful blue dial just sing to me. The cushion case and the beautiful movement through the case back.
    However, a colleague of mine purchased a vacheron constantin 56 blue dial recently, and wow. I knew about this watch, but without selling watches I aim to keep this was a touch to far at approaching 11k.
    The movement and finishing I seen was exquisite to my eyes and trying it on was just perfect, perfectly legible apart from the tiny date window. This would not be a deal breaker though. As Vacheron are part of the Holy Trinity, this would be a massive step in my watch collecting career! I know this does not display the Geneve Seal, and the movement is not strictly in house, but finished and regulated by vacheron. However, this is still a watch from the Holy trinity.
    I just can't shake the Glashütte, but the natural progression, for me anyway would be the Vacheron.
    Both are very legible in the configuration below, the glashütte more so regards the date.

If the 2 were placed before you now, which would you go for and why?

Yes, I know choose what you want will be some of the repies.. I would just like some opinions, or better still any owners of the two.

P. S. My late mother would chose the VC hands down...

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Hi OP,

Have you made a decision yet?

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Hi OP,

Have you made a decision yet?

BW,
    Chi Kai

Not yet, I need to visit Bahrain when travel allows to see them again. Funny enough was in Riyadh yesterday and tried my best to get out to view the VC, work had other ideas....

Don’t think it will be long though before travel is back up and running here now. Gives me more time to consider the fifty fathoms that was on the shortlist, and now back on.... as an outsider though :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I suspect it’s not helpful, but if the Blancpain was in budget I’d take that any day of the week over either the GO or the VC.

I think TV dials are very divisive, and not my cup of tea... and personally I think the VC is rather boring to be honest.

Simon
    Hello Simon - what's a TV dial if I may ask?

To OP - I have never seen either watch in the flesh but with that said I personally think the VC is a little staid and would prefer the GO too; the outsize date just looks great (admittedly, never having seen it it may be nothing like as good looking in real life!). But as has been well said already, at this level of watch and for the reason you are buying you need to try both on and see which makes you smile or sings to you more.

It's a dial that looks like the screen of an old telly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I think it's a little bit retro, but I do like it. Something about the curves reminds me a bit of the Hamilton Pulsar.

Master
    Usually I would say VC but not in this case. The VC 3 hander uses a Cartier calibre and is not a proper vacheron movement. If you are going for a Vacheron 56, try for the day date, that one has a VERY good vacheron caliber and really vfm from that perspective and is ofcourse geneva hallmark etc. This movement was typically found in much more expensive vacherons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The squinty little date window on the VC is horrendous! A nightmare of poor design.
    Its because its a cartier watch and does not even carry geneva hallmark.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yes, I realised after I wrote it that I’m probably dating myself a bit with that description!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Yes, I realised after I wrote it that I’m probably dating myself a bit with that description!

Simon
    I'm convinced that TZ-UK is the "devil's work", for year's I've hated TV dials, yet I'm now drawn to the 70's vibe like a...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Of the two I definitely prefer the VC. It reminds me a little of the sector dialled JLC's from a couple of years back, which I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Usually I would say VC but not in this case. The VC 3 hander uses a Cartier calibre and is not a proper vacheron movement. If you are going for a Vacheron 56, try for the day date, that one has a VERY good vacheron caliber and really vfm from that perspective and is ofcourse geneva hallmark etc. This movement was typically found in much more expensive vacherons.
    Sigh, myself and ctam have pointed this out earlier, but it's been pretty much disregarded.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Sigh, myself and ctam have pointed this out earlier, but it's been pretty much disregarded.

Master
    Ah sorry mate, I missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Ah sorry mate, I missed it!
    Not at all, entirely worth re-emphasising because its the crux of the issue. IMO it is not a proper VC, and so disqualifies itself from being a watch from the so called ‘holy trinity’.

Craftsman
    Not at all, entirely worth re-emphasising because its the crux of the issue. IMO it is not a proper VC, and so disqualifies itself from being a watch from the so called ‘holy trinity’.

crazyp, the point was not overlooked by myself, and taken onboard, especially your latest comment on being "disqualified from the Holy Trinity", Indeed after further research it appears to be quite the opinion of a lot of people, and now started to resonate slightly more with myself. I still like the watch, but after starting this thread i'm beginning to see what yourself and many others believe regards the movement.

Can i push to the Day/Date, yes but not without sacrifice.... and if i did spend that sort of money, i would be looking at the Overseas, either way i have time to decide if at all the deciding factor will be the movement. For me, it's a beautiful watch and one i would be proud to own...... but, the movement :)

Appreciate the thoughts and comments.

Craftsman
    crazyp, the point was not overlooked by myself, and taken onboard, especially your latest comment on being "disqualified from the Holy Trinity", Indeed after further research it appears to be quite the opinion of a lot of people, and now started to resonate slightly more with myself. I still like the watch, but after starting this thread i'm beginning to see what yourself and many others believe regards the movement.

Can i push to the Day/Date, yes but not without sacrifice.... and if i did spend that sort of money, i would be looking at the Overseas, either way i have time to decide if at all the deciding factor will be the movement. For me, it's a beautiful watch and one i would be proud to own...... but, the movement :)

I think the movement decoration of the day-date is a bit finer than on the overseas. Does the overseas (excluding the top models) have Geneva seal?

Also overseas and fifty-six are very different styles. Do you want sporty or dressy?

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    I still think you should look to the overseas, especially as this is a keeper. If it takes sacrificing a current watch or waiting another year I think you’ll be glad you did. The 3 strap option will justify it. Whilst on leather it’s not the same as the other VC you we’re looking at, but it goes along way towards it. The bracelet is incredible and the rubber option just completes all options.

I didn't want to be too forceful in my opinion - but then again, you're spending a lot of money, so wanted to re-emphasise so there is no buyers remorse.

I think the movement decoration of the day-date is a bit finer than on the overseas. Does the overseas (excluding the top models) have Geneva seal?

Also overseas and fifty-six are very different styles. Do you want sporty or dressy?

BW,
    Chi Kai

All Overseas have geneva seal finishing. IIRC, all VCs up to this new fiftysix series had geneva seal movements, it was kind of the point of VC holding to a certain standard. I do agree that Desert_Weasel needs to figure out what sort of watch he wants - sporty or dressy. Either way, he'll need to up his budget if he wants a VC

Craftsman
    I didn't want to be too forceful in my opinion - but then again, you're spending a lot of money, so wanted to re-emphasise so there is no buyers remorse.

All Overseas have geneva seal finishing. IIRC, all VCs up to this new fiftysix series had geneva seal movements, it was kind of the point of VC holding to a certain standard. I do agree that Desert_Weasel needs to figure out what sort of watch he wants - sporty or dressy. Either way, he'll need to up his budget if he wants a VC

But an enjoyable dilemma!

Craftsman

BW,
    Chi Kai

Ctam,

I have all bases so to speak covered so it's not a major concern, however i feel the 56 is what i'm drawn to the most. My point is, the Overseas is an outstanding watch and if i did spend 19k that is what i would choose. But i would need to make sacrifices that i really do not wish to do, hence why the 56 3 hander was high on my list. The GO could be considered sporty also in same regard.

Thanks again.

Mick.

Craftsman
    And exactly why the comments are appreciated.

Craftsman
    Ctam,

I have all bases so to speak covered so it's not a major concern, however i feel the 56 is what i'm drawn to the most. My point is, the Overseas is an outstanding watch and if i did spend 19k that is what i would choose. But i would need to make sacrifices that i really do not wish to do, hence why the 56 3 hander was high on my list. The GO could be considered sporty also in same regard.

Thanks again.

Mick.
    can’t wait to see what you get in the end! Whatever decision, it will be a wonderful piece.

Craftsman
    Thanks to all who replied and offered great advice and opinions, taken the comments on-board and had a serious think regards the Geneva Seal issue and Cartier movement albeit finished and regulated by VC. How much would it bother me in the long run? If i will be spending this sort of money, it could end up with serious buyers remorse knowing it's not a real Vacheron Constantin :) After some discussions via PM on here, and thank you to those who did. Special thanks to Devonian who took the time to respond to my PM and offer sound reasoning.

My collection may get decimated, except for the sentimental watches... however, i have decided to pick up the Overseas. Already in contact with the Boutique and explained that i wish to view both Black dial and Blue versions and he will be in touch once they have the Blue dial available. They offer no discount on the Blue version as they have a long waiting list, but offered a great discount on the black dial that worked out at just shy of 15k, understandable as the blue is the most desirable version i suppose.

Never thought this thread would lead to the position now, but something inside knows this is the right decision in the long run. And shows the sound advice and knowledge on this forum!

Will update the thread when i finally make the purchase.... thank you all again.
    Last edited by Desert_Weasel; 18th September 2020 at 12:24. Reason: spelling

Craftsman
    Thanks to all who replied and offered great advice and opinions, taken the comments on-board and had a serious think regards the Geneva Seal issue and Cartier movement albeit finished and regulated by VC. How much would it bother me in the long run? If i will be spending this sort of money, it could end up with serious buyers remorse knowing it's not a real Vacheron Constantin :) After some discussions via PM on here, and thank you to those who did. Special thanks to Devonian who took the time to respond to my PM and offer sound reasoning.

My collection may get decimated, except for the sentimental watches... however, i have decided to pick up the Overseas. Already in contact with the Boutique and explained that i wish to view both Black dial and Blue versions and he will be in touch once they have the Blue dial available. They offer no discount on the Blue version as they have a long waiting list, but offered a great discount on the black dial that worked out at just shy of 15k, understandable as the blue is the most desirable version i suppose.

Never thought this thread would lead to the position now, but something inside knows this is the right decision in the long run. And shows the sound advice and knowledge on this forum!

Will update the thread when i finally make the purchase.... thank you all again.
    This is great! The black dial overseas is a wonderful choice!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    FWIW with you’re reasoning for this special purchase, I think you’re making the right choice. Hardest decision now will be the stunning blue dial (no pictures do it justice and certainly not mine) or the black dial (which I’ve not seen so can’t comment) at quite a significant discount. My guess is that it’s not the dial alone that will make the decision for you, it’s how the rubber and leather straps look. Looking forward to seeing the incoming at some time in the future :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    There’s your answer, and a belting choice too.

P. S. My late mother would chose the VC hands down...
    Totally agree with you on that. VC for me too!

Craftsman
    Update, deposit placed VC Overseas Black Dial will be with me 2nd week of October. Got a 10 hour round trip to collect it once arrived from Geneva to the Boutique.
    Must say though it’s going to be one of the best road trip in memory..... the boutique in Riyadh were excellent, and as soon as I registered my interest with numerous calls and what’s app messages, they assured me it will be delivered October.
    Excited is an understatement... will update further when I have the watch.

Mick.

Craftsman
    Update, deposit placed VC Overseas Black Dial will be with me 2nd week of October. Got a 10 hour round trip to collect it once arrived from Geneva to the Boutique.
    Must say though it’s going to be one of the best road trip in memory..... the boutique in Riyadh were excellent, and as soon as I registered my interest with numerous calls and what’s app messages, they assured me it will be delivered October.

Mick.
    Bit late to this, but when I read the OP I thought 'the correct answer here is a VC Overseas'. So it was a pleasant surprise when I read further down that you came to the same conclusion!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    One is very beautiful.

The other isn't.
    Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? That VC is a no-no for me purely as it is a "2,4,6,8,10" dial - I just can't stand that format, no matter who makes it.

Craftsman

Mick.
    Congrats! Pics when it arrives!

Master

Mick.
    Well done Mick, you’ve made a really great decision.

Congrats and a great decision. Compared to where this thread started you're ending on a really superb watch. 10 hour road trip sounds brutal but all part of the game.

Master
    Great decision...

Glad you went for the Overseas. And rather envious!

Sent from my SM-N970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Went to Riyadh yesterday to visit the Vacheron Constantin Boutique.

The final piece was available to view and try. I have moved around on this thread after starting at the 56. As mentioned above in an earlier post the decision to purchase the Overseas was made.

After releasing some pieces, to make this purchase my mind was set, the call came a few days ago that it had arrived.

Now, maybe a week ago I checked my collection and realized that if this was the one it would mean another 3 hander in my collection. I called the boutique and enquired about another piece that was over budget, but thought this needs to be the right choice and 100% sure and committed. I eliminated this piece due to being more than i had budgeted for, and if the original piece was not suitable I would walk away and save some more to obtain it if required.

After introductions, the pieces were brought out to view. Immediately I knew which one I wanted, and fortunately Mrs Weasel agreed. She is not really one for taking interest in my watches but she said that this is you!!, she really liked the complications and the hints of red.

I decided to take an hour away, even though I was sure and went for coffee.
    Mrs Weasel said that if I'm spending this amount of money it has to be right, and said that if I want that one then get it.

I'm sure that even though we know it's correct, doubt does creep in, for me anyway spending this much. We went back and I spent over 1 hour trying the different straps, checking legibility and looks away from those horrendous boutique lights. I actually asked them to dim the lights in another area of the boutique, like a separate area or booth if you will, and even went into the boutique staff area to check under normal lighting. I don't t know why I went this far to be honest, but it had to be right, I was bitten before with legibility issue, or it could be my age!!!
    The only serious doubt in the pictures online quickly disappeared under normal lighting, and to be fair the boutique. This was not as prominent as pictures had me believe.

Sorry to ramble on, however seen as this thread peaked some interest and excellent comments,.. I just knew deep down that I wanted this after I moved up to the Overseas. A few PM's with members on here and again some sage like advice the below was my choice...

Got to say, the bracelet extension is already proving a huge hit due to the change in climates from outdoor to inside in a hot climate I live in. It's just so simple and easy to get a comfortable fit.

And no visit to Riyadh is complete without a trip to the top of Kingdom Tower.

All in all, well worth the 870km round trip!!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Desert_Weasel; 2nd October 2020 at 15:09.

^^^^what a stunning watch. A good choice.

Much more of a looker than an equivalent priced AP or PP.

Master
    Congrats Mick that looks amazing and as amazing as the pics look, VC’s look even better in the flesh!

That sir is a beautiful thing, enjoy.

That is absolutely stunning. You must be chuffed.

Journeyman
    What an absolutely perfect watch. Just stunning. Having done all your homework and put a lot of thought into making such a big decision it must feel brilliant now to be the owner of such a magnificent watch and to know you 100% made the right choice.

I am incredibly envious (I dream of the day I go to the Vacheron boutique to claim an Overseas for myself!) and wish you all the best with it. It certainly looks incredible on you; wear it in good health.

P.S. Amazing to have such a supportive wife, too - lucky not to have it hide it in your closet and hope it isn’t noticed!

Stunning watch, congrats.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app